Texas Hunting Forum

Any other lease's under water?

Posted By: janie

Any other lease's under water? - 10/27/09 03:02 AM

Ours is. No way to access it right now. We border the Sulphur river and I've got a sneakin hunch they opened up the levy's on Lake Cooper. If we don't start seeing a drying pattern soon, were screwed.

Not being able to hunt always blows. Worried as well about our tractor and other items inside the barn. Hopefully, it didn't flood.

I know there is nothing we can do against Mother Nature. Guess I just needed to vent.

Posted By: BlackSnake

Re: Any other lease's under water? - 10/27/09 03:04 AM

I hate that. I went to scout a public area and what use to be a road is now 5 ft deep in water.

Hope all turns out good for ya soon.

Posted By: Extreme4wheel

Re: Any other lease's under water? - 10/27/09 03:06 AM

What public area are you refering too?

Posted By: BlackSnake

Re: Any other lease's under water? - 10/27/09 03:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Extreme4wheel
What public area are you refering too?

The Vine.

Posted By: MELackey

Re: Any other lease's under water? - 10/27/09 03:08 AM

had one like that in SE TX a several years ago. Thnere were a couple of ways in, and all of them were under water. We were trying to get in late one Friday night, using a spotlight to see the water... You can guess what happened next... Game warden pulls up, asks about the light, sees the rifles,... Luckily he believed us since the guns were still in cases and the ammo was all separate (yes, he checked).

Hope you guys dry out this week. If the rain doesn't stop soon, I might be riding the dozer to the stand at our place

Posted By: rifleman

Re: Any other lease's under water? - 10/27/09 03:13 AM

same here...our place is nothing but creeks and deep ravines. I can probably make it to my stand, but my fiance won't be able to make it to hers, so I may put her up a ground blind and wish her the best of luck.

My old lease would always flood... but could get in a small flatbottom and get back in past the flooded sloughs to where the tall ridges were before it hit riverbottom. Would be amazed at the deer traveling from ridge to ridge and wading through chest high water.

Posted By: craige

Re: Any other lease's under water? - 10/27/09 03:20 AM

I went to my lease last week, to check the cameras. I got to one, and water was about 3" from getting into it. I had to wade waste high water. It has killed all of my food plots. I am thinking of planting a few small plots again, but I havent decided just yet. We are still getting rain at the house right now.

Posted By: B-swit

Re: Any other lease's under water? - 10/27/09 03:22 AM

its awfully muddy but we can access it. got my bros 2wd sierra stuck this past weekend, ended up working my way out of it but i almost had to make the 4 mile walk back to camp.

Posted By: Wingman

Re: Any other lease's under water? - 10/27/09 03:31 AM

About half of ours is. We're on the Sabine near Mineola. We have three feeders, two cameras and a pop-up underwater. If this flippin' rain doesn't stop soon we may be doing more duck hunting on our place then deer hunting. crazy

Posted By: LFD2037

Re: Any other lease's under water? - 10/27/09 03:59 AM

My feeder, stand & camera are in 5" of water as of last Thur. I don't think it dried out before this last bit started this morning. I'm getting kinda paranoid about it messing up my hunting if it doesn't stop before Nov. I don't recall this much rain this time of the year. It's been pretty ridiculous.

Posted By: cbump

Re: Any other lease's under water? - 10/27/09 03:59 AM

Originally Posted By: janie
Ours is. No way to access it right now. We border the Sulphur river and I've got a sneakin hunch they opened up the levy's on Lake Cooper. If we don't start seeing a drying pattern soon, were screwed.

Not being able to hunt always blows. Worried as well about our tractor and other items inside the barn. Hopefully, it didn't flood.

I know there is nothing we can do against Mother Nature. Guess I just needed to vent.

Turn it into a waterfowl lease.

Posted By: NETxHunter

Re: Any other lease's under water? - 10/27/09 04:17 AM

Mine is under water as well. I hunt on the Sabine River just south of Carthage. Hopefully my cameras make it through all of this. I may be getting pictures of fish at my feeder before its all over. I may not get to hunt again until mid-late November.

Posted By: TxHunter87

Re: Any other lease's under water? - 10/27/09 04:20 AM

ours is so close to being a lake but our creeks and drains are working over time to keep it just really really muddy and if we go hunting alot of walking will be taking place

Posted By: Redneck Messiah

Re: Any other lease's under water? - 10/27/09 12:59 PM

Mine is as well, sulfer river bottom, north of rivercrest HS

Posted By: okbowhunter

Re: Any other lease's under water? - 10/27/09 01:26 PM

Entire north side of where I'm hunting is under water and all the deer moved to the south side which is surrounded by lake on three sides. A little more rain and I'll have them all pushed into a corner.

Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Any other lease's under water? - 10/27/09 01:46 PM

Originally Posted By: cbump
Originally Posted By: janie

Turn it into a waterfowl lease.

I like that idea! sorry to hear your under water, makes for a tough year. But might push the deer to high ground, which could be good if you have access to it

Posted By: BenBob

Re: Any other lease's under water? - 10/27/09 01:59 PM

Our place is on the Llano River between Junction and London. In 1998 on the first weekend of deer season we got all kinds of rain the week before and the Friday before the opening of deer season. We had the house almost wash away, the tractor was under water, 3 of our feeders were under water and a lot of our fencing washed away. The water had to rise 35 feet to get in the house and it not only got in the house, it was in the house 7 feet deep. Needless to say, we did not get to hunt until about 3 weeks later and even then, we did more cleaning up than hunting. It was a horrible season, but at least it was a deer season.

Posted By: rstewlandman

Re: Any other lease's under water? - 10/27/09 02:03 PM

That sucks, my buddy used to hunt a place on the Sabine, and had two stands out there, luckily the season he hunted out there was dry, but after season it flooded and both stands floated, they were able to recover both stands as neither went to far, One was in the bottom of a creek bed and it was a B trying to get it out, after that they decided to hunt elsewhere, we still have access to the property as it is company owned and do have a feeder out there, BUT it is a POP up blind place and is used mostly to trap hogs, you guys will be lucky if you get to hunt these places opening weekend if they are as deep as our property is now.

Posted By: llanite

Re: Any other lease's under water? - 10/27/09 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By: LFD2037
I don't recall this much rain this time of the year. It's been pretty ridiculous.

It was around '98-'2000 we had a real wet fall like this. When I got in my ground blind and sat down the chair sank 8" down to the cross braces. Kinda messed up my shooting angles. laugh

Posted By: llanite

Re: Any other lease's under water? - 10/27/09 04:11 PM

Originally Posted By: TreeBass

I like that idea! sorry to hear your under water, makes for a tough year. But might push the deer to high ground, which could be good if you have access to it

True. It also pushes all the varmints to high ground too. Be prepared to thin them out, otherwise they can put a real hurt on your future game numbers.

Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: Any other lease's under water? - 10/27/09 04:25 PM

Originally Posted By: llanite
When I got in my ground blind and sat down the chair sank 8" down to the cross braces. Kinda messed up my shooting angles. laugh

rofl

Posted By: sqiggy

Re: Any other lease's under water? - 10/28/09 02:34 AM

Originally Posted By: NETxHunter
Mine is under water as well. I hunt on the Sabine River just south of Carthage. Hopefully my cameras make it through all of this. I may be getting pictures of fish at my feeder before its all over. I may not get to hunt again until mid-late November.
I hunt just north of Carthage. Went 2 weeks ago and out of 4 stands, I couldn't get to none of them. Going back this weekend but they are callin for more rain on top of what we got Mon. Looks like I'll be bringing a couple of stands and start scouting a "new" place where I won't need a boat to get to. I'm afraid this season is gonna suck!!!

Posted By: mudd

Re: Any other lease's under water? - 10/28/09 03:35 AM

I hate seeing threads like this. I been trying to find a jon boat as a joke here in nw louisiana to use. They said 5-7 inches for us by weeks end here! So probaly not even gonna hunt

Posted By: Driller

Re: Any other lease's under water? - 10/28/09 03:48 AM

I havnt been able to get to my stand and feeder since opening day of bow-season as it started flooding that eve. Just about the time it dries out enough.....more darn rain. The deer are feeding on the acorns on the hill-sides so it kinda makes for easy hunting IMO

Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Any other lease's under water? - 10/28/09 03:51 AM

Sure a lot of folks hunting in flood planes! I'm also in a creek bottom and it's been dry up until a just a few weeks ago, and now that dry creek has been full of water and it splits the place in half so I have to go around on a county road to get to the other side of the lease.

I lost a feeder on another lease two years ago that was in a river bottom so I know what you guys are having to deal with, and it's rough.

Hopefully things will dry out and we'll be able to salvage the season!

Posted By: Nathan at Fork

Re: Any other lease's under water? - 10/28/09 04:27 AM

60 of our 65 acres is about 9' deep riight now. Our place is on the sulphur river right by dalby springs. We had a very nice food plot going and its all gone now. Luckily, we got the cameras out and the feeder raised up high. We have been able to hunt the 5 acres on the hill, but it sure makes it tough. All that work for nothing, and so far we have missed the entire bow season on the main part of our land. Looks like it is ongoing as well with all the rain we are supposed to get thursday. Its just nuts, Ive never seen rain like this here and all the flooding. The water is 2' going over the dam on tawakoni.

Posted By: MELackey

Re: Any other lease's under water? - 10/28/09 07:04 PM

all of our stands, feeders, and food plots are fine, it's just the several creeks running through the property that make things interesting. Several of the stands require crossing 2 creeks to get to and the water is running 3-4 feet and pretty fast, so you really can only cross them in the big tractor (Case IH 5140). I guess the up side is that the tractor has a bucket on the front so carrying the deer back is not a problem

Posted By: rstewlandman

Re: Any other lease's under water? - 10/29/09 01:05 AM

I went to our family land in Madisonville today, and all the rivers where out of there banks, I got stuck twice, but our land is in the dry, we have a creek that was out but is now well back in..

Posted By: Texasbdog

Re: Any other lease's under water? - 10/29/09 03:03 AM

Our place near Clay is not underwater but there is a creek and it is impassable and will be for at least a week, so bow season is over for us unfortunately. We will bow hunt during gun season but the woods get full then.

Posted By: crash700

Re: Any other lease's under water? - 10/29/09 03:38 AM

Mine is in Kenefick and is under about a foot and a half. I just hope it drains by opening weekend or I will have to wade to my stand.

Posted By: Redneck Messiah

Re: Any other lease's under water? - 10/29/09 04:43 AM

went back out today..........................still underwater...........this sux

Posted By: huntindude

Re: Any other lease's under water? - 10/29/09 12:36 PM

I feel for everyone who can't make opening weekend because of flood water. I hunt in Groveton Texas in Trinity County and my pond is still 5 feet low. I wish we had some of the rain you guys are getting, but not the flood part. Good luck for opening weekend and I dont want to catch the evening news that some hunters drowned trying to reach their lease or stand. Also becareful if your bringing children. good luck and prayers be with you.

Posted By: Berretta man

Re: Any other lease's under water? - 10/29/09 02:14 PM

I am nut under water but to muddy to drive in. 3 inches last week and 5 inches this week with more to come. I park at the gat and walk to the barn. If I stay on the roads I can get around in my EZ go.

Posted By: A.B.

Re: Any other lease's under water? - 10/29/09 03:37 PM

The back side of our place will be by tomorrow morning. The Sulphur is already out of the banks and about to make it the 2 miles to our place.

Posted By: janie

Re: Any other lease's under water? - 10/29/09 03:47 PM

Originally Posted By: aggie7734
The back side of our place will be by tomorrow morning. The Sulphur is already out of the banks and about to make it the 2 miles to our place.

Crap. And with the rain we have moving in today....We're gonna lose everything.

Posted By: LFD2037

Re: Any other lease's under water? - 10/29/09 04:46 PM

This SUCKS! I was under water 5 days ago & got about 3" 2 days ago & today will get @ least 2" more. I still have some trees to trim for shooting lanes. Last week I did as much as I could standing in 5" of water the WHOLE time. I'm really starting to think I might be screwed for at least opening weekend.

Posted By: twice70

Re: Any other lease's under water? - 10/29/09 04:59 PM

As of yesterday our place was just really really muddy. If we get all the rain they are saying we will get today and tomorrow, the youth weekend is going to be really muddy. We have to cross a creek to get to our best stand, so that may not happen this weekend if it gets up much higher than it is now. But we have a good spot close to camp where we always see a few does if nothing else, so we may just have to hunt there.

Posted By: redchevy

Re: Any other lease's under water? - 10/29/09 05:30 PM

I feel for you guys. Our place is in Duval county and is all red sad, the only time we get stuck is when it doesnt rain, which for us, unfortunately, is most of the time. Two weeks ago I got my dads 3/4 ton d-max and 30' travel trailer stuck, that was fun, lots of digging and boards. When it rains the sand packs and it is like driving on cement. Hope it dries up for yall.

matt

Posted By: cajundave

Re: Any other lease's under water? - 10/30/09 03:30 AM

Our lease in Kaufman is bottom land and my main stand sits in the lowest part on the edge of the creek-probably with four feet of water around it. It floods every summer so this year, I decided to put a bow stand in a higher area that has never flooded. Man I'm glad I did. It's paid off with a doe already but now it looks like it may be my only rifle stand if this crazy water keeps up.

Posted By: mudd

Re: Any other lease's under water? - 10/30/09 03:41 AM

Well with the rain we have got tonight, It is pretty much gonna be flooded anywhere in East Texas and North Louisiana

Re: Any other lease's under water? - 10/30/09 04:46 AM

if we got as much rain at the lease as we did in houston today its gunna be awfully muddy out there...

Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Any other lease's under water? - 10/30/09 02:32 PM

Yeah its wet... really wet...

Posted By: rifleman

Re: Any other lease's under water? - 10/30/09 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By: B-switalski
if we got as much rain at the lease as we did in houston today its gunna be awfully muddy out there...

all creeks crossing 95 are well out of bank.
edit: and the schools out in that area are closed due to trees being down and roads being flooded..fyi.

(the stand in my sig pic is high and dry though) cheers

Re: Any other lease's under water? - 10/30/09 06:58 PM

Originally Posted By: rifleman
Originally Posted By: B-switalski

all creeks crossing 95 are well out of bank.
edit: and the schools out in that area are closed due to trees being down and roads being flooded..fyi.

(the stand in my sig pic is high and dry though) cheers

figured as much. hopefully it drys up some by the opener.

the spot i have been showing you those bucks from is gunna be a swamp. hammer

Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Any other lease's under water? - 11/01/09 01:29 PM

Hopefully the forecast is correct and we have 10 straight days of no rain, then it will just be wet and muddy

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum