Texas Hunting Forum

Will he make it?

Posted By: cbkyle

Will he make it? - 09/23/14 02:55 AM

I dont think he will make AR. Trying to find a decent deer for son....he is 7 and looking to kill first buck...I say no, but brother in law says yes..

[img][IMG]http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah12/kcmarik/WGI_0230_zps3d967e56.jpg[/img][/img]
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Will he make it? - 09/23/14 03:00 AM

Hard to tell from that angle but will be close

Re: Will he make it? - 09/23/14 03:03 AM

yeah the angle is bad and he never looks up with all the pics. best view so far. what about age. dont want my boy to take him if too young. we hunt low fence so we know if we pass he is dead if he is legal.
Posted By: Western

Re: Will he make it? - 09/23/14 03:08 AM

I'm with T-Rex, will be reaaal close. The one on the right looks almost as wide, maybe a tad more? Buck in the middle looks 3-4 to me. Hopefully you get a few more photos before the opener.

Re: Will he make it? - 09/23/14 03:10 AM

Yeah i have time if he make bow season. we have 2 guys that are two tracts over from us. one tract is 100 acres and the other is 60 acres. They sling arrows all the time. Been out around us the last 4 years, this year will be their 5th year. Game warden visits them every year, but they have never done anything illegal. They just shoot a lot of young bucks and have wounded way too many. They just dont listen.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Will he make it? - 09/23/14 03:17 AM

Looks a little short to me but I hope I'm wrong!
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Will he make it? - 09/23/14 03:20 AM

If your son likes him, let him have at it and management be damned...as long as he is legal

As far as age, I would say 3.5, possibly 4.5 but more pics could change my mind.
Posted By: Western

Re: Will he make it? - 09/23/14 03:36 AM

I know what you mean about folks just slinging arrows! Last year for the 1st time, a guy bow hunted across the street, we had 4-5 does with slashes across their front backs, to consistent to be random. Thinking it sold though, so fingers crossed.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Will he make it? - 09/23/14 04:22 AM

To close to call at that angle. He looks to be 4 in that pic.
Posted By: gaharris

Re: Will he make it? - 09/23/14 09:40 AM

My only opinion is, "what a shame you even have to ask"
He looks like a mature healthy buck to me and would make a fine buck for your son. As far as I am concerned that's the only criteria you should have to know, that he is mature.
Good luck and I hope your son gets to shoot him.
Posted By: bkj

Re: Will he make it? - 09/23/14 11:26 AM

I think he is fine. He would be a great first buck for your son! Show the pic to your local game warden and see what he says!
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Will he make it? - 09/23/14 11:47 AM

Originally Posted By: bkj
I think he is fine. He would be a great first buck for your son! Show the pic to your local game warden and see what he says!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

He is mature up
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Will he make it? - 09/23/14 12:06 PM

Where is this (if you're paranoid, just give rough region). Asking because if it's somewhere with large bodied deer, I'd say he's legal. If it's Fayette County, nope.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Will he make it? - 09/23/14 12:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

He is mature up
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Will he make it? - 09/23/14 01:09 PM

rifle

Re: Will he make it? - 09/23/14 01:55 PM

wharton/colorado county line
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Will he make it? - 09/23/14 03:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

He is mature up

up
Posted By: cowboy412

Re: Will he make it? - 09/23/14 04:02 PM

Did you burn the grass under your feeder?

Re: Will he make it? - 09/23/14 04:37 PM

No...a few weeks back my brother in law forgot the weed whacker but had spray. so he sprayed it and it looks like crap. will whack it this weekend.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Will he make it? - 09/23/14 04:58 PM

Originally Posted By: cbkyle
No...a few weeks back my brother in law forgot the weed whacker but had spray. so he sprayed it and it looks like crap. will whack it this weekend.
I'd leave it. If the deer has his head in the weeds it would only help mask you drawing the bow.

Re: Will he make it? - 09/23/14 05:08 PM

Thats true and it hasnt bothered them.
Posted By: RDNCK

Re: Will he make it? - 09/23/14 08:07 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
If your son likes him, let him have at it and management be damned...as long as he is legal

As far as age, I would say 3.5, possibly 4.5 but more pics could change my mind.

X100
Posted By: MoTex

Re: Will he make it? - 09/23/14 10:13 PM

That's one tall feeder, how do you fill it?

Re: Will he make it? - 09/24/14 02:37 AM

I keep a 10' ladder in storage shed. The feeder barrel was an older one and fixed it up. These were the only legs we found out at camp. it works, but yes very tall. No one else will mess with it, but me.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum