Texas Hunting Forum

Power steering on ranger

Posted By: Hank the bird dog

Power steering on ranger - 03/19/13 10:55 PM

I'm looking at some new rangers and was hoping some one could provide any feedback on power steering and if it's worth the extra $800- $1000? I'll be using it to drive around the deer lease mainly. I was also told that the 800 with power steering does not come in camo? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Power steering on ranger - 03/19/13 11:40 PM

I do not see the need.
Posted By: bholt

Re: Power steering on ranger - 03/20/13 01:03 AM

I have a 2008 500 ranger and personally would not want it. I had the chance to buy 700 back when I got my 500 for another 1000.00 dolaars and choose the 500.I work my unit daily and still do not regret going with the 500. IMO they are putting too many bells and whistles on hese things.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Power steering on ranger - 03/20/13 02:40 AM

It always amazes me when I see people advise against buying something they haven't bought and used their self.

Its the best extra money you could spend for a Ranger. I've owned one without and now have one with it and it is well worth the money.

You will love it especially when you have to maneuver through tight places and turns. Also doesn't knock the wheel out of the grip of your hand when you hit large ruts and bumps like the ones without power steering will do.

You don't need camo. The green color looks great and blends in well with the surroundings.

Originally Posted By: Hank the bird dog
I'm looking at some new rangers and was hoping some one could provide any feedback on power steering and if it's worth the extra $800- $1000? I'll be using it to drive around the deer lease mainly. I was also told that the 800 with power steering does not come in camo? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Posted By: Ranger Man

Re: Power steering on ranger - 03/20/13 04:40 AM

Hank,

My 2010 XP Browning Limited does not have power steering and there were a few times on the lease I wish it had it. Easy solution for me was to install a steering knob which really helped in navigating the tight spots. Good luck with your Ranger purchase!

Posted By: JustWingem

Re: Power steering on ranger - 03/20/13 05:30 AM

You can buy power steering kits for about $650. I have been thinking about it for mine.

Re: Power steering on ranger - 03/20/13 02:52 PM

Thank you for the feedback. I appreciate it.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Power steering on ranger - 03/20/13 03:37 PM

Sort of like a car, you don't really need power steering on the open road, but sure is nice in parking lots and cities. If you are going in a straight line save your money, but if you will be maneuvering such as spot spraying it will be appreciated.
Posted By: Hunter_Man

Re: Power steering on ranger - 03/20/13 06:29 PM

i just bought a 2013 kawasaki teryx 4. i got a good deal, so i sprung for the model with power steering. before this, i had a mule 3010. it's night and day man. i don't want to sound spoiled, but i will never have one without power steering again... period. my old mule would beat me up. i had the cheater ball on it like the above picture, and if i was slopping through mud and caught a boulder, it would snap the wheel out of my hand. no more with this. it's a much more comfortable ride.

Re: Power steering on ranger - 03/20/13 08:50 PM

Thanks again for the feedback guys. I'm leaning towards the power steering.
Posted By: luke0872

Re: Power steering on ranger - 03/20/13 11:11 PM

I bought a 2013 800 midsize with no power steering awhile back. Im running 28" tires with a 2" lift. Run it all over the ranch and I don't really see the need for it very ofter. For tight turns it would be nice to have. Also for when hitting the bumps or logs like others said. No power steering will definitely keep the women away from driving it though.
Posted By: texasgal

Re: Power steering on ranger - 03/21/13 12:14 AM

I bought a 2010 with PS AND camo used. Bought a Recon without and wish it had PS.
Posted By: KG68

Re: Power steering on ranger - 03/21/13 12:52 AM

I drive Rangers weekly with and without. For my personal use I'll never own one without it. I tried out the new Polaris 4/wheeler with PS and I love it also. up
Posted By: Hook-Em

Re: Power steering on ranger - 03/21/13 01:10 AM

Power steering is the only way to go. IMO.
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Power steering on ranger - 03/21/13 02:32 PM

I was in your same position when I purchased my crew 800 a year ago. Didn't know whether it was worth the additional money or not. Let me tell you I won't have another without it even if I have to put it on aftermarket.

Worth every penny! I have the camo and it has the EPS.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Power steering on ranger - 03/21/13 03:25 PM

I will tell you this from my experience of Mules and Rangers with and without power steering. Mules are much better to drive with it period. Rangers will depend on what you are doing with them and what type of terrain you are driving IME. I have driven older model 2x4 and 4x6 Rangers without PS and they were fine on smooth roads. In tight quarters spraying brush for instance not so good at times. IME in West Texas hunting off the main roads out of my Ranger I will not have power steering. It is to fast reacting when you hit a hole or rock. It will jam your thumbs, hands or wrists if you hit something wrong and not paying attention. I have a friend with PS on his Ranger Crew and he had had a hurt thumbs or wrists each of the last 2 yrs now hunting off road out of his Ranger. I bought my Ranger without power steerings since I use it out West and in South Texas to hunt out of. I also had a couple of dealers tell me the same thing I found out when using it off road in rough terrain. If you are only using it roads then I would get the power steering. With kids it is very fast reacting so that is another consideration if they will be driving the Ranger. When I buy another Ranger I will not get power steering on it either. I averaged around 3+ hours per day on Mules and Rangers over the last 10 yrs using them as a daily work vehicle on ranches.
Posted By: Lone Star Outdoors

Re: Power steering on ranger - 03/21/13 03:50 PM

Call Hoffpauir Polaris 325-648-3341. You can get a CAMO crew with power steering I was on one this weekend. Ive been around both. If your older and have the extra cash you will love the power steering.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Power steering on ranger - 03/21/13 08:20 PM

I've found my experience to be exactly the opposite. If I was on all smooth roads I don't need power steering. If I was on all smooth roads I wouldn't need a Ranger in the first place. I've had the wheel knocked out of my hand, jam my thumb when I hit large rocks, mud ruts, deep dips/holes on my model that didn't have power steering. The one I have now 2012 model, never knocks the wheel out of my grip on the rough stuff WITH the power steering. My girls would much rather drive it over the one WITHOUT power steering as well.

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I will tell you this from my experience of Mules and Rangers with and without power steering. Mules are much better to drive with it period. Rangers will depend on what you are doing with them and what type of terrain you are driving IME. I have driven older model 2x4 and 4x6 Rangers without PS and they were fine on smooth roads. In tight quarters spraying brush for instance not so good at times. IME in West Texas hunting off the main roads out of my Ranger I will not have power steering. It is to fast reacting when you hit a hole or rock. It will jam your thumbs, hands or wrists if you hit something wrong and not paying attention. I have a friend with PS on his Ranger Crew and he had had a hurt thumbs or wrists each of the last 2 yrs now hunting off road out of his Ranger. I bought my Ranger without power steerings since I use it out West and in South Texas to hunt out of. I also had a couple of dealers tell me the same thing I found out when using it off road in rough terrain. If you are only using it roads then I would get the power steering. With kids it is very fast reacting so that is another consideration if they will be driving the Ranger. When I buy another Ranger I will not get power steering on it either. I averaged around 3+ hours per day on Mules and Rangers over the last 10 yrs using them as a daily work vehicle on ranches.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Power steering on ranger - 03/21/13 08:22 PM

Power steering on my gator is really great, no more fighting the wheel when you are in a rough spot. Not to mention it is just easier to steer all around.
Posted By: donswin

Re: Power steering on ranger - 03/21/13 11:55 PM

I don't have it but I've been in some tight situations where it would have been welcome.

I personally would have trouble spending $1k on it. That would get a real nice rifle or scope or pistol or new blind.

Re: Power steering on ranger - 03/22/13 01:12 AM

Thanks again for all the feedback. Greatly appreciated.
Posted By: BBD84

Re: Power steering on ranger - 03/25/13 03:10 PM

I own one camo PS 800 and wouldnt ttrade it for 2 with out it just IMHO. Exp. when the kids or anyone else is driving it.
Posted By: donswin

Re: Power steering on ranger - 03/25/13 08:35 PM

I just got back from marking some spots on my lease with the GPS.

Navigation was tight and turning was painful.

Get it! This is all about fun. If you want a workout, join the gym.

If I get another Ranger, I won't have to think twice about PS.
Posted By: TRoberts

Re: Power steering on ranger - 04/03/13 08:30 PM

Lots of opinions and experience posts on here. But those mean nothing if you haven't experienced it. Not sure where you're buying it, but I have seen dealerships in my area with small test areas for you to drive the vehicles. IMO you should try each for yourself. Not trying to say anything negative about other posts. Just saying see for yourself.
Posted By: Boomer57

Re: Power steering on ranger - 04/03/13 09:27 PM

I don't have PS on mine. I agree that if you do a lot of tight turning it would be nice, I'm not sure it's $1000 nicer but it's all on the driver.
I put a knob on my steering wheel and it helped a lot.
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Power steering on ranger - 04/05/13 02:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Boomer57
I don't have PS on mine. I agree that if you do a lot of tight turning it would be nice, I'm not sure it's $1000 nicer but it's all on the driver.
I put a knob on my steering wheel and it helped a lot.

You can get after market for less than $500.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum