Texas Hunting Forum

Ford 6.7L owners

Posted By: spg

Ford 6.7L owners - 10/25/14 10:44 PM

I have a 2012 ford F250 lariat 4x4 and had some minor and 1 serious issue, for the record I have 21,000 miles on it. I still love the truck but I had to do something I usually would never do, modify the exhaust system and installed a programmer. Why did I do this, because I was left on the side of I-10 with my wife and 3 kids because one of the four thermocouples on the exhaust went out which will shutdown the truck. I also discovered another alarming fact, the bearing in the turbo are ceramic and some owners have experienced issues with the turbo going out because the ceramic bearings are turning to dust sometimes getting ceramic debris in the intake and ruining pistons and valves. To have piece of mind I'm looking for an after market turbo with steel bearings, its an expensive fix but will be much cheaper than replacing pistons and the turbo together if it happens out of warranty. I guess I'm a little gun shy after having the 6.0L that I finally got Ford to buy back under the lemon law.
Posted By: flyboy2

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 10/27/14 12:54 AM

Man…. sorry to hear about your troubles. It really sucks to spend that kind of money to buy a truck just to have problems with it. I have the exact truck as you except mine is an 2011. Really no issues with mine except the passenger side folding mirror went out. Been very pleased with mine so far and have several friends with them as well with zero problems. Hope you get yours resolved with no further issues.
Posted By: trjscout

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 10/27/14 02:45 AM

we had a 2012 tell us to pull over and stop, it restarted after about an hour the mechanic said the sensors sometime will reset it quit 3 more times getting home! then the next day my 2008 did the same thing you cant make this up almost the same spot on the hiway!! 2008 would not restart after cool down had to be towed next morning towed to dealer $880.00 later and three sensors replaced! 2008 only has 98000 miles on it !! extended war. didn't cover it! I also have a 2002 with 7.3 with 300000 miles runs like a brand new one !

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 10/27/14 03:04 AM

When my truck went in the shop the sensors were on nation wide back order so that tells me I'm not the only one. This could happen to any make of truck with DPF on it its not just the fords. The warranty is a gimmick so I'm not to worried about the delete kit. I don't understand why it voids the warranty when your actually improving the reliability of the engine, all the emissions components actually put intense stress on the motor, the EGR and the DPF. THe EGR re-introduces hot spent exhaust gas into your coolant system then back in the intake when the best thing for an engine is clean cool air. The DPF kills the the turbo by choking the exhaust building extreme heat up to 1300deg. My truck was getting highway/city 14mpg average and 18mpg straight highway at 80mph. After the delete kit highway/city 16mpg and 19.5mpg highway and the EGT's are running about 430deg. With the DPF the norm was 700 and I seen it spike to 1300 towing and drop back to 700 once you get up to speed.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 10/27/14 02:58 PM

At this point in time, I would spend 20k on buying a used pre DPF dodge or fort and spend another 20k making it new again before I would consider spending 40k on a new diesel.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 10/27/14 03:18 PM

Have a 2012 F250 and 2015 F250 and never had a issue..knock on wood, sorry to hear that. Sounds like it was a bad part from the get go, I change both fuel filters every other oil change so every 14k miles.
Hope u got it respolved

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 10/27/14 08:49 PM

REDCHEVY,

The later model diesel trucks have far superior transmissions than the earlier model (07 or earlier). I actually tried that with a 04 cummins 1ton and the tranny just couldn't handle heavy towing after replacing the clutch twice I turned it into a farm truck. The cummins with a stick 6 speed is one the best towing trucks ever built IMO, I still love hooking something to that truck..........1 problem is its a dodge and the cab and seats are falling apart.

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 10/27/14 10:50 PM

you want get any warning till the dash lights up and tells you to pull over and stop safely never seen it before then it happened twice in one weekend on 2 diff. trucks! like someone at ford pushed a button somewhere! that's the technology they will have to shut you down if the cops are chasing you !! they practiced on me last week!

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 10/28/14 12:37 AM

trjscout I got the same message, that why I'm deleting the DPF, I want to tell my truck what to do........The truck will not tell me what to do. Its sad when the Ford mechanic tells you to delete all the emissions crap and leave the programmer on the lowest or stock HP setting and the truck will last twice as long. Another reason we need to get a hardcore Republican next pres term to at least stop what else is coming.
Posted By: CRAnderson52

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 10/28/14 01:19 AM

Delete, delete, delete. DPF, and EGR!!
Posted By: cibolo

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 10/28/14 02:55 AM

well I work for a Navistar dealer and I wish we could scrap all the emissions crap. But they are not going anywhere and will just get worse. The 6.4 once you remove all of that is a beast but when you go to replace the compound turbo set up get ready to get a bank loan.

The ford 6.7 is the best diesel I have ever owned. I did have the truck go into limp mode on two separate occasions due to contaminated DEF fluid. All I did was wait a little bit and disconnect the batteries and it re set the computer and I was on my way. Other than that it ran like a champ.

I have a 6.0 again now since it stays parked most of the time but in about 3-5 years when there are more of the 6.7's out there used I will buy a used one and delete everything.

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 10/28/14 03:28 AM

I like my 6.7 to, even more now. I've priced a turbo from Maryland diesel performance roughly $4k, that's a dent in the pocket book. I haven't pulled the trigger yet thinking I may see how the stock turbo hold up. Shouldn't be a big issue since I run the programmer on the lowest setting and I don't treat the truck like a dragstar. Only worries is when I'm hooked up to a 30ft gooseneck with a 90hp tractor on it. I pull it short distances around the house but make one or two trips to S.TX which is a 6-7hr trip one way. By the time I'm done with this truck it will be worth more than my house, air bags with compressor, brush guard, H&S delete kit, 50gal aux fuel tank, getting out of hand.

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 10/28/14 04:09 AM

i can get you a deal on a turbo if you want a factory one. You might be surprised not the price. I had to get a head for a 6.4 the other day and the Ford dealer was the cheapest and I work for a Navistar dealer. Navistar had a deal with Ford and I don't know how many times I have called on a customer and see a Navistar box with a Ford number taped over it. I call it in and my cost is higher than what the customer paid for my Navistar built part.
Posted By: Jasb

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 10/28/14 11:50 AM

I was driving down the highway and came upon my father in law on the side of the road in his 12 250. Same deal, it told him to pull over and it crapped out. His was just out of warranty but Ford fixed it without charge. He did have to pay for the tow...

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 10/29/14 02:00 AM

one thing to make sure is not to pour the UREA/DEF fluid in to the tank. This will cost you thousands and Ford even has a part number for this kit to repair and replace most of the fuel system. This is not covered by warranty. This was a real bad problem down south in the oil patch. My wrecker customers where towing a bunch of them in since the ford pick up where the first ones to have this system since Dodge and GM got a pass because they took the bail out money.

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 10/29/14 02:21 PM

Was it the bail out? I didn't think so. I thought they could pick to use urea or just DPF. Dodge went with just a dpf and that is why the early model 6.7's has such bad problems plugging up the DPF and got bad fuel mileage. The urea is a better way to go.
Posted By: TX_LT230FH

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 10/29/14 03:28 PM

When I bought my 2012 I went ahead and sprung for the premium warranty. It's covered for 5 years or 125k miles for about 2k$.

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 10/29/14 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: TX_LT230FH
When I bought my 2012 I went ahead and sprung for the premium warranty. It's covered for 5 years or 125k miles for about 2k$.

They must have all kinds of warranties out there. My cousin bought a 2013 F250 6.7L and bought a 200k extended warranty on it.

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 10/30/14 12:21 AM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

They must have all kinds of warranties out there. My cousin bought a 2013 F250 6.7L and bought a 200k extended warranty on it.

Sounds like a Goldstein sponsored program... roflmao

I put so many mikes on Trucks my factory runs out in a snap bang
Posted By: TX_LT230FH

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 10/30/14 01:08 AM

This one was through Ford. Those things cost too much to work on to take chances...

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 10/30/14 01:16 AM

yep I saw mine with the cab off hanging up to the ceiling , the shop was full of them like, that they had a recall on the rear main seals on 08s had the motor out and upside down, hate to know what that would have cost if not for the recall!
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 10/30/14 04:35 AM

Just turned over 50k miles on my 2011. Stock. No problems. I would like to delete all but will wait until my warranty runs out.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 10/30/14 05:08 AM

I had over a 100k on mine only time it ever saw dealer was for a def pump issue.
Posted By: glens

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 10/30/14 01:05 PM

Posted earlier about being down at the ford house (oil change) a couple weeks ago weeks and a fella had been left on side of the road in a brand new Lariet and he was peeved to say the least. It was the second or third time with the new truck. Guy next to me told him ford should have installed a bike in the bed as standard equipment so you could pedal back into town. Owner was mot amused. Looked in shop and they had a couple pick up bodies hanging.

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 10/30/14 02:26 PM

Originally Posted By: glens
Posted earlier about being down at the ford house (oil change) a couple weeks ago weeks and a fella had been left on side of the road in a brand new Lariet and he was peeved to say the least. It was the second or third time with the new truck. Guy next to me told him ford should have installed a bike in the bed as standard equipment so you could pedal back into town. Owner was mot amused. Looked in shop and they had a couple pick up bodies hanging.

Why everyone is deleting, one out of those eight sensors goes out truck thinks it's overheating

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 11/13/14 07:58 AM

Was it the bail out? I didn't think so. I thought they could pick to use urea or just DPF. Dodge went with just a dpf and that is why the early model 6.7's has such bad problems plugging up the DPF and got bad fuel mileage. The urea is a better way to go.

Urea turned out to be the better way to go no doubt. All my customers tried to avoid it like the plague because they had got used to the DPF systems. The theory on why Ford had to go to Urea is my own but I also think they really did their homework and learned a lot from their relationship/partnership with Navistar. I knew the Urea made the most sense compared to the other options. Just look at Hino/Toyota their diesels from what I understand have been running Urea longer than anyone over seas so they had an advantage. The Hino 258 is the best truck in its class but now with everyone on the Urea train I am seeing a lot less shop time. Navistar just likes to be innovators and stick their head out there and get it cut off. Everyone learns from their mistakes and runs with it. When Navistar was running out of carbon credits and being forced to come up with a new system to meet the emission requirements the best one was basically an easy bake oven with a brick that heated up and the gasses would way down exhaust particles/soot.

But my market segment is small in the wrecker industry. However I sold 1 Ford to every 10 dodges from 2010 to 2013 until the 6.7 in the fords got some good press and Ford flipped the script at least in the wrecker industry. The DPF was the main reason and the 6.0/6.4 issues was the other so they did not want to be the guinea pigs with the 6.7. 2013 was also the first year we stocked F450 & F550's since 2006. We would only order Ford's in those models per customer order. Now F650's with Cummins/Allison combo has been my number one seller in the under 26k GVW class for years but I think that will take a hit since the severed that relationship and 2015 they will only offer the V10 gas and their 6.7 diesel with their transmission. I think it will be a good spec but in medium duty/heavy duty diesel the inline 6 has always in my opinion been the proven performer.
Posted By: thewrap

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 11/27/14 03:08 AM

I have over 80k on mine and love it. Had it deleted a few months ago had around 55k miles at the time and I don't regret it one bit. Gets much better milage and the straight pipe sounds excellent.

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 12/23/14 08:32 PM

Cibolo, I would hope everyone on this forum knows not to put urea in the fuel tank. Anyway, I just deleted the EGR system on my truck, now I'm seeing noticeable fuel mileage increase and the temps run cooler. I would recommend deleting the EGR over DPF delete although I have both deleted the change occurred when the EGR came off.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 12/23/14 09:23 PM

My 2011 now has 86k on it. I am chomping at the bit to go see Mad Matt and delete EGR/DPF. I ran it to Houston and back this past weekend, and some more power to get through that traffic will be nice. Does the delete remove the 100mph cap on the truck?

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 12/23/14 09:41 PM

Yes
Posted By: TRIJI....WHAT

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 12/23/14 10:08 PM

I had a brand new 6.0 Motor in my Ford 250 and the only thing that fixed that crap motor was when I bought a 5.9 Dodge. Will never own a POS Ford again.

150K and running strong........
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 12/23/14 10:17 PM

125k on the 08 F250 I got a while before I see a 6.7.. especially if I find a 7.3 in a few years
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 12/24/14 01:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Cast
My 2011 now has 86k on it. I am chomping at the bit to go see Mad Matt and delete EGR/DPF. I ran it to Houston and back this past weekend, and some more power to get through that traffic will be nice. Does the delete remove the 100mph cap on the truck?

HLF, how fast do you need to drive?

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 12/24/14 03:31 AM

Does the delete remove the 100mph cap on the truck?

If it does you might wanna upgrade brakes. <grin>
Posted By: easton1025

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 12/24/14 03:26 PM

Just turned 190k on my 04 6.0 excursion...replaced one injector at 110k...radiator at 120k...Im bad about changing my oil so mine is more like every 10k miles....Maybe that is the key!!! LOL

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 12/24/14 03:57 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

It's Cast, not HLF. I wanna have all my power and speed that truck can deliver. I paid for it, I want it. Cruising 85 - 90 in a pack of cars and a hole opens up. I wanna get in and out of that hole right now and leave that pack of stuck together idiots in my rear view mirror. I would probably let off at about 110, or when I see them in my rear view...

It's the acceleration I want, not really the speed.

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 12/24/14 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Mickey Moose
Does the delete remove the 100mph cap on the truck?

If it does you might wanna upgrade brakes. <grin>

One thing you can depend on in my/any SuperDuty is dang good brakes.

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 12/24/14 04:42 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

It's Cast, not HLF. I wanna have all my power and speed that truck can deliver. I paid for it, I want it. Cruising 85 - 90 in a pack of cars and a hole opens up. I wanna get in and out of that hole right now and leave that pack of stuck together idiots in my rear view mirror. I would probably let off at about 110, or when I see them in my rear view...

It's the acceleration I want, not really the speed.

Get in matts truck...lol 125mph is with his boat behind it going up ranger hill...lol

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 12/24/14 04:44 PM

Sure dang good brakes but I still would not trust them when driving the vehicle at very, very excessive speeds. They are powerful street vehicles, they are powerful off-road vehicles, they can start and stop with heavy loads but none of that makes it safe to drive them 100+ nor 100+ on roads where the max speed limit is 75 and most people are driving around that speed. You wanna drive it like it's a sports car - then get a sports car where the vehicle is better designed for that kind of driving. But keep in mind that doesn't make you a better driver nor does it account for the actions of other drivers.

That's just me though.

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 12/24/14 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
...ranger hill...

Is the road work done yet?

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 12/24/14 04:49 PM

Get behind the wheel of one, then restate your opinion. That thing is a beast, and stuck to the road at 100mph.

Just for grins, throw one into a slide on a wet road and see what happens.

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 12/24/14 04:53 PM

Cast, I have one. It's a big dumb truck, not a sports car or even a sporty car. My "Silver Surfer"...

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 12/24/14 05:07 PM

Well, I could be a bit aggressive when around folks driving in a pack and blocking the road for through traffic I guess.

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 12/24/14 05:08 PM

...ranger hill...

Is the road work done yet?

It will never be done most likely lol

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 12/24/14 05:09 PM

Well, I could be a bit aggressive when around folks driving in a pack and blocking the road for through traffic I guess.

Same here and cheers to that. I just try to be reasonable about it. Do unto others... I don't want somebody to be an [censored] to me so I try to keep it cool.

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 12/24/14 05:11 PM

Cast, I have one. It's a big dumb truck, not a sports car or even a sporty car. My "Silver Surfer"...

I called mine "outdoor grill"

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 12/24/14 07:20 PM

Bobo, WTF happened?!

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 12/24/14 07:31 PM

No idea..just gotten guesses from insurance fire inspector.

They think battery cables rubbed raw on the frame. It was off and parked when it caught. I wasn't there but got there in a hurry when I got the call. Hunting elk and mulies in CO.

I'll tell you this much. We were extremely lucky to get it out. I found out quickly there is a lot of magnesium in that engine compartment.

I don't agree with insurance findings other then electrical. Fire started by passenger headlight.

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 12/24/14 07:34 PM

DANG Bobo! That really sucks man!

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 12/24/14 07:36 PM

It happens I guess. Just work through it. It could of always been worse.
Posted By: daniel25s

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 12/30/14 08:29 PM

I accidently put urea in my gas tank earlier this year and drove about 20 miles until my truck went into limp mode
I called the dealership and they said you just made a $14,000 mistake
after a month in the shop and only $100 out of my pocket to fix my 2014 F-250 is running like a champ with a complete new fuel system
Posted By: furdown

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 12/31/14 04:24 AM

I got a 2012 with 87k miles. I'm on my third engine. Transmissions having problems, shift solenoids are going to crap, jumping when it down shifts. Already had them replaced, and new ones lasted about a month. Having all kinds of sensor problems. It goes in the shop just about once a month. Last week the water in fuel sensor went out. I've had bad luck with it, but its free, so its not out of my pocket. The company has lots of fords, and has spent a lot of money on repairs, 6.4s and 6.7s. I know there were three of them broke down last weak. I knows its cost them enough to stop buying fords, cause all the new one are dodges.
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 12/31/14 01:16 PM

Get in matts truck...lol 125mph is with his boat behind it going up ranger hill...lol

That's not true, and if it is he might be the biggest idiot on the road

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 12/31/14 04:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Ramball36

I don't doubt it. With a bypass/bypass, the 6.7 will deliver near 600 hp.
Posted By: Dustnsand

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 12/31/14 06:18 PM

Think I'd agree on the idiot part. What's known as one of the most dangerous places in Texas and go 125mph on it pulling a trailer dunce

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 12/31/14 06:29 PM

Guys, my TDL has a zero as the first digit. I have been a Texas driver for a good while, and I know my and my vehicle's limitations. If I decide I need to run high speed, I will make an informed decision and if it's a go, I'm gone. I don't know, but how fast does a big dumb ambulance truck (with a high center of gravity) run in an emergency? I swear, if it was me and the driver's foot wasn't on the floor I'd wonder why he was trying to kill me. How about a DPS black and white cruiser? I know they will run.

When Henry built the first Fords, folks thought that going that speed would kill them. It just didn't work out that way. Going 100+ mph also ain't gonna kill ya.

It's not the speed that kills ya, it's the sudden stop. Drive carefully guys, I'm out there looking to pass you.

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 12/31/14 07:53 PM

Idiot maybe knowing you can do it and doing it are two different things. I've never owned a truck with highly tuned suspension or 10k in engine mods so no idea how it would handle. Nor do I take trucks to the track. Nor do I build race specific trucks. But he does

Truck pushing 700 hp at the RW.. True.

I get scared at 90mph

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 12/31/14 08:02 PM

Originally Posted By: z71dustin

Think I'd agree on the idiot part. What's known as one of the most dangerous places in Texas and go 125mph on it pulling a trailer dunce

its not going up, it's coming down that's the dangersours part. all my trucks have been stock so I don't have to worry about any thing over 98. Guys with boats don't scare me, that's maybe 3k lbs it's the fifth wheel guys breaking a hundred that scare me

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 12/31/14 09:59 PM

I just don't see a pickup holding that curve at 125, especially with a boat behind it. Add in the fact that there's almost always semis in the right lane going 40 and little cars dodging in and out and it's a recipe for disaster. I'm sure a souped up diesel could hit 125 with a boat on the back, I'd just rather not think about it happening on a public highway!

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 12/31/14 09:59 PM

I'm getting old

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 12/31/14 10:08 PM

I just don't see a pickup holding that curve at 125, especially with a boat behind it. Add in the fact that there's almost always semis in the right lane going 40 and little cars dodging in and out and it's a recipe for disaster. I'm sure a souped up diesel could hit 125 with a boat on the back, I'd just rather not think about it happening on a public highway!

As I said knowing it can and doing are two different things. last year I had a chevy blowing black smoke pulling a fifth wheel TT pass me and I know he was doing well over a 100. Well over. That scared me

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 01/02/15 06:02 AM

I see I started something, WOW 125mph in basically a work/utility truck. That's just not smart. I read one that said he is on his 3rd engine, that's fishy. I research these trucks frequently and that's the first I've heard of total engine failure. The most common issues are the EGR cooler in the ambulance chassis which is caused from extended periods of idling, unless you let your 6.7 idle for extended hours or put DPF fluid in your fuel you should have any major engine problems. The common issues are exhaust temp sensors shutting the engine down when they are faulty, it has nothing to do with the engine issues. The safest thing to do is invest in a EGR delete and a DPF delete and leave the programmer in stock mode, this will reduce the heat in the engine and keep you from putting DPF fluid in your fuel tank.
Posted By: TexasLandAgent

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 03/04/15 03:09 AM

My 2011 6.7 has 73k and the only issue I've had is my iPhone 6 won't sync the Bluetooth. Knock on wood.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 03/04/15 03:56 AM

Originally Posted By: TexasLandAgent
My 2011 6.7 has 73k and the only issue I've had is my iPhone 6 won't sync the Bluetooth. Knock on wood.

1st world problems.
Posted By: TexasLandAgent

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 03/04/15 04:11 AM

Originally Posted By: HuntnFly67

1st world problems.

Pretty much

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 03/04/15 04:22 AM

My 2011 6.7... iPhone 6 won't sync the Bluetooth.

Thanks Obama!
Posted By: AP2714

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 03/18/15 08:20 PM

I've been debating a 2015 6.7 cummins vs 6.7 powerstroke the last month. I've read, researched and picked the brains of many. The ford absolutely runs the best in terms of acceleration /power. The main thing I keep coming across is ford refusing to warranty HPFP that get bad fuel, rust, etc. There are countless stories and even spoke with my local service department. He said it wouldn't be warranty. 10-12k to fix. He stated water seperator should be drained monthly and filter changes every 15k. I just don't know if I can take the chance. I can get family d plan pricing, so it's by far the best deal over ram cummins and duramax. I'm just afraid I'd be one of the unlucky ones. I know getting fuel from active truck stops is best and I would probably run pm22 or opti lube XPD fuel additive to help boost cetane and demulsify. Anyone with a 2015 have any HPFP issues?

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 03/18/15 08:35 PM

Originally Posted By: AP2714
I've been debating a 2015 6.7 cummins vs 6.7 powerstroke the last month. I've read, researched and picked the brains of many. The ford absolutely runs the best in terms of acceleration /power. The main thing I keep coming across is ford refusing to warranty HPFP that get bad fuel, rust, etc. There are countless stories and even spoke with my local service department. He said it wouldn't be warranty. 10-12k to fix. He stated water seperator should be drained monthly and filter changes every 15k. I just don't know if I can take the chance. I can get family d plan pricing, so it's by far the best deal over ram cummins and duramax. I'm just afraid I'd be one of the unlucky ones. I know getting fuel from active truck stops is best and I would probably run pm22 or opti lube XPD fuel additive to help boost cetane and demulsify. Anyone with a 2015 have any HPFP issues?

Just got a 15 psd it's a lot peppier then my 11 psd was. No one will warranty bad fuel damage. No one. Buddy with a 13 dodge had same issue.

With that said most turn it into insurance, whom in turn goes after gas station and 99% of the time wins and you get your deductible back.

Any HPFP with water will go boom. Nature of it being HP. Never had an issue with my 11 and it had over a 100k

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 03/18/15 08:49 PM

Just got a 15 psd it's a lot peppier then my 11 psd was. No one will warranty bad fuel damage. No one. Buddy with a 13 dodge had same issue.

With that said most turn it into insurance, whom in turn goes after gas station and 99% of the time wins and you get your deductible back.

Any HPFP with water will go boom. Nature of it being HP. Never had an issue with my 11 and it had over a 100k

Are you running additive? Yeah it can happen to any, BUT I've researched this enough to know for every 1 cummins/duramax there's 5 ford 6.7 this happens with. Now, maybe others just don't report? It does seem more common on the 2011-12 6.7 models. Also I've have friends that were not even aware of this, so obviously no issues. I guess I'm just paranoid to buy a 50k truck and in back of my mind know this is a possibility. I have spoken with my insurance company and they were uninformed of any situation like this. They didn't seem really interested to give me assurance of help incase it did happen to me.

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 03/18/15 08:59 PM

I do run additive. Mainly seafoam but only every third tank or so.

I just drain the water filter every oil change... Takes 3 mins.

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 03/18/15 09:42 PM

Yeah, I will definitely drain water. What strange is the 6.7 powerstroke and duramax use the CP 4.2 pump. The cummins 6.7 uses the CP 3 pump.You would think the duramax would have as many failures running the same pump, yet hardly any get mentioned. My local dealerships have replaced 2 pumps on duramax and 6 on powerstroke due to water in fuel. 0 replacements for cummins 6.7

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 03/18/15 09:55 PM

Look at sales numbers......

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 03/18/15 11:05 PM

I'm more about the customer service. Over the past 6 weeks I've visited 6 different dealerships and spoke with service department. When I bring up the pump question, EVERYONE of them have avoided the question completely, worked around it, or changed subject completely. So for me a potential first time powerstroke owner, it leaves me feeling uneasy. I want to own one of these, I guess it comes down to how big of gamble I want to take.

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 03/18/15 11:53 PM

i love the 6.7 PSD, hell of an engine. Like I said on my second one.

As long as you don't put def in the desiel tank and change your filters regularly you will be fine

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 03/19/15 12:02 AM

i love the 6.7 PSD, hell of an engine. Like I said on my second one.

As long as you don't put def in the desiel tank and change your filters regularly you will be fine

This, my Son is currently in Fords School to become a Diesel Tech and his main instructor has always said to change the (both) fuel filters every other oil change and you should never have any issues..and drain the babcock every oil change..
I have a 2012 with 138K and a 2015 with 17k and have never had a issue..I change the oil every 7k with only Motorcraft 10w-30 semi synthetic and both fuel filters every 14k..simple maintenance and you should never have a issue...and I try to avoid the little mom and pop gas stations and use the QT diesel that has a high turnover exchange..Good Luck Sir up

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 03/19/15 01:23 AM

I plan on doing my own oil changes and fuel filter changes. I'm one to do it ahead of schedule and never go over suggested mileage. What oil are you folks using? I've seen alot suggest the Motorcraft 10-30 diesel. I'm debating this and Rotella T6 5-40 synthetic.

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 03/19/15 01:29 AM

Ran both. I like the full syn. Seems like it takes more miles before for the engine temps to get over 210.

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 03/19/15 03:00 AM

I plan on doing my own oil changes and fuel filter changes. I'm one to do it ahead of schedule and never go over suggested mileage. What oil are you folks using? I've seen alot suggest the Motorcraft 10-30 diesel. I'm debating this and Rotella T6 5-40 synthetic.

Wally world has the (2) 5 gallon 10w-30 Motorcraft at 17 bucks per gallon (3) more quarts at 3.75 and the FL-2051s motorcraft filter for like 11 bucks

use ONLY motorcraft for diesel...they do NOT recommend running anything but the 10w-30 unless u are in some extreme temps
Posted By: thewrap

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 03/19/15 04:24 AM

I've been running Amsoil heavy duty 5-40, I've been changing somewhere every 10-25k miles depending on how much I abuse it. If you're running synthetic you should be safe for about 8-10k miles if you aren't maxing out on towing all the time. As far as the pump goes I wouldn't be too worried with it. I have yet to know anyone personally who has had an issue. I have 88k miles on my truck and never had an issue with the pump and I did the deletes on mine so it's pushing more power. Only thing I've struggled with was the lower fuel filter housing. Dumb@$$ at the dealership didn't lube the seal. Ended up having to break the housing off. It wouldn't have been a big deal at the time but I was at the deer lease when it happened and 90 miles from the nearest Ford house.

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 03/19/15 12:15 PM

I sure appreciate all the responses. I really love the power of the truck. It's a 2015 6.7 F250 Crew Cab FX4 with Lariat Ultimate package. With the family pricing, I can get it cheaper than a SLT 6.7 cummins with cloth seats. I don't plan on any modifications except leveling and maybe wheels/tires.

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 03/19/15 12:43 PM

I sure appreciate all the responses. I really love the power of the truck. It's a 2015 6.7 F250 Crew Cab FX4 with Lariat Ultimate package. With the family pricing, I can get it cheaper than a SLT 6.7 cummins with cloth seats. I don't plan on any modifications except leveling and maybe wheels/tires.

If you level get the carli leveling kit. Full length spring and caster adjustment instead of a block.

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 03/19/15 02:06 PM

Yeah I've looked at their stuff. Very nice looking. It seems very few kits come with caster cams. I think maybe icon. Does Carli include them? If not, I assume they are available for seperate purchase?

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 03/19/15 02:38 PM

Yes icon and carli are probably the best for a none puck style level.

I'm about to order the level backcountry or pintop with full deavers for my 15

Carli has more shock options but is the most money. Mine came with a puck and steering is really loose on it.

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 03/19/15 04:35 PM

I even noticed when test driving the stock F250, the steering feels looser than either ram/chevy. I've been told the superduty come weak on caster and need 1* increase in stock form. If I level, I want to make sure and eliminate that loose feeling.

Re: Ford 6.7L owners - 03/19/15 05:05 PM

I had a puck and fox 2.0 on my 11 wasn't near as loose as this one but pretty sure this puck in an inch taller then my 2011
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum