Texas Hunting Forum

Doesn't meet AR's

Posted By: MELackey

Doesn't meet AR's - 01/04/19 03:18 PM

One of the benefits of putting in the effort to go MLD, aside from the extended hunting season, is being able to be exempt from AR's so you can take these guys out.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: D Rogers

Re: Doesn't meet AR's - 01/04/19 03:20 PM

Whilst AR has done wonderful things for our area of Tx, especially for public hunting, they do have their downfalls. Luckily a large ranch that borders our properties is mld so they handle the culling for us!

Re: Doesn't meet AR's - 01/04/19 03:27 PM

I should be clear that before we went MLD 5 or 6 years ago, we liked the results we were seeing from AR's, but there was always that one goofy buck running does that you couldn't do anything about. This guy was pestering 4 small does (late rut for yearling does?) and my father-in-law put a stop to that foolishness.
Posted By: Old Shakie

Re: Doesn't meet AR's - 01/04/19 03:32 PM

AR is a great thing for deer and hunters alike but bucks like this need to go. Maybe an exemption on bucks like these is something that TPWD should consider.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Doesn't meet AR's - 01/04/19 03:46 PM

That's a crazy looking one.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Doesn't meet AR's - 01/06/19 05:28 PM

Good to get that fellow out of the gene pool. Still a pretty cool deer.
Posted By: texasdude28

Re: Doesn't meet AR's - 01/06/19 11:48 PM

Good move and should improve herd genetics
Posted By: bucksnbass357

Re: Doesn't meet AR's - 01/07/19 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Old Shakie
AR is a great thing for deer and hunters alike but bucks like this need to go. Maybe an exemption on bucks like these is something that TPWD should consider.

Agreed. Great buck to take out of the gene pool
Posted By: twdjr

Re: Doesn't meet AR's - 01/07/19 01:42 AM

Looks like a good one to be removed!
Posted By: djs303

Re: Doesn't meet AR's - 01/07/19 03:26 AM

AR has definitely improved the bucks in my county. That being said i have a few bucks that will never meet AR and are the bottom end with inferior genetics but unfortunately I am not MLD. I wish they would waive AR rules for archery and youth seasons so some of the inferior antlered bucks could be removed.
Posted By: hunting_guy

Re: Doesn't meet AR's - 01/07/19 05:05 PM

How old was that deer, just curious?
Posted By: Sirrah243

Re: Doesn't meet AR's - 01/07/19 10:36 PM

Glad you are rid of that one. I have seen several bucks on my home place in North Parker County that will not make AR, some old some young. High racks seem to be the gene pool there. I don't know the answer as to what to do about it.

Re: Doesn't meet AR's - 01/07/19 10:50 PM

He was estimated at 3 yrs old
Posted By: Stub

Re: Doesn't meet AR's - 01/07/19 11:36 PM

cheers
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Doesn't meet AR's - 01/07/19 11:37 PM

That was one ugly buck! He should still eat good though!
Posted By: jim1961

Re: Doesn't meet AR's - 01/08/19 02:44 PM

cheers
Posted By: decook

Re: Doesn't meet AR's - 01/08/19 10:10 PM

Agreed. A warden could issue a special tag to be used with your buck tag. It could be issued by a game cam or other pic.
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Doesn't meet AR's - 01/09/19 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Erny
Good to get that fellow out of the gene pool. Still a pretty cool deer.

up

Re: Doesn't meet AR's - 01/09/19 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by decook
Agreed. A warden could issue a special tag to be used with your buck tag. It could be issued by a game cam or other pic.

I stopped using game cameras several years ago. Honestly I found that they took the enjoyment from my hunt. I would see that one incredible buck and hunt hard for him, passing on other extremely nice bucks that were better than anything I had ever killed, but not as nice as the one in the picture. Of course, the only pics were at 1am, not in the daylight.

Now, I'm blissfully ignorant of every deer on the place that hasn't stepped out in front of me, then when one comes out that I think is really nice, I have nothing to compare him to and I'm left completely satisfied after pulling the trigger. I find that MUCH more enjoyable.

Thankfuly, the MLD eliminates the need for the "mother may I" with the warden
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Doesn't meet AR's - 01/09/19 03:48 PM

A warden is not going to tell you to break the law..... use your own judgement shoot what you can afford
Posted By: ddmm

Re: Doesn't meet AR's - 01/09/19 06:23 PM

not all reg's are 100% perfect....but they help the majority of the population. There is usually an exception to every rule.
Posted By: JCO

Re: Doesn't meet AR's - 01/10/19 12:48 PM

I listened to a TPW game biologist on a radio show claim they would never issue exemption permits for individual deer because of the resources it would tie up. Imagine all the game cam photos they would receive of 12 1/4 “ deer that someone would want an exemption for. His only solution was MLD. Made sense once I heard him out. I’m beleive it was on a Lone Star Outdoors Podcast.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Doesn't meet AR's - 01/10/19 01:11 PM

It's called shoot em and kick em in a bush. Minus straps..
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: Doesn't meet AR's - 01/17/19 09:44 PM

is there any drawbacks to MLD?

Re: Doesn't meet AR's - 01/18/19 09:12 PM

only "drawback" we see is trying to kill all of the deer that the biologist assigned tags for this year. At some point you get tired of cleaning deer and your freezer is full.
Posted By: SenkoSamurai

Re: Doesn't meet AR's - 01/22/19 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by snake oil

It's called shoot em and kick em in a bush. Minus straps..

Not donate to Hunters for the Hungry?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum