Texas Hunting Forum

weekend story and age this deer

Posted By: blancobuster

weekend story and age this deer - 10/30/12 02:43 AM

Well Friday night headed to the lease, got settled to try and take a doe and the pigs roll in. I stuck the biggest one broadside from 35 and watch it run away with my arrow stuck in it. Found no trace of blood and no arrow as I followed the trail down the hill, oh well. Dead pig is a dead pig I guess, but it would have been my first pig with a bow and it ran off with about a 15 dollar arrow in it. We pulled this picture off the camera, first and only picture of him. I think he is 4.5 what does THF say? I think he is mature but could if he could make it one more year he would be a legit trophy lf hill country buck.

trapped this pregnant girl and set a game cam up on her carcass. We have had a lot of coyotes calling right next door every night at 6:30 for the first time in a while this year and have never set up game cameras on a gut pile/carcass so I am interested to see what we get pictures of. Just got my call back from foxpro so I would love to get a few yotes

Re: weekend story and age this deer - 10/30/12 02:44 AM

by the way that feeder is way taller than a normal feeder, it has an extra leg extension on each leg to keep it to high for the cows
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: weekend story and age this deer - 10/30/12 02:49 AM

He has the neck and shoulders of a 4 yr old but his hock is small and not stained much at all more like a 3 yr old. I would call him a 4 yr old at least though. Nice looking buck!

Re: weekend story and age this deer - 10/30/12 02:57 AM

I wondered about that too, wish we got a picture of him from the front to see width but he has great mass compared to what we see most years...hope he sticks around. I don't think I will pull the trigger this year but I would love to see my Dad get him.
Posted By: curt o

Re: weekend story and age this deer - 10/30/12 03:06 AM

Good looking 10.
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: weekend story and age this deer - 10/30/12 03:28 AM

Looks like he has the neck of a 4 yr old, but body of a 3, hard to tell.
Posted By: NEVAGA

Re: weekend story and age this deer - 10/30/12 03:30 AM

IDK but is a nice deer
Posted By: texasspazzman

Re: weekend story and age this deer - 10/30/12 03:43 AM

I'm gonna say 4.5yr old. Fantastic main beams, especially for a hill country deer. Those beams and decent tine length will add up to a solid 140"+
I don't what part of the hill country you hunt in, but I would have a hard time letting him walk..
Posted By: Troutfisch

Re: weekend story and age this deer - 10/30/12 05:24 AM

Originally Posted By: texasspazzman
I'm gonna say 4.5yr old. Fantastic main beams, especially for a hill country deer. Those beams and decent tine length will add up to a solid 140"+
I don't what part of the hill country you hunt in, but I would have a hard time letting him walk..

Agreed, he's a stud for a free-ranging hill country buck!

Yes he might live another year and become a "legit trophy lf hill country buck", but that's a risk you have to be willing to take (for me that would depend upon the hunting pressure in your area). Good luck to you this season!
Posted By: East

Re: weekend story and age this deer - 10/30/12 01:05 PM

Big ole fat sow, nice buck
Posted By: rtp

Re: weekend story and age this deer - 10/30/12 01:27 PM

Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: weekend story and age this deer - 10/30/12 01:30 PM

Originally Posted By: blancobuster
I wondered about that too, wish we got a picture of him from the front to see width but he has great mass compared to what we see most years...hope he sticks around. I don't think I will pull the trigger this year but I would love to see my Dad get him.

He is a dang nice hill country buck. I'm with you on not wanting to pull the trigger on him this year. Give that guy one more year and he will be a hill country GIANT!!!
Posted By: B_Bop77

Re: weekend story and age this deer - 10/30/12 03:06 PM

Is this around San Marcos?
Posted By: 007hunter

Re: weekend story and age this deer - 10/30/12 03:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Troutfisch
Originally Posted By: texasspazzman

Agreed, he's a stud for a free-ranging hill country buck!

Yes he might live another year and become a "legit trophy lf hill country buck", but that's a risk you have to be willing to take (for me that would depend upon the hunting pressure in your area). Good luck to you this season!

This ^^^^^^^^
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: weekend story and age this deer - 10/30/12 03:22 PM

4.5+ IMO

Great looking buck
Posted By: Navasot

Re: weekend story and age this deer - 10/30/12 03:33 PM

Re: weekend story and age this deer - 10/30/12 04:20 PM

3 sides of us no hunting, blanco county
Posted By: EastTexasHag

Re: weekend story and age this deer - 10/30/12 04:34 PM

I'm not to good on aging bucks, but he is mature for sure. He'd be a trophy for me. Good you caught the sow before she popped. You would have had several more pigs to deal with.
Posted By: DXB

Re: weekend story and age this deer - 10/30/12 04:50 PM

Great buck!
Posted By: WTGuide

Re: weekend story and age this deer - 10/30/12 06:15 PM

4.5....probably won't make it 5 if he's free range so might as well be you that gets him
Posted By: BowMan59

Re: weekend story and age this deer - 10/30/12 07:17 PM

4.5 maybe 5 , no mass, short 1's and 4's, gonna be in the mid to upper 130's max! Shoot him now or your neighbor will.

Re: weekend story and age this deer - 10/30/12 08:50 PM

whats the quote, if you shoot him because your neighbor will, then you are that neighbor...

we feed protein and have water nearby. Deer on our property tend to stay close even older ones during rut
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: weekend story and age this deer - 10/30/12 10:00 PM

Nice buck. He'd be tough to pass on, but yes, if you can, next year he will be a STUD!
Posted By: Cody Malone

Re: weekend story and age this deer - 10/30/12 11:56 PM

Sweet
Posted By: allstarfisherman

Re: weekend story and age this deer - 11/06/12 09:26 PM

Nice!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum