Texas Hunting Forum

Weekend Fishing Trip

Posted By: hunt-n-agg

Weekend Fishing Trip - 04/02/12 10:19 PM

Had a good weekend with a good friend on the beach doing what we do best putting sharks on the sand.

Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Weekend Fishing Trip - 04/02/12 10:20 PM

What species?

Re: Weekend Fishing Trip - 04/02/12 10:22 PM

Re: Weekend Fishing Trip - 04/02/12 10:24 PM

All but one are sandbars the other is a bull shark.

Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Weekend Fishing Trip - 04/02/12 10:26 PM

Bull shark is aggressive and bad news. Some of those were big.

Re: Weekend Fishing Trip - 04/02/12 10:30 PM

Originally Posted By: BuckRage
Bull shark is aggressive and bad news. Some of those were big.

The 3 biggest were 7' 7'1" and 7'2"

Re: Weekend Fishing Trip - 04/02/12 10:33 PM

I'm always paranoid to get into the water before we go to the beach on vacation and then I turn all goofy when we get there and jump in. You don't realize they are there but they are. Gives me the willies just thinking about it. How long they take to land?

Posted By: dkershen

Re: Weekend Fishing Trip - 04/02/12 10:35 PM

Wow.. looks like a great weekend. Thanks for sharing!

Re: Weekend Fishing Trip - 04/02/12 10:36 PM

I'm always paranoid to get into the water before we go to the beach on vacation and then I turn all goofy when we get there and jump in. You don't realize they are there but they are. Gives me the willies just thinking about it. How long they take to land?

The fight depends on each shark. Its taken me from 5 mins to 1hr to get them in.

Re: Weekend Fishing Trip - 04/02/12 10:37 PM

catch and release? I thought it would take a while to get them in. They look like all muscle.

Re: Weekend Fishing Trip - 04/02/12 10:42 PM

catch and release? I thought it would take a while to get them in. They look like all muscle.

Yea all catch and release. They mostly are all muscle most of the year but right now they are all pregnant and about to pup out so they are fatter now than they are the rest of the year

Posted By: d.g.ruff

Re: Weekend Fishing Trip - 04/03/12 12:07 AM

That is so freakin cool! Was this at PINS? Me and the wife go a lot, but I just fish around Port A in the surf. I catch some little ones and I caught a huge Jack once, about 35#'s. It took me 45 minutes to land him, I could just imagine how it would be to fight one of thiose big suckers.

Posted By: jcarlson91

Re: Weekend Fishing Trip - 04/03/12 01:36 AM

How far you cast out? Wouldn't want to swim with those!

Re: Weekend Fishing Trip - 04/03/12 02:00 AM

Ruff, we were at bryan beach near freeport. All the equipment we use is fairly stout so it really shortens the fight. The longest fight we had on this trip was about 20 to 25 min.

Carlson, we usually kayak the baits out 250 to 600 yds off the beach.

Posted By: woodwzrd1010

Re: Weekend Fishing Trip - 04/03/12 02:05 AM

NICE............... cheers
Where were you at ?

Re: Weekend Fishing Trip - 04/03/12 02:08 AM

Kayak! Not me! I'd make me a redneck bait cannon or sumptin. scared

Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Weekend Fishing Trip - 04/03/12 02:32 AM

What equipment componets rods,line,hooks, etc?

Posted By: HoughTown

Re: Weekend Fishing Trip - 04/03/12 03:02 AM

Great stories. Sounds like you got some guys wanting to go fishing!

Posted By: varmintslayer

Re: Weekend Fishing Trip - 04/03/12 04:11 AM

Those are awesome ! Thanks for sharing! I'd love to fo that all the fun with no sea sickness...

Re: Weekend Fishing Trip - 04/03/12 11:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
What equipment componets rods,line,hooks, etc?

On this trip the reels are penn 6/0 wides penn 4/0 wides abd a daiwa 900 all on custom surf rods built by my buddy jim thaylt fished with me. They are all spooled with 500 to 800 yards of 80 lb braid and have anywhere from a 50 to 250 yd topshot of 80lb mono. We use 20/0 circle hooks with a 8 ft section of 1000 lb cable attached to a 20 ft section of 600lb mono for the leader. We use whatever amount of spider weights it takes to get the bait to hold.

Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Weekend Fishing Trip - 04/03/12 01:11 PM

Great pics and story. I love catching sharks in the surf. It freaks out the tourist.

My best bud and fishing partner held the Texas state record for a shark caught from shore for more than a decade. It was a 14' Greater Hammerhead that weighed over 1000 lbs. He caught it on the North Jetty in Port A using a 30 lb. jack crevalle as bait. Hooked up at about 7pm and fought the fish all night, finally landing it on the St. Jo Island beach at 6:30AM the next morning. The shark took from the end of the jetty to the beach and back and then back to the beach. Caught on a 13/0 Penn and shoulder harness.

This is a pic of a photo...sorry for the lousy quality but it gives an idea of how big the shark was.

Re: Weekend Fishing Trip - 04/03/12 01:16 PM

Question for the OP. A couple of those sharks appear to be "tagged". Did y'all tag them or were they already tagged when you caught them? Referring to the tags up near the dorsal fins.

Re: Weekend Fishing Trip - 04/03/12 02:13 PM

Originally Posted By: LandPirate
Question for the OP. A couple of those sharks appear to be "tagged". Did y'all tag them or were they already tagged when you caught them? Referring to the tags up near the dorsal fins.

We tagged them. I ran out or i would have tagged all of them

That is what guys like me dream of is those big hammers and tigers. Three years ago i released what would have been the state record sandbark and it is something that i will never forget.
Originally Posted By: LandPirate
Great pics and story. I love catching sharks in the surf. It freaks out the tourist.

My best bud and fishing partner held the Texas state record for a shark caught from shore for more than a decade. It was a 14' Greater Hammerhead that weighed over 1000 lbs. He caught it on the North Jetty in Port A using a 30 lb. jack crevalle as bait. Hooked up at about 7pm and fought the fish all night, finally landing it on the St. Jo Island beach at 6:30AM the next morning. The shark took from the end of the jetty to the beach and back and then back to the beach. Caught on a 13/0 Penn and shoulder harness.

This is a pic of a photo...sorry for the lousy quality but it gives an idea of how big the shark was.

Posted By: TooLow

Re: Weekend Fishing Trip - 04/03/12 02:18 PM

That looks like it was an awesome time there. Great pics. Congrats

Re: Weekend Fishing Trip - 04/03/12 02:27 PM

I don't usually target sharks specifically. I have caught a few offshore. My fishing buddy (in the pic) goes crazy for 'em. He catches quite a few from the piers like Horace Caldwell in Port A.

Here's an 8 ft. blacktip from last summer

And a 7 ft that we put in the box. Good eats right there.

Another trip. We kept a 6 footer (smallest we caught that day)

Another trip with a buddy that doesn't fish much. My boat in the background

Posted By: SowHntr

Re: Weekend Fishing Trip - 04/03/12 02:36 PM

That's stinking awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Posted By: 1FowlHntR

Re: Weekend Fishing Trip - 04/03/12 10:36 PM

That's cool man, looks like an awesome trip...too bad I wasn't there watching the fun!!!

Posted By: longhorn_cop

Re: Weekend Fishing Trip - 04/03/12 11:07 PM

Great photos

Posted By: Let The Air Out of 'Em

Re: Weekend Fishing Trip - 04/04/12 01:43 AM

food
Awesome!!!

Posted By: tgammon

Re: Weekend Fishing Trip - 04/04/12 04:14 AM

When I lived down in Corpus we helped pull in an 8 foot bull shark, we also so a 12 foot tiger shark, all caught off bob hall pier. Pretty crazy!!!

Posted By: redchevy

Re: Weekend Fishing Trip - 04/04/12 02:50 PM

I caught a 5 foot shark of the Port A north jetty a couple years ago, it was a blast.

Looks like alot of fun, yal cast lines out or take them out in a yak?

Re: Weekend Fishing Trip - 04/04/12 03:08 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
I caught a 5 foot shark of the Port A north jetty a couple years ago, it was a blast.

Looks like alot of fun, yal cast lines out or take them out in a yak?

We use a yak to get them out far enough. Aint nothing like catching a big shark off the beach.

Posted By: redchevy

Re: Weekend Fishing Trip - 04/04/12 03:34 PM

I have always wanted to, never had a vehicle to get me on the beach.. now I got one, but after paying for it I think Im gonna wait a little longer to get her all salty in the surf.

What yal use for bait and hooks?

Posted By: Eland Slayer

Re: Weekend Fishing Trip - 04/04/12 04:04 PM

Great pics!!

Re: Weekend Fishing Trip - 04/04/12 09:30 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
I have always wanted to, never had a vehicle to get me on the beach.. now I got one, but after paying for it I think Im gonna wait a little longer to get her all salty in the surf.

What yal use for bait and hooks?

The bait and hooks we use really depends on the time of year what is in the surf the type and size of shark we are targeting. The hooks are normaly 15/0 to 20/0 mustad circle hooks. We tend to match the size of hook to the size of bait we are using and the size of sharks we are targeting. The bait is usually what is prominant in the surf, stingray jack cravelle mullet pompano mullet sheephead lady fish whiting and whatever else is dominant in the surf.

Posted By: JCB

Re: Weekend Fishing Trip - 04/04/12 10:53 PM

Now that looks like fun!

Posted By: Earl

Re: Weekend Fishing Trip - 04/04/12 11:56 PM

Nice fish...the biggest shark I've ever caught is an 8' dusky back before it was illegal to catch them. I've hooked a 15' 1500lb Great White off of Guadalupe Isle, Mexico but you can't even say I fought it. We were tuna fishing and the Great Whites would often eat one of the 75lb yellowfin we were fighting leaving nothing but a cloud of red blood. They really put on a show when they'd take a tuna on the surface that had bit a bait on the kite.

I watched one take my line as I was using a live squid for bait we had caught the night before. I went around the length of the 100' boat a few times with it for fun but never really "fought" it. I don't think it either new it was hooked or cared. It was just circling the boat waiting for the next hooked tuna to eat.

Earl

Posted By: DIME BOX DEER CAMP

Re: Weekend Fishing Trip - 04/05/12 12:04 PM

Thats some good eatn there. Nice

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum