Texas Hunting Forum

Great Buck has arrived

Posted By: Paralax22

Great Buck has arrived - 11/10/21 04:07 AM

This guy has never showed face. Matter of fact this is the biggest we have ever seen on camera. I am heading out tomorrow for a 6.5 hour drive to patiently wait for an opportunity over the next 4 days. He is not eating corn, just coming in every morning and checking the feeder area.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/10/21 04:11 AM

That's a heck of a buck. Good luck to you
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/10/21 04:32 AM

eek2 rifle
Posted By: Jroutdoors

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/10/21 04:47 AM

Good luck
Posted By: JCO

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/10/21 04:50 AM

That one will keep you awake at night. Best of luck.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/10/21 05:19 AM

Good Luck
Posted By: ErikL

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/10/21 11:56 AM

looking forward to ground check pics.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/10/21 12:04 PM

I thought your post title might be a lil' overboard, but no it isn't.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/10/21 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by TexasKC
That's a heck of a buck. Good luck to you

up
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/10/21 12:34 PM

Yep, I’d be happy to make that drive if I knew that opportunity was waiting
Posted By: tailchaser93

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/10/21 12:50 PM

Hell of a buck congrats
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/10/21 01:03 PM

Straight up stud!

If he was coming in to my spot like that and not staying to eat, I'd walk in from a long, LONG ways away and do it 2 hours before daylight!
He is worth the extra effort and I'm betting he is not one of the easy ones to kill!
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/10/21 01:07 PM

Bring it. cheers
Posted By: Capt.JVH

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/10/21 01:18 PM

dang!!
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/10/21 01:23 PM

Drive safely and good luck at seeing him in the daylight.

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/10/21 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Old Rabbit
Drive safely and good luck at seeing him in the daylight.

I'm pretty sure 2 of the 3 pics he posted that buck is there in legal shooting hours.
I've never seen an IR on a camera light up the surrounding country side like that.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/10/21 02:21 PM

Nice buck, good luck!
Posted By: goosebuster

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/10/21 02:32 PM

boy howdy!!
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/10/21 02:32 PM

Great buck!!!!
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/10/21 02:36 PM

Wow. best of luck
Posted By: Satch

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/10/21 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by JCO
That one will keep you awake at night. Best of luck.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/10/21 04:18 PM

That is a dandy. Good Luck. I assume you are just penning feeder off so tight to keep cows from knocking it over.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/10/21 04:29 PM

Thats a darn good looking buck! good luck
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/10/21 04:50 PM

Good luck. Those old boys know where the does hang out and that is at the feeder.
Posted By: Dodge_Rock

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/10/21 05:20 PM

You must be livin' the dream. Break a leg.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/10/21 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS
Straight up stud!

If he was coming in to my spot like that and not staying to eat, I'd walk in from a long, LONG ways away and do it 2 hours before daylight!
He is worth the extra effort and I'm betting he is not one of the easy ones to kill!

X2
Posted By: freerange

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/10/21 06:37 PM

Day or night, he’s always somewhere. That’s why I try to set up where I can see a lot of country.
A worthy one to go after no doubt.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/10/21 07:09 PM

W0W!

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/10/21 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Always ready 2 hunt
That is a dandy. Good Luck. I assume you are just penning feeder off so tight to keep cows from knocking it over.

Yes sir. Cows Get freedom of movement up until two days before general season starts. They get moved into another pasture but while they are roaming they will tear some stuff up.

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/10/21 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by skinnerback
Straight up stud!

X2

The last couple days he has showed up between seven and 730 so I will be in there bye 5 AM.

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/10/21 07:59 PM

Making the drive now and yes it was hard to sleep last night. Will update you guys in the morning.

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/10/21 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Paralax22
Straight up stud!

X2

The last couple days he has showed up between seven and 730 so I will be in there bye 5 AM.

up up up

Park a long ways off and come in quietly as possible......and as scent free as possible. Rub your clothes in one of the brushes you have there good and step in a few fresh piles of cow chit along the way.

Good luck and please post pics on this thread as soon as you lay his big arse down! rifle
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/10/21 08:22 PM

Awesome deer
Posted By: Texican

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/10/21 08:39 PM

WOW.....good luck!
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/10/21 08:57 PM

Is shoot him a couple times just to make sure he doesn't get up.
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/10/21 10:53 PM

Mercy! Get there early and stay late so you lower the chance of pushing him. Good luck!
Posted By: 1955

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/10/21 10:56 PM

Awesome buck ! up
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/11/21 12:00 AM

I waited on one like that for 4yrs, never showed during season, only at night during the summer
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/11/21 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by 4Weight
Good luck. Those old boys know where the does hang out and that is at the feeder.

Yep, often times just come in downwind and 'scent check' them, move on if nothing attracts them.

That's how they get old and mature.

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/11/21 01:47 AM

Straight up stud!

X2

IF you go that early be mindful of your scent. Early morning thermals (cool air taking your scent to the ground and along low lying terrain features) can work against you. Buck may or may not be close by but could easily circle the area first scent checking. I'd be more inclined to slowly 'hunt' my way in at first light.

Best of luck whatever you choose to do. You know the terrain better than us.
Posted By: freerange

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/11/21 02:39 AM

Straight up stud!

X2

up up up

Park a long ways off and come in quietly as possible......and as scent free as possible. Rub your clothes in one of the brushes you have there good and step in a few fresh piles of cow chit along the way.

Good luck and please post pics on this thread as soon as you lay his big arse down! rifle

"Come in quietly"?? Whatever happened to all the road feeder guys(like me) that ring that dinner bell all around before settling in?
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/11/21 02:49 AM

Good luck, hope you get that bruiser.

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/11/21 03:12 AM

Last update before not sleeping and going in early. Wind is set up to blow in just as needed. I will smell him before he smells myself. If it really worked that way…. Either he walks in or he doesn’t. Either I get him or I don’t. Either way, I am sitting the next few days waiting on that opportunity. Thanks to all and I will update after the morning hunt. Sitting as long as it takes.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/11/21 04:08 AM

cheers

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/11/21 05:00 AM

Last update before not sleeping and going in early. Wind is set up to blow in just as needed. I will smell him before he smells myself. If it really worked that way…. Either he walks in or he doesn’t. Either I get him or I don’t. Either way, I am sitting the next few days waiting on that opportunity. Thanks to all and I will update after the morning hunt. Sitting as long as it takes.

He will smell you before you SEE him IF he circles the area before coming in....or if HE also takes advantage of the wind direction to 'scent check' the area before exposing himself. So be on alert to watch ALL directions, not just the direction you think he might come from.

Good to hunt as much as you can, but that buck is there for the Does, not to eat.

So unless the Does are visiting the feed site off and on all day, there isn't much point in you sitting there all day long. You'll just be contaminating the area with your scent.

Hunt the prime times at the feeder site if you are committed to taking that buck only. If there are others you might consider...then sure, hunt all day. You never know what might show.

Best of luck to you. Hunt smart, not just longer. Don't adopt the 'if its mean't to be' it will happen attitude. NO....you have to MAKE it be, with smart old bucks. up

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/11/21 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by freerange

"Come in quietly"?? Whatever happened to all the road feeder guys(like me) that ring that dinner bell all around before settling in?

hahahaha free

Oh yeah, I love the dinner bell and yellow brick road to. But, since he said this old fella isn't staying to eat I think he is coming to the feeder to scent check it for hot does so my move would be the sneak move this time in lieu of ringing the dinner bell down the senderos. grin

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/11/21 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by colt45
I waited on one like that for 4yrs, never showed during season, only at night during the summer

He said this one has been coming in at daylight the last few days so I don't think this buck is one that is unkillable like some are
Posted By: Whammer7

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/11/21 01:50 PM

I hope you catch a break and get him
Posted By: Opening Day

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/11/21 08:10 PM

That’s an awesome buck!
Posted By: DSST_Construction

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/11/21 08:37 PM

Well any updates?

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/11/21 09:26 PM

Morning Update: came in at 5:05 and had 15-20 Cattle bedded down at the feeder. Feeder went off at 6:35 and had a nice shooter 8 come in but big boy did not. Checked cameras after and he was last seen Tuesday. In the blind for evening hunt now. He did not show and had a total of 5 Deer come in because of cattle. Cattle are up north and not here now.

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/11/21 09:39 PM

Good luck Paralax22!!!!

rifle
Posted By: twdjr

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/11/21 11:20 PM

Best of luck!
Posted By: WCS

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/12/21 11:52 AM

Good luck
Posted By: SRPI89

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/12/21 01:16 PM

I check this every morning hoping for the good pictures! Keep after him!

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/12/21 09:07 PM

HAVE HAD NO SERVICE!!!!

Yesterday afternoon update: Driving in at 2:30 to get set up early, seen big boy chasing a doe 1/2 mile from my spot. Figured we still had a small chance of seeing him. He did not come in. Had my nephew with me who has never shot a Deer and since he just turned 8, I put him on an old small rack 8 that is running around. That made my whole trip. Pictures and video coming.

This morning update: Got in at 4:55am and waited patiently. 9 came in and started pushing everything out. Big 8 came in and they locked up a few times. Ultimately the 9 pushed him out and became the dominant for time being. My buddy spotted the big boy roughly 2,000 yards from us on neighbors property pushing a doe/same doe up into the canyon. He is just not going to come in anytime soon. I have been in his shoes before so I know the deal. I was about to shoot this 9 and call it good until he walked off and into the thick stuff. Shortly later the big 8 came in and that 9 came in thick in the neck and they locked up again. I made the decision right then it was over and I decided to take him. Not the biggest but the meanest. I should have let him stay but it is what it is. I’m good with it. Pics and video to come.

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/12/21 09:11 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/12/21 09:15 PM

Gave him the name Captain Hook. Brow tine curls back and has a kicker

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tailchaser93

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/12/21 10:38 PM

Great buck
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/12/21 10:50 PM

Nice buck for sure ! up
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/12/21 11:32 PM

Beautiful
Posted By: LG

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/16/21 03:21 PM

cheers
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/16/21 03:40 PM

Gave him the name Captain Hook. Brow tine curls back and has a kicker

[Linked Image]

Good buck Paralax and really like and appreciate how you portrayed the rifle in your pic. Very safe and good gun handling there.

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/17/21 05:37 PM

Congrats to both you and your nephew!

So, are you done hunting for the big boy this year then?

Man, that is a great deer you killed but I guess I'm a stubborn mule-head cuz if I had a pic of a deer like that big fella and knew he was still around I wouldn't have fresh deer meat yet. lol

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/19/21 06:28 AM

Man, that is a great deer you killed but I guess I'm a stubborn mule-head cuz if I had a pic of a deer like that big fella and knew he was still around I wouldn't have fresh deer meat yet. lol

I am done chasing the big boy. My best friend growing up is after him now. That is a 1 Buck County and I am 6.5 hours away from there. Going back and forth is hard right now with work and little ones at home. I am not done hunting, just done in that county. Still messing with the closer place that has not provided anything of opportunity this year so far.

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/19/21 06:31 AM

Updated Photos since I left. He did not show while I was there but he came in the morning after I left. The day before he was seen chasing a Doe way off from where he is coming back into.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/19/21 12:22 PM

cheers That is a great looking buck. They seem to be rutting a little early in many areas. I had one the was a regular at feeders every day till November 4. That was the last I had seen him till yesterday afternoon a 1pm he showed up at a feeder. They have been chasing does now for over a week and he had moved or was pushed out of his core area. Good luck to you and your buddy cheers

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/19/21 02:03 PM

Right on man

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/19/21 03:33 PM

I am done chasing the big boy. My best friend growing up is after him now. That is a 1 Buck County and I am 6.5 hours away from there. Going back and forth is hard right now with work and little ones at home. I am not done hunting, just done in that county. Still messing with the closer place that has not provided anything of opportunity this year so far.

One in the hand is better than 2 in the bush and you got you a damn nice one!!

up up up
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/19/21 08:01 PM

If I knew my season wasn't over I couldn't pull the trigger knowing a 180" plus Is walking around my place.

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/19/21 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by ChanceHuiet
If I knew my season wasn't over I couldn't pull the trigger knowing a 180" plus Is walking around my place.

I agree 100%. But my season either ended with what I got or the chance of me not getting back up North at all. So as I closed on the Buck I took on that place, it drives my focus at home, with a new job (recently retired), and my new place that is not producing anything as far as shooters go but is 4.5 hours closer to home. It was not the decision I wanted to make AT ALL… But more the decision I needed to make for my family and new job.
Posted By: KYBLUEFAN

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/20/21 12:30 AM

If we had one showed up on camera like that I'd suffer from insomnia. I have a hard enough time sleeping before hunting our little bucks where we hunt.
Posted By: twdjr

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/20/21 01:35 AM

up

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/30/21 03:04 AM

Well my buddy got him yesterday evening. It’s over and I am happy for him!!!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 1955

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/30/21 03:27 AM

Awesome ! Congratulations up
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/30/21 03:37 AM

Looks like a great year on the place, congrats to all.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/30/21 11:48 AM

What a great hunting adventure for all. up

You take your nephew hunting with you and he gets his first deer and its a buck, what a great uncle to take an 8 year old hunting with you while you are pursuing a dream buck and then let him shoot a buck in the area where you are hoping Mr. big buck will show up, that is incredibly generous and you should be nominated for uncle of the year flehan

Recap, you take your nephew hunting and he shoots his first deer its a buck, you had an exciting time chasing a dream buck and ended up with a dandy of a buck, your time ran out chasing the dream buck and as you hoped your buddy got him. I would call that a great season and its not over with yet cheers
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/30/21 12:16 PM

What Stub said! cheers

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/30/21 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by bobcat1
What Stub said! cheers

X3

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 11/30/21 07:12 PM

Thanks Gents. It’s been a good year so far.
Posted By: Texican

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 12/07/21 01:00 AM

Beautiful buck!!!!!!
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 12/07/21 12:33 PM

Very nice buck!
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 12/07/21 02:42 PM

Congrats to all three hunters!
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 12/07/21 03:42 PM

Congrats to all, great deer!
Posted By: Ktexas14

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 12/07/21 04:44 PM

Looks Great! Congratulations to both of you.
Posted By: Birdboy

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 12/07/21 05:11 PM

Awesome!!
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 12/07/21 06:59 PM

Congrats - the buck you did end up taking is a hoss as well - congrats!

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 12/07/21 07:29 PM

Right on

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 12/07/21 09:35 PM

Score on your's or your buddy's yet?

Re: Great Buck has arrived - 12/08/21 03:09 AM

Score on your's or your buddy's yet?

Nothing on mine. My buddy had a tape out on his and the guy told him 164 3/4” and that his deer should have seen another year. I told him get a new look on that score and disregard his comment.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum