Texas Hunting Forum

Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber

Posted By: caldwelldeerhunter

Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 11/30/12 04:05 AM

Let me know what you think and be honest. I wont get upset or argue I want your opnions on how the mount looks.

Posted By: 338ultra

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 11/30/12 04:30 AM

For being done in a months time, it looks pretty dang good.
Posted By: wildsidetaxi

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 11/30/12 04:34 AM

That looks really good. It is possible for taxi's to finish a mount in a month or less. Just depends on how much work they have going on. Buck looks good. Congrats on your trophy!
Posted By: Chasing Bone

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 11/30/12 04:35 AM

Maybe it is just the pictures but does his mouth look really narrow. And where in the world did you get it done in a month? Looks pretty good every where else though. Like I said it may just be the pictures.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 11/30/12 04:37 AM

Looks good to me
Posted By: Deer Junky

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 11/30/12 04:45 AM

What a stud! The detail is all there, nice lines on the neck, nice coloring on the ear tips. up
Originally Posted By: Chasing Bone
Maybe it is just the pictures but does his mouth look really narrow.
CB, I had the same thought. I would think the 'dermist would have to shave the styrofoam down to accomplish that, which would seem to be a deliberate action--i.e., maybe that was the actual size of the deer's nose/mouth, and that was necessary to tuck the lips into the mouthline on the form...?? Either way, it's still done extremely well. Good job Caldwelldeerhunter!
Posted By: txvarminter

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 11/30/12 04:46 AM

Never seen the ears facing both ways before not sure I like it but that would be a personal preference thing.

His nose and jaw line look like he's sucking on a lemon to me scratch

Just My .02
Posted By: Pastor Josh

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 11/30/12 05:20 AM

Big buck with a nice rack.

If I knew how much you paid for the mount that might determine my opinion of the look of the mount.

If you paid a dirt cheap price, you got a good deal.

If you paid good money, you got jobbed.

But again, real nice buck that I would love to have one that big on my office wall.
Posted By: Chris/HOU

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 11/30/12 05:26 AM

Looks good except that lower jaw...seems off to me.
Posted By: gbeard

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 11/30/12 05:37 AM

Minus the tanning and drying time it only takes about 6 hours to mount and paint a deer. It usually takes so long because most taxidermists have a tone of heads in at one time. Good looking mount!!
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 11/30/12 05:42 AM

Caldwell, I like the horns but am not a big fan of the ears, or head especially around the base of the horns. The head looks disproportionate to the horns, kind of pronghorn looking. They may have used the wrong mould. Great horns though, is that the one in your signature line?
Posted By: BBD84

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 11/30/12 05:42 AM

I cant find anything I dont like besides the nose and jaw looks to narrow like others have said but good mucles and face deffinition for sure.
Posted By: Deer Junky

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 11/30/12 06:00 AM

btw- i really like the ears. It's like he just heard something behind him that was only "half interesting"
Posted By: rebeltex

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 11/30/12 06:24 AM

caldwell, man I think that is a good looking mount, my next deer is going to have the open shoulder like that, looks good!
Posted By: erniejs

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 11/30/12 01:44 PM

nice rack
Posted By: tboyde

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 11/30/12 01:48 PM

Looks like he got in to something sour...
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 11/30/12 01:56 PM

Nice buck. To me the mount is pretty good except the mouth appears a little "off".
Posted By: TopGunOchez

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 11/30/12 01:58 PM

Originally Posted By: txvarminter
Never seen the ears facing both ways before not sure I like it but that would be a personal preference thing.

His nose and jaw line look like he's sucking on a lemon to me scratch

Just My .02

X2
Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 11/30/12 02:30 PM

Nice buck, looks a little thin in the face especially the lower jaw.
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 11/30/12 03:30 PM

Ears and muscles in neck looks very natural to me. I never like an alert pose, your pose is how a buck looks normally. Mouth is a little weird.
Posted By: Texas Heat

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 11/30/12 03:43 PM

Posted By: BOONER

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 11/30/12 03:44 PM

Great deer!! Mount not so great.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 11/30/12 03:53 PM

I dont care for the mounts with all the definition and lines in the cape.

The nose/mouth looks reall skiny, and his forhead looks like a giraffe.

Awsome big 8pt. Congrats on your deer again. This is what scares me about picking a taxi. I know im gonna step on some toes, because I have a friend that recently started doing taxidermy and this is why Im not getting him to do mine and I think im gonna ruffle feathers by doing so.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 11/30/12 04:02 PM

as others have pointed out, the lower jaw looks a little funny.

deers rack look bigger compared to the pics you showed us when you shot the buck, thats a big 8 point.

I like the ears being positioned at different angles, I had mine done the same way, it looks more realistic

BTW, this is a good example of proper taxidermy.

Posted By: Kenny Powers

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 11/30/12 04:20 PM

Looks great to me but ive only seen a million of them.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 11/30/12 04:22 PM

First let me start out by saying you shot an outstanding buck.
Now for the hard part.
First - I don't much care for the positioning of the ears. I have seen this before with mounts but it's not for me.
Second - The hide is covering the burrs around the buck’s bases. To me it takes away from the buck’s natural look of the rack.
Third - The upper part of the buck’s nose looks fine. But the bottom part of the jaw from the nose to the bottom of the eye looks to be missing its natural mass. It is almost like you shot the lower jaw off and your taxi tried to reconstruct it.

Caldwell... With all this being said. If your happy with your buck and mount that’s all that matters!!!
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 11/30/12 05:00 PM

Great buck, but have to agree the nose and mouth look like a pronghorn.
Posted By: changedmyname

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 11/30/12 05:14 PM

I'm not a fan of the mount. Would disappoint me greatly to pay for that.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 12/01/12 02:59 AM

The side view looks better but the forehead looks kind of protruding in the frontal view. . I have seen a lot worse though
Posted By: ccogdill

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 12/01/12 03:04 AM

Nice
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 12/01/12 03:05 AM

up
Posted By: TnT Taxidermist

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 12/01/12 03:29 AM

That's a good looking buck, but I think the skull cap was positioned to high on the mold and the taxi didn't use enough clay to fill out the face and jaw lines, I think he just stuck it on the mold and called it good. This is wher wit always helps to have field pics of Uluru trophy for your taxidermist to use as reference material.
Posted By: Southtexas36

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 12/01/12 04:03 AM

Nice mount and great buck
Posted By: 5Redman8

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 12/01/12 04:26 AM

Looks like his nose is swollen and he just ate a lime. Mouth and jaws look puckered.
Posted By: Anew

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 12/01/12 04:29 AM

I think it looks really nice. It's a awsome buck bigger then anything I ever shot.

But sense you said that did you mean to have the ears facing different ways?
Posted By: Auctioneer1

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 12/01/12 04:24 PM

Nice deer but you said be honest you got screwed I would be pissed!!
Posted By: Fullt225

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 12/01/12 04:32 PM

Lots of opinions and comments. Don't take any the wrong way. The mount from the pictures looks pretty good.

What every one needs to realize is that not ALL animals are created equal. Lots of factors work into the mount- Long snouts, short snouts, long ears, thin coat, heavy coats, on and on.

Ears are always a preference. the only time you see a deer with the same ear position is when the are startled or at alert. If that's what you like tell the taxidermist and they mount them that way, but that's not the norm.

I like the one about the jaw being missing. All deer are mounted on a pre-manufactured form and NO bones are ever left on a mount,only skin. the Form has the eye sockets,nostrils, mouth, Skull pocket and details molded in. Some modifications may have to be made to the form for snout length, but overall there are 100's of different size forms available to choose from. Measurements for the neck, nose to eye are very critical and should be recorded. The taxidermist cuts out some of those areas to accept the skin or to mount the eyes with a little clay build up work at the nose and eyelids.

The only concern that you should have is if the skin was mounted using a dry preservative or Tanned. The dry method will tend to shrink and crack in a few years.

There's one other thought--It might have even been Freeze Dried, the whole head.
Posted By: Hogslayer5L

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 12/01/12 04:35 PM

Great buck but the way he covered the antler bases with its cape is not the right way to do it and makes it look off. The jaw is too pointy and tight looking. The ears I have no problem with. Id be pissed about the bases though.
Posted By: pokerj2

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 12/01/12 07:23 PM

So whats the story on it. Your first attempt or something?
Posted By: OneBuckTwoBuck

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 12/01/12 07:30 PM

The nose and jaw shape look like an antelope a little.

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 12/01/12 09:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Anew
But sense you said that did you mean to have the ears facing different ways?

i've noticed several comments on this.

this is becomming more and more common for taxidermists to do this, it adds a bit more realism to the mounts
Posted By: ParkCountyElkDestroyer

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 12/01/12 09:13 PM

who mounted it?
Posted By: Hunter_812

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 12/01/12 09:23 PM

^^^^it has been posted on the taxidermy board
Posted By: rrrat

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 12/01/12 10:58 PM

Nice buck
Posted By: FamousAmos

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 12/01/12 11:41 PM

I think it looks GREAT!
Posted By: caldwelldeerhunter

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 12/02/12 05:11 AM

Originally Posted By: pokerj2
So whats the story on it. Your first attempt or something?

No, a great taxidermist mounted this for me, but I have never seen one look this way so wanted some opinions. Said he mounted this as if it was a competition mount not a standard mount like most are used to seeing. So I am guessing there is allot more detail into this mount, the jaw being one of them. I appreciate all of your opinions. Like I stated I wont get mad I just wanted some honesty. I felt the same way about the jaw and mouth and didn't know if it was just me or not, I have not seen a jaw look this way but I guess in competitions they do.
Posted By: garrettd

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 12/03/12 03:23 PM

the onlything that looks a little off to me is where the antlers meet the skull it looks to be a little high idk if he didnt mould the manican well for the cap or if thats just how the deer looked in real life either way i would be proud to have it on my wall
Posted By: garrettd

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 12/03/12 03:26 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

deers rack look bigger compared to the pics you showed us when you shot the buck, thats a big 8 point.

I like the ears being positioned at different angles, I had mine done the same way, it looks more realistic

not to be rude but why does it look like it has an inflamed lymph node sticking out of its neck is that just the angle?

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 12/03/12 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By: garrettd
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

not to be rude but why does it look like it has an inflamed lymph node sticking out of its neck is that just the angle?

lol,

bad angle + bad light+ iphone camera
Posted By: sneakycastro

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 12/03/12 04:27 PM

great deer!
Posted By: drqtn

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 12/03/12 09:25 PM

Nice buck!!
Posted By: Jason@moderntaxidermy

Re: Got my mount back. Got my deer in October and here it is Novermber - 12/04/12 03:58 PM

Guys keep talking about the horn burrs, and hair being above them. I see deer this way every year when we skin them most are not but several are with longer hair. With that said im sure this deer was like that and the taxi mounted the deer just like it was. Overall this mount looks good, mouth and jaw have a ton of detail some people like it and some don't.I myself dont care for the look but if customer wants it he gets it. I do like the detail in the neck and shoulders.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum