Texas Hunting Forum

A few pics from my travels....

Posted By: stxranchman

A few pics from my travels.... - 01/11/21 04:44 PM

Here are a few pics from the past few weeks of travels....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: angus1956

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/11/21 04:51 PM

Pretty deer. Pics 4&5 that's a monster.
Posted By: LG

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/11/21 04:58 PM

up
Posted By: don k

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/11/21 05:02 PM

All I can say is WOW.
Posted By: texfork

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/11/21 05:23 PM

Beautiful pictures of some amazing deer .
Posted By: tlk

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/11/21 05:30 PM

are these from several different ranches or just one? Very nice pics
Posted By: redhaze

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/11/21 05:33 PM

Cool!
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/11/21 06:04 PM

Beautiful!!!!!!!

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/11/21 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by tlk
are these from several different ranches or just one? Very nice pics

Multiple ranches.
Thanks cheers
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/11/21 06:45 PM

"Someone" enjoys a good life. There's a reason.
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/11/21 06:52 PM

Beautiful pictures.
Posted By: HWY72

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/11/21 07:18 PM

Great pics again this year as usual STX!
Posted By: texas_sooner

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/11/21 07:20 PM

Great pics! Thanks for sharing
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/11/21 07:30 PM

No doubt that any of those would be legal in an AR County.
Posted By: JCB

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/11/21 08:36 PM

How old you think the buck in 4&5 is. I have a guess I just want to see how far I am off.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/11/21 08:40 PM

Great shots!
Posted By: dkershen

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/11/21 08:58 PM

Wow. Couple of studs.
Posted By: Stub

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/11/21 09:14 PM

Great pics as usual up

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/11/21 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by JCB
How old you think the buck in 4&5 is. I have a guess I just want to see how far I am off.

3 or maybe 4 but more 3.
Posted By: JCB

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/11/21 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
Originally Posted by JCB

3 or maybe 4 but more 3.

Wow! I kinda see that on the second pic but honestly I missed him by a mile.
Posted By: WestTN_TX

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/11/21 09:26 PM

Excellent! Thanks for sharing.

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/11/21 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by JCB
Originally Posted by JCB

3 or maybe 4 but more 3.

Most people would miss his age by only looking at one thing....look at horns....click.... boom...oops.... to young grin
Here is another pic that shows his body size a little better.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: bucksnbass357

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/11/21 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by angus1956
Pretty deer. Pics 4&5 that's a monster.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/11/21 10:51 PM

Wow is all I can say
Posted By: Big8

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/12/21 12:09 AM

cheers
Posted By: hawk

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/12/21 12:19 AM

Beautiful photography! Thank you for sharing!
Posted By: Fltmedic

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/12/21 01:02 AM

eek2
Amazing bucks and awesome pics!!!
Posted By: Concho

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/12/21 01:03 AM

Wow, Beautiful.
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/12/21 01:04 AM

Great photos of some great animals.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/12/21 01:37 AM

Great shots of some great deer. Thanks for sharing.

Those 2 fighting, both big bucks with big racks, glad they did not get locked up.
Posted By: Master Plumb

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/12/21 01:43 AM

Absolutely Stunning. up
Posted By: jpks1112

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/12/21 04:31 AM

Great photos! What kind of camera were you using?

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/12/21 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by jpks1112

11 yr old Canon 7D. Thanks cheers
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/12/21 04:38 AM

Great pics!
Posted By: kry226

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/12/21 12:30 PM

Great pics, as always. We also have a 7D, but our pics always seem to be washed out. Would love it if you shared some of your settings for the outdoor photography you do!
Posted By: NDN98

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/12/21 12:35 PM

coolpics

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/12/21 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by JCB
Originally Posted by JCB

3 or maybe 4 but more 3.

Most people would miss his age by only looking at one thing....look at horns....click.... boom...oops.... to young grin
Here is another pic that shows his body size a little better.
[Linked Image]

He looks 3 in this picture.

Incredible buck.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/12/21 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by hawk
Beautiful photography! Thank you for sharing!

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/12/21 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by kry226

Great pics, as always. We also have a 7D, but our pics always seem to be washed out. Would love it if you shared some of your settings for the outdoor photography you do!

The setting vary by lighting, location, shooting mode, what I am trying to capture and what the deer are doing. I will shoot in Program Auto Exposure mode, Aperture Priority or Manual mode all depending on what the deer are doing and what I want to capture. In all of them I usually pic the lowest ISO I can get by with to give me the photo I want in the lighting at that moment. I shoot with a lens that is 4.0 and shoot on F4 most of the time, but adjust the aperture and shutter speed with the lighting. If the deer are moving sometime I will use the Program Auto Exposure mode for this and let the camera do the auto adjustments to the ISO I have chosen and the deer moving. If the deer are still and the lighting is good I will go to Manual or Aperture Priority modes to do the settings I like. I am still learning to use the settings and experiment all the time since it is cheap...don't like the photo....hit delete and try again. Taking pics of deer or other wildlife for me means taking lots of pics due to movement by the animal, licking their lips, blinking or closing of eye(s), ears in wrong position, animal not looking directly at the camera lens, etc. I will say that I take photos in the style that suits my like and not someone elses. I like to see all of the points on a deer or him looking at something a deer would normally do and not directly at the camera. I want to see the detail of the rack or the expression in their eyes catching movement or pose more than them looking at the camera. Those are natural poses to me. I also like to see the deer only in focus with the background dark or blurred out...I believe they call it Bokeh. I get that effect with the 500mm 4.0 lens. I do not always use the correct photo terminology since I am self taught and still learning to use the camera/lens correctly.
All the photos were shot with the 500mm and some on Program Auto in cloudy/misty weather, some in Manual mode and one or two in Aperture Priority mode. I shoot a lot of overcast or darker days in Program Auto but sometime in Manual if the day is bright enough. I shoot a lot of still animals in great lighting in Manual mode. My 7D camera is 11 yrs old and the 500 lens is 12 or 13 yrs old now.
#1 was shot at ISO 160, f5 and 1/400 shutter speed.
#2 was shot at ISO 100, f4 and 1/250 shutter speed.
#3 was shot at ISO 250, f4 and 1/80 shutter speed.
#4 was shot at ISO 100, f4 and 1/160 shutter speed.
#5 was shot at ISO 100, f4 and 1/125 shutter speed.
#6 was shot at ISO 200, f5 and 1/400 shutter speed.
#7 was shot at ISO 200, f4 and 1/160 shutter speed.
#8 was shot at ISO 100, f4 and 1/320 shutter speed.
#9 was shot at ISO 500, f4 and 1/160 shutter speed.
10 was shot at ISO 640, f4 and 1/50 shutter speed.
Posted By: freerange

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/12/21 06:46 PM

Stx, thanks for the camera lesson but its all over my head at this point. Im sure others got a lot out of it. I really want to get better at deer/wildlife photography but I know my priorities and right now Im not quite prepared to commit the time to learning.
The really wide huge buck is tremendous.
Thanks for posting and all pics are great.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/12/21 07:18 PM

Thanks for posting!
Posted By: TX TCAT

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/12/21 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by freerange
Stx, thanks for the camera lesson but its all over my head at this point. Im sure others got a lot out of it. I really want to get better at deer/wildlife photography but I know my priorities and right now Im not quite prepared to commit the time to learning.
The really wide huge buck is tremendous.
Thanks for posting and all pics are great.

freerange, here's a good guide for setting shutter speeds. I always set my shutter speed first for what I think the situation calls for, then adjust f-stop and ISO after that.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/12/21 08:33 PM

up I always love seeing your pics. up
Posted By: freerange

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/12/21 11:07 PM

txtcat, thanks for trying to help my poor photo skills. Im just not even ready to take baby steps. Someone showed me basics of ISO and I could kind of do it and it helped but I dont do it enough and I think I forgot. fstop and shutterspeed is like a foreign language and im just not gonna take enough time to learn/remember. When I decide to put time in to learn Im sure a few basics will be easy. Your chart thing would probably be a great first step when I decide to take that step. Thank you.

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/13/21 01:55 PM

The setting vary by lighting, location, shooting mode, what I am trying to capture and what the deer are doing. I will shoot in Program Auto Exposure mode, Aperture Priority or Manual mode all depending on what the deer are doing and what I want to capture. In all of them I usually pic the lowest ISO I can get by with to give me the photo I want in the lighting at that moment. I shoot with a lens that is 4.0 and shoot on F4 most of the time, but adjust the aperture and shutter speed with the lighting. If the deer are moving sometime I will use the Program Auto Exposure mode for this and let the camera do the auto adjustments to the ISO I have chosen and the deer moving. If the deer are still and the lighting is good I will go to Manual or Aperture Priority modes to do the settings I like. I am still learning to use the settings and experiment all the time since it is cheap...don't like the photo....hit delete and try again. Taking pics of deer or other wildlife for me means taking lots of pics due to movement by the animal, licking their lips, blinking or closing of eye(s), ears in wrong position, animal not looking directly at the camera lens, etc. I will say that I take photos in the style that suits my like and not someone elses. I like to see all of the points on a deer or him looking at something a deer would normally do and not directly at the camera. I want to see the detail of the rack or the expression in their eyes catching movement or pose more than them looking at the camera. Those are natural poses to me. I also like to see the deer only in focus with the background dark or blurred out...I believe they call it Bokeh. I get that effect with the 500mm 4.0 lens. I do not always use the correct photo terminology since I am self taught and still learning to use the camera/lens correctly.
All the photos were shot with the 500mm and some on Program Auto in cloudy/misty weather, some in Manual mode and one or two in Aperture Priority mode. I shoot a lot of overcast or darker days in Program Auto but sometime in Manual if the day is bright enough. I shoot a lot of still animals in great lighting in Manual mode. My 7D camera is 11 yrs old and the 500 lens is 12 or 13 yrs old now.

WTH....how in hell do you remember all this?

I can't even remember what I ate for dinner last night!

eek2

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/13/21 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS

WTH....how in hell do you remember all this?

I can't even remember what I ate for dinner last night!

eek2

Right click with a mouse on the photo....select properties, right click again and the embedded data is there for that one photo. When I view photos for editing on my computer some of the camera information is already on the screen by the photo. There is no way I could remember that much data on 100,000's of photos.
Posted By: J. Richard

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/13/21 10:28 PM

Great background light in the pictures , thanks for sharing
Posted By: TCM3

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/14/21 12:10 AM

up
Posted By: kry226

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/14/21 12:30 AM

Once again: flehan
Posted By: mfreeman

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/17/21 04:11 AM

Wow!!
Posted By: TCM3

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/17/21 06:01 AM

A picture is worth a thousand words.
Stxranchman's pictures are worth way more.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/17/21 02:59 PM

Thanks for sharing! Great photos.

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/17/21 04:25 PM

Thanks again everyone cheers
Posted By: Djlaw1965

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/19/21 06:35 PM

Very nice! coolpics
Posted By: Speny713

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/20/21 02:34 PM

Awesome collection of photos!

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/20/21 03:07 PM

cheers Thanks everyone.
Posted By: Screwdriver

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/21/21 10:03 PM

Great photos. You have professional level photography skills.

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/22/21 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Screwdriver

Thanks but I ain't that good yet. cheers
Posted By: Walkabout

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/22/21 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Screwdriver

Thanks but I ain't that good yet. cheers

Then pretty dang close. One of your buck pics is my screen pic at work. Very nice pics.
Posted By: Hirogen

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/22/21 11:56 PM

Great captures!
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/23/21 12:20 PM

Someone is going to have to adjust their ball cap.
Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: A few pics from my travels.... - 01/23/21 02:01 PM

Great job with the camera. Really impressive game also. Can't be bet. Thanks for sharing.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum