Texas Hunting Forum

DIY Spray In Liner

Posted By: Eastxhuntr

DIY Spray In Liner - 05/14/12 04:07 PM

Has anyone taken the do-it-yourself route for applying a spray in bedliner? Success? Favorite products? Thinking of doing it to my tacoma.

Posted By: Stoney

Re: DIY Spray In Liner - 05/14/12 04:23 PM

Herculiner or Duraliner works pretty good, or has for me. You can roll it on or they sell a sprayer for it. You can also run it through a texture hopper. Rolling it puts a pretty coarse stipple on it.

This is what Duraliner looks like rolled on. Good luck!

Posted By: BBD84

Re: DIY Spray In Liner - 05/14/12 05:17 PM

i have used herculiner on all my 4x4 toys inside and out throught the years and it worked great if you sand good but its really rough and thin is my only problem with it usually did afew coats on my stuff

Posted By: psycho0819

Re: DIY Spray In Liner - 05/14/12 09:01 PM

I used the Raptor kit, available on Ebay, in the bed of my '71. It works good. it's pretty beat up now, but only in areas where the prep might not have been so good.

Prep is everything!

Posted By: huntnguide83

Re: DIY Spray In Liner - 05/14/12 10:39 PM

I used the dupont one from O'reilly's and the spray gun sucked!!!! I ended up just using the roller which turned out great. I did my whole 74' CJ5 with it. I've also in the past used the herculiner and put a bedliner in my last truck. Just be sure to take your time on prep work and you will be fine.

Posted By: Sprman

Re: DIY Spray In Liner - 05/15/12 01:14 AM

there are a bunch. I know of several people that have used Al's do it yourself kit and had good results. Al's liner

Re: DIY Spray In Liner - 05/15/12 02:40 AM

Yea im sure its all pretty close to the same. And yes I bet if you dont sand well enough it wont stick worth a dang. Think Im gunna get a gallon of the rustoleum flavor at autozone and roll it on. Will post how it goes.

Posted By: Stoney

Re: DIY Spray In Liner - 05/15/12 03:32 AM

Good luck with it. Be sure and get some extra chip brushes for the areas the roller won't reach. Another trick I figured out was to get a can of the spray can too, it helps in those tough areas too.

Posted By: cc4500

Re: DIY Spray In Liner - 05/17/12 05:28 AM

I just did an old 4X6 trailer. I used the herculiner product and i think it came out ALOT better than i expected. i did do a lot of prep by grinding all the old paint off right down to bare metal. then i primed it with spray cans. once the prep was done it only took about an hour to roll the first coat and half that for the second coat. i haven't used the trailer yet so it still looks pretty. it seems tough. i used my knife trying to scrape it away but it held well. hope you have good luck.

Posted By: CatfishJr.

Re: DIY Spray In Liner - 05/17/12 08:51 PM

I used the rustoleum brand spray on, I also found it cheaper at Wal-Mart than at the auto parts store. I didnt have any other sand paper around beside what I used when I retextured my house, so I think it was 100 grit from home depot. I just scuffed the crap out of it, then drove to the car wash and washed my truck with some spray on degreaser and soap. Drove home, by that time it was dry. Masked off the windows, and went to town spraying it on. I did two coats. It turned out great and held up great never flaked off, or chipped, and always looked like new when washed!
Here is a pic right before I sold it!

Posted By: bill oxner

Re: DIY Spray In Liner - 05/17/12 09:01 PM

I wonder how that would work on my 30 year old dinged up fiberglass boat?

Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: DIY Spray In Liner - 05/17/12 09:34 PM

Anyone ever found one of these DIY kits in an olive drab color?

Posted By: huntnguide83

Re: DIY Spray In Liner - 05/17/12 10:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Gumbeaux
Anyone ever found one of these DIY kits in an olive drab color?

I think Al's makes one but you can't paint over just about any brand.

Re: DIY Spray In Liner - 05/18/12 02:07 PM

Holy crap catfish you did your entire truck in that stuff? I bet that was a long prep

Posted By: TGT

Re: DIY Spray In Liner - 05/18/12 02:33 PM

Originally Posted By: CatfishJr.
I used the rustoleum brand spray on, I also found it cheaper at Wal-Mart than at the auto parts store. I didnt have any other sand paper around beside what I used when I retextured my house, so I think it was 100 grit from home depot. I just scuffed the crap out of it, then drove to the car wash and washed my truck with some spray on degreaser and soap. Drove home, by that time it was dry. Masked off the windows, and went to town spraying it on. I did two coats. It turned out great and held up great never flaked off, or chipped, and always looked like new when washed!
Here is a pic right before I sold it!

How many cans did you use???? Wondering about how many it will take to the inside of a long bed?

Tgt

Posted By: CatfishJr.

Re: DIY Spray In Liner - 05/21/12 06:40 PM

I wanna say 12 cans did the entire truck with 2 coats

Posted By: Pointer

Re: DIY Spray In Liner - 05/21/12 06:54 PM

Know one guy who used Herculiner. Did a remarkable job with a roller, but swore he'd never do another one.

Being basically a lazy oaf myself, when professionally done spray in liners can be had for as little as $400, why would you even want to mess with it?

Posted By: SR025

Re: DIY Spray In Liner - 05/25/12 06:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Pointer
Know one guy who used Herculiner. Did a remarkable job with a roller, but swore he'd never do another one.

Being basically a lazy oaf myself, when professionally done spray in liners can be had for as little as $400, why would you even want to mess with it?

That's what I was thinking, I like doing things myself but I could get linex with a warranty for $425.

Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: DIY Spray In Liner - 05/25/12 11:27 AM

Originally Posted By: CatfishJr.
I wanna say 12 cans did the entire truck with 2 coats

That truck looks real good, I think.

Posted By: San Saba Hogman

Re: DIY Spray In Liner - 05/27/12 05:17 PM

Yeah, I don't trust myself to do a good enough job. Paid $250 for a pro job.

Posted By: Wes42

Re: DIY Spray In Liner - 05/27/12 07:39 PM

We coated this jeep about 2 months ago.used the spray on Bedliner and I think it turned out cool. Took about 20 cans for 2 coats if I can remember right.

Posted By: GoldLS1

Re: DIY Spray In Liner - 06/08/12 04:50 AM

Any more info on the cans (brand and color?)

Posted By: Southtexas36

Re: DIY Spray In Liner - 06/08/12 04:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Wes42

We coated this jeep about 2 months ago.used the spray on Bedliner and I think it turned out cool. Took about 20 cans for 2 coats if I can remember right.

Yes, what brand did you use, please share

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum