little prarie rattler

Posted By: mbavo

little prarie rattler - 04/29/13 12:15 AM

4-28-13 143 by shannabav, on Flickr

4-28-13 147 by shannabav, on Flickr

4-28-13 168 by shannabav, on Flickr
Posted By: passthru

Re: little prarie rattler - 04/29/13 12:16 AM

Nice. Show us the next one with no head.
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: little prarie rattler - 04/29/13 12:29 AM

Great picture, and I hope it is alive
Posted By: My stand is pink camo

Re: little prarie rattler - 04/29/13 12:48 AM

He doesn't look "little" but anyway very coolpics
Love seeing pictures of these guys, or seeing them FROM A DISTANCE. They scare me but they are beautiful creatures!
Posted By: woodwzrd1010

Re: little prarie rattler - 04/29/13 12:54 AM

rifle
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: little prarie rattler - 04/29/13 01:23 AM

Really nice pics!
Posted By: Navasot

Re: little prarie rattler - 04/29/13 01:29 AM

Cool little rattlers never got to see one
Posted By: Kae006

Re: little prarie rattler - 04/29/13 01:30 AM

First picture is killer!
Posted By: Fat Tire

Re: little prarie rattler - 04/29/13 01:40 AM

He looks ready to go in that second pic.
Posted By: Stub

Re: little prarie rattler - 04/29/13 02:06 AM

Very cool pictures up
Posted By: NDN98

Re: little prarie rattler - 04/29/13 02:14 AM

nasty little guys
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: little prarie rattler - 04/29/13 02:24 AM

Very cool pics.
Posted By: shock_n_awe

Re: little prarie rattler - 04/29/13 03:45 AM

Yikes!
Posted By: jono7183

Re: little prarie rattler - 04/29/13 03:47 AM

those are very cool pics!
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: little prarie rattler - 04/29/13 04:50 AM

Cool pics, they are beautiful but dangerous creatures. Prairie rattlers don't seem to be as numerous as they used to be in west Texas. I'm sure someone will chime in otherwise. As a matter of fact, I've seen less snakes, of all species in the last couple of years.
Posted By: shane87

Re: little prarie rattler - 04/29/13 06:02 AM

Awesome

Re: little prarie rattler - 04/29/13 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Erathkid
Cool pics, they are beautiful but dangerous creatures. Prairie rattlers don't seem to be as numerous as they used to be in west Texas. I'm sure someone will chime in otherwise. As a matter of fact, I've seen less snakes, of all species in the last couple of years.

I agree with ya Erathkid. They are beautiful! ....from a distance! Ha ha. Love seeing pictures of them. These pictures are awesome!!! We are seeing less diamondbacks and more and more copperheads at our ranch. Copperheads are beautiful too but can't let copperheads hang around
Posted By: DocBailey

Re: little prarie rattler - 04/29/13 02:44 PM

cool pics

Re: little prarie rattler - 04/29/13 11:19 PM

Thanks for the comments. To answer a few questions: this little guy was only about 1' long and I did not kill him. I thought he had an awesome pattern on him.
Posted By: Texsun

Re: little prarie rattler - 04/29/13 11:22 PM

Wow! He posed perfect for you! great pics!

Re: little prarie rattler - 04/30/13 01:44 AM

So cool. So tell us more! After you saw him and took the first pic did he cuddle up and pose for the 3rd pic. Just very curious of these guys and wonder if they are passive or agressive. From my personal experiences they are passive if ya leave them alone, but will stand their ground if aggitated. Want to learn!!!
Posted By: ckat

Re: little prarie rattler - 04/30/13 03:06 AM

Originally Posted By: My stand is pink camo
So cool. So tell us more! After you saw him and took the first pic did he cuddle up and pose for the 3rd pic. Just very curious of these guys and wonder if they are passive or agressive. From my personal experiences they are passive if ya leave them alone, but will stand their ground if aggitated. Want to learn!!!

Every prairie that I have been around have had major attitudes!!! To me, the diamondbacks are generally pretty passive - good thing or I would have been bitten several times as a kid.

Re: little prarie rattler - 04/30/13 03:07 AM

He was stretched out sunning in the middle of the road. I got out to take pics. When I got to close he headed for cover across the road. I cut him off and he turned back to go the other way. I got in front of him again to stop him. I then waved my foot over him and he struck at me and got in a defensive posture. I took a few more pics, then he curled up pretty tight. I took a few more pics then left him alone. He was not aggressive until I blocked his escape route for the second time and waved my foot over him.
Posted By: norm762

Re: little prarie rattler - 04/30/13 03:15 AM

Very nice pics.

Re: little prarie rattler - 04/30/13 03:23 AM

Thanks for sharing ckat! Good to know!

Great story mbavo! In my experience rattlers will flee when given the chance. Given the chance is the key to safety!!! Glad you got some really cool pics and a nice story to go along with it, and glad you didn't get bit even though he did strike when provoked. Anyway, great photos for sure! Post more pics if you can smile
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum