Texas Hunting Forum

College in Kansas Ain't All Bad

Posted By: 82Ag

College in Kansas Ain't All Bad - 12/09/09 03:59 PM

Guys, I have been following you on this forum for several months, but never had anything noteworthy to post. I feel like that changed yesterday, so here is my first attempt at a post. Please forgive any mistakes.

Anyway, here's the story (hopefully, pic to follow). My son called me about 6 am yesterday morning (which generally is not a good sign), and asked a) are you awake (now I'm really getting nervous that something has gone wrong) and 2) have you ever hunted in the snow (now, a sigh of relief). Being a lifelong Texan, I truthfully and regretfully responded "No, but I've always wanted to". He says, well it's 15 degrees here, there's 7 inches of snow on the ground and I'm heading out (from Tabor College in Hillsboro, KS). Being from a long-line of hunters I was proud he was braving the elements for a crack at a grain-fed Kansas buck, but the dutiful father had to ask "Don't you have a final exam at 9 a.m.?". He said, yes, but I'm studied up and can make it back by then, easily. Well, by 8:20 he had seen a number of deer, but not the size that he knew could be in the area (by the way, he found this spot by driving around and asking farmers if he could do some work for them in return for the right to hunt - one obliged within 10 miles of campus). Knowing that he needed to be at the truck by 8:30 to safely and easily make it back to campus in time for his exam, he hopped up and headed toward the truck. He had just started walking when he noticed a large-bodied deer in the edge of the woods across the CRP field. He quickly threw up the scope and could see antlers that were heavy and outside the ears. He quickly moved the scope to the vitals and squeezed off a round. He said the buck dropped momentarily and then hobbled into the woods. He quickly moved to the scene of the crime, and noticed a large pool of blood and a good trail leading into the woods. He decided to go onto class and not push the buck. We will know later how well he did on the exam, but he did manage to get through it. I was as nervous as an expectant father, waiting for the end of the story. As soon as class ended, he and a college buddy headed back. Within 50 yards of where he shot the buck, he was down. He is 18 inches inside, scores right at 150, is 5.5-6.5 yo and weighed over 250. Taxidermy may cost more than tuition this semester! He's nowhere near the biggest buck in that part of the country, but he's an all-time high for this Texas family, and we are all tickled for him. His smile means more to me than the mass on those antlers.

IMG]http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac39/Bwoody08/120809_150801.jpg[/IMG]

Posted By: bigmike_ml21

Re: College in Kansas Ain't All Bad - 12/09/09 04:06 PM

Great story and an awesome buck! Im sure you are extremely proud........kind of wishin i would of went to college in Kansas now

Posted By: txhunter24

Re: College in Kansas Ain't All Bad - 12/09/09 04:06 PM

Very nice, congrats!

Posted By: Leonardo

Re: College in Kansas Ain't All Bad - 12/09/09 04:21 PM

Great story.

Posted By: whby05

Re: College in Kansas Ain't All Bad - 12/09/09 04:26 PM

congrats to him and yourself......welcome to the THF

Posted By: TxTechsan

Re: College in Kansas Ain't All Bad - 12/09/09 04:30 PM

Cool Story. Great buck.

Posted By: CinchMan

Re: College in Kansas Ain't All Bad - 12/09/09 04:51 PM

Cool story, my girlfriends sister just signed with Kansas on a full ride for softball. Maybe I will have to go visit "her" for a christmas break and try that out! popcorn

Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: College in Kansas Ain't All Bad - 12/09/09 05:02 PM

Awesome

Posted By: cameron00

Re: College in Kansas Ain't All Bad - 12/09/09 07:39 PM

Can you imagine trying to concentrate during that exam?

Posted By: A.B.

Re: College in Kansas Ain't All Bad - 12/09/09 07:50 PM

Great deer. I miss living up in the north country. I enjoyed my time up there.

Posted By: d.g.ruff

Re: College in Kansas Ain't All Bad - 12/09/09 08:01 PM

Originally Posted By: cameron00
Can you imagine trying to concentrate during that exam?

LOL, no kidding! congrats to your son on a great buck!
And welcome to the forum welcome

Posted By: JohnnyD

Re: College in Kansas Ain't All Bad - 12/09/09 10:18 PM

cheers

Posted By: Tres

Re: College in Kansas Ain't All Bad - 12/09/09 10:31 PM

That's a great story and an even better buck, congrats! up

Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: College in Kansas Ain't All Bad - 12/09/09 10:43 PM

nice buck!

Posted By: Quailhunter

Re: College in Kansas Ain't All Bad - 12/09/09 11:33 PM

Congrats to your boy. What a great buck and a great story.

Posted By: Txkiller

Re: College in Kansas Ain't All Bad - 12/10/09 12:09 AM

Nice buck man cheers enjoy yourself up there I had some of my best times at Barton in Great Bend, if you ever want to get out and have some fun go to Hutch the women are freaking hoooooooooooooooot there grin

Posted By: TX4Ever

Re: College in Kansas Ain't All Bad - 12/10/09 11:24 AM

Congrats! I just got orders to kansas and will be up there in may! Lookin forward to doing some hunting! Maybe your son and I could get together and do some huntin up there!!!

Posted By: kry226

Re: College in Kansas Ain't All Bad - 12/10/09 12:51 PM

Ahh, I remember the days of hunting before class. I actually used to plan my Fall semester classes around morning and evening hunts.

Congrats to him. Myself, I just brought a bruiser back from Kansas. It's a great place to hunt.

Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: College in Kansas Ain't All Bad - 12/10/09 07:11 PM

Hey Bryan,

Somewhere on here there was recent discussion on Taxi rates. It was either in this section or the deer hunting section.

Posted By: bjw2823

Re: College in Kansas Ain't All Bad - 12/10/09 07:25 PM

Hearing that story makes me want to go back to college only in Kansas this time.

Posted By: Skipper98

Re: College in Kansas Ain't All Bad - 12/10/09 07:27 PM

Great story very nice buck congrats to him!

Posted By: 82Ag

Re: College in Kansas Ain't All Bad - 12/10/09 09:26 PM

I noticed the taxidermy thread. I appreciate the input. Quite a range in pricing, so I think I had better focus on experience and quality, not price.

I appreciate all the kind comments. He's coming in tonight with the buck. Can't wait to get my hands on that rack!

Posted By: mbavo

Re: College in Kansas Ain't All Bad - 12/11/09 12:19 AM

congrats. and welcome to the forum.

Posted By: bigtuna

Re: College in Kansas Ain't All Bad - 12/11/09 01:00 AM

great story and looks like a great buck too

Posted By: Armadillo Tacos

Re: College in Kansas Ain't All Bad - 12/11/09 01:45 AM

That is a nice buck. There are some monster up on the prarie.

Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: College in Kansas Ain't All Bad - 12/11/09 03:37 AM

Great story 82Ag! Glad to see your son get a great buck!

Posted By: B-swit

Re: College in Kansas Ain't All Bad - 12/11/09 03:41 AM

cool story man. nuce thinking take advantage of the hunting while your there. up

Posted By: passthru

Re: College in Kansas Ain't All Bad - 12/11/09 03:53 AM

Don't let me be the last to say congrats on that great "anywhere in the country" buck. Hunting in the snow, painting the ground red is an incredible feeling. Again, congrats!

Posted By: Dadsaid

Re: College in Kansas Ain't All Bad - 12/11/09 03:03 PM

Great story, thanks for sharing.

Posted By: taco bender

Re: College in Kansas Ain't All Bad - 12/11/09 07:54 PM

great story, i know your one proud dad. now what did he make on that exam?

Posted By: Jordan519

Re: College in Kansas Ain't All Bad - 12/12/09 12:56 AM

Well I figired out where I want to go to collage.
NICE buck!

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum