Texas Hunting Forum

How I sharpen a bunch of knives

Posted By: Jason Fry

How I sharpen a bunch of knives - 04/11/13 04:40 PM

One of the less-fun parts of the knifemaking process is sharpening a whole bunch of knives at once. I've been busting my tail for the show, and have 15 to sharpen today.

Here's a picture set about how I sharpen a bunch of knives at one time. If you're going to do a bunch, you need a system. I have these knives set out on an ironing board smile Each is set beside the sheath it goes with. They're all pointed the same direction. As I move one off the grinder at a stage, I flip it over. That way if I have to walk away, I know where I am in the process.

I use trizact belts on my grinder to cut the initial bevel. 160 for the first cut, then 400 before I go to the stones. If the light is right, you can see the burr form on each grit if you have it right.

After all of the knives have been done on the grinder up to 400, I move to the stones. I set them in my vise, so the hight is comfortable and the base is stable. I use 600 then 1000 stones, then strop. I also check the sharpness on my ankles or shoulders, so that my forearms aren't bald. Tricks of the trade smile
Posted By: cameron00

Re: How I sharpen a bunch of knives - 04/11/13 05:03 PM

Is that ironboard cover for sale?
Posted By: J.G.

Re: How I sharpen a bunch of knives - 04/11/13 05:13 PM

Originally Posted By: cameron00
Is that ironboard cover for sale?

Bwaahahahaha!

OP, thanks for the post. I've been making a few knives of late and I can use all the tips I can get.
Posted By: DiverTexas

Re: How I sharpen a bunch of knives - 04/11/13 05:16 PM

You are going to have some really beauties for the show.
Great sharpening routine.
Posted By: skeeter22

Re: How I sharpen a bunch of knives - 04/11/13 05:17 PM

Jason, does the grinder heat up the blades enough to make a difference in the temper?
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: How I sharpen a bunch of knives - 04/11/13 05:18 PM

Looks like you have all the kinks ironed out on your sharpening routine. grin You have any individual pics of those knives. Some great looking work in the few I can see.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: How I sharpen a bunch of knives - 04/11/13 06:14 PM

I bet I could severely screw a knife up with that equipment!

Looks good though.
Posted By: Jason Fry

Re: How I sharpen a bunch of knives - 04/11/13 06:38 PM

LOL on the ironing board cover. Yes it was for sale, Walmart, 1998.

As far as ruining the temper of the edge... several things to say about that. Yes, you can absolutely ruin a knife at this stage. I've sharpened a couple hundred blades this way, so I have the technique down so I can do it without ruining them. The secret is slow speed on the grinder and light pressure on the knife. Heat is your enemy. Slow grinder, light pressure equals less heat.

As far as "I bet I could severely screw a knife up," so could I. I sharpen when I'm fresh, awake, alert, attentive. This is the very last step before they go out the door, and it totally stinks to have to fix things at this stage.

As far as individual pictures, I have posted them on this board as I finshed them over the past few weeks. Also, I've consolidated the knives for the show into a single page on my website, which you can get to through my signature line.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: How I sharpen a bunch of knives - 04/11/13 07:50 PM

Better chance to cut yourself.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: How I sharpen a bunch of knives - 04/11/13 09:21 PM

Quote:
I also check the sharpness on my ankles or shoulders, so that my forearms aren't bald. Tricks of the trade

I went to slicing paper so I don't have bald forearms. laugh

Nice set up!
Posted By: barndoor

Re: How I sharpen a bunch of knives - 04/11/13 09:47 PM

Wow. You take knife sharpening serious.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: How I sharpen a bunch of knives - 04/11/13 10:00 PM

Thanks for showing us how its done.
Posted By: shock_n_awe

Re: How I sharpen a bunch of knives - 04/11/13 10:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Thanks for showing us how its done.

X2
Posted By: billybob

Re: How I sharpen a bunch of knives - 04/12/13 02:00 AM

You have hair on your ankles and shoulders? I need to start taking testosterone. loco_too
Posted By: Kimber1911

Re: How I sharpen a bunch of knives - 04/12/13 02:14 AM

Originally Posted By: MikeC
Quote:
I also check the sharpness on my ankles or shoulders, so that my forearms aren't bald. Tricks of the trade

I went to slicing paper so I don't have bald forearms. laugh

Nice set up!

Lol
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum