Texas Hunting Forum

Last couple detecting trips

Posted By: maceman

Last couple detecting trips - 05/18/13 03:29 AM

Heres the finds from the last couple trips out with the metal detector. Not pictured are the 12 to 15 wheat pennies or the junk dug.
Posted By: mbavo

Re: Last couple detecting trips - 05/18/13 03:36 AM

man,that is awesome!
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Last couple detecting trips - 05/18/13 03:38 AM

Nice finds!

Re: Last couple detecting trips - 05/18/13 03:42 AM

I have way to many hobbies,lol I will be in Texas next week.
Posted By: Brock77

Re: Last couple detecting trips - 05/18/13 04:24 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Nice finds!
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Last couple detecting trips - 05/18/13 04:26 AM

Really like that liberty in the middle.
Posted By: Clint1128

Re: Last couple detecting trips - 05/18/13 06:08 AM

Awesome stuff ! My grandpa used to make Garrett detectors back years ago .
Posted By: Stub

Re: Last couple detecting trips - 05/18/13 10:52 AM

Nice finds!!
I have thought many times about getting a metal detector, any suggestions?
Posted By: DocBailey

Re: Last couple detecting trips - 05/18/13 02:23 PM

Awesome finds! What are the dates on those coins?

Re: Last couple detecting trips - 05/18/13 03:35 PM

Stub, the ACE 250 made by garrett would be a great starter machine for not alot of money. Doc the indianhead penny is 1901, the mercury dime is a 1935, the buff nickle is a 1935, the walking liberty is a 1943, the rosie is a 1956 and the chauffeur badge is a 1915
Posted By: HuntingTexas

Re: Last couple detecting trips - 05/18/13 03:52 PM

Those are awesome finds. Only thing I ever found were pull tabs. That was using a friends cheap back-up machine. He used a Garrett and did much better than I did lol.

Re: Last couple detecting trips - 05/18/13 03:55 PM

I use Whites detectors but if i was just starting out i would go with the Ace 250, its a good little machine and its only around 200 bucks. They are alot better than any walmart machine!! lol
Posted By: texretvet

Re: Last couple detecting trips - 05/18/13 04:33 PM

Very nice!
Posted By: slimjim

Re: Last couple detecting trips - 05/18/13 07:46 PM

Nice finds! What kind of site was this?

Stub,

If you are able to spend the extra dough on a good detector then do it. My reasoning behind that is you will always wonder if you missed stuff with the cheaper one. I'm not saying to go out and spend a grand. I use a whites MXT and it has treated me well. You will also save yourself a lot of time with the better discrimination. I picked it up used with two extra coils and some other accessories for $500. If you get a used one from a trusted source, you can always resell it if you find you don't like the hobby!
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Last couple detecting trips - 05/18/13 08:49 PM

My home and barn has been used literally since the late 1800's. I found some metal detector folks about a month and worked out a 50-50 split on the finds. After about 1 hour, they quit and said they never found anything but I'm pretty sure they didn't know what they were doing.

Re: Last couple detecting trips - 05/18/13 09:01 PM

Either they didn't know what they were doing, or were only interested in digging really good signals.

Metal detectors are very good at discriminating between Silver and other metals. Not so good at discriminating between gold and aluminum pull tabs. The guys that find the best stuff usually have 1 gallon jugs at their house full of pull tabs because they go through the trouble of digging all the signals.

I go detecting areas that I have already been to multiple times in the past and still find cool stuff. You never get it all.

What I can't stand is these people that watch that Savage family diggers show and think you can go out for a couple of hours on the weekend and make good money from your finds....This hobby is hard work! And besides the silver I have found, I've seldom come up with much that would be worth anything other than the coolness factor.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Last couple detecting trips - 05/18/13 09:07 PM

They both told me they were new to this. Just figured they would have found something. It watched them the whole time too. Just didn't see much digging.
Posted By: WBT

Re: Last couple detecting trips - 05/19/13 04:24 AM

I love the walking 50 cent piece
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Last couple detecting trips - 05/19/13 11:40 PM

That's really cool. I just had a small pasture (about 6 acres) turned over that hasn't been farmed in probably 150 years. My place is part of one of the old Spanish land grants and was once part of a small village. I'd like to pick up a machine and go through it before planting.
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Last couple detecting trips - 05/19/13 11:56 PM

nice

Re: Last couple detecting trips - 05/20/13 01:43 AM

That would be cool to see what you could find Slow Drifter. You might eyeball some artifacts after a rain, i know it dont rain in Texas but you could always hope!! LOL
Posted By: DocBailey

Re: Last couple detecting trips - 05/20/13 03:38 PM

Originally Posted By: maceman
Stub, the ACE 250 made by garrett would be a great starter machine for not alot of money. Doc the indianhead penny is 1901, the mercury dime is a 1935, the buff nickle is a 1935, the walking liberty is a 1943, the rosie is a 1956 and the chauffeur badge is a 1915

That's awesome, nice finds!

Re: Last couple detecting trips - 05/20/13 05:59 PM

Thanks Doc

Re: Last couple detecting trips - 05/20/13 09:27 PM

Originally Posted By: maceman
That would be cool to see what you could find Slow Drifter. You might eyeball some artifacts after a rain, i know it dont rain in Texas but you could always hope!! LOL

Yep, it doesn't rain much here! We have had a couple good gully-washers since the place was turned over. (thoughts and prayers to our neighbors to the North who got more than just rain the last few days) I have a coupla' friends at work with detectors. I may have to either invite them out or borrow a machine. Really don't want to by one just for this. On a plot this size, would one recommend staking and stringing "plots" to ensure full coverage with minimal overlap? I was thinking of 100x100 foot plots and running one a day every evening for a while.

Re: Last couple detecting trips - 05/20/13 09:44 PM

Slow Drifter,

Where are you located?

Re: Last couple detecting trips - 05/20/13 09:53 PM

Just south of Waco.

Re: Last couple detecting trips - 05/21/13 01:20 AM

just go slow and overlap your sweeps and you can run it one direction say east to west then go back across it north and south, you might be suprised what you can miss.

Re: Last couple detecting trips - 05/21/13 09:10 PM

OK, got the go-ahead from a guy at work to borrow a nice machine for a couple weekends. I'll let y'all know what/if I find anything.
Posted By: varmintslayer

Re: Last couple detecting trips - 05/22/13 12:47 AM

I've got to get me a machine. If anyone has a tip for the best bang for your buck I'd sure appreciate it! Great finds by the way!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum