Texas Hunting Forum

Dang red wasp!!

Posted By: kagomez85

Dang red wasp!! - 07/01/12 10:54 PM

I have never been stung by a red wasp until now little bastard tagged me twice once in the neck and once in my arm. Is it normal to swell up like this

Posted By: BMD

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/01/12 10:56 PM

I don't swell like that when I have been stung.

Posted By: East

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/01/12 10:56 PM

When I get hit, I throw up for 4-5 hours, then pass out for 7-8. Take some benadryl (sp) and enjoy the fact you can actually take a pic of it.

Posted By: East

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/01/12 10:57 PM

On a second note, I was feeding the horses today and opened the bin and 2 flew out. I looked like a uptight valley girl running out of the barn. rofl

Posted By: mbavo

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/01/12 10:58 PM

That sucks,you might take some Benadryl. I got stung by a tarantula killer a couple of days ago, on the end of my finger, hurt like a s.o.b.

Posted By: TxLobo

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/01/12 11:03 PM

Ouch! Have you ever been stung by a bee or other kind of wasp before to know if you're allergic to their sting or not? I'd go and get checked out if the swelling continues or you develop any other symptoms. Be safe.

Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/01/12 11:06 PM

I have never been stung by the red ones. I get them stirred up when I am mowing though and usually try and run them over when they land on the fresh cut grass smile

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/01/12 11:10 PM

This happened yesterday i feel fine but the swelling has me a little concerned, the sting on my neck just looks like a skeeter bite

Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/01/12 11:13 PM

My dad had a bumble bee stinger stuck in the backside of his neck. He had always had a knot there as long as I could remember.

Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/01/12 11:14 PM

I remember taking a very short nap in a blind and waking to one of those darn wasps hoovering in the window. I thought it was a small copter! Hate those things

Posted By: BBD84

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/01/12 11:17 PM

ouch

Posted By: pokerj2

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/01/12 11:18 PM

Take a vagisil and a bennedryl it will be ok. B972 says thats the best remedy around

Posted By: Southtexas36

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/01/12 11:26 PM

That looks pretty bad, I second the benadryl

Kind of reminds me about a time in the stand. I noticed about 25 or 30 yellow jackets under the chair when I got in, it was pretty cold so I didn't worry about it. Well about 8:30 the sun starts warming up down in the S Texas brush and 1 of those nasty little boogers decides to fly out from under the chair, kind of half drunk and decides to land on the top of my hand and makes an immediate escape up my sleeve. After thinking about options I decided one swift slap to where I could feel him should do the trick and maybe one sting, I had conceded the sting part by now. Well I was wrong, the first hit just hacked him off and it stung me all the way up my arm until I was able to get the shirt off.

I'll save the killer bee story for another time.

Posted By: MikeC

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/02/12 01:36 AM

They don't swell me up but if my wife or oldest son gets hit they swell up pretty good. Usually Benedryl does the trick for them.

Posted By: KC

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/02/12 01:52 AM

I had one hit me on the elbow about three weeks ago while I was cleaning up a box blind. It swelled about the size of an egg and was sore for 3-4 days, but I'm glad to say I lived. He and the rest of his little wasp family did not. Two cans of wasp spray followed by a Bic lighter just to get the point across...

Posted By: aggiehunter03

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/02/12 02:13 AM

I have been stung many times by yellow jackets but only once by a red wasp. It sure did not look like that though. Make sure you find the hive a toss a cup of gasoline on them for revenge. They die instantly with gas.

Posted By: Txkiller

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/02/12 02:17 AM

Sucks to be you.

Posted By: Talisman

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/02/12 02:20 AM

That does suck!!! Better u than me lol

Posted By: chopsknives

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/02/12 02:43 AM

Yeah i got stung by one of those a couple of weeks ago and it did the same thing - took bout a week to go away

Posted By: Ryan81

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/02/12 03:04 AM

I've been stung by red wasps, yellow jackets, and bees. I just have a little swelling and go on about my day. I guess I'm lucky to not be allergic to them or have any other side effects.

Posted By: father of 4

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/02/12 03:07 AM

lol reminds me of when me and my brother were kids. He got stung right between the eyes by a red wasp. His face swoled up so much he looked like a sumo wrestler.

Posted By: Atlas

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/02/12 05:06 AM

If it does not go down in a few more days, I'd go see a doc

Posted By: Savage388

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/02/12 05:38 AM

Rub some dirt on it, you'll be ok.

Posted By: Lucky_Craft

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/02/12 12:46 PM

OUCH

Posted By: Southtexas36

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/02/12 01:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Savage388
Rub some dirt on it, you'll be ok.

Or a dip of tobacco

Posted By: Trout-killer

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/02/12 01:50 PM

I got stung on my eyelid about a month ago. It didn't swell up to bad after I got hit, but when I woke up the next mourning the whole area above my eye down to my cheek and to my ear was swollen. Had to go to the doc to get a shot. it was swollen for 3 days. Now I have a dent where I got hit. I thought my eyeball was going to explode when it hit me.

Posted By: MikeC

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/02/12 02:18 PM

Originally Posted By: aggiehunter03
Make sure you find the hive a toss a cup of gasoline on them for revenge. They die instantly with gas.

Mix up some liquid dishwashing detergent with water and toss on them. Kills them just as fast as gas and it's a whole lot safer up

Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/02/12 02:22 PM

I dont swell like that, and neither does my girlfriend. We are litterally infested with them at my house. I walk around the house every day and kill 9 or 10 of them. They live in our attic.

It is a never ending war.

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/02/12 02:23 PM

Originally Posted By: MikeC
Originally Posted By: aggiehunter03
Make sure you find the hive a toss a cup of gasoline on them for revenge. They die instantly with gas.

Mix up some liquid dishwashing detergent with water and toss on them. Kills them just as fast as gas and it's a whole lot safer up

would this work in one of those 2 gallon sprayers?
And, what kind of dishwashing soap?

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/02/12 02:42 PM

Well its better today just itches like sob, but i nuked their a$$ last night

Posted By: Ntgrty

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/02/12 02:45 PM

You need to be careful - from experience - the next bite will be worse for you and I would suggest you go to a doc and get an epi-pen
Your next hit might bring on a severe reaction causing hives and airway blockage - I have been there and not being able to breathe AIN'T NO FUN

Posted By: Nridge47

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/02/12 07:37 PM

i got hit in the temple about three weeks ago and it felt like a 747 dive bombed me, but after about 2 weeks the swelling went down

Posted By: SCone

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/02/12 07:44 PM

My Grandpa used to go after them with White Rain hairspray & a paint stir stick. He told me the hair spray gummed-up their wings & blurred their vision. He'd just stand there and knock them out of the air one by one. Didn't matter to me, they could still sting.

Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/03/12 06:24 AM

I got hit right on the chin a few days ago by a yellow jacket.

Posted By: Hideandseek

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/03/12 10:16 AM

I have been stung before with no problems but got hit on the ear and it hurt and swelled up for 3 days. I guess cause there's not a lot of fat to disipate the poison in the ear but it hurt the worse by far than any other..

Posted By: headhunter54

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/03/12 11:42 AM

Ouch

Posted By: Killshot

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/03/12 05:49 PM

I got stung on my ring finger by one of those bastages just walking by a BBQ pit that there was a nest in. I was wearing my Aggie ring and my finger swelled so I couldnt get he ring off, thought my finger was going to pop.

Posted By: caldwelldeerhunter

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/03/12 07:26 PM

mine swoll up just a little but hurt like hell. everyone is different I guess

Posted By: San Saba Hogman

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/04/12 06:33 PM

holy cow

Posted By: Curtis

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/04/12 06:59 PM

I haven't been stung by a wasp in a long time. For me it would swell up and I would have to take benadryl.

Posted By: TXHunter13

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/04/12 09:57 PM

If you dip snuff or any kind of tobacco, take it out of your mouth next time and hold it on the bite and it takes out all the poison and doesn't swell as bad. I have been stung by a wasp and poked by a hard head down at the coast and both times i have put dip on the stung area and it helped so much.

Posted By: Savage388

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/04/12 10:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Tom Burns
You need to be careful - from experience - the next bite will be worse for you and I would suggest you go to a doc and get an epi-pen
Your next hit might bring on a severe reaction causing hives and airway blockage - I have been there and not being able to breathe AIN'T NO FUN

Just to clear things up, ants, wasp, and bees STING, dogs bite. The condition your are describing is called anaphylactic shock. It is caused be a protein being introduced into your body that causes you to have a severe allergic reaction to.

I witnessed this first hand when my uncle was stung be a wasp late one summer. He walked into my Aunts house and said that he got stung and that he was going to go sit in the shade. I walked outside with him and in about 5 minutes he was nearly unconscious. He really didn't want to use his epipen but he did and it saved his life.

He stabbed himself in the leg and about a minute latter he fell out of his chair. We were in a very rual part of Shelby county so waiting for the ambulance was not an option. We put him in his son's truck and I drove his wife in his to the hospital in Center, TX. (FYI a one ton 4x4 Power Stroke will run well over 100 when motivated). When we pulled into the emergency room entrance I helped take him out of the truck. No joke, I've seen dead people look better than my Uncle.

The medical staff rushed him inside and some how managed to stabalize him. By The Lord's grace, he recovered fully. I will never forget that.

Posted By: fbchunter

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/05/12 01:48 AM

"Mix up some liquid dishwashing detergent with water and toss on them. Kills them just as fast as gas and it's a whole lot safer up [/quote] "

This works great. Yellow jackets hit me before on my temple and my eye swoll shut, but after about 4 hours swelling went down

Posted By: DudleyDoRight76

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/06/12 12:59 PM

Put some snuff on it! it'll go down..

Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/10/12 06:32 PM

Always used baking soda & water to form a paste and apply over the sting area. Some folk swear by meat tenderizer.

Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/10/12 08:04 PM

I swear by staying the heck away from them!

Posted By: BowInHand_71

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/10/12 08:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Pittstate
I swear by staying the heck away from them!
roflmao

Posted By: MavrikZ

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/11/12 12:18 AM

I grab my dress and run like hell! I am scared to death of those damn things!

Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/12/12 03:27 AM

Originally Posted By: pokerj2
Take a vagisil and a bennedryl it will be ok. B972 says thats the best remedy around

rofl

Posted By: redchevy

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/12/12 01:58 PM

My little cousin busted a nest of them with a hay bale in the barn a number of years ago, he got stung 18 times before he got out of the barn.

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/12/12 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Brandon A
I dont swell like that, and neither does my girlfriend. We are litterally infested with them at my house. I walk around the house every day and kill 9 or 10 of them. They live in our attic.

Get some of the insect foggers, like the ones you put on the ground and pop the top. Go to your crawls space to get into the attic, pop the top on three or four and chuch them in different directions, close the attic and leave for a couple hours. If you want to fix it you need to find where they are coming in at and block it.

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/12/12 02:09 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Originally Posted By: Brandon A

Get some of the insect foggers, like the ones you put on the ground and pop the top. Go to your crawls space to get into the attic, pop the top on three or four and chuch them in different directions, close the attic and leave for a couple hours. If you want to fix it you need to find where they are coming in at and block it.

I know where they are coming in at, one spot I dont have a ladder tall enough to get to, and I know there are other places they will start going in... It will never end, And it is a rent house, not gonna spend to much on repairs. I bought some foggers the other day, just havent used em yet.

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/12/12 02:53 PM

Oh I see, yeah I would bill the fogers to the land lord.

Posted By: MavrikZ

Re: Dang red wasp!! - 07/16/12 01:37 PM

Fire....lol

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum