Texas Hunting Forum

What animal ate this?

Posted By: Duck_Hunter

What animal ate this? - 12/16/14 04:40 AM

Long story short, I believe these are the remains of a stray dog that had been hanging around the neighborhood since Saturday. Last night she was alive and somewhat well. She would only get wishing five feet or so of you if you had food. That was it. This morning, I was driving to the gas station and there was an SUV parked about where I had seen her bedded down last night. It looked as though he was petting her, but I didn't really slow down and couldn't see. Later, it dawned on me that he may have hit her by accident and that's how he was able to get that close to her. This afternoon I went to see if she was still around and she wasn't. Then I stepped on this (it was dark).

That's her paw, about five feet from where she was bedded down the night before. The rest of the pictures show ribs, teeth and vertebrae and what looks like another part of her leg. There was no skull, no other skin or fur and, most importantly, no blood.

I am guessing she got hit, made it 200 feet or so, and died. Then, vultures? Some other type of scavenger bird? We have a fox in the area, but they wouldn't eat a dead dog. Any guesses at what would pick a dog clean, leave no blood or skin and might take the skull and bigger bones away?

Re: What animal ate this? - 12/16/14 04:41 AM

Oh, and there appeared to be a rather potent smell of urine a few feet from the remains but I have no idea what it was from.
Posted By: LuckyHunter

Re: What animal ate this? - 12/16/14 04:43 AM

Looks to old to me csi
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: What animal ate this? - 12/16/14 04:46 AM

Originally Posted By: SheepHunter
Looks to old to me csi

Yep, that looks like it has been there for a while.
Posted By: EastTexasHag

Re: What animal ate this? - 12/16/14 04:50 AM

Yeah this doesn't look like a fresh kill to me either. To let you know though, a coyote will kill and eat a small dog.
Posted By: mulie_mike

Re: What animal ate this? - 12/16/14 05:03 AM

I agree, too old. That doesn't happen like that over night.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: What animal ate this? - 12/16/14 05:41 AM

Like the others said, it looks to be old.
Posted By: toolman

Re: What animal ate this? - 12/16/14 07:16 AM

Columbians.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: What animal ate this? - 12/16/14 07:34 AM

Polar bear
Posted By: Stub

Re: What animal ate this? - 12/16/14 11:46 AM

Doodle Bug laugh
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: What animal ate this? - 12/16/14 12:46 PM

The bones will be red for a few days typically even if they are picked clean. I have seen hogs take off with a skull a day or even a month after the animal died.
Posted By: Weegs

Re: What animal ate this? - 12/16/14 02:17 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Polar bear

Clear remains of a Black Panther!

Re: What animal ate this? - 12/16/14 02:31 PM

Ok, thanks, everyone. I agree, it looks old, but it is the dog. Color of fur looks right, size of paw looks right and the dog is gone. Plus, it's exactly where she was laying and she is now she is gone. My other thought was that she died the night before, before it rained, and the rain washed it away, but I swear I saw her near that SUV.

Anyway, thanks again. Best answer was polar bear.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: What animal ate this? - 12/16/14 02:52 PM

Owl are the main predator for small dogs and cats. They are very efficient night hunters.
Posted By: txprowler

Re: What animal ate this? - 12/16/14 03:16 PM

She may have been rolling around on the old remains. It dosnt appear to be fresh remains...

Re: What animal ate this? - 12/16/14 03:34 PM

That's a good point. I'm thrown off by the dog paw, though.

Also, she wasn't a small dog. She was 50-60 lbs. I'm going to go down there in the daylight and look again. Just very odd to me, but thanks for all of the insight.
Posted By: swmays

Re: What animal ate this? - 12/16/14 09:21 PM

A hungry one...
Posted By: Marc K

Re: What animal ate this? - 12/17/14 01:58 PM

I found a dead Bobcat on my place at daybreak last Thursday - not even stiff yet. I dragged it about 300 yards out into the brush and headed for work. Turkey vultures were working on it when I got home, and by Sunday morning there wasn't much left. Four legged and winged scavengers can be amazingly efficient at their job.
Posted By: Mr. Clean

Re: What animal ate this? - 12/17/14 03:31 PM

That's older than 24 hours brother.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum