Texas Hunting Forum

What side by side is your choice for hunting?

Posted By: James-K.

What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 05/20/13 04:19 AM

So.... What is your choice for a side by side for hunting?
Need pros and cons.
The RZR is always the popular choice but I want to know what what do you think about the new Honda Side by Side 4 seater.

With this I can haul my load, or take my buddies for a trip. And best of all its not belt driven.

I'm looking to buy one when hunting season gets here.
Posted By: twinbubba

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 05/20/13 10:39 AM

Sounds like you already made your mind up. I love my Rhino works of me but I only have one hunting buddy.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 05/20/13 11:22 PM

Rzr would be worthless to me, I don't care what brand it is as long as I can fill the bed with corn. I've had 1000 lbs in my Mule and somehow it still ran decent. Good UTVs but not too good on rough ground, they'll beat you to death.
Posted By: chearn99

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 05/20/13 11:29 PM

Ranger XP. I have the 800 but the 900 will be my next. The belt intake is fairly high so unless your in water to the seat you should be good
Posted By: dawaba

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 05/21/13 12:34 AM

Krieghoff in .470.

That, and my Kubota RTV900. I use my UTV far more as a working rig on my farm than I do for hunting. But I've shot a deer or two, as well as lots of hogs and a few coyotes.
Posted By: gaharris

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 05/21/13 12:44 AM

Polaris Ranger hands down. Best ride, most power, lots of dealers for service
Posted By: donswin

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 05/21/13 01:04 AM

I sure like my Polaris Ranger. It is the single seat (short wheel base) with a high rack in back that comfortably seats 2 more.

Nothing has stopped it yet and everyone enjoys the "Safari Seat".
Posted By: A.B.

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 05/21/13 02:01 AM

Originally Posted By: gaharris
Polaris Ranger hands down. Best ride, most power, lots of dealers for service
Posted By: don k

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 05/21/13 02:22 AM

Originally Posted By: dawaba
Krieghoff in .470.

That, and my Kubota RTV900. I use my UTV far more as a working rig on my farm than I do for hunting. But I've shot a deer or two, as well as lots of hogs and a few coyotes.
I am with you. Had mine for a little over 2 years and about 1100 hours on it. Only problem I have had is wearing out a set of tires.
Posted By: TxAg

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 05/21/13 03:09 AM

So far the gas models are all too loud for my preference. And the electrics (Bad Boy, Polaris) will cost you a fortune and may leave you stranded. A pickup is still the best option for me.

But, if I had to get one tomorrow, it's be a Ranger.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 05/21/13 01:36 PM

I'm with dawaba and don k in having the Kubota RTV900 diesel. Not quiet, but like with the tractor I suppose the critters have gotten used to it. It's more a work vehicle (we call it The Dump Truck) than a hunting vehicle, and boy will that thing work. I don't know what it'd take to overload it. The bad news is that it isn't worth much in deep mud, but that isn't a problem here in central Texas.

If I wanted a mud-capable hunting side-by-side, I'd get the Yamaha Rhino. If I was showing real estate, I'd get a 4 seater by Honda or Kawasaki or maybe Polaris. I'd lean toward the Honda since, in my experience, you can't kill a Honda.
Posted By: ijohnston

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 05/21/13 01:58 PM

I love my 2013 polaris crew. that thing will go anywhere
Posted By: Cypress Legend

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 05/21/13 03:05 PM

Polaris ranger or Canam commander for hunting. The Hondas 3 speed auto leaves a lot to be desired.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 05/21/13 03:48 PM

I chose a John Deere Gator because I could load it into the back of my pickup, with my 3 dogs and hunt anywhere in Texas. My first choice would have otherwise been a Mule. The Ranger would have been way down my list because of the restricted opening through the tailgate.

Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 05/21/13 05:20 PM

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 05/21/13 08:42 PM

Full size Polaris Rangers are much better in rugged terrain than the Kawasaki Mule. Both are great on flatter or milder terrain. If you need more power, payload and speed get a Ranger. Mule will work for those but less/slower and anything else. I have put over 100+ per month on both models in the last 10 yrs.

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 05/21/13 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Full size Polaris Rangers are much better in rugged terrain than the Kawasaki Mule. Both are great on flatter or milder terrain. If you need more power, payload and speed get a Ranger. Mule will work for those but less/slower and anything else. I have put over 100+ per month on both models in the last 10 yrs.

Which do you use when you have to load a 4 by 6 sheet of plywood in the bed?

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 05/21/13 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Which do you use when you have to load a 4 by 6 sheet of plywood in the bed?

Both, I can lay it across the top of the bed or lay the tail gate down putting in the bed like anyone else would since both my beds are the same size as the one on your gator.

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 05/21/13 09:40 PM

I guess they changed the tailgate to 49 inches across the rear since I last looked at one. I've seen some really ugly home made dog boxes made to fit around those old tail lights.
Posted By: James-K.

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 05/22/13 12:41 AM

Thanks all. I have always been a honda fan. But not sure the new sxs is what i need. I think will look at the ranger again.
Posted By: jdickey

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 05/22/13 01:33 AM

Can-Am Commander has the best ride and handling, better gas mileage @ 71HP

Posted By: ijohnston

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 05/22/13 12:45 PM

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 05/22/13 12:58 PM

my 11 rzr 800s. No bed space but I do not need it.

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 05/22/13 01:30 PM

the rangers are nice but i don't care for the plastic bed

for utility either the kubota or regular mule.

both are rough as heck ride wise but you can't beat them for working.

Very few people actually "hunt" outta a SXS so you have to weigh the options of how much you are gonna work it. if i was just cruising around and throwing a deer or bag of corn in the bed here and there I would choose a ranger.

For any type of work I like the metal bed of the mule. I put 750 lbs of corn in ours and put around like its nothing. Did the same thing with a ranger and it felt like the bed was dragging the ground. the ranger has an IRS
Posted By: redchevy

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 05/22/13 02:26 PM

a truck.
Posted By: Ranger Man

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 05/22/13 02:59 PM

Frequently carry 1,000 pounds of feed at a time and no problems. Good luck in your selection.

Posted By: Chuck McDonald

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 05/22/13 04:59 PM

CJ5
Posted By: billybob

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 05/22/13 05:29 PM

Polaris ranger xp 900

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 05/22/13 10:33 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
I guess they changed the tailgate to 49 inches across the rear since I last looked at one. I've seen some really ugly home made dog boxes made to fit around those old tail lights.

Mine is a 2007 Ranger 700 and the bed is just under 50" wide at the narrowest spot out by the tailgate/lights. It is around 55" wide inside after that.
Posted By: gtrich94

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 05/24/13 11:03 PM

Another +1 for the kubota 900. It holds me and my 2 kids and we have only found one place on our lease that it can't go. That spot is a hill that the guys with the single person atv's can barely get up. If you get one, make sure you get the aftermarket coast valve. I got tired of getting thrown into the windshield every time I took my foot off the gas. Once I swapped out the valve, the thing was awesome.
Posted By: JeremyKS

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 05/25/13 02:51 AM

Sure like my 2009 Ranger XP 700, I use it everyday on the ranch plus hunting. I have a little over 8000 miles on it and its still trucking. I like that you can haul 3 people and carry lots in the bed.
Posted By: Hunter Lee

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 05/30/13 06:03 PM

I will be picking up my new 2013 Ranger Crew tonight!! Will post pics later. How hard is it installing the 2" lift on these things. Looks like the lift kit is only about $150...
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 05/30/13 06:56 PM

I was told to be careful using a lift due to the fact it will add extra stress to certain operational areas that will not hold up. I kept mine all stock but the guy that lifted his tore some things up that was not cheap..but someone may be more in the know than I. I may add some larger tires for clearance
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 05/31/13 03:43 AM

A buddy of mine put that cheap lift on his crew, less than a year and a half later it's in the shop and they're claiming $3k in repairs. Wheel bearings, A-Arm bushings, CV boots... All wear items, yes, but not after 18 months. This is already after he's had to replace both front axles with aftermarket ones. Those cheap lifts play hell on driveline angles.

Having said that, we've used that thing all over our lease, and it's a hoss. You'll enjoy it.
Posted By: East-Tx hunter

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 06/04/13 02:23 AM

Rhino it just won't break
Posted By: Hunter_Man

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 06/10/13 09:59 PM

I bought a Kawasaki teryx4 this past winter. I wish it had a larger bed, but that's the ONLY downfall, period. the new clutch system is awesome. not jerky like the rangers and rzrs I've driven, and it'll beat both from 0-50. remove the rev limiter and mine will go 65. it rides like a Cadillac and was much less than a rzr. I paid like 12k for it for the 4 seater camo edition with power steering and a 5 yr bumper to bumper warranty. (then I got a helluva trade in on my mule to top it off) a similar rzr was about 4k more and they wouldn't budge on price.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 06/11/13 01:11 PM

1981 CJ-5
Posted By: MuddyWater

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 06/14/13 08:09 PM

I have had several 4-wheelers throughout my life and claimed that I would never need or want a side X side. However, I bought a Ranger XP 800 last year and I have to say that I will never own another 4-wheeler. A couple of guys on our lease have CJ's and I will tell you that there are more applications for a side X side in the area that I hunt.
Posted By: Curtis

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 06/21/13 01:44 PM

Originally Posted By: James-K.
So.... What is your choice for a side by side for hunting?
Need pros and cons.
The RZR is always the popular choice but I want to know what what do you think about the new Honda Side by Side 4 seater.

With this I can haul my load, or take my buddies for a trip. And best of all its not belt driven.

I'm looking to buy one when hunting season gets here.

The RZR the popular choice? Really? That thing is a toy and not a work horse like the Ranger or Mule. I can't remember the last time I have even seen one of those on the back of someones trailer going to a lease or anywhere! Probably 70% of the side by side ATV that I see going down I-10 are Polaris Rangers and then you see the Kawasaki Mule and everything else.
Posted By: stylesp

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 06/22/13 12:34 AM

Polaris Ranger
Posted By: westexhunt

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 06/24/13 04:58 AM

Where I go the Ranger is king. The ranch hands get a k mule. I have been fighting off the urge to buy one for years and I am done. I am picking up a new Ranger crew this week. They are too expensive for what you get but there is nothing else that compares and they hold their value like a 4x4 tacoma. In fact they are the 4x4 tacoma of the atv world. I have driven and worked on everything (including restoring a couple CJ's). I am buying a Ranger. No disrespect to Mule lovers but put the mule and the ranger side by side/ back to back and run them, the Mule is a joke in comparison. It reminds me of the the "Little Engine That Could". I think I can, I think I can, I think I can, is what I had chugging through my mind the last time I drove a Kawasaki Mule up a little hill. Anyone who has driven a Mule has to agree it's downright embarrassing when you run a mule against a ranger. Run like $hit, ride like $hit should be the kawasaki moto. "It's better than walking" was the second thought I had. Kawasaki should hire me.

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 06/24/13 12:50 PM

Bought a 2013 Ranger 500 Crew May 30th. Sure love this thing. Haven't worked it at the lease yet, but took it to Rocky Ridge a couple times to check out it capabilities. It's a hoss for sure!

Here is taking it home from the dealer.

Needless to say my 4 month old loves riding in it too! Puts him to sleep every time!

Posted By: westexhunt

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 06/28/13 07:50 PM

Picked up my Ranger Crew this week, added a Pro Box top and have been running it hard. Love this thing. Tires wheels and lift on the way.
Posted By: dell67

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 07/30/13 10:33 PM

i like the ranger crew
Posted By: jcarlson91

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 08/01/13 07:26 PM

rhino

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 08/01/13 09:01 PM

Just picked up a ranger 900 and threw a little lift, snorkels and tires on her

Posted By: Weegs

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 08/02/13 02:17 PM

+1 for the Rhino. My son and I went in together on a used 660 and it continues to be a running machine. We have pulled loaded 16' trailers, tipped up deer blinds, and generally enjoyed the heck out of the thing. I know that Polaris is popular but I would encourage anyone to look at the Rhino.
Posted By: TXDRAKE

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 08/04/13 12:49 AM

Ranger 6x6!!!
Posted By: HoosierDaddy3

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 08/05/13 03:16 AM

I love my Rhino, but would look at the Ranger too. The Rzr isn't a hunter...just a toy for yuppies.
Posted By: rvrrat14

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 08/05/13 01:11 PM

M38 Willys jeep..........
Posted By: 240z

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 08/06/13 01:39 AM

Suzuki Samurai, warm and dry, tough and inexpensive.
Posted By: twinbubba

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 08/06/13 02:04 AM

I can stay home and stay "warm and dry". muyloco
Posted By: Navasot

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 08/06/13 02:13 AM

Had a cub cadet volunteer for years and havnt had a problem yet

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 08/07/13 07:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Cypress Legend
Just picked up a ranger 900 and threw a little lift, snorkels and tires on her

Wow whata TANK!! Did you go with 30" Terms??
Posted By: headhunter54

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 08/08/13 04:18 PM

My 660 Rhino has been tough and will run if until it falls apart completely.

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 08/08/13 06:13 PM

33 inch terms. great tire!
Posted By: Hirogen

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 08/11/13 04:52 AM

For chores and hauling whitetail and bears:

For when the going gets nasty:

Posted By: DudleyDoRight76

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 08/26/13 08:01 PM

I persoanlly use my UTV for working around the house & at the deer lease. So i need pulling power & bed room. Therefor the only 2 i have ever used is the Polaris Ranger & what i currently use; a 4 seater mule. I will never own a polaris again because the shop had it more than i did. The mule will pull a house down & can hold 20 bags of corn in the bed. If you want to haul a$$ get something else, but if you want power & dont mind cruising around.... The Mule is the best UTV!

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 08/26/13 08:15 PM

Posted By: don k

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 08/26/13 09:51 PM

I don't normally drive a side by side, but when I do I drive a Kubota. Drive safely my friends.

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 08/27/13 12:45 PM

Just added 2" lift, 27" Maxxis Bighorns, and Gun Racks/Bag. Ready for season!!

Posted By: FiiTank

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 08/28/13 09:51 PM

Love my Ranger Crew 800! Hauls the family and gear comfortably. Great Power/Handling for long hauls and rugged terrain.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 09/05/13 03:08 AM

Originally Posted By: FiiTank
Love my Ranger Crew 800! Hauls the family and gear comfortably. Great Power/Handling for long hauls and rugged terrain.

What top is that? Best one ive seen yet

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 09/12/13 08:19 PM

For hunting or work- Kawasaki Mule

For looking cool or driving 60 mph- anything else
Posted By: Growin Wild Outdoors

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 09/12/13 11:47 PM

Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: What side by side is your choice for hunting? - 09/13/13 01:34 AM

What back seat is that? I really like it
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum