Texas Hunting Forum

Cull bucks

Posted By: lmd59

Cull bucks - 12/02/15 07:07 PM

My son and I had a great time on a friend's place around Albany. We were permitted to shoot culls, but not the many trophies that we saw.
Posted By: NMGW

Re: Cull bucks - 12/02/15 07:13 PM

Those are really nice for culls especially yours. up
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Cull bucks - 12/02/15 07:14 PM

food
Posted By: Pig Drone

Re: Cull bucks - 12/02/15 08:28 PM

Wish I could cull some bucks that size! Nice ones! up
Posted By: tdecker22

Re: Cull bucks - 12/02/15 08:42 PM

Originally Posted By: BenBob
food
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Cull bucks - 12/02/15 09:02 PM

Nice
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Cull bucks - 12/02/15 09:04 PM

Congrats!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Cull bucks - 12/02/15 10:19 PM

Congrats.
Posted By: DustyWyoming

Re: Cull bucks - 12/02/15 10:28 PM

Nice
Posted By: TAT

Re: Cull bucks - 12/02/15 10:29 PM

Look like trophys to me. Congrats.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Cull bucks - 12/03/15 12:41 AM

Great times hunting with your son. Nice bucks. Congrats. cheers
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Cull bucks - 12/03/15 12:46 AM

Great deer, reaffirms my hate for the word cull!!

Great family and smiles say it all
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Cull bucks - 12/03/15 02:26 AM

Congrats cheers
I need friends like yours.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Cull bucks - 12/03/15 02:33 AM

Originally Posted By: NMGW
Those are really nice for culls especially yours. up
Posted By: tex70

Re: Cull bucks - 12/03/15 04:01 AM

up
Posted By: lmd59

Re: Cull bucks - 12/03/15 03:37 PM

Thanks for the comments guys. I called them culls because that's what they were called on this particular ranch. My son's deer was actually a better deer than mine. The picture doesn't do it justice and the background makes the antlers kind of blend in. It was his best deer to date and he was thrilled to get it. On this ranch, we have to hunt with a guide if we are to shoot a buck. There is no cost for the guide as they work for the landowner who allows us to hunt. My son sat the first morning in a blind with the guide and then they decided to rattle for a while. Two rattles of the horns and his deer came running over the ridge right toward them. The guide told him that was the deer they were looking for and take it as soon as it stops. It continued jogging toward them until it was 20 yards away and then turned broadside and began to walk. My son took him at 20 yards and said it would have come much closer if he didn't shoot him. It was his first great experience with rattling and he was excited. I sat in the same spot for two straight days looking for my buck. The guide asked if I wanted to change spots and I asked him where I had the best chance of seeing this deer and he said the same spot we've been sitting. We got there about 3:00 and I told the guide my deer was coming in at 4:45. Although we had seen deer in the 120's -150's at this spot, we didn't see a deer that I had permission to shoot. Right around 4:45 there was a huge 8 point under the feeder and he got super alert - my deer came across a ridge and circled the feeder. The guide said that's your deer. I was afraid the big 8 point was going to keep my deer from coming in closer, but it soon turned out that my deer was the more dominant deer and he walked right in and the big 8 point stepped aside. I dropped him right there. It is my biggest Texas deer (about 10 years ago I shot a big Kansas deer). We are so fortunate that the landowner has such a kind heart to allow my son and me to hunt his properties every year.
Posted By: cb66

Re: Cull bucks - 12/03/15 04:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Great times hunting with your son. Nice bucks. Congrats. cheers

CB
Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: Cull bucks - 12/03/15 04:29 PM

cheers Neat story too!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum