coyote trapping pics

Posted By: bdotson

coyote trapping pics - 02/03/15 01:22 AM

Posted By: billyhunt

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/03/15 01:25 AM

Dam, good trapping up
Posted By: Stub

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/03/15 01:26 AM

Good catches on the Yotes, have you ever caught something you did Not want to like a deer or ?

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/03/15 01:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Stub
Good catches on the Yotes, have you ever caught something you did Not want to like a deer or ?

no deer but have caught skunk possums and coons.

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/03/15 01:47 AM

I trapped a while back, and yotes were like the IT thing to trap, so to me you got it going on!!!!
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/03/15 01:47 AM

cheers
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/03/15 02:04 AM

Originally Posted By: billyhunt
Dam, good trapping up

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/03/15 02:15 AM

After we sold our cows in 2011 we let our coyote problem get out of hand. I can see a change in the deer herd. I feel it is related to the number of coyotes. I know they have killed some deer on our place. I felt it was time to try and get the numbers back under control. So
Posted By: KCH

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/03/15 02:19 AM

Nice predator control, impressive! I am going to attempt this shortly on my little place...

What kind of traps, technique's, etc? I'm a greenhorn so i'm looking for any and all advice...u can pm me if easier...
Posted By: Buckfvr

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/03/15 02:19 AM

up
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/03/15 02:25 AM

Cool pics!!!

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/03/15 02:25 AM

Originally Posted By: KCH
Nice predator control, impressive! I am going to attempt this shortly on my little place...

What kind of traps, technique's, etc? I'm a greenhorn so i'm looking for any and all advice...u can pm me if easier...

There are three of us doing this Me, My son, And My Dad. It is a lot of fun and is a good practice for the deer herd as well. The traps we use are the mb550s I like to use 18"stakes on them. I cant tell you how important it is to boil your traps and keep them clean. A coyote can smell very good. I like to use a trench set as well as trail sets. If you have gophers and we do, trap them and use them for bait. Hope this helps let me know if I can help Buddy
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/03/15 02:27 AM

Great pics, even greater work! up cheers

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/03/15 02:29 AM

bdotson, have you ever used a bale of hay with a skunk under it? Know it sounds crazy.

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/03/15 02:30 AM

Originally Posted By: billyhunt
bdotson, have you ever used a bale of hay with a skunk under it? Know it sounds crazy.

no have not
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/03/15 02:36 AM

Great pics.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/03/15 02:43 AM

Good pics and advice.
Posted By: pdotson

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/03/15 06:11 AM

Most other baits and lures came from Minnesota trapline products. They've got some nasty smellin stuff. My best advice is do a lot of research and get info from a lot of different people. Try different things and figure out what works best for you. The biggest thing is patience. Make good sets, try to keep your smell to a minimum, and patience. It's addicting. One of us is on the line checking and reworking them every day. Hopefully by the end of the week we can add some more

Btw billy we have a lure with ground up skunk glands in it, along with other stuff. It's pretty stout stuff. We've connected a few times with it. But never tried a hay set
Posted By: Western

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/03/15 11:26 AM

Nice up Wish I had had a camera when I was trapping, cell phones would work great for that now too.
Posted By: okbowhunter

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/03/15 11:33 AM

Good job trapping I haven't trapped in years but would love to get back into it.
Posted By: DustyWyoming

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/03/15 07:41 PM

Good trapping
Posted By: TrackQuack

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/03/15 11:51 PM

Do you not feel bad for trapping them? Also what do you do with them once you kill them?

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/04/15 12:13 AM

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/04/15 12:13 AM

^^^^What???^^^^Have you ever seen what they can do deer, and if you or anybody you know that have cats, they LOVE those little felines. So whats your question??

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/04/15 12:34 AM

Originally Posted By: TrackQuack
Do you not feel bad for trapping them? Also what do you do with them once you kill them?
No I do not feel bad at all in fact I love to catch and kill them. I feel much worse when shooting a deer I love deer and watching them. I hate coyotes because they kill the deer. I might not be right but that's how I feel. I sure hope I have one or better two in the traps tomorrow. What do I do with them? Well I hang them on my fence so neighbors can see I am doing my part to control predictors. I doubt very seriously you will change my mind and therefore I will not debate this issue. I hope this answered your questions.

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/04/15 12:45 AM

upbdotson, you can not explain such things to people that have watched way tooo many Disney movies!!!
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/04/15 01:00 AM

I haven't done that since I was in Junior high and high school, kinda getting the urge now. Good pics!
Posted By: breadman

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/04/15 01:04 AM

hey TRACKQUACK let one snatch your little lap mutt off its leash and eat it in front of you ! then mabey you'll get it !!! definition of a new conservative a liberal that got mugged !!!
Posted By: TGalyon1

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/04/15 01:18 AM

after you boil ( clean ) your trap do you die them? I use to suplment my income traping
Posted By: TrackQuack

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/04/15 01:32 AM

Killing something just to control the population of a predator to create more problems is funny to me. how much damage do coyotes do a year, the over population of deer causes 4billion in damages and 200 lives in the U.S. annually. I don't think there is a clean cut line but a picture of a terrified critter with his foot crushed doesn't give me jollies, guess I'm just a liberal.
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/04/15 01:38 AM

Killing something just to control the population of a predator to create more problems is funny to me. how much damage do coyotes do a year, the over population of deer causes 4billion in damages and 200 lives in the U.S. annually. I don't think there is a clean cut line but a picture of a terrified critter with his foot crushed doesn't give me jollies, guess I'm just a liberal.

and you probably should not be in a Hunting Forum where people talk about shooting killing animals

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/04/15 01:46 AM

TrackQuack, I guess with that handle, you probably don't HUNT ducks? Maybe my bad, but just guessing. I have a duck pond, love to watch them swim around with there ducklings, until the yotes come along and eat as many as they can. Just kidding Quack, trying to make a point.

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/04/15 02:14 AM

yep you sound like a liberal !! so the question is , why are you on a HUNTING forum ?? just to bash what we do ?? why aren't you on one of those gay, bunny loving, tree hugging LIBERAL forum with your on kind ????
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/04/15 04:27 AM

Dotson, in a few of those pics the ground around the trap looks tore up. Is that from them scrambling once they've been caught, or is that part of your process of selecting, or creating, a spot to set the trap? Whatever you're doing, it's working.

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/04/15 05:15 AM

Here is before and after a tench set we did. The piece of wood was an old dead pine stump that she knocked over

Posted By: Txcatman1

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/04/15 06:10 AM

Originally Posted By: bdotson
No I do not feel bad at all in fact I love to catch and kill them. I feel much worse when shooting a deer I love deer and watching them. I hate coyotes because they kill the deer. I might not be right but that's how I feel. I sure hope I have one or better two in the traps tomorrow. What do I do with them? Well I hang them on my fence so neighbors can see I am doing my part to control predictors. I doubt very seriously you will change my mind and therefore I will not debate this issue. I hope this answered your questions.

Lol. MERICA!!
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/04/15 12:09 PM

Coyotes need to be controlled like any other wild animal population that procreate successfully. This method is much more efficient than hunting. If this bothers you you might want to check out videos of coyotes killing a deer. It's usually a slow and agonizing death.

Nice job Bdotson. up

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/04/15 12:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Txcatman1

Lol. MERICA!!

Explain yourself please I dont understand what your saying
Posted By: tdecker22

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/04/15 02:22 PM

Originally Posted By: dlrz71
Cool pics!!!
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/04/15 03:08 PM

Keep up the GREAT work bdotson up

I wish I had your talent with trapping those POS animals flehan

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/04/15 03:59 PM

and it was a good day. Another one bites the dust!!!!!!!

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/04/15 04:49 PM

He wanted to be mean
Posted By: eagle 2

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/04/15 05:15 PM

Those are some big yotes, are they relatively big? Or is it the picture making them look that way.

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/04/15 05:18 PM

some of them are really big. Most are adv size as you can see we let the problem get WAY out of hand before acting on it. I need to catch as many as possiable before the fawns are born.

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/04/15 05:26 PM

If this is in your area, makes sense the terrain out there can hold a lot of coyotes, I never would have thought it, but years ago I hunted in Anderson county, would get out in the woods real early and you would hear tons of coyotes howling. Good for you, keep knocking em down.
Posted By: 7ARanch

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/04/15 07:55 PM

Great work. I need to learn to do it. We can have 3-4 packs yowling in the evening lots of times. My challenge is not being out there enough to do it regularly, that and I don't know what I'm doing. Of course that seldom stops me from trying. LOL

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/04/15 08:26 PM

Thats a problem if your not there. I live here so its no problem for me. It is easy to learn. There are other ways than leg hold when you cant be there everyday. wink
Posted By: daniel1381

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/05/15 01:53 AM

Good job !!! Keep posting pics dont worry about the haters
Posted By: indianapigsticker

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/05/15 05:22 PM

Exactly up
Posted By: FamousAmos

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/05/15 05:52 PM

I'm with you, TrackQuack, and there is nothing liberal about me. I found a trap on our deer lease with a deer leg still in it. I have no problem whatsoever with hunting predators. The trapping part is just not something I care for.
Posted By: passthru

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/05/15 05:53 PM

Kill 'em all.
Posted By: 5H Homes

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/05/15 06:06 PM

ol yote's won't get any sympathy from me. we have caught over 300 in the last 4 years around the perimeter of our 1300 acre high fenced place and have not slowed down. there is no such thing as "population control." you'll never catch enough!

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/05/15 06:32 PM

Originally Posted By: DropTine25
ol yote's won't get any sympathy from me. we have caught over 300 in the last 4 years around the perimeter of our 1300 acre high fenced place and have not slowed down. there is no such thing as "population control." you'll never catch enough!
My son Preston was telling me about your coyote problems. I think he is friends with Jordan?

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/05/15 07:03 PM

First, it looks as though he is into the duck hunting more than anything. And having trapped in my younger years I can say it can be tough to see some animals in a trap. Fox used to bother me as they would cry sometimes when you would approach. Sound like a crying puppy. Then I would whack them and skin them and enjoy the profits. But calling TQ names or being insulting isn't an answer. Best if you relate it to the damage skunks, coons and other predators do to the nesting grounds in the pot hole country. How many more ducks could there be if those predators were controlled there. However, the snow geese are over populated so maybe they need to have more predators for them. I still say kill all coyotes. No matter where they are.
Posted By: Satch

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/05/15 07:23 PM

up

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/06/15 09:20 PM

Originally Posted By: FamousAmos

I'm with you, TrackQuack, and there is nothing liberal about me. I found a trap on our deer lease with a deer leg still in it. I have no problem whatsoever with hunting predators. The trapping part is just not something I care for.

ok but you cant let the trappers that dont do it right give them a bad name. Look at it this way...coyotes will eat a deer alive and you think a coyote with a trapped leg is something you dont "care for"? If done right the animal will be removed the next day. I guess we have our own opinions but i dont think its right for some of you to condemn trappers when the are proudly showing the pictures of their catches.
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/06/15 11:08 PM

Guys I've got to respond to this thread. When I was a kid I grew up in West Texas on the middle Concho River and my brother and I used to run a trap line every winter. We would trap over a hundred coons a year as well as 25+ Bobcat and Coyote. I can't even imagine how many grey fox along with a few Red Fox would fall to our traps every winter.
That being said I don't like the photos of animals in traps. I know it sounds very hypocritical but I must speak the truth. This is coming from a guy who still has over a hundred different size Victor traps!
Viewing an animal that has struggled for hours in a trap and is fixing to be shot is something that I just don't want to see. I don't blame you folks for posting or enjoying the photos because I likely would have done the same thing in my younger days. I'm a lifelong hunter, wildlife photographer, and a conservationist. Just understand that a person can be an animal lover and a hunter at the same time without being labeled a liberal (I'm a Tea Party hard core conservative). God Bless America and thank God for the freedoms we enjoy. R.B. Baker

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/06/15 11:41 PM

The beautiful thing about this thread is
A it's posted under photos meaning there will be pictures
B is says coyote trapping meaning there will be coyotes in traps
If you don't want too see that why did you click on this thread
C dont click back on this thread again if you don't want yo see more!!!
D well there ain't no d but I got to To set some more traps for these Girl Scouts to whine about

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/07/15 12:18 AM

I don't mind seeing them. Especially the yotes. Kill em all.

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/07/15 12:42 AM

This message is for bdotson. You can act like a badass all you want but understand that I've likely trapped more Coyotes than you whole family. Calling me a Girl Scout or anyone else on this thread is a punk move at best. Grow up son and understand that all post on any social media comes with consequences. Keep trapping and reducing the predators in your area ( that's a good thing) but try and understand (I really doubt you will) that posting photos of animals struggling for their lives does no good for hunters........ Ever. I've posted more wildlife photos than you can imagine so unlike you I'm not talking out of my [censored]. Baker

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/07/15 01:07 AM

Oh yea well I caught 1000 in one night and that was all in one trap. And I was using bologna for bait. And and my dogs bigger than your dog. Sounds like a bunch of kids Grow up man if ya don't like what I post don't look
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/07/15 01:12 AM

popcorn

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/07/15 01:13 AM

Exactly what I expected in response from a punk! Grow up son!

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/07/15 05:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Txcatman1

Lol. MERICA!!

Explain yourself please I dont understand what your saying

What that means is hell yah! Do what you do and be proud of it it just made me laugh the way you replied like I do what I want I'll string um up all down the fence if I want to. Don't worry bud it's a good thing, hence MERICA! As in America like free world do what I want, get it

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/07/15 05:25 AM

The beautiful thing about this thread is
A it's posted under photos meaning there will be pictures
B is says coyote trapping meaning there will be coyotes in traps
If you don't want too see that why did you click on this thread
C dont click back on this thread again if you don't want yo see more!!!
D well there ain't no d but I got to To set some more traps for these Girl Scouts to whine about

Lol once again MERICA!! Keep trappin em nothing wrong with a quick pic, just don't make a movie about it lol but as I've found out over the years there will be people that don't enjoy the pics of an animal in a trap so I keep those for personal stuff but to each is his own I've learned that all it does is eventually cause drama so I stick to tailgate pics and finished fur photos for social media

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/09/15 03:27 AM

also great photo skills !!! should be in preaditor mag.

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/09/15 06:14 AM

All iphone pics. No fancy camera here. Thanks!

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/09/15 04:00 PM

good way to start the week

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/09/15 04:09 PM

pretty yote bdotson! thats a beautiful pic! up also elkhunter needs to leave the thread if he doesnt enjoy it. This is ridiculous man dont click on this thread if you dont want to see it. People just really bother me sometimes
Posted By: wtjim

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/09/15 04:16 PM

To the haters and nose looker downers...we, hunters, are all on the same side. Stop hating what someone else does that is perfectly legal and conservation necessary. Just because you don't like it or would "never" do it stop passing judgement. What part of "same team" do y'all not understand?

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/09/15 04:24 PM

We caught a little pig uh a coyote trap top! Lol

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/09/15 09:44 PM

good way to start the week

It is amazing the variation amongst the species, some biologists say the Mexican Gray Wolf has interbred with the coyote in some regions along the border, I know back home we had a distinct Coydog pack running around the woods for years, I see this photo , makes me think a little more than just coyote in that picture, just an opinion though, not an expert

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/10/15 02:02 AM

yep, called in two last year that had black tounges and silver/black fur .pretty yotes though.
Posted By: Mr. Clean

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/11/15 01:52 PM

Kill'em all. Good stuff.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/11/15 02:01 PM

Love the trapping photos! I ran a line a few years ago. Keep them coming!

If you don't like seeing coyotes in a trap don't open the "coyote trapping pics" thread!!
Posted By: wtr

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/12/15 01:25 AM

roflmao the only good yote is a dead yote

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/13/15 02:29 AM

pdotson , you should share your tricks and secrets

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/13/15 02:32 AM

Take quite a few pics lol. There has to be a few good ones in there
Posted By: wisco-hunter

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/13/15 08:44 PM

what are you using for bait?

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/13/15 09:28 PM

We use lots of different baits. Just about anything you can buy from MB. http://www.minntrapprod.com/Trapping-Supplies/departments/378/ Also use natural things like gophers,squirrels,pigs anything a coyote would eat as well as trail set with no bait,
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/14/15 04:30 PM

Just a couple observations. I trapped muskrats as a kid using traps that we put in tidal channels that drowned them as the tide came in. Kind of a slow stressful death.

I once observed a kill trail in deep snow where several coyotes kept harassing a doe chasing her for over a mile tearing out pieces of her hind quarters until she bled out. Hair and blood everywhere. I can't imagine the pain and fear this animal went through.
My daughters small dog was disemboweled by 2 coyotes in the back of her house about a month ago and had to be put down.

I routinely trap coons and coyotes now that are negatively impacting my interest in the deer on my property. Killing our fawns and stealing my corn.

As a result of coyote predation TDPW biologist attribute at least 30 to 40% of fawns are taken each year.

I must admit I generally feel some compassion for the animals as I approach them and see there position. I dispatch them as quick as I can. No critter no matter how disliked should suffer unnecessarily.

I believe there is no emotion in the predator world just cold survival and feeling sorry for them is what separates us from them fortunately.
Posted By: varmintslayer

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/16/15 04:01 AM

Awesome! Get all of them... Well leave a few so I can call them in!

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/18/15 05:50 PM

Another one for team Dotson

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/18/15 08:41 PM

yep I think your in the lead by far !! keep'um coming !

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/19/15 06:35 PM

Doubled up today

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/19/15 06:56 PM

And you wonder why deer won't come to the feeders in east texas?

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/19/15 11:26 PM

you should make a HOW TO video and share with us .

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/20/15 12:07 PM

I replyed in the varmint hunting scetion of this forum "How to video" Let me know how we can help. Thanks Buddy http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/5609397/“you_should_make_a_HOW_TO_vide#Post5609397

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/22/15 07:40 PM

Coyote count 18 cat count 5. Here's our catch of the day
Posted By: shea.mcphail

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/22/15 08:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Flashprism

I must admit I generally feel some compassion for the animals as I approach them and see there position. I dispatch them as quick as I can. No critter no matter how disliked should suffer unnecessarily.

I believe there is no emotion in the predator world just cold survival and feeling sorry for them is what separates us from them fortunately.

This makes complete sense. I admit, I have felt bad before about killing a coyote. I have always been a dog person, and having to shoot one made me feel a bit guilty. Then I started thinking about how coyotes have gone after my dad's dogs, and I'd have zero issue with putting one down that attacked my family our Aussie shepherd. Plus I couldn't tell you how many deer or other wildlife they have run off from my feeder. It doesn't bother me to kill them now.

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/25/15 02:12 AM

nice catch of the day !! keep'um coming u da man !

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/25/15 11:31 PM

Good day today!

And headed to the hall of shame
Posted By: d.g.ruff

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/26/15 12:22 AM

Good job, young man!
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/26/15 01:31 AM

As Txcatman1 said, "MERICA!!"
Keep up the good work.
Posted By: tth_40

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/26/15 02:11 AM

Heck yes, well done!! up

Keep up the good work. There will always be folks that don't like what you post no matter what it is.

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/26/15 02:23 AM

Wonder will they eat a deer?
I'll let you be the judge
Posted By: jdd912

Re: coyote trapping pics - 02/27/15 12:57 AM

Great stuff. Love killing coyotes. For the folks that do not like this, what is your opinion on trapping hogs? Or rounding them up with a chopper and shooting them out of a chopper? They are destined for death. It is about population control and it is just a "method" as is setting up a trap for 8 hogs to go into and then get shot or put in a trailer to be sold and then shot. It is all about method. I would love to learn how to trap, looks awesome.

I would like to see a stat on how many deer are lost to animal traps as opposed to predators every year. Wouldn't even be close.

Re: coyote trapping pics - 03/11/15 01:26 AM

where ya at PDOTSON ?? waiting on new pics .

Re: coyote trapping pics - 03/11/15 01:35 AM

I will answer for him. All the traps have been picked up due to the rain. As soon a we get a break in the weather We will be setting traps again. Thanks for the support.
Posted By: MMarshall

Re: coyote trapping pics - 04/06/15 08:07 PM

nice pics
Posted By: redchevy

Re: coyote trapping pics - 04/06/15 08:32 PM

Sure wish I could run a trap line like this!

How many traps you running? We usually only set 2 or 3, been hard luck for us so far. We have more yotes than I can count they just appear to be smarter than us at this point.

Re: coyote trapping pics - 04/09/15 07:48 PM

We try to keep around a dozen or more out. Between the rain and my school/work schedule we have pulled the traps but hopefully can get some steel back out soon
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum