Texas Hunting Forum

Soy Beans? Soy Bean and Corn mix?

Posted By: Deerhunter61

Soy Beans? Soy Bean and Corn mix? - 08/06/10 04:57 AM

I was just wondering if any of you are using soy beans exclusively in your feeders and if so what are the results? Are the deer hitting it better than corn?

What about a mixture of Soybeans and Corn?

I have been using a mixture I picked up at the feedstore and it seems to be getting hit pretty hard. Unfortunately when I went to the lease this past weekend a squirrel had gotten into my cage on my feeder and within two weeks had spun all the feed out so I only have pics from the first part of June so no recent pics to see what might be coming now.

Thanks for any responses.

Posted By: txhunter7

Re: Soy Beans? Soy Bean and Corn mix? - 08/06/10 05:38 PM

what is the mixture that you are using?

Posted By: Brownwood

Re: Soy Beans? Soy Bean and Corn mix? - 08/06/10 05:42 PM

Ive been using a roasted soybean and corn mix for a few years. It seems like I get a little higher buck traffic and it makes my feed a little different than the neighbors. Its also higher in protein but at spin feeder levels i dont think it helps like a free will protein feeder does.

Posted By: Stompy

Re: Soy Beans? Soy Bean and Corn mix? - 08/06/10 07:45 PM

I tried the soybean corn mix a few years ago. I don't know if it was the product I was buying or not but the bean was half the size of a kernal of corn. The deer would pick out the corn and the birds and turkey would eat the beans.

Posted By: txhunter24

Re: Soy Beans? Soy Bean and Corn mix? - 08/06/10 07:52 PM

I use Mr. Buck's corn and roasted soy bean like Brownwood said using it out of a spin feeder will not benefit nutritionally but it sure does seem to be a powerful attractant.

Posted By: Big Tony

Re: Soy Beans? Soy Bean and Corn mix? - 08/06/10 08:07 PM

It will bing 'em in quick. It will bring in damaging Pigs too. Be prepared. Dog gone stuff smells just like peanut butter.

Re: Soy Beans? Soy Bean and Corn mix? - 08/06/10 08:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Big Tony
Dog gone stuff smells just like peanut butter.

it sure does. A couple weeks ago we set up some deer buffets out at our place each feeder spot got the following....

-corn and soybean in the feeders
-a small bale of green alfalfa
-apple and corn deer block

hopefully they appreciate all we do for them! hammer grin

Posted By: crash700

Re: Soy Beans? Soy Bean and Corn mix? - 08/08/10 09:28 PM

Did you find it at your local feed store?

Posted By: wellingtontx

Re: Soy Beans? Soy Bean and Corn mix? - 08/19/10 04:52 PM

Tried it a couple of years ago and the deer would leave the soybean and eat the corn.

Posted By: Fishstalker13

Re: Soy Beans? Soy Bean and Corn mix? - 08/19/10 04:56 PM

I am feeding it right now and seem to be getting better traffic than last year with only corn.
I am using the GamePro brand that i get at Russels feed in Benbrook.

Re: Soy Beans? Soy Bean and Corn mix? - 08/19/10 05:04 PM

Is that raw or roasted?

Re: Soy Beans? Soy Bean and Corn mix? - 08/19/10 05:08 PM

Roasted!

Re: Soy Beans? Soy Bean and Corn mix? - 08/19/10 05:26 PM

up

Posted By: BigTex63

Re: Soy Beans? Soy Bean and Corn mix? - 08/19/10 09:05 PM

Fishtalker13, how much is the GamePro stuff at Russels?

Re: Soy Beans? Soy Bean and Corn mix? - 08/19/10 09:12 PM

IM paying 9.50 per 50lb. bag of the mr. bucks corn and roasted soy bean.

Posted By: no-guts-no-glory

Re: Soy Beans? Soy Bean and Corn mix? - 08/21/10 09:37 PM

Originally Posted By: wellingtontx
Tried it a couple of years ago and the deer would leave the soybean and eat the corn.

I thought deer enjoyed soybeans.

Posted By: Skip

Re: Soy Beans? Soy Bean and Corn mix? - 08/21/10 10:19 PM

I use a soy/corn mix and the deer are coming in for it. As long as it works I'll keep feeding it.

Posted By: Lonnie Paul Walker Jr.

Re: Soy Beans? Soy Bean and Corn mix? - 08/21/10 11:07 PM

I leased a ranch couple of years ago near Junction, the owner kept soybeans out year round. He told me that it took about 2 years to get them to eat them to eat it. I did not like what I saw for these facts. The feeders had lots of waste on the ground underneath them. The price was kinda high for what you got in return. The owner told me that the horn sizes hadn't changed much an hearing all this just worried me. I think its a great thing maybe in a mix, but not by its self.

Re: Soy Beans? Soy Bean and Corn mix? - 08/21/10 11:13 PM

I mixed raw soybeans with my corn several years ago. The Deer would eat the corn and not touch the soybeans. It was a total waste. I mixed roasted soybeans with corn, and they stomped the grass down inside the feeder pen in less than 3 days. The 1st time we hunted that feeder during the season, I counted 33 Deer in my feeder pen at one time. I am a believer in the roasted soybeans. However, the hogs loved it as much as the Deer. The hogs tore my feeder pen apart.

Re: Soy Beans? Soy Bean and Corn mix? - 08/22/10 12:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Big Tony
I mixed raw soybeans with my corn several years ago. The Deer would eat the corn and not touch the soybeans. It was a total waste. I mixed roasted soybeans with corn, and they stomped the grass down inside the feeder pen in less than 3 days. The 1st time we hunted that feeder during the season, I counted 33 Deer in my feeder pen at one time. I am a believer in the roasted soybeans. However, the hogs loved it as much as the Deer. The hogs tore my feeder pen apart.

Ok, so there is a difference between the soybeans (i.e. raw soybeans vs roasted soybeans).

Posted By: All Outdoor Zone

Re: Soy Beans? Soy Bean and Corn mix? - 08/23/10 12:48 AM

Be careful if you have quail in your area with soybeans, if the beans are not dried well enough it will kill your quail. It is great if you are feeding it out of protein feeders or gravity feeders so its not all over the ground.

Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Soy Beans? Soy Bean and Corn mix? - 08/23/10 01:27 AM

I think soybeans are worthwhile - have tried both raw and roasted - roasted seems to give off a better peanut scent. We buy 1 bag of soy per 15 bags of corn. Just mix a little into each feeder. Hard to say if it is wasted on the ground becauses we put so little in. But you can certainly smell it - and if I can smell it a deer surely can!

Posted By: age n score

Re: Soy Beans? Soy Bean and Corn mix? - 08/23/10 01:49 PM

Since going to Indian Corn, I have not had to have any other feed to get the deer into my area. But I would try everything I could to make my hunt as good as possible.

Re: Soy Beans? Soy Bean and Corn mix? - 08/23/10 04:26 PM

Originally Posted By: BigTex63
Fishtalker13, how much is the GamePro stuff at Russels?

It was 10.95 a bag this Saturday when i bought some more.
I am not feeding it to improve horn size, i hunt less than a 100 acres. However have had more deer consistatly at my feeder this year and have several bucks on cam that i have never seen before.

Posted By: MELackey

Re: Soy Beans? Soy Bean and Corn mix? - 08/24/10 08:02 PM

I saw that the Feed stopre in Waller had the 25% roasted soybean / corn mixture at $9 per 50#

Posted By: Dirty Bass

Re: Soy Beans? Soy Bean and Corn mix? - 08/25/10 04:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Skip
I use a soy/corn mix and the deer are coming in for it. As long as it works I'll keep feeding it.
+1

Posted By: bbqfan5909

Re: Soy Beans? Soy Bean and Corn mix? - 08/25/10 04:38 PM

Speaking from experience...I tried Soybean/Corn mix and the deer would not touch the stuff (had 150lbs of the stuff laying on the ground for months). It may be the corn was bad or something, but I just stick to regular corn.

Re: Soy Beans? Soy Bean and Corn mix? - 09/05/10 09:00 PM

Originally Posted By: bbqfan5909
Speaking from experience...I tried Soybean/Corn mix and the deer would not touch the stuff (had 150lbs of the stuff laying on the ground for months). It may be the corn was bad or something, but I just stick to regular corn.

Well, I've checked my feeders yesterday after filling them with soybean/corn mix three weeks ago. The corn is gone off the ground, but some of the soybeans are still on the ground. So, I'm going to just stick with regular corn also the next time I refill my feeders.

Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Soy Beans? Soy Bean and Corn mix? - 09/05/10 09:18 PM

That is another one, don't waste your money

Posted By: firehog261

Re: Soy Beans? Soy Bean and Corn mix? - 09/06/10 07:49 PM

My wife and I have fed it for years out of our feeders. Have lots more deer coming to our feeders and staying longer than at other feeders, per the game cams.

Posted By: Chuck McDonald

Re: Soy Beans? Soy Bean and Corn mix? - 09/06/10 10:26 PM

Thought I would try it out, going to burn up what I bought and go back to corn. In Goldthwaite I paid $17 a 50# bag for corn and roasted soybeans.

Re: Soy Beans? Soy Bean and Corn mix? - 09/07/10 02:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Chuck McDonald
Thought I would try it out, going to burn up what I bought and go back to corn. In Goldthwaite I paid $17 a 50# bag for corn and roasted soybeans.

Instead of burning it up, you might as well go ahead and use it.

Posted By: fishhound

Re: Soy Beans? Soy Bean and Corn mix? - 09/07/10 01:53 PM

I have used roasted soybeans mixed with corn for about 5 years. It seems to work great but I did notice that when the temps get below freezing they seem to quit eating the soybeans. I guess they like the energy that the corn provides as opposed to the protein at those temps.

Posted By: B G

Re: Soy Beans? Soy Bean and Corn mix? - 12/12/10 12:57 AM

When the temps get low the deer will go after food with a higher fat and carbohydtate content in order to maintain there body fat throught the winter. The higher protien stuff is good for the summer and fall when they are building the fat reserves and anter growth.

There used to be a place in Cut N Shoot TX that had a corn, soybean and dry green pea in it. I would buy a bag and fill two litter bottles and gallon milk jugs and put then under the feeder. The next time I would go out you would find the bottle 50yards away and crushed flat due to the deer kicking and stomping it to get at that mix.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum