Texas Hunting Forum

Making a food plot idea?!?!

Posted By: TxHunter87

Making a food plot idea?!?! - 02/19/10 01:37 AM

Do yall think this could work and is it considered legal?

I have a ton of hogs going to my feeder daily and they are rooting up the area all around where I wanted to plant a food plot to the point where there used to be tall thick grass its becoming an open field but since I’m on a pine tree plantation I can’t bc there are too many pine trees to be able to do any plowing

My idea is spreading out corn in the area I want the hogs to tear up so they break up the soil get ride of the grass and trees that would be in my way and then over seed the area with what some type of seed and then kill all the hogs

Posted By: Scoop

Re: Making a food plot idea?!?! - 02/19/10 01:46 AM

I was buying into it right up until you said kill all the hogs. Not gonna happen. I had to enclose my plots or they'd root up all my plantings as soon as they found them. Took out 115 hogs but didn't help a bit.

Posted By: TxHunter87

Re: Making a food plot idea?!?! - 02/19/10 02:35 AM

what do you mean enclose them how did you do it bc i was also trying to figure out how to get around them coming back as well but it sounds like it could work besides that one down side

Posted By: Scoop

Re: Making a food plot idea?!?! - 02/19/10 02:49 AM

Enclose = Fence... I was also keeping out exotic sheep which will graze it down to the roots. A 4' gamewire type fence allows deer / axis / fallow to jump in but is doing a pretty good job of keeping the hogs out. that kinda fencing has smaller openings at the bottom to keep small hogs out too.

Posted By: cameron00

Re: Making a food plot idea?!?! - 02/19/10 05:21 PM

How are you going to kill all of the hogs short of dropping a hydrogen bomb on the county?

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum