Texas Hunting Forum

How long until fawns can live without their mothers?

Posted By: cameron00

How long until fawns can live without their mothers? - 06/17/10 06:31 PM

If I shoot a doe during bow season and her fawn was born in June, will it survive?

Obviously I would try to avoid that, but I'm just wondering. How old does a fawn need to be before it no longer relies on mother's milk?

Posted By: Big Tony

Re: How long until fawns can live without their mothers? - 06/17/10 06:35 PM

I would think they would be safe by the start of the season.
Maybe somebody with some real brains can answer your answer positively.

Posted By: Justin T

Re: How long until fawns can live without their mothers? - 06/17/10 06:37 PM

I know the reason they moved the 2 week doe season to AFTER the season instead of before was for this reason. I don't have the exact numbers though. They are still most likely fine though.

Posted By: okietex

Re: How long until fawns can live without their mothers? - 06/17/10 06:46 PM

About a week after you seem the browsing or eating corn would be my guess

Posted By: M16

Re: How long until fawns can live without their mothers? - 06/17/10 07:49 PM

Usually around three months after they are born. Also about the time they loose their spots.
The latest thing at least in South Texas is to not shoot the does before Thanksgiving. Most of those fawns are being born in the next couple of weeks.

Re: How long until fawns can live without their mothers? - 06/17/10 07:59 PM

OK Now that you got an accurate answer. This is what I wanted to type.

Usually they are weened 10-20 seconds after you decide their Mamma is goin' in the freezer. LOL

Posted By: Rhodes 520

Re: How long until fawns can live without their mothers? - 06/17/10 09:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Big Tony
OK Now that you got an accurate answer. This is what I wanted to type.

Usually they are weened 10-20 seconds after you decide their Mamma is goin' in the freezer. LOL

Thats funny right there clap

Posted By: Honker Jake

Re: How long until fawns can live without their mothers? - 06/18/10 01:39 AM

I have always wondered the same thing, and always been told if they can eat stuff other than milk they are going to be fine. I have also been told the spot thing.

But I have seen fawn's with spot's eating corn, leaves, alfalfa, etc....

In October at my place I see a variety of color in the spots. Some are visible at 50 yds and some have to be 15yds before you can see spot's. Seems like in October I spend more time looking at fawn's, thinking if I look at the spot's long enough they will go away, but all it does is make my eyes hurt.

They are probably going to be O.K. but I can't stand it when they hang around and call for their dead mom. It's happened to me a couple times, maybe it's the soft side in me coming out, but I don't like it.

Re: How long until fawns can live without their mothers? - 06/18/10 01:59 AM

Hey cameron00, did you get a chance to try out that Deer attractant?

Posted By: cameron00

Re: How long until fawns can live without their mothers? - 06/18/10 02:37 PM

I have put it out, but haven't checked it yet. Have a game camera over it and will check it next weekend.

Posted By: 30378

Re: How long until fawns can live without their mothers? - 06/18/10 03:56 PM

Labor Day is a "general" measure.

Posted By: Waylon A.

Re: How long until fawns can live without their mothers? - 06/18/10 05:13 PM

These two girls lost their mother somehow in '08. The date on the picture is correct.
I first started seeing them a week or two before this picture was taken. They grew up just fine without a mother around.
They spent a lot of time around my house so I had the pleasure of watching them grow up. They became quite tame after a while.
Unfortunately one of them was chased over to the neighbors place opening weekend last year by a young buck and she never returned.
Hearing the shots broke my heart. Watching her sister roaming around like she was looking for her did too.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum