Texas Hunting Forum

Black white tail deer

Posted By: SA Hunter

Black white tail deer - 10/23/11 09:25 PM

Thought you all would enjoy picture of this rare deer. You can see more pictures of him in my photobook. These are from my low fence lease in hays county.

http://s1113.photobucket.com/albums/k510/2sahunter/

Posted By: pokerj2

Re: Black white tail deer - 10/23/11 09:26 PM

cool

Posted By: trapperjustin

Re: Black white tail deer - 10/23/11 09:32 PM

Melonistic. If that's how u spell it. I saw a doe like that once. Really cool looking

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Black white tail deer - 10/23/11 09:33 PM

i'd shoot that thing in a heartbeat and put it on the wall.

i've seen two, one black fawn in comal county and a black doe in kendall

Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Black white tail deer - 10/23/11 09:33 PM

Lots of 'em in Hays Co. Whereabouts are you hunting?

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Black white tail deer - 10/23/11 09:43 PM

Nice buck and pic.

Re: Black white tail deer - 10/23/11 09:49 PM

I am off 1626 by Manchaca.

Posted By: trueagkid

Re: Black white tail deer - 10/23/11 09:57 PM

No offense, SA Hunter, but don't you think that putting your whereabouts on the internet is an easy way to get that deer poached?

Posted By: longhorn_cop

Re: Black white tail deer - 10/23/11 10:02 PM

Neat looking deer.

Posted By: AdgerC15

Re: Black white tail deer - 10/23/11 10:07 PM

cool.. never seen one

ac

Posted By: quackaholic1

Re: Black white tail deer - 10/24/11 12:09 AM

I would love to see one. He would make a great wall mount. Good Luck

Posted By: TMonjure

Re: Black white tail deer - 10/24/11 12:10 AM

Cool Pic!

Posted By: GWW

Re: Black white tail deer - 10/24/11 01:24 AM

He's "BLACK OPPS!"

Posted By: cruzing

Re: Black white tail deer - 10/24/11 02:14 AM

chocolate deer. They come out in south texas

Posted By: CAMO34

Re: Black white tail deer - 10/24/11 12:52 PM

NEVER SEEN ONE BEFORE up

Posted By: cameron00

Re: Black white tail deer - 10/24/11 12:59 PM

Originally Posted By: trueagkid
No offense, SA Hunter, but don't you think that putting your whereabouts on the internet is an easy way to get that deer poached?

The description he gave narrows it down to only about 15,000 acres. I agree, very dangerous to be so loose with that kind of info.

EDIT: Just actually looked at the map, and there really isn't much hunting land out there, so this probably does very much narrow the location down. So I'm stupid. Nevermind.

Posted By: Big A

Re: Black white tail deer - 10/24/11 01:06 PM

Originally Posted By: GWW
He's "BLACK OPPS!"

I would say he is a ninja ninja but he now has a pic out there of hmm.

coolpics

Posted By: B_Bop77

Re: Black white tail deer - 10/24/11 02:37 PM

That's awesome. If you have an opening next year on your lease I'd sure be interested.

Posted By: LockhartHunter

Re: Black white tail deer - 10/24/11 03:00 PM

We have a black doe on trail cam here in lockhart, but she hasn't shown her face yet during season.

Posted By: Mr.Broadhead

Re: Black white tail deer - 10/24/11 04:08 PM

These black deer have the same gene that black panthers do, they are just not as smart and get caught on camera.

Re: Black white tail deer - 10/24/11 04:33 PM

Originally Posted By: SA Hunter
I am off 1626 by Manchaca.

Grew up in that area. Know it well. Spent all my formative years on the Spillar Ranch.

I have a 50 acre place that I can hunt out of San Marcos and usually have 2-3 melanistic deer each year.

Posted By: FamousAmos

Re: Black white tail deer - 10/24/11 04:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Mr.Broadhead
These black deer have the same gene that black panthers do, they are just not as smart and get caught on camera.

happy3

Posted By: indianapigsticker

Re: Black white tail deer - 10/24/11 05:02 PM

rifle

Posted By: bu2herndog

Re: Black white tail deer - 10/24/11 05:16 PM

Very cool buck.

Posted By: esd56288

Re: Black white tail deer - 10/24/11 05:38 PM

Originally Posted By: B_Bop77
That's awesome. If you have an opening next year on your lease I'd sure be interested.

Me too. That's just a couple miles from the house.

Posted By: jts728

Re: Black white tail deer - 10/25/11 12:55 AM

And it's 109 degrees in that pic

Posted By: Mikel H

Re: Black white tail deer - 10/25/11 02:15 AM

Saw a melanistic doe and nubbin mule deer buck in Sanderson 4 years ago. The buck was a fork horn the next year but have not seen them since. I guess somebody had to shoot it young but it was a cool sight.

Posted By: cibolo

Re: Black white tail deer - 10/25/11 02:34 AM

got two of them on my place in hays also. one doe and one spike/hopefully buck this year,but he has yet to show up on the game cam this year. was just at my buddies feed store talking about the hunting back there on the old BIiss Spillar place.

Landpirate do you know anything about that city owned 400 acres back there behind Marbridge?

Posted By: TxAg

Re: Black white tail deer - 10/25/11 03:01 AM

Grew up in that area. The subdivision Mountain City used to have lots of melanistic deer, probably still does. Cool to see.

Re: Black white tail deer - 10/25/11 04:58 PM

Originally Posted By: cibolo
got two of them on my place in hays also. one doe and one spike/hopefully buck this year,but he has yet to show up on the game cam this year. was just at my buddies feed store talking about the hunting back there on the old BIiss Spillar place.

Landpirate do you know anything about that city owned 400 acres back there behind Marbridge?

My best friend growing up (2nd grade on and to this day) was the son of the foreman to the Spillar Ranch. They lived on the ranch so we spent every spare moment we had hunting, fishing, camping, trapping and just running through that ranch. Yeah, I know it very well. B. Spillar's widow died back in the late 80's or early 90's. Her kids opted to sell the ranch. It was bought by the City of Austin to control development in the area. My understanding is that it cannot ever be developed. It's roughly 3500 acres.

The city also bought the 400 acres between Bliss Spillar Rd and Shady Hollow out of the old Barker Ranch. I suppose it's under the same restrictions. The City of Austin also bought 3500 acres out of the Rutherford Ranch between FM 967 and FM 150. I understand they also bought property on the headwaters of Barton Creek, near Dripping Springs.

My understanding is that the city bought all of this property because it's in the Edwards Aquifer Recharge Zone and for the protection of Onion and Barton Creek.

They say that they don't allow hunting but I know for a fact that high ranking officials from various city departments have been hunting these properties.

Posted By: rfamilyhunting

Re: Black white tail deer - 10/25/11 05:34 PM

I watched this guy grow for 5 years. He was king of the mountain before he disappeared. Located northern Hays county.

Posted By: esd56288

Re: Black white tail deer - 10/25/11 06:17 PM

Originally Posted By: LandPirate
Originally Posted By: cibolo

My best friend growing up (2nd grade on and to this day) was the son of the foreman to the Spillar Ranch. They lived on the ranch so we spent every spare moment we had hunting, fishing, camping, trapping and just running through that ranch. Yeah, I know it very well. B. Spillar's widow died back in the late 80's or early 90's. Her kids opted to sell the ranch. It was bought by the City of Austin to control development in the area. My understanding is that it cannot ever be developed. It's roughly 3500 acres.

The city also bought the 400 acres between Bliss Spillar Rd and Shady Hollow out of the old Barker Ranch. I suppose it's under the same restrictions. The City of Austin also bought 3500 acres out of the Rutherford Ranch between FM 967 and FM 150. I understand they also bought property on the headwaters of Barton Creek, near Dripping Springs.

My understanding is that the city bought all of this property because it's in the Edwards Aquifer Recharge Zone and for the protection of Onion and Barton Creek.

They say that they don't allow hunting but I know for a fact that high ranking officials from various city departments have been hunting these properties.

I have also been told that over the past coulpe of year's they have gone in and shot every deer they saw for population control. Don't know if it's true or not.

Re: Black white tail deer - 10/25/11 06:20 PM

That is a nice looking deer!!

Re: Black white tail deer - 10/25/11 07:00 PM

On the Rutherford they are shooting every non-native animal. Basically they're trying to erradicate all of the Axis, Blackbuck and feral hog that they can.

I worked on the Rutherford in high school. Another classmate was the son of the foreman. The Rutherford had a large herd of Axis and Blackbuck. Some very nice whitetails too.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum