Texas Hunting Forum

does vs. bucks

Posted By: hunter3

does vs. bucks - 08/03/10 07:34 PM

What would you rather have coming to your feederson a regular basis. Does or bucks and why. what are the pros and cons of either if there are any.

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: does vs. bucks - 08/03/10 07:36 PM

bucks are the majority at our feeders.

does are usually the ones that eat in the road.

I would rather have bucks come to the feeder anyway, it makes culling way easier

Posted By: Stompy

Re: does vs. bucks - 08/03/10 08:01 PM

I'm with TT85, I get does in the food plots and on the road corn and usually late in the day. Bucks usually show up first and most of the time they start out at the feeder, then to the road corn and the food plot late in the afternoon. Don't really have any pros or cons. Just glad I'm seeing them, don't matter to me where they start feeding first.

Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: does vs. bucks - 08/03/10 08:36 PM

As for feeder hunting.... I would rather have the does. Does do not raom as much as the bucks. Which means that the does you see usually stay close to that area. Bucks this time a year are gouped up but as soon as the rut comes they loose their mind and start chasing any sent on the wind. If you got does you will have bucks.

Now for true bow hunting...
You are looking for rublines, scrapes, etc.. and trying to get in close. I would rather see the bucks. This is where you will typically find the mature bucks working their areas and trying to lure those does in for a little rendevous under the trees.

Posted By: rifleman

Re: does vs. bucks - 08/03/10 08:51 PM

I'de rather have bucks on the feeders... does this time of yr are mean.

Posted By: HEIMER1

Re: does vs. bucks - 08/03/10 11:18 PM

I LIKE A GOOD MIX, BUT IT SURE IS FUN DURING THE RUT WHEN YOU HAVE A HOT DOE AROUND THE FEEDER, NEVER KNOW WHEN A BIGUN WILL SHOW UP.

Posted By: hunter3

Re: does vs. bucks - 08/03/10 11:21 PM

well I wish I would have some bucks around. SO far all I have is does. I really hope this wil pay off for me come the rut.

Posted By: don k

Re: does vs. bucks - 08/03/10 11:30 PM

Bucks habits are going to change pretty soon. Right now they are hanging around together. I have already seen a slight change. Pretty soon they will split up and stake out their territories. If you are seeing them now in certain areas it doesn't mean that they will be there in Nov.

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: does vs. bucks - 08/04/10 12:19 AM

Originally Posted By: pegasaurus
As for feeder hunting.... I would rather have the does. Does do not raom as much as the bucks. Which means that the does you see usually stay close to that area. Bucks this time a year are gouped up but as soon as the rut comes they loose their mind and start chasing any sent on the wind. If you got does you will have bucks.

that statement makes no sense.

if you have does you will have bucks. if you have a correct buck/doe ratio the bucks will beat out the does to the food. having does around dosent' make a hoot. in the rut, if a doe is hot, it will bring in bucks, but many times they don't hange around long enough after a buck shows up that it makes a difference

I have bucks.......at my feeder. does can eat in the road or sendero all they want. I want that buck nibbling on corn unaware that anything unfortunate is about to take place

Posted By: michael rice

Re: does vs. bucks - 08/04/10 02:20 AM

so far all i got is does at my feeder

Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: does vs. bucks - 08/05/10 12:53 AM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Originally Posted By: pegasaurus

that statement makes no sense.

if you have does you will have bucks. if you have a correct buck/doe ratio the bucks will beat out the does to the food. having does around dosent' make a hoot. in the rut, if a doe is hot, it will bring in bucks, but many times they don't hange around long enough after a buck shows up that it makes a difference

I have bucks.......at my feeder. does can eat in the road or sendero all they want. I want that buck nibbling on corn unaware that anything unfortunate is about to take place

I think we are saying the same thing. Just maybe in a different way.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum