Texas Hunting Forum

Building a Barndominium (pic heavy)

Posted By: stxranchman

Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/28/13 02:41 PM

I started this project last summer when I had a spot cleared off to build a new barn with living quarters. With the EFS booming down in South Texas is was very difficult getting guys lined up to do the work. I am not one for anything really fancy so I wanted chose a barn with decent size living quarters in it. I was more worried about having enough wall space for mounts than anything I guess grin Total slab is 30'x92' with 30'x52' living area. The barn/shed area will be 30'x40'.

After the spot was cleared I realized I was going to have to add some material to level the area for the slab. I started in November and this was the start of many loads of caliche with a tractor with a frontend loader. Watered it for several days and then got some good rains on it so we could do the slab.

Then in finally in Feb. I got the slab done.

Barn materials came in and they put up the steel. All welded and no bolts on this build.

Added windows, I did not want many windows.

They then started to put the skin on it.

Front porch after all the skin is on the building.

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/28/13 02:47 PM

Next they got started on the inside with framing.

Outside walls are 12' high and center is 16' high. There will be a 15'x52' living area and then 2 bedrooms with 2 bathes along with an office in the other 15'x52' half of the build. Bedroom ceilings will be 10'.

Posted By: Stub

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/28/13 02:49 PM

Looks great so far. Is this a work & get away place on your property, or the final resting place to hang it up at?
Posted By: East

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/28/13 02:52 PM

Looks great stx
Posted By: jcarlson91

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/28/13 02:53 PM

Nice place!

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/28/13 03:00 PM

I had them use the spray on foam insulation put in for better insulation with 3.5" on the walls and 5.5" under the roof in the living area and barn.

I also decided to put 1/2" plywood on all the wall under the sheetrock in the living area. This will allow me to put mounts any place without worrying about hitting a stud.

I also decided to drop the ceiling in the kitchen area only. So we decided to put a loft area above part of it so I can use the area for mounts. I am going to finish this loft area with barn wood off an 80 year old chicken house that my grandparents built on their farm. I thought it would add some family history to my new home.

The have installed the AC and duct work last week. Now the sheetrock this week and will be taping and floating.

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/28/13 03:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Stub
Looks great so far. Is this a work & get away place on your property, or the final resting place to hang it up at?

This will be my home and final resting place if I have anything to say about it.
Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/28/13 03:11 PM

Very nice STX. Love it, Congrats. Going to shed a lot of water when it rains or hurricanes.

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/28/13 03:16 PM

Originally Posted By: jeh7mmmag
Very nice STX. Love it, Congrats. Going to shed a lot of water when it rains or hurricanes.

Going to put continuous gutters on it and my parents home at the same time. It has had 12" of rain on it since the roof was put on and ran a lot water like I expected. I am waiting to do it after I put in a road/driveway and yard fence to I can see how the water flows naturally after doing all that.
Posted By: Capt. Andrew

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/28/13 03:19 PM

I always like this type of house/barns. I plan on building one in a few years.
Posted By: JHeflinland

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/28/13 03:21 PM

Very nice and I like the idea of plywood behind the sheetrock. I plan on building the same type of home some day. I'm an oilfield gypsy living in a fifth wheel for the time being.

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/28/13 03:23 PM

Originally Posted By: JHeflinland
Very nice and I like the idea of plywood behind the sheetrock. I plan on building the same type of home some day. I'm an oilfield gypsy living in a fifth wheel for the time being.

I am living in a 14'x32' Morgan Cabin as I get this built since finding anything to rent is impossible or crazy high in price. So I know the feeling.
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/28/13 03:26 PM

Man, that is exactly what I want for my retirement home.

With that much water shed, I'd look into a rainwater collection system.

Very cool and congrats.
Posted By: don k

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/28/13 03:32 PM

Looks good and it should be something that will last a couple of generations.

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/28/13 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By: LandPirate
Man, that is exactly what I want for my retirement home.

With that much water shed, I'd look into a rainwater collection system.

Very cool and congrats.

The option I am looking into is to pipe the gutter runoff to a small pond if I can get one built that will hold water below the house/barn.
Posted By: JHeflinland

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/28/13 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Originally Posted By: JHeflinland

I am living in a 14'x32' Morgan Cabin as I get this built since finding anything to rent is impossible or crazy high in price. So I know the feeling.

Worked in 28 counties, stayed in 13 towns, in 6 different states over the past 6 years and my trailer goes everywhere. It's home and I miss it when I'm away from it for too long now. I haven't had to work in South TX yet, but I have heard the horror stories of finding a place to stay down there.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/28/13 03:46 PM

Looking good. The barn wood will be a nice touch up
Posted By: aeb

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/28/13 03:52 PM

Very nice. Keep posting as it get completed.
Posted By: My stand is pink camo

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/28/13 03:53 PM

That is looking super! You really thought and planned it well. It's going to be awesome!
Posted By: Springster

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/28/13 03:57 PM

Nice STX, keep the pics coming, I'd like to see it when you are done.
Posted By: jlbain94

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/28/13 04:50 PM

Very nice!
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/28/13 05:19 PM

Originally Posted By: bullseyebain94
Very nice!
Posted By: maceman

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/28/13 05:19 PM

Looking good, when is the house warming party??
Posted By: Big Orn

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/28/13 05:27 PM

That's the only way to do it, stx! Looking good! up
Posted By: Homer Jay

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/28/13 07:07 PM

With drywall over plywood over spray foam you should be very well insulated and very sound proofed!
Posted By: Homer Jay

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/28/13 07:12 PM

Another plus with the plywood backer is you'll only have to put up 1/2" drywall on the walls, if you go that way. It's a couple dollars difference per sheet with the 5/8".
Posted By: David G

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/28/13 07:22 PM

good work and forethought into the design. excellent!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/28/13 07:46 PM

Originally Posted By: David G
good work and forethought into the design. excellent!

X2
Posted By: USMCatfish

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/28/13 07:50 PM

That looks really nice....Can't wait to see more pictures of the build.
Posted By: Payne

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/28/13 07:52 PM

Outstanding stx

Use the RCS for a garden farmer up
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/28/13 08:09 PM

sweet
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/28/13 08:31 PM

Love it when a Plan comes together! Looks great!
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/28/13 08:47 PM

Looks like a great design stx. Looking forward to seeing more progress.
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/28/13 08:59 PM

That is a great looking place. Looks like you put a lot of time planning it to get what you wanted. Job well done.

Walter
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/28/13 09:04 PM

Looks awesome. If I had my way, I'd build one similar and forget living in the city for the rest of my life.

Don't think my wife would buy off on a barndo just yet, but when she introduces the idea of her parents living with us, that will be my negotiation.
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/28/13 09:28 PM

Ultimate man cave. Sweet place stx up
Posted By: csmith936

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/28/13 09:32 PM

I've been thinking of building me a place like this for quite some time now!!!
Posted By: Tye

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/28/13 09:42 PM

Looking good
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/28/13 11:20 PM

Originally Posted By: BuckRage
Ultimate man cave. Sweet place stx up
up up
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/28/13 11:32 PM

Looking great. Keep us updated!

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/28/13 11:41 PM

Originally Posted By: cameron00
Looks awesome. If I had my way, I'd build one similar and forget living in the city for the rest of my life.

Don't think my wife would buy off on a barndo just yet, but when she introduces the idea of her parents living with us, that will be my negotiation.

I am lucky that I am not married and can do what I want.... grin
Take her along to ranch and go thru Columbus and turn at the hanging tree onto FM 109 and go past New Ulm. About halfway from New Ulm to Industry is a really nice looking barndoniminum that is visible off the left side of the road in the rolling country. It has been there for a while but is very nice looking. If you are every in the Brady area I have a buddy that has a very nice one, if she it she would change her mind.

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/29/13 02:13 AM

She grew up in a town of 2500 people and is terrified of Houston.

I may have the ultimate trump card when it all comes down to it...

"Well, I suppose we could buy some acreage with a nice pond away from the traffic, but unfortunately, they don't build houses out in the woods. Hmmm...what could we do to make you happy? Hmmm..."
Posted By: DesertHunting

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/29/13 02:32 AM

Looks real nice STX!
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/29/13 03:02 AM

Originally Posted By: cameron00
She grew up in a town of 2500 people and is terrified of Houston.

I may have the ultimate trump card when it all comes down to it...

"Well, I suppose we could buy some acreage with a nice pond away from the traffic, but unfortunately, they don't build houses out in the woods. Hmmm...what could we do to make you happy? Hmmm..."

I'll put a billboard up out there that says "Custom Brick Homes...Built in the Woods"grin

Looking good stx...ready to see how you do your mounts.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/29/13 03:03 AM

PS...at least get a 50" flat screen to go with the new padstir
Posted By: 007007

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/29/13 03:10 AM

Originally Posted By: maceman
Looking good, when is the house warming party??

What a great idea! Looking forward to it Ranchman!!!
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/29/13 03:20 AM

Looks good stx!!!!

I rolled through your country today, even stopped at whataburger for a minute, almost pm'd tou but had the kid and wife, and they were ready to get home

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/29/13 03:21 AM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Looks good stx!!!!

I rolled through your country today, even stopped at whataburger for a minute, almost pm'd tou but had the kid and wife, and they were ready to get home

Goliad?

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/29/13 03:25 AM

Yelp was at the coast with in-laws since wed(family vacation). I was going to hit you up for lunch thrusday, but had to install new fans at the house in rockport.

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/29/13 03:27 AM

I was in CC all week long everyday till midday Friday at the hospital with my Dad. Rain yesterday sure cooled it down today.

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/29/13 03:56 AM

Gotcha, ya you can for sure tell what got rain and what didn't along 183

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/29/13 03:57 AM

How bad is 183 torn up? It was really bad last year in the spring/summer.

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/29/13 04:01 AM

Wasn't bad, no near like last year or earlier this year. Pretty much run 75 all the way to 130, except in towns of course.

The stop light in goliad is still a train wreck though, but I'm sure you know that

Now 35 from temple to the 35 spilt north of hillsboro is a mess. Took me four hours

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/29/13 04:02 AM

I have not been thru the light in Goliad in over a month now and it had been worked on for a few months then. They are still working on it?

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/29/13 04:05 AM

I have had over 13" of rain since 4-28 and that area along 183 has had way more than me. So I can only imagine how tall and green it is along that highway. South of Goliad to Refugio has had even more all year long.
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Gotcha, ya you can for sure tell what got rain and what didn't along 183
Posted By: Payne

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/29/13 11:03 AM

13" of rain?!? now you're bragging....

grin
Posted By: DiverTexas

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/29/13 12:03 PM

That's going to be a nice set up.

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/29/13 12:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Payne
13" of rain?!? now you're bragging....

grin

Well considering I did not have 13" total in 2012 I think that is a total worthy of gloating on a bit banana banana2
Posted By: hoss77

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/29/13 02:46 PM

Originally Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Going to put continuous gutters on it and my parents home at the same time. It has had 12" of rain on it since the roof was put on and ran a lot water like I expected. I am waiting to do it after I put in a road/driveway and yard fence to I can see how the water flows naturally after doing all that.
rain water collect system with all that roof area would be great
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/29/13 02:56 PM

gonna be a nice crib
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/29/13 03:20 PM

That's awesome!! Love it. clap
Posted By: DocBailey

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/29/13 04:30 PM

Looks great so far. My wife has been hounding me to build something like this at our land so she has a place to stay when I/we go hunting. I like your idea and I'm going to have to show her all these pictures of yours.

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/29/13 08:13 PM

Originally Posted By: DocBailey
Looks great so far. My wife has been hounding me to build something like this at our land so she has a place to stay when I/we go hunting. I like your idea and I'm going to have to show her all these pictures of yours.

If you are ever in the Brady area I have a friend that has a really nice build. She would really like it.
Posted By: DocBailey

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/29/13 08:35 PM

Originally Posted By: DocBailey

If you are ever in the Brady area I have a friend that has a really nice build. She would really like it.

I will actually be driving through Brady in the middle of August, I'll PM you if we will have time to swing by and check that out.
Posted By: TX_Huntress

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/29/13 09:12 PM

Looks like it's gonna be really nice.
Posted By: RHAAS90

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/29/13 09:17 PM

You should consider a rainwater collection system... It would signifiacantly reduce your bills and you wouldnt have to worry about your yard and runoff/ drainage as much. Plus there are cost share programs for doing that.

Nice place!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/29/13 09:17 PM

very nice ranchman.

Is it all the same people doing the work? Do you have a cost/sqft figure for just the slab and metal building? Thinking about building a shop at my house 30x40 and starting to do my leg work.

matt

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/29/13 09:27 PM

Originally Posted By: RHAAS90
You should consider a rainwater collection system... It would signifiacantly reduce your bills and you wouldnt have to worry about your yard and runoff/ drainage as much. Plus there are cost share programs for doing that.

Nice place!

I don't do yard work hammer so if I do the gutters I will pipe it to a small wildlife pond close. Being single, my water use from the well is minimal also.

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/29/13 09:32 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
very nice ranchman.

Is it all the same people doing the work? Do you have a cost/sqft figure for just the slab and metal building? Thinking about building a shop at my house 30x40 and starting to do my leg work.

matt

The metal building and slab was just over $17 per square foot. The slab is 30'x92' for an 8'x30' porch with roof. The building is clear span with 12' outside wall height and 16' in center of building. Barn areas has 2 rollup doors and one walkin door. All welded construction. Slab is 5.5" thick with beams 8" minimum width by 18" deep to 30" deep depending on how deep to hit caliche. Slab pour took 100 yards of concrete. Concrete has gone skyhigh here with the EFS and you have to book your pour at least 4 weeks in advance to as much as 6-7 weeks with some companies.

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 07/29/13 09:40 PM

Thank you much sir, in the ballpark of what I was thinking. Hopefully me being a little further removed from the EFS will help me out a bit both on cost and timing.

Cant wait to see your finished product. What your doing is pretty much what our camphouse is at the ranch, but we opted to be tite square heads and are building it ourselves... makes the wheels turn a little slower.
Posted By: lilbear

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 10/21/13 06:52 PM

Any pics of it finished?

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 10/21/13 06:54 PM

Getting close. Will hopefully have it done in 2 weeks. Putting in granite counter tops this week, finishing bathrooms. Then putting in flooring/carpeting and appliances next week. Minor details after that.

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 10/21/13 07:01 PM

It will probably take you another month to hang all your mounts... hell it took me a month or two just to hang 1 grin

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 10/21/13 07:10 PM

Well you are correct since I have over 40 shoulder/life size/pedestal mounts alone...not counting euros and it is deer season...lol
Posted By: texasgal

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 10/21/13 07:33 PM

Looking good and wish I had thought of the plywood on the walls.

I have been living in mine for the last 3 years and even with a couple of issues I love it. Had to get out of the city.

It's great to sit out on the patio and shoot pigs.

Mine is attached to a barn/workshop with a covered shed on the other side. And lots of windows.

Congratulations! You will love it!
Posted By: k-Fletch

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 10/21/13 07:34 PM

STX- Any pics of the finished product?
Posted By: YellowDog

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 10/21/13 07:59 PM

Like to see how you finished out the ceiling
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 10/21/13 08:54 PM

Pretty neat build, you've obviously put alot of fore thought in it.

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 10/21/13 09:14 PM

Originally Posted By: k-Fletch
STX- Any pics of the finished product?

Not totally finsihed yet.
Originally Posted By: YellowDog
Like to see how you finished out the ceiling

Ceiling in living area and kitchen are wood lamiment and the rest of the house area is textured sheetrock.
Originally Posted By: TxAg
Pretty neat build, you've obviously put alot of fore thought in it.

Yes I had seen several of these type metal buildings to see what I wanted. I wanted simple and large enough for me. Also wanted an area large enough to display all my mounts and any new ones I added over time. I also left room in the barn area to expand if needed for a trophy room that is even larger if I wanted to move the mounts out of the living area.

Here are some pics from Sept. that show the faux stucco and ceilings. I also decided to lower the kitchen ceiling to make it not look like a cave. I then decided to put a 5'x14' loft area up there for mounts or whatever I wanted to display. The barnwood in the back of the loft is off of a old chicken house on that my grandparents built back in the late 30's to early 40's. I thought it added a nice touch with some sentimental meaning and value to me. Track lighting is in the living area now. Later on I will get an antler type light fixture for over the dining room area. The cabinets are installed and waiting on granite countertops.
Sorry about the bad pics...I had forgotten I had a filter on the lens.

Posted By: YellowDog

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 10/21/13 09:22 PM

So did you frame out the ceiling for the wood laminate. I see in some of the pictures you sprayed the insulation ton the metal roof. Can't tell how you attached the laminate..

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 10/21/13 11:39 PM

Ran 1x4's across the underside of the roof purlins. Ceiling is attached to them.
Posted By: artrios60

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 10/22/13 12:28 AM

Very nice build going on.
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 10/22/13 12:49 AM

Coming along nice. It looks really good.

Walter
Posted By: Rebel.

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 10/22/13 01:15 AM

Looking better every time I open the thread

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 10/22/13 01:18 AM

Thanks all I will try to get some better pics tomorrow with the cabinets in and some of the other rooms.
Posted By: west-tex

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 10/22/13 01:21 AM

Awesome Place Ranchman flehan
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 10/22/13 01:44 AM

i cant wait for you to finish my room! its gonna be such a fun little weekend place! we will have so much more room for activities and can do karate in the garage!

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 10/22/13 01:50 AM

Lol^^

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 10/22/13 01:54 AM

Very nice progress up

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 10/22/13 02:03 AM

Garage karate? So it's safe to say this is more of a dojo than a home?
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 10/22/13 02:22 AM

fear, does not exist, in this dojo, does it?!!
pain, does not exist, in this dojo, does it?!!

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 10/22/13 02:31 AM

Originally Posted By: jshouse
fear, does not exist, in this dojo, does it?!!
pain, does not exist, in this dojo, does it?!!

Haven't spent much time with old germans have you?

More like how to swallow a penny poop a dime

Or how to thatch an old broom instead of throwing it away
Posted By: WTGuide

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 10/22/13 02:36 AM

Outstanding!
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 10/22/13 02:40 AM

Great looking place STX!!!
Posted By: gollygee

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 10/22/13 02:54 AM

That is so fine! Please keep pics and details coming.
Posted By: Kiko-G

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 10/23/13 02:16 PM

It's looking good, I love the whole concept. I do have a concern... I didn't see any house wrap and that leaves the possibility of water intrusion. I would have installed an envelope system (house wrap and tapes) between the metal sheets and the plywood/OSB, then the blown in insulation and then drywall. Metal cladding moves. It expands and contracts with heat, cold and wind. Fasteners loosen and allow water to come in the wall.
Posted By: AaronM58

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 11/24/13 02:35 AM

Any new pictures? I'd love to see the finished product.

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 11/24/13 02:37 AM

Originally Posted By: AaronM58
Posted By: jlbain94

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 11/24/13 04:42 AM

Agreed. Looking very nice so far! Im sure anyone on this forum would love a place like that.
Posted By: youngnewt

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 11/24/13 12:14 PM

Looks great, I just finished doing similar project. Mine was 30x60. I also did the rainwater collection which I highly recommend.

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 11/24/13 02:26 PM

Originally Posted By: East
Originally Posted By: AaronM58

I will after I get back from hunting Mule Deer and get everything cleaned up and moved in.
Posted By: fireflyandrew

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 09/21/14 01:45 PM

So, how is it?! Any issues? How bout some finished photos!
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 09/21/14 02:49 PM

Add me to the list of those wanting to see the finished house. Especially you trophies on the wall. I'm hoping to start my trophy room in the spring and would love to hear how your walls worked out for hanging all your mounts.

Eddie

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 09/21/14 03:13 PM

Here is an old thread with pics that were added after the start. Just have to look thru the pages.
http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4993813/3
Posted By: ContractorGuy

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 04/08/24 03:24 PM

I'm only stumbling on this thread now, congrats on the progress. Looks great
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 04/08/24 03:47 PM

Holy 10 yr old thread. roflmao

welcome
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 04/08/24 05:01 PM

And the OP's moved since...twice.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 04/08/24 05:16 PM

....HOLY BAT BUMP!

I wonder what the "Then vs Now" construction cost is....
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 04/08/24 08:07 PM

Nice STX thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 04/09/24 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by HuntnFly67
....HOLY BAT BUMP!

I wonder what the "Then vs Now" construction cost is....

He does not want to think about this.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 04/09/24 04:01 PM

Ten years old... Why has a man so knowledgeable who was so active on the forum stayed away? Appreciated the wisdom of STX.
Posted By: freerange

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 04/09/24 04:30 PM

I miss his posts very badly. So much knowledge and so willing to share it. Im confident he will come back.
Posted By: joedav31

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 04/09/24 05:22 PM

free- do you know why he disappeared again? hes doing ok i hope...
Posted By: freerange

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 04/09/24 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by joedav31

A few on here know him better than me. They have said that he is doing fine. Some say hes just real busy and he has stopped posting before for that reason, but has come back. I know the type-hes either all in or all out. Ive described myself as "I dont kinda do anything", so maybe thats it.
I have my theory on why hes stayed away but Ide rather not speculate.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 04/12/24 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by freerange
Originally Posted by joedav31

A few on here know him better than me. They have said that he is doing fine. Some say hes just real busy and he has stopped posting before for that reason, but has come back. I know the type-hes either all in or all out. Ive described myself as "I dont kinda do anything", so maybe thats it.
I have my theory on why hes stayed away but Ide rather not speculate.

My going theory is that he is helping on a very large study incorporating genetics, live capture, and active management looking at whether it is beneficial to shoot yearling spikes in both HF, with native genetic subgroup and a subgroup of improved genetics, and LF, with multiple subgroups based on different sizes land mass and even one large land size subgroup where they introduced improved genetics, with free choice protein and without in each situation, to ultimately determine if the herd genetic pool can be improved and also if those yearling spikes ever reach the full phenotypic potential of their peers in the same age category. Of course all management shooting has to be done with a 6.5CM and only neck shots.

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 04/12/24 02:44 PM

I’ll just correct one of the so many available - high shoulder and not neck.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 04/13/24 12:53 AM

Def tongue in cheek there Hud. A little disappointed you didn’t correct more of the many obvious issues with my projected study. I thought the 6.5CM was such easy low hanging fruit to go right along with the neck shots clap

I do miss reading STX posts here tho. As was mentioned, he is so full of knowledge and had such great pics!

Re: Building a Barndominium (pic heavy) - 04/13/24 01:23 AM

You forgot the 30 something characteristics to judge when aging a buck.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum