Texas Hunting Forum

Saying goodbye to the place (pic heavy)

Posted By: yeti2009

Saying goodbye to the place (pic heavy) - 09/26/13 04:56 AM

Let me start out saying that I have been VERY privileged to hunt on what my grandad called "the place" most of my life as it originally belonged to my grandparents since the early 80's. Small acerage (<100acres) and in central texas. Low hunting pressure, good neighbors, and good deer. An absolute honey hole.

Took my very first buck and doe here when I was a teenager along with a few more personal trophies years later. Killed tons of hogs, coyotes, bobcat, dove, and ducks. Busted my rear end building fence, food plots, you name it. Most of it done all by myself. Still enjoyed every waking minute of it and would do it all over again given the chance.

With the passing on of my grandparents a few years back, this particular piece of land somehow was willed to "the other side" of the family tree. I don't want to get into all the details, but I'll just say everything went to hell. It was no surprise to see it go up for sale this year since some people are just not meant to be land owners. Just got word that it was sold, and the new owners closed today.

Hurts like hell to see it go, but sometimes it's for the best. Those of you hunting on family land, enjoy it while it lasts because these places don't last forever.

I have always been curious about this buck in the first 2 pics. Biggest damn deer I have ever seen around these parts. Saw him once while feeding cows but didn't have a rifle nearby. Came out that night and never saw him again. Feel free to guess age/score.

Was looking forward to seeing this one again this year. Should be about 4-5 year old.
Posted By: jlbain94

Re: Saying goodbye to the place (pic heavy) - 09/26/13 05:44 AM

Sorry to hear that. Hate for it to go, but hope you can find a good, new lease!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Saying goodbye to the place (pic heavy) - 09/26/13 05:50 AM

Originally Posted By: bullseyebain94

up
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Saying goodbye to the place (pic heavy) - 09/26/13 06:00 AM

Thanks for the pics
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Saying goodbye to the place (pic heavy) - 09/26/13 11:09 AM

Wish you could buy it....
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Saying goodbye to the place (pic heavy) - 09/26/13 11:23 AM

Sucks sorry to hear it. That first buck is a HOSS.
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Saying goodbye to the place (pic heavy) - 09/26/13 11:30 AM

sorry to hear this, i am hoping the same doesnt happen when my grandmother passes. great pics and good luck with a new place.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Saying goodbye to the place (pic heavy) - 09/26/13 12:39 PM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher

up

X2
Posted By: janie

Re: Saying goodbye to the place (pic heavy) - 09/26/13 12:51 PM

Sure sorry to hear that. Hope your able to find a new place soon.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Saying goodbye to the place (pic heavy) - 09/26/13 12:53 PM

Been there and done that. I feel your pain.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Saying goodbye to the place (pic heavy) - 09/26/13 12:57 PM

Sorry to hear this.
I hate to ask but did they give you the opportunity to purchase the little piece of heaven?
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Saying goodbye to the place (pic heavy) - 09/26/13 12:59 PM

I have been there and certainly understand your pain. Just remember that other opportunities will come you way, offering new experiences that you might not have pursued otherwise. Good luck.
Posted By: TX35

Re: Saying goodbye to the place (pic heavy) - 09/26/13 01:02 PM

Sorry to hear you're losing your place! frown
Posted By: yeti2009

Re: Saying goodbye to the place (pic heavy) - 09/26/13 01:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Pope&Young
Sorry to hear this.
I hate to ask but did they give you the opportunity to purchase the little piece of heaven?

I couldn't afford it, and they weren't going to work with me on the price. It didn't surprise me but oh well. I'm just glad I had the opportunity while it was there.

Thanks for the comments everyone.
Posted By: dawaba

Re: Saying goodbye to the place (pic heavy) - 09/26/13 01:19 PM

Look at it this way....you got to enjoy years of fine hunting for free. You had unencumbered use of the property for your food plots, your game cams, and your hunting strategies.

For all that, the rest of us pay thousands yearly, and we have to work just as hard.

Down the road, you'll look back on those years with a certain fondness and nostalgia. Welcome to our world of pay-to-play.
Posted By: Matt1023

Re: Saying goodbye to the place (pic heavy) - 09/26/13 01:19 PM

Feel your pain buddy, went through the exact same situation when my grandparents died. But, like Mike said, it will probably open up a lot more opportunities that you never would have pursued otherwise.
Posted By: Mr. Clean

Re: Saying goodbye to the place (pic heavy) - 09/26/13 01:33 PM

That sucks.....wish there could have been some way for you to keep it. Sorry.....
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Saying goodbye to the place (pic heavy) - 09/26/13 01:39 PM

That's not cool, good luck and I hope you're blessed with a good place to hunt.
Posted By: TX TCAT

Re: Saying goodbye to the place (pic heavy) - 09/26/13 02:11 PM

Sorry about your loss. That first deer is quite the bruiser. You'll find somewhere else to hunt and you can call it "The Spot" or "My Place".... just some ideas
Posted By: 007hunters son

Re: Saying goodbye to the place (pic heavy) - 09/26/13 03:47 PM

Posted By: stx44mag

Re: Saying goodbye to the place (pic heavy) - 09/26/13 06:08 PM

Keep your head, you still have the memories, that they can't take away.... I do feel your pain..
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: Saying goodbye to the place (pic heavy) - 09/26/13 09:01 PM

I deal with this sort of thing just about every week in my line of work. Good luck finding a new place.
Posted By: corvette

Re: Saying goodbye to the place (pic heavy) - 09/26/13 09:39 PM

Thanks for sharing the great pics. I had the very same thing happen to me and I am truly sorry. Hopefully we will get lucky again in the future!
Posted By: HoughTown

Re: Saying goodbye to the place (pic heavy) - 09/26/13 11:01 PM

Holy hell, that first buck is a stud! Sorry about the land, that's a real bummer.
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Saying goodbye to the place (pic heavy) - 09/26/13 11:57 PM

I feel your pain. I started hunting in 1974 in Mason Co and spent the next32 on that lease or the one down the road, all in the same family. The granchilluns got involved when the land was given to them before Mr White died and it was only a matter of time.
The land went from around 10,000 acres, split between 3 "trees" of the family. The last 500 acres was for sale last summer! Truly sad
Posted By: Txkiller

Re: Saying goodbye to the place (pic heavy) - 09/26/13 11:59 PM

That sucks hate to hear stories like this.
Posted By: E-fly

Re: Saying goodbye to the place (pic heavy) - 09/27/13 01:07 AM

Sorry to hear this. Wish you the best in the future. Really nice deer in the first 2 pics.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Saying goodbye to the place (pic heavy) - 09/27/13 01:39 AM

Originally Posted By: E-fly
Sorry to hear this. Wish you the best in the future. Really nice deer in the first 2 pics.

Good Luck!
Posted By: Archer Anthony

Re: Saying goodbye to the place (pic heavy) - 09/27/13 03:00 AM

nice
Posted By: leswad

Re: Saying goodbye to the place (pic heavy) - 09/29/13 02:18 AM

My great great grand father used to own all of the land along sister grove creek between Denison and Van Alstyne. None of it made it down to me!

I need to go back in time and whip some asses!
Posted By: Txhunter83

Re: Saying goodbye to the place (pic heavy) - 09/30/13 04:52 AM

I can relate bud. We own a ranch that I grew up on and have hunted all my life. My grandfather passed a few years ago and I knew it was just a matter of time. The fate of the place was put in the hands of 5 sisters and 2 of them raised hell and created tension among the family so they put it up for sale. It's really sad because my kids and all of their cousins won't have it to enjoy like we did. My kids love it there. My grandfather and I made some great memories there. I have taken some nice deer and countless varmints but my greatest memories are the times spent with family and friends. It is my favorite place in the world. It doesn't matter if I'm hunting or working. It's sad to see what money does to people. They become ruthless. Apparently this happens a lot. At least we have the memories!

Posted By: aeb

Re: Saying goodbye to the place (pic heavy) - 09/30/13 05:35 AM

This was a tough thread to read. I am on the other side of the equation. Our place has been in the family for over a hundred years and as hard as I try to convince myself otherwise, it may end with me. My grandfather cleared the land for the fields that I now farm. To realize that it may soon end eats away at my soul.
Posted By: Troutfisch

Re: Saying goodbye to the place (pic heavy) - 09/30/13 07:39 PM

Hard to beat the ol' family lease but sadly it's becoming a thing of the past.

Sorry for your loss but you still have the memories and that's something that can never be taken away.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum