Texas Hunting Forum

maybe someone can help me with this

Posted By: Arrowslinger82

maybe someone can help me with this - 09/12/14 08:48 PM

ok so i bought a trailer a little over a month ago, 10' utility tailer with ramp. i got my plate for it yesterday and wouldn't you know... the bracket holes don't match up to the plate... and even if they did, the plate hits the side of the trailer before it could match up to the holes. now I've tried to call dps and dmv.. i keep getting the old "its not our issue its the other organization's" and had been on hold for like 30 minutes before. ughhh i was going to just mount it to the ramp and be done with it, but if i pull the ramp off then no plate. i guess I'm asking what do y'all do? i can't mount it lower it'll get pulled off at the lease for sure. can i mount it vertically on the fender? just drill holes and bolt in down?
Posted By: ssgp2

Re: maybe someone can help me with this - 09/12/14 09:30 PM

Mine is mounted vertically to the left fender. no problems
Posted By: twinbubba

Re: maybe someone can help me with this - 09/12/14 10:04 PM

Go to your local muffler shop and get them to cut the bracket off and weld you a longer one on. I had a muffler shop weld a step in front of the left fender of my trailer and I think they charged me $8. I provided the metal.

Re: maybe someone can help me with this - 09/12/14 11:07 PM

well since nobody at the damn dmv or txdps could give me an answer and its not online anywhere... i said screw it and pop riveted it to the fender vertically. it'd get pulled off otherwise.
Posted By: texasbowhunter321

Re: maybe someone can help me with this - 09/13/14 04:55 AM

They slap these trailers together so fast now a days. The last time I took mine back to the manufacture for upgrades, such as ramps, they were kind enough to repaint the trailer...tag included eek It took some elbow grease to clean the paint off the tag.

Re: maybe someone can help me with this - 09/13/14 01:46 PM

yeah i bought mine from a guy down in Kyle. had advertised on craigslist, seemed like a nice enough guy and its a very well made trailer. except he advertises that the trailer is powdercoated which it isn't, also advertised that the jack was a "quality American made Atwood" well the paint just peeled off the sticker that was on it from the factory and the jack is made in China. its whatever though, no way to know any of that prior to purchase.
Posted By: KG68

Re: maybe someone can help me with this - 09/13/14 03:52 PM

Mounted mine to the ramp gate. When I take my ramp off I go stealth mode. peep
Posted By: Harley7892

Re: maybe someone can help me with this - 09/13/14 04:18 PM

I am not sure if a light has to be illuminating the plate by law or not. Many trailers have plate on fender.
Posted By: Franklin517

Re: maybe someone can help me with this - 09/16/14 08:21 PM

Tag should have light. My buddy got pulled over for not having his by light
Posted By: Kenneth1977

Re: maybe someone can help me with this - 09/16/14 08:23 PM

Where are you at ? if your close to me bring it by and i will hook ya up

Re: maybe someone can help me with this - 09/16/14 09:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Reverseseven
Tag should have light. My buddy got pulled over for not having his by light

I bought a 14' single axle trailer for my 2014 crew and if I had mounted my plate between the lights as designed the bottom half would have hung half off the bottom and be bent or unreadable in a weeks time so I mounted it directly above the two lights but on the ramp gate. confused2
Posted By: Navasot

Re: maybe someone can help me with this - 09/16/14 09:22 PM

Drill new holes in the plate

Re: maybe someone can help me with this - 09/16/14 10:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
Drill new holes in the plate

Four inch channel and six inch plate. Two inches hangs below to drag at every ditch on a single axle 14 ft. trailer.

Re: maybe someone can help me with this - 09/17/14 01:18 AM

well after talking to several people, no one of any authority could tell me what the right answer was. i know I'm overthinking this. but in reality it'd get pulled off if i mounted it where its supposed to be. its because the plate has 7 numbers instead of 6 i think. but even if i drilled the plate out differently it wouldn't be totally visible unless i had it sticking out past the fender. Im trying to be legal here lol and I'm sure it doesn't really matter unless you're doing something wrong to provoke getting pulled over. so its on the fender, pop riveted in and thats where it'll stay. my dad is a crane operator and they have haul trailers that are done that way for the same reason, they travel all over the state and have no issues.
Posted By: Javelin225ho

Re: maybe someone can help me with this - 10/14/14 11:06 PM

i just zip tied mine to the ramp….
Posted By: cyberpyrot

Re: maybe someone can help me with this - 10/15/14 07:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Javelin225ho
i just zip tied mine to the ramp….

same here
Posted By: captmike

Re: maybe someone can help me with this - 10/16/14 09:02 AM

To be legal the plate is on the right side or center and is within 2' of back of trailer with light for night use. [email][/email]
Posted By: captmike

Re: maybe someone can help me with this - 10/16/14 09:06 AM

You can mount plate with 3 links of chain on 1/4'' plate to swing and help from dragging off. Put chain on both sides of plate and 4 bolts to hold on to. If you have pipe or angle rails mount post or angle out with light and plate up there. Most of the flat bed trailer I have owned I put a extra pipe or angle behind lights to help keep someone from knocking off lights.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: maybe someone can help me with this - 10/16/14 11:53 PM

Originally Posted By: KG68
Mounted mine to the ramp gate. When I take my ramp off I go stealth mode. peep

Bout to do that with my Big Tex...The plate hangs down and bends every time I haul it..SMH worse design ever up
Posted By: glens

Re: maybe someone can help me with this - 10/17/14 06:10 PM

I got a warning ticket (DPS) last month for no working lightee. It was there, but lightee no workie! It was on a farm tagged trailer. nuts
Posted By: JustWingem

Re: maybe someone can help me with this - 10/17/14 10:28 PM

I just used a couple small pieces of chain and notched the plate were it was rubbing the angle on the trailer. It has a little swing for wind, rain, mud and brush.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum