Texas Hunting Forum

Any reason not to buy '14 Dodge Mega Diesel

Posted By: CharlieCTx

Any reason not to buy '14 Dodge Mega Diesel - 11/15/14 04:36 PM

Want to replace my Avalanche with something I can put my Foreman in the back of. All Crew Cabs tend to have the more straight up back seat, which isn't the most comfortable to sit in for several hours as reported by my 2 boys (13/15).

So just cab size has me fixated on the Diesel Mega, gas version gets pretty poor mileage I've read, given the Mega requires 3/4 ton. No big towing requirements, have a 5th wheel at our lease, but can move that other ways. Sat in Ford (150 & 250), Dodge 1/2 ton, don't like the looks of new Chevy/GMC, Toyota CrewMax bed is too small and gas mileage is poor.

Found a low mileage '14 I'm getting pretty focused on buying, but do recognize I don't need a Diesel, nor a 3/4 ton, but the cab size desire is seeming to drive me there.

Comments?

Thanks,
Charlie
Posted By: Dove Weed

Re: Any reason not to buy '14 Dodge Mega Diesel - 11/16/14 02:33 AM

Nope. I am in the same boat. I really like the new eco diesel in the 1/2 ton but the mega cab configuration makes me want another 3/4 ton. The extra room is considerable and the fact that the seat holds down where you can sleep.
Posted By: Hornsby

Re: Any reason not to buy '14 Dodge Mega Diesel - 11/18/14 01:21 AM

I have a 14 mega cab 2500 diesel 4x4 and I love it. Traded a 2012 f250 for it. The ford had more get up and go, but other than that I really like my dodge better so far.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Any reason not to buy '14 Dodge Mega Diesel - 11/18/14 01:37 AM

F150 4door and 4 wheel drive
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Any reason not to buy '14 Dodge Mega Diesel - 11/19/14 06:37 PM

I've got a 4x4 '14 Megacab diesel and love it. The extra space in the backseat is nice and is really what pushed me to Ram over the Ford. My last 4 have been Fords until this one.

The Cummins is a great engine. Pulls like a mule and gets about 19 MPG unloaded with mixed driving.

I could have gotten by w/o a diesel as well but I really think in a 3/4 ton you need one for resale value and mileage. My boat is only 6-7000 pounds, but it was miserable towing it with my half ton. Now it's a breeze.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Any reason not to buy '14 Dodge Mega Diesel - 11/19/14 07:06 PM

I think buying a 3/4 ton diesel for the mega cab is a horrible idea. If you don't have the need for a big truck don't buy one you will regret it when you have problems with your emissions system. If you gotta have a mega cab I would get the hemi.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Any reason not to buy '14 Dodge Mega Diesel - 11/21/14 01:35 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
I think buying a 3/4 ton diesel for the mega cab is a horrible idea. If you don't have the need for a big truck don't buy one you will regret it when you have problems with your emissions system. If you gotta have a mega cab I would get the hemi.

Quick fix
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Any reason not to buy '14 Dodge Mega Diesel - 11/21/14 04:01 PM

I see no reason not to buy if it's the truck you want. I'm on my 2nd cummins and have had zero problems with either. Traded an 02 with 200k miles that still had the factory batteries in it. Just take care of the standard maintenance and should be a great truck for you
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Any reason not to buy '14 Dodge Mega Diesel - 11/21/14 05:11 PM

Originally Posted By: landsurveyor
I see no reason not to buy if it's the truck you want. I'm on my 2nd cummins and have had zero problems with either. Traded an 02 with 200k miles that still had the factory batteries in it. Just take care of the standard maintenance and should be a great truck for you

What is your second?

The emissions stuff is nothing to look over these days, if you have a 5.9 its no surprise your happy.
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Any reason not to buy '14 Dodge Mega Diesel - 11/21/14 05:16 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Originally Posted By: landsurveyor

What is your second?

The emissions stuff is nothing to look over these days, if you have a 5.9 its no surprise your happy.
Currently driving an 06 3500 4x4 and yes it is the 5.9 with 6 speed standard trans. I did do an upgrade on the clutch. Factory was POS. It's a Mercedes tranny
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: Any reason not to buy '14 Dodge Mega Diesel - 11/21/14 05:59 PM

F150 SuperCrew with a 6.5 foot bed.

More leg room in the back seat than a mega cab, essentially the same bed length, and your choice of motors.

Re: Any reason not to buy '14 Dodge Mega Diesel - 11/22/14 03:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Shotgun Willie
More leg room in the back seat than a mega cab, essentially the same bed length, and your choice of motors.

How far can you recline the rear seats in a SuperCrew and how much storage do you have behind them?

The legroom (however it's measured) is the same per Motor Trend.

Charlie
Posted By: TRIJI....WHAT

Re: Any reason not to buy '14 Dodge Mega Diesel - 11/22/14 05:24 AM

F150 SuperCrew with a 6.5 foot bed.

Not quite sure about what ruler you are using but check that again............
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: Any reason not to buy '14 Dodge Mega Diesel - 11/22/14 10:26 PM

"The current class leader in rear legroom is the Ford F-150 SuperCrew, followed closely by the Toyota Tundra CrewMax." -Autotrader

F150 = 43.5 Megacab = 43.3 - Intellichoice

So yes, essentially the same.

I thought you were more concerned with not necessarily needing a 3/4 ton and having to step up to the diesel, as well as overall cab size, than seat configuration, I guess I read that wrong.
Posted By: maceman

Re: Any reason not to buy '14 Dodge Mega Diesel - 11/22/14 11:50 PM

Its a dodge, isn't that reason enough??? LOL
Posted By: CRAnderson52

Re: Any reason not to buy '14 Dodge Mega Diesel - 11/23/14 05:17 AM

They're nice, I'm just not a dodge fan. Compared to my powerstrokes, they feel like I'm driving a paper sack down the highway. Too light for me.

Re: Any reason not to buy '14 Dodge Mega Diesel - 11/27/14 04:04 AM

I thought you were more concerned with not necessarily needing a 3/4 ton and having to step up to the diesel, as well as overall cab size, than seat configuration, I guess I read that wrong.

Legroom does not equal cab size. As stated earlier, there is no recline or space behind the seats in a Crewmax. Mega has another 12" for additional space or seat recline.

Charlie
Posted By: westexhunt

Re: Any reason not to buy '14 Dodge Mega Diesel - 11/27/14 04:22 AM

I drove and worked on Dodge's Diesel's from 1997 to 2012. Bought a new F350 crew in 2012 and wish I had done it a long time ago. Not worth dealing with a Dodge just to get more back seat space.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Any reason not to buy '14 Dodge Mega Diesel - 11/27/14 08:17 AM

Originally Posted By: CharlieCTx
Want to replace my Avalanche with something I can put my Foreman in the back of. All Crew Cabs tend to have the more straight up back seat, which isn't the most comfortable to sit in for several hours as reported by my 2 boys (13/15).

So just cab size has me fixated on the Diesel Mega, gas version gets pretty poor mileage I've read, given the Mega requires 3/4 ton. No big towing requirements, have a 5th wheel at our lease, but can move that other ways. Sat in Ford (150 & 250), Dodge 1/2 ton, don't like the looks of new Chevy/GMC, Toyota CrewMax bed is too small and gas mileage is poor.

Found a low mileage '14 I'm getting pretty focused on buying, but do recognize I don't need a Diesel, nor a 3/4 ton, but the cab size desire is seeming to drive me there.

Comments?

Thanks,
Charlie

Hmmm, well the ride is somewhat rougher than the vehicle you have (or a 1/2 ton for that matter). Diesels usually run about $4K more than a gas motor and of course the fuel/periodic maintenance is more expensive on a relative basis to a gas vehicle. The strait back seats are an issue on most 4wd crew cab vehicles, as are poorly padded seats. Some of the upscale trucks (ford King Ranch for one) have more comfortable back seats, but it seems the mega cab is generally a good option in that vein. As far as the running gear, as long as you don't "hop it up" or "dog it" they will usually last long enough to overcome the extra expense of the diesel option package. Repair expenses can be outrageous, should you get a lemon. Personally, I would just get a trailer and tow the Foreman, seems the boys like those back seats well enough. Otherwise just buy the Dodge as an extra vehicle and keep the Avalanche as your daily driver (or get a cheap car as a daily driver.) I have considered your exact predicament on numerous occasions. I bought a new gas 1/2 ton crew cab and a spare vehicle for when i take the family with me...FYI, I already have numerous trailers and the 1/2 ton is strong enough tow stuff around. Just my two cents...good luck on your decision and hope this information helps.
Posted By: TC hunter

Re: Any reason not to buy '14 Dodge Mega Diesel - 11/28/14 03:31 AM

I recently bought a dodge 2500 mega cab with the 6.4 hemi and love it. I simply didn't need a diesel anymore but I'm not a fan of half tons. I'm averaging 17ish on the highway and 13 in town which my 2013 f250 got worse mileage and constantly gave me issues. Needless to say I'm happy with my purchase.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Any reason not to buy '14 Dodge Mega Diesel - 11/28/14 05:15 PM

I am on my fifth doge (all 1/2 tons with hemi's) thought about the new 14 mega diesel, but price tag changed my mind. going to 3/4 ton next ride

Re: Any reason not to buy '14 Dodge Mega Diesel - 12/01/14 03:06 AM

Given all the advice I got here, had a White '14 Laramie Longhorn 4x4 Mega Diesel follow me home on Friday.

Couldn't be happier..

Charlie
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Any reason not to buy '14 Dodge Mega Diesel - 12/11/14 05:48 PM

Good choice up
worthless
Posted By: spg

Re: Any reason not to buy '14 Dodge Mega Diesel - 12/17/14 10:13 PM

I have a 12 F-250 super crew 6.7L and never rode in the back seats.

Re: Any reason not to buy '14 Dodge Mega Diesel - 12/18/14 10:46 PM

What was I thinking. Here you go...

Real trucks have Clearance lights. smile

Charlie

Re: Any reason not to buy '14 Dodge Mega Diesel - 12/19/14 02:09 AM

If the ride starts to wear on you check out carli suspension. Won't make it a caddy but will help a bunch.

Good looking truck!
Posted By: GUTIT

Re: Any reason not to buy '14 Dodge Mega Diesel - 12/19/14 04:08 AM

Welcome to Megacab family, great choice on motor and truck. you will love the cab room. Take care of it and it will last a long time.
Looks great!
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Any reason not to buy '14 Dodge Mega Diesel - 12/19/14 04:39 AM

Really feel you can't go wrong with the cummins motor. I'm around diesels daily that are used in an industrial capcity and honestly I have not see a descent diesel power plant from FORD since the 7.3's !

Re: Any reason not to buy '14 Dodge Mega Diesel - 12/19/14 06:05 PM

Thanks for the comments.

Bobo's statement on ride brings up a question. While I like the "Firm" ride (I've owned a 4x4 of some sort most of my life) there's no doubt it's "Firm". I didn't realize that 3/4 ton trucks had such a high tire pressure until I saw it on my dash monitor. I'm sure that's a good contributor as well.

I'd love to lift it 3" and put 35's, but I'm a weekly visitor to D/FW airport and some of the garages are pretty low so I'll need to scope out the new "A" terminal and see what the heights are there. I get through with about 1-2 inches in "C" and "E".

I'm not going to be hauling/towing big trailers, at most a tandem flatbed with a car on it. Am I good to look at standard 8 lug Aluminum aftermarket wheels and tires like a Nitto Terra Grappler (had some on a z71 Sub)?

If I decide to stay stock height (maybe level front) are there softer rear springs which might have more give for daily driving? What about replacing the rear coils with Air Springs?

Charlie
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Any reason not to buy '14 Dodge Mega Diesel - 12/19/14 06:20 PM

Blind spots, still not the best interior, rides like a brick on concrete tires, and the truck just looks down right goofy with such a big cab and swb. Maybe they have updated some of this in the new ones but just what I see with this one.

Other than that they are great trucks. Cummins makes them what they are imo. Your not stopping that engine and they will tow anything you put behind them.

My 09, daily driver. Has 229K and other than the A/C not blowing cold while your sitting, and the cosmetics fading or peeling, its not had any problems at all. Still like my F250 better overall though

Posted By: Navasot

Re: Any reason not to buy '14 Dodge Mega Diesel - 12/19/14 06:24 PM

Now this is sweet

Re: Any reason not to buy '14 Dodge Mega Diesel - 12/19/14 06:31 PM

Originally Posted By: CharlieCTx
Thanks for the comments.

Bobo's statement on ride brings up a question. While I like the "Firm" ride (I've owned a 4x4 of some sort most of my life) there's no doubt it's "Firm". I didn't realize that 3/4 ton trucks had such a high tire pressure until I saw it on my dash monitor. I'm sure that's a good contributor as well.

I'd love to lift it 3" and put 35's, but I'm a weekly visitor to D/FW airport and some of the garages are pretty low so I'll need to scope out the new "A" terminal and see what the heights are there. I get through with about 1-2 inches in "C" and "E".

I'm not going to be hauling/towing big trailers, at most a tandem flatbed with a car on it. Am I good to look at standard 8 lug Aluminum aftermarket wheels and tires like a Nitto Terra Grappler (had some on a z71 Sub)?

If I decide to stay stock height (maybe level front) are there softer rear springs which might have more give for daily driving? What about replacing the rear coils with Air Springs?

Charlie

Full deavers on the back its only about a 15% payload deduction(would be biggest improvement). Smaller the rim more sidewall flex you have. Why all you baja guys run 37 on 17" rims

Re: Any reason not to buy '14 Dodge Mega Diesel - 12/20/14 01:41 AM

Full deavers?

Charlie
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum