Texas Hunting Forum

A change of pace, my first Aoudad!

Posted By: JC8690

A change of pace, my first Aoudad! - 11/18/13 02:48 PM

Well I finally got to make it way out west with a great group of guys, and had the opportunity to take my very first Aoudad. I can not begin to express how thankful I am that I got this opportunity. It was by no means an easy hunt, and those mountains took a whole lot more out of me than I ever thought that they would. I finally got my shot opportunity from the top of a mountain with the animal being a little over 300yds below us. The brute took the shot from my 300wsm and did not act like he had been hit at all. He did soon expire however, and I had my trophy.

And as a little something extra, this shot was put on the shoulder of my buddies Aoudad and did not even penetrate the tough animal.

That is a 308 round stuck right in his hide. I thought that was pretty amazing.

As a side note, this was a low fence free range hunt for those that will ask.
Posted By: rob valle

Re: A change of pace, my first Aoudad! - 11/18/13 03:00 PM

Rough looking cape but great horns!

Re: A change of pace, my first Aoudad! - 11/18/13 03:06 PM

Originally Posted By: rob valle
Rough looking cape but great horns!

That's the problem I'm having now. I'm stuck waiting on a cape before I can do anything with him. He was definitely a fighter though.
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: A change of pace, my first Aoudad! - 11/18/13 03:06 PM

any chance that .308 round was a squib load?

a .308 can blow up bricks ,,, something is not right with
that round/bullet

nice horn, will be my next target

Re: A change of pace, my first Aoudad! - 11/18/13 03:15 PM

Originally Posted By: cabosandinh
any chance that .308 round was a squib load?

a .308 can blow up bricks ,,, something is not right with
that round/bullet

nice horn, will be my next target

That's my thought as well. I was the only one shooting hand loads though, and I believe that was a factory Winchester load. I still thought that it was pretty incredible to see.
Posted By: WesTexHunter75

Re: A change of pace, my first Aoudad! - 11/18/13 03:52 PM

Thats crazy that bullet only penetrated that far! Something must have been up with that round as it should have done way more than that. Nice Audad! What county did you take him in?
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: A change of pace, my first Aoudad! - 11/18/13 03:57 PM

Congratulations.
Posted By: TxAg

Re: A change of pace, my first Aoudad! - 11/18/13 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By: JC8690
That's the problem I'm having now. I'm stuck waiting on a cape before I can do anything with him. He was definitely a fighter though.

Bull snot. I say mount him as he was in life. The scars and horn rub line give him all the more character.

Congrats. Great Aoudad, and crazy stuff on that .308 load.

Re: A change of pace, my first Aoudad! - 11/18/13 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By: TxAg

Bull snot. I say mount him as he was in life. The scars and horn rub line give him all the more character.

Thank you sir. I caped him as he was, and am kicking that idea around. I just don't want to have it come out looking like it was a bad taxidermy job.
Posted By: TxAg

Re: A change of pace, my first Aoudad! - 11/18/13 04:15 PM

Thank you sir. I caped him as he was, and am kicking that idea around. I just don't want to have it come out looking like it was a bad taxidermy job.

I hear you man, it's a life time trophy for sure. Your taxi will probably have some good advice for you as well.
Posted By: Ryan81

Re: A change of pace, my first Aoudad! - 11/18/13 04:18 PM

I think it you should mount it like it is. up
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: A change of pace, my first Aoudad! - 11/18/13 05:13 PM

are those aoudads good eating ?
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: A change of pace, my first Aoudad! - 11/18/13 05:29 PM

congrats!
Posted By: cmc

Re: A change of pace, my first Aoudad! - 11/18/13 05:34 PM

Great ram, he should be mounted as is. He earned each and every scar he has and they shouldn't be taken away, he's a champ, show his scars like he's one.

Re: A change of pace, my first Aoudad! - 11/18/13 05:37 PM

Originally Posted By: cabosandinh
are those aoudads good eating ?

I have not been a fan so far. It's extremely tough and pretty gamey. I'm not really sure how I want to try to eat it next. I definitely prefer venison.
Posted By: bu2herndog

Re: A change of pace, my first Aoudad! - 11/18/13 06:36 PM

Great aoudad. I wouldn't hesitate to mount with the cape as is. Makes for a truly unique and realistic trophy to have on your wall.
Posted By: Dragonuv

Re: A change of pace, my first Aoudad! - 11/18/13 06:42 PM

Great job! Nice animal.
Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

Re: A change of pace, my first Aoudad! - 11/18/13 06:48 PM

NICE

and another vote for mount as is, if anyone says anything about the taxi job it'll give you just that much more to talk about !
Posted By: crstfr

Re: A change of pace, my first Aoudad! - 11/18/13 08:13 PM

man.. leave him as is.... it show's how kick [censored] he was... ...
Posted By: scooter79

Re: A change of pace, my first Aoudad! - 11/18/13 08:20 PM

as is
Posted By: rsquared

Re: A change of pace, my first Aoudad! - 11/18/13 09:01 PM

scars make for a better mount on an aoudad. he was a bruiser and fighter in life, his mount would be awesome with all that character.

but ultimately, its how you feel best about it. not us...

I wonder if that 308 round wasn't a shot from a real long distance that just didn't have enough energy left to break thru the shoulder when it hit its mark. a 308 is great to hit targets at 1000 yds, but it doesn't carry the kinetic energy at those distances.
Posted By: WTGuide

Re: A change of pace, my first Aoudad! - 11/18/13 09:29 PM

up
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: A change of pace, my first Aoudad! - 11/18/13 11:40 PM

Frame that picture and hang it beside the mount. Easy to tell that it was a fighter in the picture.
Posted By: jlbain94

Re: A change of pace, my first Aoudad! - 11/19/13 12:30 AM

Awesome!
Posted By: BBD84

Re: A change of pace, my first Aoudad! - 11/19/13 12:38 AM

nice goat
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum