Texas Hunting Forum

I give up

Posted By: scott1071

I give up - 02/23/11 01:23 PM

I have a 2008 GMC Z71. I was hearing a "clunking" noise when radio is off and going over slightly rough surfaces. Not necessarily when turning or anything. I could just be going straight and on rough pavement in a parking lot or something like that. Don't hear it at speed. I do not feel it in the steering column.

So, took it to the dealership and they said it was coming from the rear end. I told them I was almost certain it was from the front, but they all swore it was the rear and they started replacing parts..... under warranty thankfully.

Well, a new axle, differential and leaf springs later it still has the same noise. They basically gave up. I guess it was costing them too much money.

Anybody have any ideas? I still say it is in the front. Maybe a good suspension drive train guy around Lewisville I should take it to??? It sounds like something is very loose and I cannot find it.

Posted By: duckkilla

Re: I give up - 02/23/11 02:01 PM

Have you checked your CV joints.

Posted By: whby05

Re: I give up - 02/23/11 03:06 PM

bushings? sway bar or shock mounts....ball joints..loose wheel caps..

Posted By: jackcountyhunter

Re: I give up - 02/23/11 04:10 PM

I had the same problem and i found out it was my axle nut was loose. I thought i had a hub barring was shot.

Re: I give up - 02/23/11 06:02 PM

Thank you guys. I wouldn't know a CV joint from a sway bar, but I will find someone who does. Anybody know of a good mechanic around Lewisville?

I will also locate those parts myself with the help of the internet and see if I can locate it.

Posted By: MELackey

Re: I give up - 02/23/11 06:08 PM

my 2001 Tahoe had a similar clunking. It was the steering shaft. Basically the joints in the steering shafts needed to be lubed. Chevy sold the kit for less than $20, and it took about 30 minutes to do the job myself.

Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: I give up - 02/23/11 06:58 PM

Originally Posted By: scott1071
I have a 2008 GMC Z71. I was hearing a "clunking" noise when radio is off and going over slightly rough surfaces. Not necessarily when turning or anything. I could just be going straight and on rough pavement in a parking lot or something like that. Don't hear it at speed. I do not feel it in the steering column.

So, took it to the dealership and they said it was coming from the rear end. I told them I was almost certain it was from the front, but they all swore it was the rear and they started replacing parts..... under warranty thankfully.

Well, a new axle, differential and leaf springs later it still has the same noise. They basically gave up. I guess it was costing them too much money.

Anybody have any ideas? I still say it is in the front. Maybe a good suspension drive train guy around Lewisville I should take it to??? It sounds like something is very loose and I cannot find it.

GM probably cut them off. I cannot believe they got away with doing all that stuff under warranty.

Posted By: BigPig

Re: I give up - 02/23/11 08:40 PM

Originally Posted By: MELackey
my 2001 Tahoe had a similar clunking. It was the steering shaft. Basically the joints in the steering shafts needed to be lubed. Chevy sold the kit for less than $20, and it took about 30 minutes to do the job myself.

X2 what he said, you don't feel it know but you will soon. It been a problem since 2001 in every GM truck no matter the size. Borgesson(SP) I believe makes a complete replacement, if takes about 30 mins to replace and is super quiet.

Posted By: powerstroke

Re: I give up - 02/23/11 09:43 PM

I'm in Richarsdon if ya want to bring it

Re: I give up - 02/24/11 03:06 AM

You're right stump jumper. I think the service boys were pretty much in trouble from GM for all of the unnecessary repairs by the way they were acting.. but I'll talke the new parts!

Posted By: cannon88

Re: I give up - 02/24/11 03:31 PM

Check what others have said, as well as just check your front shocks. With the vehicle parked grin push down on the front end and see if you hear the noise. If you can hear the noise, try to pinpoint its general location, then go from there.

Posted By: CHRIS SINKU

Re: I give up - 02/24/11 05:33 PM

I am at a GM store and GM will replace your intermeadiate shaft if thats what it is. 99% of the time thats what that noise is. GM was just using the "grease kit" to fix it however that was a temporary fix,now they will replace it.If I can help in any way send me a PM

Posted By: onetime

Re: I give up - 02/24/11 11:51 PM

I'm in Old Town Lewisville @ Repairs Unlimited come see me and we can find the problem. Chris Sinku is right the intermediate shaft sounds like a muffled bump.

Posted By: luv2brode

Re: I give up - 02/25/11 12:48 AM

as well as check the shock mounting bolts not uncommon to have one a little loose making noise

Posted By: TXMachinist

Re: I give up - 02/25/11 03:16 AM

Porter Tire on Mill Street. Best front end guys I know. Have used them for 20 years +. 972-436-6469 ask for Bill.

Posted By: gogburn

Re: I give up - 02/25/11 11:17 AM

Originally Posted By: scott1071
I have a 2008 GMC Z71. I was hearing a "clunking" noise when radio is off...

Turn the radio on. confused2

rofl

Posted By: LandPirate

Re: I give up - 02/25/11 02:21 PM

It's the body bushings. My '07 GMC 2500HD was doing the same thing. My dealer replaced all the body bushings that attach the body to the frame and eliminated the issue. It's been two years now and haven't had one re occurrence of the issue.

Re: I give up - 02/26/11 02:59 AM

Thanks for all the input guys. Taking it in Monday

Re: I give up - 03/01/11 02:45 PM

Well, it was the front brake calipers making the noise. Who woulda thought? Boys at Classic GMC in Arlington found it quick.

Posted By: tex_ttu

Re: I give up - 03/03/11 03:23 AM

Scott, What did they replace to correct the problem? I have the same problem on a 2006 GMC. There is a clank in the front end, press the brakes slightly, and it quits. I replaced the caliper bolts thinking that they were worn out, but that was not it, the clank is still there.

JTF

Re: I give up - 03/04/11 02:25 AM

I can't remember Tex, but I will dig out the paperwork in the morning. it was a couple of things. One, the "adhesive" on the pads was not done properly when I had my brakes done a short while back and something else. It's the second thing that I can't remember.

I did have one other issue that was causing a similar noise at low speeds when turning... I haeard a repetitive clunk sound. Stopped when I braked. It was my tires. Basically have not taken good care of them and they are wearing abnormally. Makes them wobble at low speeds.

Re: I give up - 03/04/11 01:16 PM

Tex, I puled my paperwork. The other thing they did was "repair my slide pins". That was the extent of the description.

Posted By: tex_ttu

Re: I give up - 03/11/11 01:47 AM

Scott, Thanks for the leg work. I have replaced the pins, on to the brake pads now.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum