Texas Hunting Forum

Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy)

Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/03/13 10:14 PM

Well I thought I would share some pictures from this weekend. I took Erath Kid with me to the Pitchfork Ranch for some spring time scouting and picture taking.

Some Pitchfork Spring Color

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/03/13 10:23 PM

Great pics. The one pic of the old line shack I think I have seen a similar pic that Wyman Meinzer took years ago. I think he stayed in one and trapped on a ranch that had one similar. It could have been that one, but I think it was on the 6666.
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/03/13 10:24 PM

man that is a good looking place up
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/03/13 10:25 PM

Thanks for sharing, beautiful pics.
Posted By: RKHarm24

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/03/13 11:25 PM

Makes for a lazy dazy day!
Posted By: Stub

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/03/13 11:38 PM

Looks like y'all had a good time, see many critters?
By the way, Erath looks like a real wilderness man in that pose laugh
Posted By: HeidelbergJaeger

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/03/13 11:42 PM

lovely scenery
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/03/13 11:46 PM

Great Pics!! Man they say everyone has a twin, Erath looks Identical to a dear friend that passed away a few years ago that owned the E Bar S Ranch in Sunnyvale. Nice place
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/03/13 11:47 PM

great pics and gorgeous place
Posted By: fisher6688

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/03/13 11:52 PM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
Thanks for sharing, beautiful pics.
Posted By: BBD84

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/04/13 12:07 AM

very nice pics, looks great.
Posted By: rjf1911

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/04/13 12:20 AM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
Great Pics!! Man they say everyone has a twin, Erath looks Identical to a dear friend that passed away a few years ago that owned the E Bar S Ranch in Sunnyvale. Nice place

Gene was truly one of a kind!
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/04/13 12:24 AM

Originally Posted By: rjf1911

Gene was truly one of a kind!

Great Man
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/04/13 12:28 AM

Hey, nice bunch of "pitchers". Thanks for sharing. Looks nice and green up that way.
Posted By: chalet

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/04/13 12:29 AM

Thanks for sharing, country out that way is beautiful.
Posted By: My stand is pink camo

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/04/13 01:49 AM

Great pics! You have a great ranch with some really nice terrain and scenery. Looks like a fun time smile
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/04/13 03:13 AM

Looks greener than last time I passed by the Pitchfork.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/04/13 03:17 AM

Lots of history on that ranch and some great deer. Proud to say I've owned a horse or two with that brand, just wish I could of worked them on that country
Posted By: Rebel.

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/04/13 03:36 AM

Nice pics, I love that country
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/04/13 03:42 AM

Great pics up

So how did the scouting go?
Posted By: Lazyman

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/04/13 03:59 AM

great pics..
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/04/13 04:08 AM

Nice place. That is God's Country right there.
Posted By: K-Chap

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/04/13 04:13 AM

Purdy neat
Posted By: father of 4

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/04/13 01:53 PM

Is this the Pitchfork right outside of Guthrie?
Posted By: Doeboy

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/04/13 02:28 PM

On a good day I can see the third pic from my stand,great pics!
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/04/13 02:28 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Great pics. The one pic of the old line shack I think I have seen a similar pic that Wyman Meinzer took years ago. I think he stayed in one and trapped on a ranch that had one similar. It could have been that one, but I think it was on the 6666.
That was the one, Ranchman. It was also in a film called Mcintosh and T.J., the last movie Roy Rogers was in. really cool.

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/04/13 02:31 PM

Sorry to hear about your friend, Sniper. I'm sure he was a great guy and of course EXTREMELY handsome.

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/04/13 02:35 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
Great pics up

Saw a couple of Mulie doe, a few pigs, 6 WT doe. BUNCH OF QUAIL! We heard Quail calling in every direction. Gordon, yes that is the Pitch out of Guthrie, next to 6666 ranch. I've never seen that country as green as it is right now.

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/04/13 02:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Doeboy
On a good day I can see the third pic from my stand,great pics!
The double mountains have lots of history. From the days of the Comancheria to the Buffalo hunters. Still a landmark for that part of west Texas.
Posted By: DocBailey

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/04/13 02:49 PM

Great pictures. It's good to see that area with so much green! My uncle has a ranch over west of Aspermont, the JD Patterson ranch, and his is starting to green up as well! Thanks for sharing!

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/04/13 03:02 PM

Originally Posted By: DocBailey
Great pictures. It's good to see that area with so much green! My uncle has a ranch over west of Aspermont, the JD Patterson ranch, and his is starting to green up as well! Thanks for sharing!
We pass by your uncle's place. He's on the river. What a gamey place he has. TONS of Shinnery on that sandy plateau. We usually see deer in that area. That's kinda' ironic that the ranch across the river from J.D.Patterson is the J.D. Kid ranch.

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/04/13 05:25 PM

Thanks Doc. Yes it is in great shape from a couple gulley washers that they had in the last month. Had a tornado blow several blinds and feeders over but luckily our travel trailer survived. I feel like I know your Uncle as many times as I've passed by his gate for the last 6 years.

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/04/13 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Thanks stxranchman. That line shack has a lot of history. Roy Rogers last movie was filmed there.

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/04/13 05:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Stub

Saw a few mule deer, some white tail, few hogs. Thankful to say for the first time in 3 years saw a lot of quail and heard them calling just about every part of the ranch we were on. The weather was made to order after Friday afternoon. That day was a shock to the system, 105 with the wind blowin out of the south 50 mph. The next morning the cold front had blown in and it was just beautiful the rest of the weekend. Sorry you weren't able to join us.

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/04/13 05:38 PM

Great pics up

Went great. You can always find a new place on ten thousand acres in that country that you get excited about. Even though I've been hunting there for six years now.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/04/13 05:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Great pics up

Went great. You can always find a new place on ten thousand acres in that country that you get excited about. Even though I've been hunting there for six years now.

Pretty sure my problem wouldn't be finding a spot to get excited about...it would be picking one.

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/04/13 05:47 PM

Thanks for all the kind words everybody. I feel very fortunate to be able to hunt and roam around in some of "God's Country".

We've been hunting the ranch for 6 years and I won't ever leave it unless I'm told I have to. We have year round access and guest privilages. Just to be able to go out there with family and friends and enjoy the place is what I cherrish. I look at the hunting as icing on the cake.

I look forward to bringing other forum members that I've had the privilage of getting to know since joining out to the "Pitch" with me as well!
Posted By: Lotto

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/04/13 05:58 PM

Have been very busy and not had a chance to get up to the farm in dumont for a few months. I am surprised seeing it this green in the area. Is it all from recent rain or what..just curious..by the way ..............beautifull pics and I have been able to enjoy all this area since the early 60's..

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/04/13 06:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Lotto
Have been very busy and not had a chance to get up to the farm in dumont for a few months. I am surprised seeing it this green in the area. Is it all from recent rain or what..just curious..by the way ..............beautifull pics and I have been able to enjoy all this area since the early 60's..

I can see from the picture you posted in the "Trans Pecos or Panhandle mule deer?" thread that you have been enjoying the area!

The green is from some really good rains over the last month. I don't know if its becasue the river runs through this part of the ranch or what, but we seem to get good rains when other parts of the county don't, like around Spur for example. Even though we are only ten miles from there, they will stay dry when we get good rains just ten miles away.

The fourth picture down from the top shows part of about 18 thousand acres that was burnt from the summer fires of two years ago. That land used to look similar to the two pictures above it before the fire. We were lucky, the fire only burned about 2 thousand acres of the 10 thousand that we hunt.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/04/13 09:53 PM

Had tractor work Saturday and that thing called a Job to do or I would have been there!

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Originally Posted By: Stub

Saw a few mule deer, some white tail, few hogs. Thankful to say for the first time in 3 years saw a lot of quail and heard them calling just about every part of the ranch we were on. The weather was made to order after Friday afternoon. That day was a shock to the system, 105 with the wind blowin out of the south 50 mph. The next morning the cold front had blown in and it was just beautiful the rest of the weekend. Sorry you weren't able to join us.
Posted By: DocBailey

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/04/13 10:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Erathkid
We pass by your uncle's place. He's on the river. What a gamey place he has. TONS of Shinnery on that sandy plateau. We usually see deer in that area. That's kinda' ironic that the ranch across the river from J.D.Patterson is the J.D. Kid ranch.

Yea he has a TON of wildlife on his ranch, as I'm sure the ranch you went do does as well. It's a very populated area for WT. I get lucky enough to go out and shoot some deer off his place occassionally.

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/04/13 10:09 PM

Doc, you lucky dog!
Posted By: Lotto

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/05/13 02:06 AM

My wife and I have stayed in the place just past the ole scott camp a couple of times when Bob was managing the ranch and got to do quite a bit of scouting and sight seeing. Beautifull place !
Posted By: JohnRussell

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/05/13 12:48 PM

That dang Mike sure does get around! wink

Nice pics!

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/05/13 04:41 PM

Originally Posted By: JohnRussell

Nice pics!
North, South, East and West. I have a map of Texas and I throw a dart blindfolded, wherever it hits that's where I go.

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/05/13 05:42 PM

Originally Posted By: JohnRussell

Nice pics!

Yes he does! LOL!

You ought to come out with us John. Have you ever been to this part of Texas?

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/05/13 05:59 PM

I grew up in slOdessa.. heh.. Graduated from Permian. I used to have a lease in Tulia.. I think that was how it was spelled, so "sorta" up that way.

I'd love to come hang out on someone else's ranch.. lol.. every time I go to my own, it is all work! Hopefully it will be easier when we finish the cabin in a few months, then I just might need to take you up on that offer wink

Keep posting the pics!

Russ

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/05/13 06:44 PM

Sounds good John. So was Permian a power house football program while you went there? I remember them dominating HS football for many years when I was younger.

When you finish up the cabin I'm sure you'll be posting pictures and I'll remind you to get away with us and just enjoy yourself.

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/05/13 06:46 PM

I graduated in 1985, so it was still a powerhouse, I think.. heh

I remember OHS beat them one year and made state. The next year, OHS brings up this banner, "OHS State Champions...a Texas Tradition"

Permian brought up a banner that read, "It takes more than a year to make a tradition" and proceeded to whoop them.. bad.. lol

Anyway, looking forward to it wink Maybe Mike will come back and drink us all under the table;)

Russ

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/05/13 06:49 PM

I'm a trained professional. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT try this at your Deer camp.

Re: Spring on the Pitchfork with Erath Kid (pic heavy) - 06/05/13 06:51 PM

banana
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum