Texas Hunting Forum

Got the green light.

Posted By: cyberpyrot

Got the green light. - 09/08/14 11:13 AM

Well the wife said I can get my UTV. So out of the following wich would you get and why.

Can-Am Commander
FROM $11,899

TYPE
799.9 cc, V-twin, liquid-cooled, SOHC, 8-valve (4-valve / cyl)
BORE & STROKE
91 x 61.5 mm
FUEL DELIVERY SYSTEM
iTC™ with EFI and 54 mm Throttle Body, 2 Siemens† VDO injectors
STARTING SYSTEM
Electric
TRANSMISSION
CVT, sub-transmission with high, low, park, neutral & reverse.
Standard engine braking

DRIVE TRAIN
Selectable 2WD / 4WD shaft driven with Visco-Lok‡ auto-locking front differential

Polaris RANGER® 570

Fuel System Electronic Fuel Injection
Engine Type 4-Stroke Single Cylinder
Cylinders-Displacement (cc) 567cc
Transmission/Final Drive Automatic PVT H/L/N/R/P; Shaft
Drive System Type On-Demand True AWD/2WD/ VersaTrac Turf Mode
Cooling Liquid
Engine Braking System (EBS) Not Equipped
Active Descent Control Not Equipped

Artic Cat Prowler 500 HDX $10,999

Engine Displacement, Engine Type 443, SOHC, 4-Stroke, 4-Valve w/EFI
Cooling System Par liquide avec double ventilateur
Bore x Stroke 89x71.2 mm
Alternator Capacity 28 amps
Fuel Capacity 8.2 gal
Posted By: Arrowslinger82

Re: Got the green light. - 09/08/14 02:51 PM

polaris all day long, then can am and then the cat. i have a 570 4 wheeler and it pulls like a beast. fuel efficient, comfortable ride, absolutely no issues. hauls me 230 pounds, my wife and corn with no issues, also have pulled a 10 foot trailer with 1000 pounds of corn and 3 feeders, a 250 pound guy and some other stuff with no problems. i tested out several atvs when i got mine, including a cat and can am. while the can am was more aesthetically pleasing and seemed cooler. i went with the polaris. you'll hear guys that say theres recalls, or have been and there have nut there are on any vehicles and manufacturers. just my preference i picked something that was the best of all the worlds i wanted. plus its pretty fast lol
Posted By: Loanman

Re: Got the green light. - 09/09/14 12:29 PM

You outta see my Prowler....
Love em
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: Got the green light. - 09/09/14 12:47 PM

I'm a big Polaris fan, personally.

If you are ever looking for add ons, check out bigcountryoutdoors.net to see some of their accessories - they have them for almost every UTV.
Posted By: twinbubba

Re: Got the green light. - 09/10/14 12:39 AM

For hunting I would choose none of those.
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Got the green light. - 09/10/14 01:36 AM

Depends on what you will be using it for.

Re: Got the green light. - 09/10/14 12:03 PM

What about the artic cat Wild Cat?

Posted By: twinbubba

Re: Got the green light. - 09/11/14 02:40 AM

That would be worthless as a hunting vehicle.
Posted By: spg

Re: Got the green light. - 09/11/14 05:49 PM

depends on what your main use will be.........if you have a few kids get the polaris crew not real nimble but safe for the kids I have the new 2014 900 crew........before the crew I had a 2010 800xp (not a crew) and it was easier to get around and fits on any trailer the crew fills up my little 16ft trailer but you can put some things in the back seat and bed.......main use is on the deer lease and at the house on field roads no mud hogging or hot roddin.
Posted By: MDMORROW

Re: Got the green light. - 09/12/14 10:14 PM

I'm getting ready to get the new ranger 900 crew. Not needing super fast but haul four people and stuff around the ranch, it's perfect.
Posted By: texasbowhunter321

Re: Got the green light. - 09/13/14 04:56 AM

Polaris
Posted By: htownarcher

Re: Got the green light. - 09/13/14 02:45 PM

Polaris
Posted By: flyboy2

Re: Got the green light. - 09/13/14 07:36 PM

Polaris 570 all day long. My brother in law has a new 570 4 wheeler and that is one sweet motor. I have a 900 Ranger that I LOVE.

This one is mine.
Posted By: texasbowhunter321

Re: Got the green light. - 09/13/14 08:55 PM

I wish I could afford one, nice machien
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Got the green light. - 09/14/14 02:47 AM

the Polaris all the way.
Posted By: Kenneth1977

Re: Got the green light. - 09/14/14 03:14 AM

Terryx two seated for hunting you can't beat the three warranty and as far as the rangers go they have a few known problems that I wouldn't want to deal with personly but to each there own

Re: Got the green light. - 09/14/14 06:51 AM

I have one for five years never had a problem I knew about Kenneth. I'm sure the Terryx salesman can tell you the ranger has problems.

Re: Got the green light. - 09/14/14 11:53 AM

Ok I bought one.. I had to think about 3 things to justify the expense beach during off season, hunting a having fun camping and trail riding. Although the one I bought is rated for 300 lbs rear cargo I think that is plenty for dear or hog. If I need more it does have a hitch and tow rating of 1,500 lbs for the dear lease I will buy the mini trailer for it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Kenneth1977

Re: Got the green light. - 09/14/14 12:23 PM

Originally Posted By: spg
I have one for five years never had a problem I knew about Kenneth. I'm sure the Terryx salesman can tell you the ranger has problems.

Not the salesman I have a customer and friend that does hunting conversions on most all sxs and he does a lot of them I know I supply the metal for them and he told me that out of all them the Polaris has the most issues that he has sceen and all I can say is I didn't want to even try an deal with them
I can say that err time I have been out in mine at a park I will walk right up what they rzr can't with out going full skinny pedal

Re: Got the green light. - 09/14/14 02:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Kenneth1977

Not the salesman I have a customer and friend that does hunting conversions on most all sxs and he does a lot of them I know I supply the metal for them and he told me that out of all them the Polaris has the most issues that he has sceen and all I can say is I didn't want to even try an deal with them
I can say that err time I have been out in mine at a park I will walk right up what they rzr can't with out going full skinny pedal

NOT SURE HOW THAT CAN BE CONFIRMED DUE POLARIS RANGER BEING THE MOST POPULAR FOR MANY YEARS AND STILL LEADING THE SXS INDUSTRY IN SALES, IF POLARIS HAS SO MANY PROBLEMS YOU THINK PEOPLE WOULD STOP BUYING THEM. ALL I KNOW IS I LOVE MINE AND NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH ANY ONE OF THEM.
Posted By: twospeed29

Re: Got the green light. - 09/26/14 03:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Kenneth1977

NOT SURE HOW THAT CAN BE CONFIRMED DUE POLARIS RANGER BEING THE MOST POPULAR FOR MANY YEARS AND STILL LEADING THE SXS INDUSTRY IN SALES, IF POLARIS HAS SO MANY PROBLEMS YOU THINK PEOPLE WOULD STOP BUYING THEM. ALL I KNOW IS I LOVE MINE AND NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH ANY ONE OF THEM.

^^^^you sir need to unwad them panties lol whip
Posted By: tdecker22

Re: Got the green light. - 09/28/14 02:43 PM

I own a ranger also and when I here people talk about problems with them here is what I say "4 out of 5 utv's sold are rangers so the more you have out there the more things that can go wrong." By the way I have never had any problem out of my 2011 800xp.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Got the green light. - 09/28/14 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by cyberpyrot
Ok I bought one.. I had to think about 3 things to justify the expense beach during off season, hunting a having fun camping and trail riding. Although the one I bought is rated for 300 lbs rear cargo I think that is plenty for dear or hog. If I need more it does have a hitch and tow rating of 1,500 lbs for the dear lease I will buy the mini trailer for it.

[Linked Image]

Waiting for a review from you on the Wildcat. My FIL is looking to buy one.

I hate to burst your bubble, but you can't legally ride those on Texas beaches, Texas beaches are highways. You can drive your registered vehicle, but no OHV's
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Got the green light. - 09/28/14 06:08 PM

I see golf carts on the beach all the time. What is the difference (other than gas motor vs electric)? I ask out of ignorance because I don't have a clue.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Got the green light. - 09/28/14 07:28 PM

Ranger out of that group.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Got the green light. - 09/29/14 01:27 AM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout
I see golf carts on the beach all the time. What is the difference (other than gas motor vs electric)? I ask out of ignorance because I don't have a clue.

Since the speed limit on a beach is 15mph, and a golf cart in some areas is considered a "community vehicle" meaning in certain communities with golf courses they can be used on the road to go from home to course. I don't think they are "legal" on a beach, but that could depend on the city of which the beach lies. And no, putting a orange slow moving vehicle placard on the back of a SxS and trying to pass it as a farm implement, which can be driven on roads and highways, will not sufice (although it was a good try)
Posted By: Jasb

Re: Got the green light. - 09/29/14 02:49 AM

Originally Posted By: BigPig
Originally Posted By: grout-scout

Since the speed limit on a beach is 15mph, and a golf cart in some areas is considered a "community vehicle" meaning in certain communities with golf courses they can be used on the road to go from home to course. I don't think they are "legal" on a beach, but that could depend on the city of which the beach lies. And no, putting a orange slow moving vehicle placard on the back of a SxS and trying to pass it as a farm implement, which can be driven on roads and highways, will not sufice (although it was a good try)

Used the triangle for years with no issue...unless you find a cop with a chip on his shoulder you'll be fine.
Posted By: Jasb

Re: Got the green light. - 09/29/14 12:05 PM

ROVs may not be driven on public roads unless the:

■vehicle is owned by a state, county or municipality and operated on a public beach or highway to maintain public safety and welfare,
■driver is a farmer or a rancher traveling no more than 25 miles,
■driver is a public utility worker, or
■driver is a law enforcement officer.
http://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle/off-highway-vehicles

That's from the DPS. As long as I am 25 miles from the ranch it is Bueno.

Re: Got the green light. - 09/29/14 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by BigPig
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot

[Linked Image]

Waiting for a review from you on the Wildcat. My FIL is looking to buy one.

I hate to burst your bubble, but you can't legally ride those on Texas beaches, Texas beaches are highways. You can drive your registered vehicle, but no OHV's

The wild cat is awesome I love it.. as far as the beach thing.. you can purchase a permit to drive on bolever beach in galveston.. it is a yearly permit and it cost $5 they do not care if it is street legal as long as the state gets its $5. We can drive on our beaches it must suck to be in your area..

http://www.crystalbeach.com/BeachSticker/parkingCB.htm
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Got the green light. - 09/29/14 12:57 PM

That might be what Corpus Christi has too, I know all those golf carts have some way to drive there.
Posted By: MDMORROW

Re: Got the green light. - 10/03/14 01:52 PM

Corpus has a permit for the beach too. Plenty of utvs down there You have to have the permit to park on the beach mainly
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum