Texas Hunting Forum

Another Truck Tire Question

Posted By: donswin

Another Truck Tire Question - 07/02/14 10:25 PM

I have a GMC Sierra 1500. It will be needing two tires soon so I'm going to replace all 4.

My use is:
85% Road and City streets.
10% Gravel and dirt ranch roads and creek beds.
5% Mud on the dirt ranch roads when it rains.

While on the hunting lease, I am subject to getting cactus or mesquite thorns. What concerns me most is getting stuck if it rains.

From what I can tell, 10 ply will resist thorns at the sacrifice of mpg due to weight.

I have used mud tires on a different truck and they worked well but were noisy, hurt mpg badly and slid on wet streets.

What have you used that sounds like it would be a good fit. Each time I do a search, the reviews scare me off of the tires I thought I wanted.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Another Truck Tire Question - 07/02/14 10:30 PM

I run BFG AT's and they work better than the other tires I have tried, but they cost more. I have tried Coopers, Nitto, Bridgestone, Wranglers and a few others.

I rotate every 5-7k, drive about 50k a year and typically can get 55k out of a set. Usually, road noise starts around 30-35k. They dig well for an all terrain and hold up better than most to rocks. Rarely get a flat.
Posted By: twinbubba

Re: Another Truck Tire Question - 07/02/14 10:58 PM

I have had better luck/mileage from Nitto Terra Grappler E load range than I ever did with BFG AT. So there you go, two posts and two opposing opinions. confused2

Re: Another Truck Tire Question - 07/02/14 11:11 PM

Originally Posted By: twinbubba
I have had better luck/mileage from Nitto Terra Grappler E load range than I ever did with BFG AT. So there you go, two posts and two opposing opinions. confused2

That's what is so great about reviews...
Posted By: easton1025

Re: Another Truck Tire Question - 07/02/14 11:22 PM

I run the Falken ATS load range E on a Excursion and got 48k out of the last set..It was a 55k mile tire so got 28 dollars each tire for the new ones..The excursion is a much heavier vehicle so you will probably get the full 55 k out of them...No punctures,self cleaning and most important great in the rain....
Posted By: progress4m

Re: Another Truck Tire Question - 07/03/14 07:23 PM

I would recommend looking at Bridgestone Revo AT 2; they are 50K tire and will last at least that;
With your use I think they would be great! And I don’t think I ever had better tires in the rain.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Another Truck Tire Question - 07/03/14 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
Originally Posted By: twinbubba

That's what is so great about reviews...

I've never gotten more than 30k of BFG AT's..grant it that's on an F250.

Ill never run another tire other then duratracs or toyo ATII et's
Posted By: Kenneth1977

Re: Another Truck Tire Question - 07/03/14 07:55 PM

Falken and nittos will out last any tire on the market and it's proven over and over again .
Posted By: alexrex20

Re: Another Truck Tire Question - 07/03/14 07:57 PM

You should try out the BFG LTX A/T2. They're a true all-terrain, and perform much better than their not-so-aggressive looking tread pattern would lead you to believe. But they're also very quiet, awesome in the rain, and last a long time. I got 45k out of them under my Duramax.

I've run them on my little Nissan SUV as well, and they performed great on the trails.

The downside is that they're not that great in the mud. Is your GMC a 4x4?

Re: Another Truck Tire Question - 07/03/14 07:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Kenneth1977
Falken and nittos will out last any tire on the market and it's proven over and over again .

I disagree on the Falkens. Their Rocky Mountain ATS (Discount Tire only) are complete [censored]. Everyone I know that tried them has only bad things to say. They don't last long because they cup very easily, even with regular rotations. They're not that great off-road, nor on wet roads.

Nitto Terra Grapplers are great tires, last a long time, and are typically a lot cheaper than Michelins, BFGs, or Toyos.

Re: Another Truck Tire Question - 07/03/14 08:02 PM

Originally Posted By: alexrex20

I disagree on the Falkens. Their Rocky Mountain ATS (Discount Tire only) are complete [censored]. Everyone I know that tried them has only bad things to say. They don't last long because they cup very easily, even with regular rotations. They're not that great off-road, nor on wet roads.

Nitto Terra Grapplers are great tires, last a long time, and are typically a lot cheaper than Michelins, BFGs, or Toyos.

Go check out how mel wade puts to work on the JK experience the last few years and tell me they dont work off raod and i have them on my truck and wear great with only one rotation and about 10,000 miles so far.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Another Truck Tire Question - 07/03/14 10:03 PM

I had one set of Falken Rocky Mountain 10 ply bought from Discount Tire. Drove to my lease in West Texas for a total of 450 miles and had a flat the first day of hunting. Went into Ft. Stockton and bought a new set of BFG AT 10 ply from a local tire store. Never had a flat while hunting with BFG's in 4 previous years. When I was done hunting went back to discount and got a refund on the Falken tires.
Posted By: donswin

Re: Another Truck Tire Question - 07/03/14 11:33 PM

I failed to mention that my GMC is a 4X4 gas engine.

The only reason I'm concerned about mud traction is our lease is pretty remote and I would hate to get stuck in there. My wife is usually with me and gets panicky when I just slip the back end out a little. The sound of spinning tires freaks her out.

So I am looking for a decent road tire that can handle mud, if such a tire exists.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'm comparing them and welcome more comments and recommendations.

Re: Another Truck Tire Question - 07/03/14 11:58 PM

Go check out how mel wade puts to work on the JK experience the last few years and tell me they dont work off raod and i have them on my truck and wear great with only one rotation and about 10,000 miles so far.

Lol, you couldn't give me a set of terra grapples AGAIN. 21k on a f150 and they were balled. I got 50k out of a set of duratracs on an avalanche, if my wife would of rotated them she would of probably pushed 70k out them.

Re: Another Truck Tire Question - 07/04/14 12:06 AM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Lol, you couldn't give me a set of terra grapples AGAIN. 21k on a f150 and they were balled. I got 50k out of a set of duratracs on an avalanche, if my wife would of rotated them she would of probably pushed 70k out them.

I did manage to squeak out 30k on my terra grapplers, but could get stuck in wet grass.

Surprised at your experiences with BFG's, I have never got under 50k out of mine and have pushed them past 60k as long as it wasn't in season. Seem to hold up better than the others to the rocks and punctures. Working on construction sites, nails are always an issue and I hate flat tires. The sidewalls and higher profile seem to help with this.

My FIL runs Faulken on his Duramax and likes them, but he rarely goes off road.

Re: Another Truck Tire Question - 07/04/14 12:29 AM

I think BFG is a good tire just not for the heaviest diesel truck on the market

Put it this way anything I get 50k on my wife's avalanche gets 20k more.

Best two tires I've ran are Toyo AT II and duratracs. Haven't decided what I'm going with on her surburba
Yet but probably duratrac

Re: Another Truck Tire Question - 07/04/14 12:38 AM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
I think BFG is a good tire just not for the heaviest diesel truck on the market

Put it this way anything I get 50k on my wife's avalanche gets 20k more.

Best two tires I've ran are Toyo AT II and duratracs. Haven't decided what I'm going with on her surburba
Yet but probably duratrac

Never owned a diesel, so maybe that is the difference. Haven't tried the Toyo, might try on the next set. Heard good things about them.
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Another Truck Tire Question - 07/04/14 01:04 AM

Falken= doodoo, I got 28k out of them on a 3/4 ton and they were terrible off road. Nitto Terra grapplers only suck slightly less than that, just bc of their good on road manners.

Once my mt toyos are done (29k so far, prob get 35k) I will be getting the AT2's, heard nothing but great things about them!
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Another Truck Tire Question - 07/04/14 02:19 AM

I am a big fan of BFG ATs. I believe I'm on my 6th set. I will generally get 55 to 60,000 miles and have never had a flat. In 2007 I drove from TX and spent the summer in Alaska. Of the 18,000 miles that summer at least 4,000 of that was off-road and on haul roads, not a single flat. That made me a believer.

They don't do well in mud compared to more aggressive tires, and they seem to wear faster on heavy trucks (diesels). But, for 1/2 ton they are a solid choice. Currently running load range E's.

I ran one set of BFG Mud Terrains as well. They were better in the mud, but the sacrifice was noise and wear.

Re: Another Truck Tire Question - 07/04/14 02:20 AM

I couldn't care less who Mel Wade is or how his tires hold up.

Re: Another Truck Tire Question - 07/04/14 02:26 AM

Originally Posted By: donswin
I failed to mention that my GMC is a 4X4 gas engine.

The only reason I'm concerned about mud traction is our lease is pretty remote and I would hate to get stuck in there. My wife is usually with me and gets panicky when I just slip the back end out a little. The sound of spinning tires freaks her out.

So I am looking for a decent road tire that can handle mud, if such a tire exists.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'm comparing them and welcome more comments and recommendations.

You could try a less aggressive all-terrain like a BFG Rugged Trail. They do decent in the mud - certainly better than a true highway tire.

As long as you don't try to drive through a giant mudhole, and stay on the path which should be harder packed than wandering off into the field, most any tire will be good enough. As long as the truck is still moving forward, a little wheelspin isn't a big deal.

I certainly wouldn't recommend a hardcore mud tire if 99.9% of your driving is on pavement. Your GMC 4x4 should have the rear locker, so don't worry too much about getting stuck on a slightly muddy dirt road. Just shift it into 4x4 when you get there, and leave it in 4WD until you leave. Don't make the common n00b mistake of only shifting into 4WD once you're already stuck in 2WD.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Another Truck Tire Question - 07/04/14 03:31 AM

3/4 ton Dodge with a Cummins. Lots of highway, lots of offroad and rock roads. May through September it has Nitto Terra Grapplers all terrains on, and it has a trailer hooked up to it many times per week. The Nittos have been the best tire I've ever had. Every other tire has been worn out a little over 30,000 miles. The current set will exceed 45,000.

Winter time I swap out wheels and tires for mud tires, but that's not for everyone.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Another Truck Tire Question - 07/04/14 07:18 PM

I've had good running with Hankook tires. 140,000 on two sets.
Posted By: westexhunt

Re: Another Truck Tire Question - 07/04/14 09:19 PM

Run a good AT, yokohama geolander has worked well around here and add a reciever hitch and removable winch for the lease. I have not had any mud tire last very long. The ranch truck now has Goodyear mtr's and they have been stellar but I don't put many miles on that truck.
Posted By: Bbcat78

Re: Another Truck Tire Question - 07/12/14 12:33 AM

Michelin or hankook. Best ones for me so far
Posted By: Texas Bohunk

Re: Another Truck Tire Question - 07/12/14 12:55 AM

I'm thinking about the Goodyear Kevlar Mud and Snow tire when I have to replace mine.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Another Truck Tire Question - 07/14/14 04:05 PM

I don't personally know a person that has a single complaint with bfg at's except price. Never had a complaint with them either.

Sold my dad on a set of duratracs for his duramax, they have been ok, but dad isn't so wild about them because with about 5k miles he got a flat... not to many tires will stop a 20 penny nail... Some people have unreal expectations, some people have bad luck and get a flat on a good set of tires early on that would flatten any tire on the market and it leaves a bad taste in their mouth.

Rotating your tires will greatly prolong the life of your tire. If your going to be going off road get a E range tire.

Re: Another Truck Tire Question - 07/14/14 04:23 PM

I couldn't care less who Mel Wade is or how his tires hold up.

Well thats to bad your missing out.
Posted By: ssgp2

Re: Another Truck Tire Question - 07/14/14 04:53 PM

Michelin LTX M/S is the only tire I use now. I typically get 75 to 100k out of 'em.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Another Truck Tire Question - 07/14/14 05:34 PM

Originally Posted By: ssgp2
Michelin LTX M/S is the only tire I use now. I typically get 75 to 100k out of 'em.

My uncle runs them on a 12 valve cummins 2wd and says he has gotten at least 90k out of his last 3 sets.
Posted By: Revoman

Re: Another Truck Tire Question - 07/16/14 12:32 PM

Just changed out my Michelin AT for a set of Cooper AT3's. My mileage went down but I now have a set of true AT's
Posted By: Bud1

Re: Another Truck Tire Question - 07/18/14 10:08 PM

I have a Ram1500 4x4, I'm on my third set or tires...Here is my opinion on what I've tried:

toyo m/t's, 35x12.5x20: heaviest tire I've ever experienced...do not recommend them. For a m/t, I was not impressed at all.
Next up was 35x12.5x20 Pro Comp extreme A/T. I got these more for highway, and had read that they were decent in the mud. Wrong, got stuck in my YARD!! lol That was in East Texas Red Clay, but still embarrassing! LOL
I am currently running 35x12.5x18 Kumho KL71 m/t on new Black RBP R94 wheels...I got the tires at Tire Rack for $1200! ALL 4!! Extra for mounting but for what I paid for them would have covered only 2-3 tires of the other sets of Toyo and Pro Comps. They are "D" rated compared to the others "E" rating. Much better ride! AND So far they are quite on the street, look mean as hell, aggressive treads. I have not gotten them in the mud just yet, but I think they will perform good enough for deer season?! From what I read, they do wear fast, but at that price...If I can get 3 years out of them, I win IMO!
Best of Luck!
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Another Truck Tire Question - 07/18/14 11:32 PM

So, the toyos were too heavy for you so they sucked. Then you got pro comp mud terrains to drive on the highway, but they got you stuck one time so they suck too. And now, you're driving on cheap tires ($1200 plus mounting), look cool, and are quiet so they're super awesome? Makes sense...

FYI I got my 35x12.5x17 Toyo MT's for $1415 out the door, as of today they have 32k on them with a lot of that pulling a gooseneck and I'm betting I'll squeeze 40k out of em
Posted By: Dustnsand

Re: Another Truck Tire Question - 07/19/14 02:01 AM

I've been impressed with Duratacs, I have poked a hole in them once and got a slow leak once but for a AT they're a great tire.

Price wise I love my Jeep. I bought 5 35s a few months back and paid less than I did for 4 on my truck. 15" wheel is a lot cheaper than 18"
Posted By: txvarminter

Re: Another Truck Tire Question - 07/20/14 04:10 AM

BFG all terrain T/As. I've run 5 sets and fixing to buy my 6th set. NEVER get less than 55k out of them and have only had 2 flats in all 5 sets and I run over mesquites all the time. The current set on the wife's Tacoma has 63k miles on them and will probably make another 5k before replacement.
Posted By: taylormade820

Re: Another Truck Tire Question - 07/30/14 01:30 AM

I got great milage out of the Terra Grapplers
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum