Texas Hunting Forum

Peanut Butter for Deer?

Posted By: J78

Peanut Butter for Deer? - 09/02/10 06:36 PM

Some of ya'll have mentioned screwing a peanut butter jar to a tree to attract deer. Does it work? How high off the ground do you mount the jar? If so, do you have problems with other animals trying to eat it to, squirrels, racoons, ants, etc..?

Posted By: BowSlayer

Re: Peanut Butter for Deer? - 09/02/10 06:42 PM

The only problem that I have with it is that the old deer tend to get their dentures stuck in the peanut butter...lol. Honestly, I have never heard of that one before.

Posted By: fjdave

Re: Peanut Butter for Deer? - 09/02/10 07:27 PM

Not sure how well it attracts the deer but they do like it. I put a jar up near my feeder and they had it cleaned out after a few days.

Posted By: cody

Re: Peanut Butter for Deer? - 09/02/10 07:41 PM

Originally Posted By: J78
Some of ya'll have mentioned screwing a peanut butter jar to a tree to attract deer. Does it work? How high off the ground do you mount the jar? If so, do you have problems with other animals trying to eat it to, squirrels, racoons, ants, etc..?

You wouldn't believe how well it works...I generally like to find a 20' to 30' oak tree and screw the jar to a limb at the very top (that way hogs can't get it). I've literally seen deer jump to grab a branch 8' up and shinny right up the tree with a sleeve of ritz crackers...I have no clue where they get the crackers. I've even see three and four deer working together (sitting on each other's shoulders) to get to the jar...
Try it...it's well worth the effort...

Posted By: txhunter24

Re: Peanut Butter for Deer? - 09/02/10 07:44 PM

Originally Posted By: cody

You wouldn't believe how well it works...I generally like to find a 20' to 30' oak tree and screw the jar to a limb at the very top (that way hogs can't get it). I've literally seen deer jump to grab a branch 8' up and shinny right up the tree with a sleeve of ritz crackers...I have no clue where they get the crackers. I've even see three and four deer working together (sitting on each other's shoulders) to get to the jar...

This is true. They can do anything when they work together. Heck I've even seen them corner a dairy cow and milk her to wash down the Jiff.

Posted By: mikeydon

Re: Peanut Butter for Deer? - 09/02/10 08:01 PM

I went to the dollar store and bought the biggest jar of peanut butter i could find,carried it to my feeder and tied it to the legg of my feeder with about three foot lead of trott line cord so they would have to work for it.the grass was nearly gone from them pushing it in a 3ft. circle,in 4 day's the jar looked like it had been in a dish washer,OH yes it work's.Try it up

Posted By: GigEmAggies

Re: Peanut Butter for Deer? - 09/02/10 11:43 PM

i heard the same thing and tried it a few years ago but they never touched it....

Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Peanut Butter for Deer? - 09/03/10 01:16 AM

go to sams club and get you a 1 gallon tub of PB and a 1 gallon tub of molasses - mix together and hang about 6 feet off the ground. drill a few holes in the bottom and you will get a slow drip. the deer go nuts over it. I use it over know trails between feeding and bedding areas when I bow hunt.

Posted By: ccoker

Re: Peanut Butter for Deer? - 09/03/10 01:21 AM

I have tried it 2 times at the same spot, in a field in front of a stand where the deer come out like clockwork on the way to a winter's wheat field to feed in the evening.

the first time, you could see them catch a wiff of it about 100 yards away and make a beeline for it...

a year later, same spot, same prevailing wind, same deer
completely ignored it

now, the first time was some organic stuff that you have to stir the oil, 2nd time was jiff or whatever...

coincidenc ? total fluke?

who knows...
but it absolutely worked the first time, and it was just a spoonful...

Posted By: bigbuck1

Re: Peanut Butter for Deer? - 09/03/10 01:40 AM

I have used it several times over the years and they cleaned it up every time. It works for me.

Posted By: obryankl

Re: Peanut Butter for Deer? - 09/03/10 01:46 AM

Ha, too funny.

Posted By: NTX270

Re: Peanut Butter for Deer? - 09/03/10 02:26 AM

To read about the basic idea, click:

http://www.ehow.com/way_5418196_homemade-deer-bait-peanut-butter.html

Posted By: Wildphilhickup

Re: Peanut Butter for Deer? - 09/03/10 02:38 AM

Popcorn, marshmallows, chocolate bars, smores, and divinity also work really good. A little salsa with it helps too.

I have caught numerous undocumented workers with all of these.

Oh sorry, wrong post. I thought you all was trappin' illegal immigrants.

Posted By: Chris Burton

Re: Peanut Butter for Deer? - 09/03/10 03:00 AM

I put out a jar 2 days ago for the first time and checked it tpday its half gone. I have to get a camera on it. I put it about three feet up on a big oak. Working in wise county

Posted By: SpoonPlatoon

Re: Peanut Butter for Deer? - 09/03/10 03:09 AM

Ask dustinZ71 about peanut butter and apples

Posted By: jackwabbit2

Re: Peanut Butter for Deer? - 09/04/10 01:30 AM

I dip my indian corn in pb they love it and seem to stay around longer bolt

Posted By: 100%TEXAN

Re: Peanut Butter for Deer? - 09/04/10 11:52 AM

Originally Posted By: jackwabbit2
I dip my indian corn in pb they love it and seem to stay around longer bolt

And there it is.

Posted By: Ray Ray

Re: Peanut Butter for Deer? - 09/04/10 12:02 PM

I had a couple of hunters on our lease try it, the peanut butter lasted about 3-4 days, but it wasn't deer that cleaned the jars, it was racoons. Once found they would normally break the jar off the tree.

Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Peanut Butter for Deer? - 09/04/10 06:27 PM

Originally Posted By: BowSlayer
The only problem that I have with it is that the old deer tend to get their dentures stuck in the peanut butter...lol. Honestly, I have never heard of that one before.

Don't use the crunchy kind..... something about peanuts and dentures on the older deer roflmao

Simple Method
Open a large jar of peanut butter--crunchy is preferred. Securely screw the lid of the peanut butter to a tree in a known high-traffic deer route about 4 or 5 feet off the ground. Screw the jar back onto the lid. Use a utility knife to cut the bottom off the peanut butter jar. This provides a wonderful attractant for the deer.

Read more: Best Way - Homemade Deer Bait With Peanut Butter | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/way_5418196_homemade-deer-bait-peanut-butter.html#ixzz0yav45dW5

Posted By: trapperjustin

Re: Peanut Butter for Deer? - 09/04/10 07:45 PM

i guess we will see about the peanut butter. put a jar up today with a am over looking it. might go back out monday and check the pics if any are there

Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Peanut Butter for Deer? - 09/04/10 08:59 PM

Ya, the coon love it, and in the heat the peanut butter just runs out of the jar, waste of time and money.

Posted By: GAS

Re: Peanut Butter for Deer? - 09/06/10 01:12 PM

rofl rofl

I have used it before. Yes the coons will eat it before the deer will. I used a old feeder funnel on a T post to keep the coons out wire the lid to the T post at the top about 3' , 4' high, also don't cut all the bottom of the jar out. Leave a lip on the bottom to keep it from running out when it gets the weather gets warm. All so to keep the fire ants out I used double sided tape below the jar. A good place to get the peanut butter is the $ store they had it last year for .98 a jar. You don't have to buy JIff the deer don't care. They cant read the label

Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Peanut Butter for Deer? - 09/06/10 04:41 PM

Originally Posted By: GAS

rofl rofl

I have used it before. Yes the coons will eat it before the deer will. I used a old feeder funnel on a T post to keep the coons out wire the lid to the T post at the top about 3' , 4' high, also don't cut all the bottom of the jar out. Leave a lip on the bottom to keep it from running out when it gets the weather gets warm. All so to keep the fire ants out I used double sided tape below the jar. A good place to get the peanut butter is the $ store they had it last year for .98 a jar. You don't have to buy JIff the deer don't care. They cant read the label

You mean choosy deer don't choose Jiff?

Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Peanut Butter for Deer? - 09/06/10 06:48 PM

I tried it once, put a camera up and everything. had a deer come up to it once, then camera went down. Came out a few weeks later to discuver it on the ground. I have no idea what got to it, but I'm betting coons

Posted By: WhataBuck

Re: Peanut Butter for Deer? - 09/06/10 10:26 PM

Hmm... Cheap enough to give it a try!

Posted By: Skydual

Re: Peanut Butter for Deer? - 09/06/10 11:40 PM

I had the same problem. The deer never touched the peanut butter. Maybe I should have chose JIF.

Posted By: Chris Burton

Re: Peanut Butter for Deer? - 09/10/10 02:15 AM

I put out another jar tonite. I also put a camera out near it. I hope to post some pics Sunday

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum