Re: Snake ID help...Good Snake now - 11/20/15 12:35 AM

Originally Posted By: jetdad
He was your local pest controller.

Yep, looks like a baby rat, or bull snake
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Snake ID help...Good Snake now - 11/20/15 12:39 AM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Prob a chicken snake or something doesn't look poisonous

That has JUST enough resemblance to a Cooperhead to give me the High Step roflmao
Posted By: splash556

Re: Snake ID help...Good Snake now - 11/20/15 01:31 AM

I'm gonna go with Rat snake. Non venomous but can be ornery when handled.
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: Snake ID help...Good Snake now - 11/20/15 01:35 AM

Either Rat snake or possibly a Glossy snake.
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Snake ID help...Good Snake now - 11/20/15 01:40 AM

Not the kind to kill. When I learned to differentiate, there were no pesky rodents. My wife used to shoot/hack/kill all snakes, but she is learning to give some a pass.

It really is worthwhile to learn the difference. Two of my Grandkids can do it now because I take the time to teach them about all kinds of wildlife.

Marc
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Snake ID help...Good Snake now - 11/20/15 02:04 AM

That is a juvenile Prairie King Snake, very beneficial snake. In Texas, most are born in August and September, that one could be from a 'late' group. Very common snake, often mistaken for a Copperhead...by jittery folks. wink

They range in color from the brownish markings of your snake to a gray color (which then gets them killed...for a pygmy rattler) sigh........!

Seriously, I realize the average person doesn't "know their snakes', but the vast majority are harmless.

Thanks for sharing,

Flint.

Edit: Going to back up on the Prairie King and go with Juvenile Rat Snake in this instance (differences are subtle) but that specimen has a little too much head for a prairie king and also the marking (V) on the head is pointed the wrong direction. Would like to see the stripe through the eye...to be certain. Good snake in any case.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Snake ID help...Good Snake now - 11/20/15 02:09 AM

edit duplicate
Posted By: TRHODES

Re: Snake ID help...Good Snake now - 11/20/15 02:50 AM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB

That has JUST enough resemblance to a Cooperhead to give me the High Step roflmao

What he said !!
Posted By: RangerRick

Re: Snake ID help...Good Snake now - 11/20/15 02:53 AM

Rat snake see about dozen pics of these on various hunting webs all year long! These snakes are our on our side!
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: Snake ID help...Good Snake now - 11/20/15 05:46 AM

Dead snake.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Snake ID help...Good Snake now - 11/20/15 06:18 AM

That's a baby Texas Rat Snake, not aggressive and non-poisonous. Would have been good to have around. I used to have one as a pet.
Posted By: Txcatman1

Re: Snake ID help...Good Snake now - 11/20/15 07:07 AM

Yup rat snake, should've let that one live, caught one in my front yard bout a month ago, walked it down the street a little bit and let it go.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Snake ID help...Good Snake now - 11/20/15 12:47 PM

Originally Posted By: ETexas Hunter
He WAS in my driveway, small fella.
wasn't a terrorist, should have given it a pass
Posted By: TexasFJ

Re: Snake ID help...Good Snake now - 11/20/15 12:54 PM

Had two a little bigger then that on my back porch. After multiple attempts they kept showing up there and since we have a doggie door had to permanently dispose of them. Hated to do it. One dropped one me one day moving some stuff on the porch.

I'm good w snakes. Had a couple as pets in my classroom when I taught science. They were really good at keeping whiney teachers out of my room.

That one looks like my corn snake I had which is a close cousin to the rat snake. Good to have around.
Posted By: ETexas Hunter

Re: Snake ID help...Good Snake now - 11/20/15 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB

this is why it got the boot
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Snake ID help...Good Snake now - 11/20/15 04:38 PM

Rat snake.. unless you have chickens, no reason to kill him!
Posted By: texasspazzman

Re: Snake ID help...Good Snake now - 11/20/15 07:09 PM

You just boosted your mouse population. roflmao
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Snake ID help...Good Snake now - 11/21/15 04:21 PM

Originally Posted By: flintknapper
That is a juvenile Prairie King Snake, very beneficial snake. In Texas, most are born in August and September, that one could be from a 'late' group. Very common snake, often mistaken for a Copperhead...by jittery folks. wink

They range in color from the brownish markings of your snake to a gray color (which then gets them killed...for a pygmy rattler) sigh........!

Seriously, I realize the average person doesn't "know their snakes', but the vast majority are harmless.

Thanks for sharing,

Flint.

Edit: Going to back up on the Prairie King and go with Juvenile Rat Snake in this instance (differences are subtle) but that specimen has a little too much head for a prairie king and also the marking (V) on the head is pointed the wrong direction. Would like to see the stripe through the eye...to be certain. Good snake in any case.

Well said.....all snakes are "good"....and only a few can actually harm you......
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Snake ID help...Good Snake now - 11/21/15 04:24 PM

young king or a hognose
Posted By: Elliot

Re: Snake ID help...Good Snake now - 11/21/15 04:32 PM

It is a Texas Rat(bull) snake. If yall use facebook, join this group- https://www.facebook.com/groups/whatsnakeisthis/. It pays to learn your snakes. Most snakes are good to have around.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Snake ID help...Good Snake now - 11/23/15 12:59 AM

The Texas Rat Snake has and always will be an egg sucking predator for the quail population. I like quail more than snakes so I happily kill everyone of them I see. They will empty a nest of all the eggs as fast they can.
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Snake ID help...Good Snake now - 11/23/15 01:53 AM

My guess is Rat Snake. On another note I came across a small rattler Saturday night on the cliche road. Temp was dropping to 30 within 4 hours. My bet he didnt find the den in time.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum