Posted By: MathMan

Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/04/14 05:35 PM

Day one Thrusday:
Bought almost 30lbs of pork bellies

Day two Friday:
Rub:
1/2 cup pink salt #1
1 cup kosher salt

Put cure on meat and sealed in huge ziplock bags.
Put in referigerstor.

Day three through 8:
Will flip every other day

Day 8 Friday:
Wash rub off and set in fridge until Saturday

Day 9 Saturday:
We will smoke it at 200 degrees until the internal temp is 150degrees F.

Will post more pics next week.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/04/14 05:41 PM

food
Posted By: tigger

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/04/14 05:46 PM

That is cool
Posted By: elcasador

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/04/14 05:56 PM

This thread is worthless without a sample!
Posted By: StretchR

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/04/14 06:06 PM

That bacon LOOKS really good.... elcasador is right, will there be samples? flag
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/04/14 06:07 PM

up
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/04/14 06:10 PM

Originally Posted By: tigger
That is cool
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/04/14 06:10 PM

food

PM sent with address for review and confirmation of proper flavoring banana
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/04/14 06:18 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
food
x2

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/04/14 06:27 PM

We also bought this meat slicer. Should be perfect for Bacon and when we make Jerky.
Posted By: 7mag

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/04/14 06:39 PM

I have a question. Is making bacon (no pun intended) cheaper then buying it made? Bacon is quite high is why I ask.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/04/14 07:51 PM

food

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/04/14 08:27 PM

Originally Posted By: 7mag
I have a question. Is making bacon (no pun intended) cheaper then buying it made? Bacon is quite high is why I ask.

The pork bellies were $3.89/lb.
Cure #1 was $12 but will do 200lbs.
Kosher salt was $1.50 for 4lbs and we only used 1 cup.
Posted By: Espy

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/04/14 08:37 PM

looking forward to seeing the finished product
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/05/14 12:27 AM

I will take one slab
Posted By: GPS

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/05/14 12:42 AM

Have you done this before or is this your first time? You seem to have a process/plan in place.

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/05/14 12:58 AM

Originally Posted By: GPS
Have you done this before or is this your first time? You seem to have a process/plan in place.

This is our first time. I researched a lot online and asked our butcher about it.

Also you don't even have to smoke it. I could just stop after curing it. Or I could put some liquid smoke on it with the cure and bake it in the oven at 200 degrees until the internal temp is 150.

Before we smoke it I'm going to cut some strips and fry it to see what it's like.

Two of them will be pepper bacon. We will put fresh ground pepper on them just before we smoke them.

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/05/14 05:42 PM

Found pork bellies today at a different butcher for $2.19/lb! Wish we would have priced around. Would have saved about $50.

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/06/14 04:22 AM

Here's some updated pics of it in the fridge.
Posted By: topwater13

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/06/14 12:23 PM

Awesome!!!!
Posted By: bkj

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/06/14 01:11 PM

Sounds really good! I think I might try this! Please let us know how it turns out and anything you might would do different.
Posted By: tc/encore

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/06/14 01:26 PM

Originally Posted By: MathMan
Found pork bellies today at a different butcher for $2.19/lb! Wish we would have priced around. Would have saved about $50.

$1.29 per pound at Old Town Meat Market in Lewisville. I have made a few different batches myself. Last one was Maple and Black Pepper smoked with Apple wood.

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/06/14 01:31 PM

Here,s a couple pics. Nice thing about making your own is no shrinkage when you cook it. Store bought bacon is full of water.

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/06/14 01:33 PM

Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/06/14 01:59 PM

yum
Posted By: Mr. Clean

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/07/14 03:05 PM

I hate you..... food

That looks GREAT!
Posted By: Espy

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/07/14 05:03 PM

looks great where are the samples food

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/12/14 06:42 PM

Just before smoking.

Just starting smoking

All done!! Internal temp is 150 degrees F.

Tomorrow we will be slicing it up!!!

Hope it's good. I tried the end and it was extreamly salty. Hopefully that was only because it was the end...
Posted By: John2

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/12/14 08:28 PM

Cant wait to see what it looks like after it's sliced but it sure looks good now too up
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/13/14 03:28 AM

Hope it's good. I tried the end and it was extreamly salty. Hopefully that was only because it was the end...

What I have done using Morton Sugar cure is salty. The Morton is mostly salt and brown sugar, Turns out well but is salty.
Posted By: MELackey

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/13/14 07:20 PM

How did it turn out?

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/13/14 09:34 PM

Turned out great! Still too salty but that's fine. It will be good in scrambled eggs or in a taco. Too salty by its self.

Very lean!!!
Posted By: don k

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/13/14 09:44 PM

I have made it a few times. It is very easy to get it over salted. I have found that washing it in warm water and not leaving the curing salt on as long helps a lot. Also I have never hot smoked mine. Actually what you are doing is making ham by getting the temp. up.

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/13/14 10:58 PM

Originally Posted By: don k
I have made it a few times. It is very easy to get it over salted. I have found that washing it in warm water and not leaving the curing salt on as long helps a lot. Also I have never hot smoked mine. Actually what you are doing is making ham by getting the temp. up.

So I'm not supposed to heat it to 150degrees internal? I was reading all online about this and everywhere said heat to 150degrees.

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/13/14 11:06 PM

So I'm not supposed to heat it to 150degrees internal? I was reading all online about this and everywhere said heat to 150degrees.
I may be wrong but when it is heated to that it is actually partially cooked. That may be the way to do it I don't know. I always just cold smoked mine because you were going to fry it anyway. Like I said maybe I am wrong and that is the proper way to do it. Mine turned out good and I will continue doing it my way. was just curious on the heating part. As long as you like it that is all that counts.

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/13/14 11:19 PM

I was thinking about making some that wasn't smoked at all. Then it's not as much work but I was going to put it in my oven. If I don't have to heat it that would be even better.

So you cold smoked yours. I don't understand cold smoking? How much degrees do you cold smoke? No heat? Just smoke? How do you do that?
Posted By: C'mere

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/13/14 11:32 PM

Tagged for interest. Nice work there.
Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/13/14 11:44 PM

cheers food up
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/14/14 02:06 AM

Looks good, gonna have to give it a shot.

I see someone is waiting on scraps in the second pic. grin

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/14/14 02:09 AM

Originally Posted By: TexFlip
Looks good, gonna have to give it a shot.

I see someone is waiting on scraps in the second pic. grin

Yep. He's fast too!!!

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/14/14 02:21 AM

I was thinking about making some that wasn't smoked at all. Then it's not as much work but I was going to put it in my oven. If I don't have to heat it that would be even better.

So you cold smoked yours. I don't understand cold smoking? How much degrees do you cold smoke? No heat? Just smoke? How do you do that?
Have a small building where we smoke sausage. Have coals in a 5 gallon bucket with a cover over it so the wood placed in it smokes but does not actually burn with a flame. Do it in the winter and it is cold. A large enough area so that it does not heat up to any extent but gets smoky. It may be wrong but that is the way we have always done it.
Posted By: Kbar Ag Service

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/14/14 02:31 AM

If im not mistaken, the "Pink Salt" cures it.
The smoke is only for taste.
Great post MM and we are watching for more DIY pork processing.

Rene @ K-Bar
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/16/14 06:25 PM

I may be wrong but when it is heated to that it is actually partially cooked. That may be the way to do it I don't know. I always just cold smoked mine because you were going to fry it anyway. Like I said maybe I am wrong and that is the proper way to do it. Mine turned out good and I will continue doing it my way. was just curious on the heating part. As long as you like it that is all that counts.

Smoked bacon you buy at the store is partially or fully cooked. Says so on the package.

Cold smoke is just the smoke without the heat. You need the fire farther away from the meat and then pipe the smoke to the meat so it cools in the piping. You can use an electric heat source if you want and force the air through so you control the smoke flow. I've seen it done on Salmon and cheese, never done it myself.

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/16/14 09:53 PM

Toxarch, I don't know about you but I always thought bacon needed to be fried. Ham you don't have to.

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/22/14 09:23 PM

Man this bacon is very salty. Too salty. I think I'll use it for beans only. I can't eat it and I like lots of salt. Just do y'all know don't use this recipe.

I'm making another recipe now. Only 8 lbs

Pops Brine Recipe from TheSmokerForums.com
2 gallons water
1.5 cups kosher salt
2 cups sugar
2 cups brown sugar
2 flat tbsp cure #1

Mix all then put it in bucket to soak in fridge for 10-14 days.
Stir once a day.
Then smoke it like you want.

I'm not going to smoke this one.

I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

I found pork bellies for $1.99/lb!!!

Going to be some cheap bacon!
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/22/14 09:58 PM

What both of you are doing is cold smoking, same process applies for smoked sausages. You are giving your product a smoke flavor & the smoke itself also helps to cure the meat (creates external barrier that slows down bacterial intrusion), but in order to get that smoke flavor in your meat it takes a little time in the smokehouse. During the "cold smoke" process your meat product will fall into the "danger" zone for bacteria to grow (botulism) that is why most (not all) people use the pink curing salt #1 (sodium nitrite). It will prevent bacteria from growing during the cold smoking process. 150-155 degrees is the target temperature most folks pull their product from the smokehouse because that is considered the safe temperature (bacteria cannot live), and if you bring up the temp much hotter than that then you will start to render your fat and then you will be "hot smoking" and you don't want that because that is cooking. It will be safe to eat when it comes out but I prefer to then cook it to render the fat (you have to with bacon) and crisp it up.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/23/14 12:15 AM

Skinnerback, you are very wise yingyang

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/23/14 12:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Erathkid
Skinnerback, you are very wise yingyang

grin I love this stuff! I'm learning myself. I've always processed my own meat but just got into processing my own smoked meats last year. I've done a TON of research on this stuff because I wanted to try and get it right the first time, which I did banana2 I don't have a lot of experience under my belt yet. So far, in my new smoke house I have processed 3 batches of Hickory Smoked Pork Sausage and 1 batch of Jalapeno Cheese Venison Summer Sausage. These were large batches after I ran one small test batch and they all turned out great. HOMEMADE BACON is the next thing that I'm doing so I'm sure I'll be doing some learning too. I can't wait!

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/23/14 12:50 AM

BTW Math Man that bacon looks AWESOME!! Sorry it turned out too salty. From what I've read, that has happened to a lot of people.

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/23/14 02:35 AM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback
BTW Math Man that bacon looks AWESOME!! Sorry it turned out too salty. From what I've read, that has happened to a lot of people.

Yep. I've learned now to test fry and if too salty, soak it in some water for a while. Also it's very tough and I've learned that's due to too much curing salt.

My next one I think will be perfect!!!

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/23/14 02:42 AM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback

Yep. I've learned now to test fry and if too salty, soak it in some water for a while. Also it's very tough and I've learned that's due to too much curing salt.

My next one I think will be perfect!!!

I hope so! Looks like we'll be learning together...

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/30/14 03:20 AM

Well this recipe is too sweet but it's edible. I poured some table salt and fresh ground pepper on it and it's in the fridge waiting till tomorrow to try it.

Here's a pic of some of it hand sliced.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/31/14 05:04 PM

Man this bacon is very salty. Too salty. I think I'll use it for beans only. I can't eat it and I like lots of salt. Just do y'all know don't use this recipe.

I'm making another recipe now. Only 8 lbs

Pops Brine Recipe from TheSmokerForums.com
2 gallons water
1.5 cups kosher salt
2 cups sugar
2 cups brown sugar
2 flat tbsp cure #1

Mix all then put it in bucket to soak in fridge for 10-14 days.
Stir once a day.
Then smoke it like you want.

I'm not going to smoke this one.

I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

I found pork bellies for $1.99/lb!!!

Going to be some cheap bacon!
tag
Posted By: Sam in the Hills

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/31/14 07:56 PM

Originally Posted By: elcasador

So True! Also, I m very jealous you have a smoker that can handle that....I have been dying to build my own and haven't gotten around to it. show us your smoker!

Re: Homemade Bacon!!! - 07/31/14 08:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Sam @ Visions
Originally Posted By: elcasador

So True! Also, I m very jealous you have a smoker that can handle that....I have been dying to build my own and haven't gotten around to it. show us your smoker!

Here's mine (cold smoker)...

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum