Texas Hunting Forum

The rut in Palo Pinto county Tx.

Posted By: TX35

The rut in Palo Pinto county Tx. - 11/21/12 03:16 PM

Alright Gentlemen, I guess I need some information. I have been told that the rut is on in this part of Texas (Palo Pinto). Now, it is my limited understanding, that when does go into heat, they push off their little ones from the previous year, correct?? So, if the rut is truly going on, then what the heck is going on in this picture?? I see 2 or 3 does, with 2 yearlings...... BTW, they are all scarfing down the acorns my 6 yr. old Son & I poured out in the pen!
Thanks!!!

Posted By: LandPirate

Re: The rut in Palo Pinto county Tx. - 11/21/12 03:48 PM

I seem to remember reading a study back in college (late 80's) that does bunch up in multi-generational groups. They can kick last year's fawn off the teet but still run together.
Posted By: vanndchi

Re: The rut in Palo Pinto county Tx. - 11/21/12 04:08 PM

In that section of Texas, you should be on the backside of the peak rut. TPWD estimates that the 16th of November is the peak of the rut. Most of those does have stained tarsal glands, and could very well have been already bred.

I would stay close to those does, and I'll be a nice buck will inspect. They will be checking.

Those deer have been breeding for 3-4 weeks, so the bucks are probably pretty worn out.
Posted By: AdvTX

Re: The rut in Palo Pinto county Tx. - 11/21/12 04:24 PM

I've noticed a lot of times after the rut does hair is all messed up and everyone of those looks perfect
Posted By: TXHogger

Re: The rut in Palo Pinto county Tx. - 11/21/12 06:35 PM

Originally Posted By: AdvTX
I've noticed a lot of times after the rut does hair is all messed up and everyone of those looks perfect

and smoking a cig? roflmao

sad to hear if it is post rut. i missed it then. there wasn't crap out there when i was out.
Posted By: BUD MAN

Re: The rut in Palo Pinto county Tx. - 11/21/12 08:48 PM

Just got back from my lease in Palo Pinto and I personally do not think that we've hit the peak of the rut yet. I've been hunting since the bow opener and have not seen any real signs that would lead me to believe otherwise. A full moon and some cooler temps should kick it off.
Posted By: SmallTownHunter

Re: The rut in Palo Pinto county Tx. - 11/21/12 09:27 PM

Originally Posted By: BUD MAN
Just got back from my lease in Palo Pinto and I personally do not think that we've hit the peak of the rut yet. I've been hunting since the bow opener and have not seen any real signs that would lead me to believe otherwise. A full moon and some cooler temps should kick it off.

I agree I saw 17 doe sunday morning hunt and not one buck chasing any of them been like that all season and the does are in groups of 2-10 wich makes me think it hasnt started full swing yet either
Posted By: BIGTEN 155 7/8

Re: The rut in Palo Pinto county Tx. - 11/22/12 01:01 AM

I have some first hand info that the rut in Kansas was two to three weeks late would make sense that the rut here is running late too.Maybe?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum