Texas Hunting Forum

COONS!!! please help

Posted By: jrich

COONS!!! please help - 10/13/09 03:32 PM

Ok...im having a hard time getting rid of coons... i have bought 3 live traps and have set them out every night for the last 2 weeks. they keep goin into the traps and taking the food out without triggering the trap. So ive waisted about 20 cans of sardines. I even have a game cam pic with the coon sitting outside of the trap eating a sardine.

Ive tried hunting them at night with a spotlight but i can never seem to find any when i go out!

I have one game cam pic with 9 coons under my feeder at one time.

please help

Posted By: yanta61

Re: COONS!!! please help - 10/13/09 03:40 PM

get a peace of wire and tie the can of sardine to the back of the trap......this way they can't pull it out of the trap and have to work at it.... you don't have to open the can of sardines all the way. you can just poke some holes in it

Posted By: MELackey

Re: COONS!!! please help - 10/13/09 03:42 PM

we use conibear traps with great success.

Posted By: Longhunter

Re: COONS!!! please help - 10/13/09 05:00 PM

A cage around your scatter plate will keep them from killing your feeder.

Posted By: DrPerry

Re: COONS!!! please help - 10/13/09 05:33 PM

better yet 4" pvc on the legs

works great as long as you don't have a platform to fill your feeder from

Posted By: Hawgg

Re: COONS!!! please help - 10/13/09 06:26 PM

C-4 and pungee sticks.

Posted By: jbhlsu

Re: COONS!!! please help - 10/13/09 07:26 PM

Originally Posted By: yanta61
get a peace of wire and tie the can of sardine to the back of the trap......this way they can't pull it out of the trap and have to work at it.... you don't have to open the can of sardines all the way. you can just poke some holes in it

They were doing the same thing...a little soft guage wire does the trick!
up

Posted By: RiverBum

Re: COONS!!! please help - 10/13/09 10:13 PM

Put Golden Malrin in your cans of sardines or wet cat food. They won't make it more than 50 yards!

Posted By: Hoytman

Re: COONS!!! please help - 10/13/09 10:27 PM

If ya dont have any cats or dogs around i second the conibear traps. You can set em on the trails leading to the feeders or cut a slot in a 5 gallon bucket for the springs with the sardines in the bucket and you will catch every coon around. Unfortunatley you can also kill any dog or cat that comes to the bait. Done alot of trapping in my day and if ya need some more ideas let me know.

Posted By: LordSweep

Re: COONS!!! please help - 10/13/09 11:42 PM

480 volt electric fence charger

Posted By: LordSweep

Re: COONS!!! please help - 10/13/09 11:44 PM

No really...this weekend i am installing a battery powered fence charger on my feeder.The coons are as big as the hogs.

Posted By: Luv2Hunt

Re: COONS!!! please help - 10/14/09 01:34 AM

Volunteer to take some of the forum guys on a predator, coon hunt and I'm sure your problem will go away quickly.

Posted By: peepers

Re: COONS!!! please help - 10/14/09 02:10 AM

tweek your trap trigger more sensitive

Re: COONS!!! please help - 10/14/09 02:14 AM

we also set out conibear traps in a 5 gallon bucket. +1 on the cats... We USED to have 4 barn cats. Never thought those jokers ventured that far from the house and barns... Now we have 3 cats.

Posted By: txhuntingguide

Re: COONS!!! please help - 10/14/09 02:28 AM

Originally Posted By: jbhlsu2001
Originally Posted By: yanta61

They were doing the same thing...a little soft guage wire does the trick!
up

+3 That is the trick. We did that 2 weeks ago and have caught 8 coons since.

Posted By: Egore_texas_hunter

Re: COONS!!! please help - 10/14/09 02:32 AM

Originally Posted By: DrPerry
better yet 4" pvc on the legs

works great as long as you don't have a platform to fill your feeder from

Im just curious, how does this actually help? I have 5- 8 coons hitting all of my feeders, They spun 300# of corn out of one of my feeders in two weeks time.

Posted By: da.wells

Re: COONS!!! please help - 10/14/09 02:10 PM

this Is how i take care of them!

although most lease holder dont agree. They so that they run off deer. that is a croc of B.S.

Posted By: rstewlandman

Re: COONS!!! please help - 10/14/09 02:36 PM

mini 14 will take care of them, they are like hogs you will never get rid of them, but the more you kill the less will be at the feeders, did you post the pic of the coon outside the trap eating a sardine, if so post the link, if not post the pic, that sounds funny!

Posted By: Makwa

Re: COONS!!! please help - 10/14/09 02:46 PM

I do a lot of trapping up here in the north. The 330's do work wonders on coon, as will a 280. wink

However there are lots of times I want to avoid incidental trapping of other species in kill traps. For coons I use an egg trap. Try it, you'll like it.

www.theeggtrapcompany.com or some variation thereof.

Posted By: ccbaseball

Re: COONS!!! please help - 10/14/09 03:00 PM

PM me I got the best way

Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: COONS!!! please help - 10/14/09 03:04 PM

Makwa, that sounds interesting, but for some reason all I got were little red x's instead of pics when I went to the sight. Do those look anything like these? Welcome to the forum by the way.

http://www.bossbuck.com/products/stands/hogtrap.html

Posted By: Hawgg

Re: COONS!!! please help - 10/14/09 03:27 PM

It is the same principal deerfeeder, the difference is the housing. The housing is plastic and works just fine. I use marshmallows and peanut butter for bait. Spread some peanut butter on one end of the marshmallow and stick it to the end of the egg and as soon as rocky sticks his paw in there, snap he is caught.

Posted By: Wildphilhickup

Re: COONS!!! please help - 10/14/09 06:27 PM

Rat Poison Block Baits and a wire clothes hanger.

Drill 1/8" holes in the center of the bait blocks.
Open up the clothes hanger.
Slide the bait blocks onto the hanger.
Hang the clothes hanger on your feeder.

*** The bait will either kill them or make them so sick they won't come back.

Posted By: Schanz

Re: COONS!!! please help - 10/14/09 06:38 PM

Originally Posted By: RiverBum
Put Golden Malrin in your cans of sardines or wet cat food. They won't make it more than 50 yards!

LOL!!! My brother did this next to his feeder. He nailed a tray high up on a tree and mixed a 7up w/ the fly bait. The next morning he checked it and there was 7 dead coons laying underneath the bait.

Re: COONS!!! please help - 10/14/09 07:41 PM

Deerfeeder.................try this link:

www.wildlifedamagecontrol.net/​raccoon/​eggtrap.php

The one you showed is not the same but works on a similar principal.

As with kill traps and trying to be species specific when trapping, I prefer not to use poison where I am as I could be killing and wasting other valuable furbearers and birds down the chain. I gather that is not much of a concern in some places.

Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: COONS!!! please help - 10/14/09 08:10 PM

Makwa, that link didn't take first go. No, down here only a handful of people seriously trap for fur. With things like coon, ringtails, possums, that get into the corn (bait) and damage equipment it's sort of a no holds barred thing. Finally got into that site. They have a picture of "The Griz" which is more like the link I sent. I like this, The Egg". Do you think it would hold up to a badger? Not really looking to trap one, but I have one we see around the house sometimes and he/she may get into it.

I'm not real moralistic about posion or whatever on varmints, but I can start that direction on snares. Have seen too many young deer caught in them on fencelines.

Re: COONS!!! please help - 10/14/09 09:16 PM

Deerfeeder........well a badger would probably wreck havoc with it, but I doubt one would get into it.

Where I live the poison could end up killing something I don't want killed or wasted, such as a lynx or fisher, as poison does not discriminate and with trapping I have to 'farm' the furbearers and practice conservation on how many of each species I kill. Plus I don't want to accidentally take out an eagle or other raptors......if it would just be magpies, crows or ravens.....who cares..........but things rarely work out that way.

But, where you live is not the same as here to be sure. Different place, different critters and different mindset.

Posted By: don k

Re: COONS!!! please help - 10/14/09 09:37 PM

I just use corn in the live trap and it works as good as anything. And no, the coons don't get out alive and give someone else a problem. We have probably got rid of over 50 coons on around 600 acres in the last year.

Posted By: kyotee1

Re: COONS!!! please help - 10/14/09 09:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Schanz
Originally Posted By: RiverBum

LOL!!! My brother did this next to his feeder. He nailed a tray high up on a tree and mixed a 7up w/ the fly bait. The next morning he checked it and there was 7 dead coons laying underneath the bait.

You realize what your brother did is illegal since there isn't a pesticide legal for furbearers and the one you used is for flies, not wildlife. Poisoning is indiscriminate killing of species (all but flies) other than the target species (flies) and would be classed as inhumane and illegal use of an over-the-counter pesticide and would end you up in federal court and possibly worst.

Good luck with doing as you did. Some people don't think before they act or the outcome on other species or people that just may eat that species if it ingested some degree of poison, but didn't kill it. How would you feel then? One way for another individual, but what about a family member? If that doesn't make you think and wonder then, nothing will.

Posted By: KG68

Re: COONS!!! please help - 10/14/09 09:53 PM

Trapped 70 plus coons in my back yard over the last 3 or 4 years using dry catfood. That is in the outskirts of town. Just sprinkle a small amount thru the top toward the rear of the trap.

Re: COONS!!! please help - 10/15/09 04:37 AM

using just the traps, I think the caretaker at our ranch probably killed 200 last year.

Posted By: da.wells

Re: COONS!!! please help - 10/15/09 05:08 AM

you can also make a bait station that nothing but coons opposum or squirrels can use like a tire on a rim put it on a small stump cut a few holes in the tire and fill it with corn. Maybe it will draw them away from your deer feeder. The problem with setting any trap at your feeder is checking it every day, and disturbing your hunting area everyday.
Or Just find you a coon hunter during the off season and let them hunt. Tell them to shoot all the coons they tree. That is what i do when asked.

Posted By: rifleman

Re: COONS!!! please help - 10/15/09 06:08 AM

If you know someone that has an old trash dumpster, you can set it out and put some corn, fish heads, etc in the bottom of it and push it up against a tree. A lot of them will get in there and not be able to get out. Regardless nothing you do will get rid of all of them.

Posted By: HAWKINSTXN

Re: COONS!!! please help - 10/16/09 06:41 AM

this is easy, screw tack strip (that you use for carpet)to the legs of your feeder... they will still hang around some but will not spin out your corn

Posted By: bassackwards dav

Re: COONS!!! please help - 10/16/09 11:44 AM

+1 on tack strips it works very well.

Posted By: Mr. Clean

Re: COONS!!! please help - 10/16/09 12:58 PM

I have had many problems with Coons on our place....the very best thing I have found for them is Lead Vitamins. rifle

Posted By: Luv2Hunt

Re: COONS!!! please help - 10/16/09 01:07 PM

Would it be naive of me to think I don't have any coons on my place. I've not necessarily seen any nor has my feeder ever run dry. Mostly mesquites on the place but there is a pond just about 200 yards away. What do you think? I don't have a game camera so I don't know.

Posted By: crash700

Re: COONS!!! please help - 10/17/09 04:43 PM

You need to adjust the trigger on your live trap. I would suggest some Conibear Body Grippers, get the 220's. I have been taking coons out of mine almost every night. They require a bit of grip strength to set, but they work very well. The down side is the trap does not discriminate, it will catch dogs too. Of course if you have dogs at your feeder, you may want to get rid of them.

Posted By: fixed blade

Re: COONS!!! please help - 10/17/09 06:44 PM

Dig a hole in the ground about 6 inches deep and put your bait in the hole. Now place your live trap over the bait hole, with the hole close to the trip pan and put some simple tent stakes in the ground to keep them from flipping the trap over. The coon will walk in and start diging through the wire bottom and really working hard to get that bait but cannot, they will set the trap off trying and then there you are one in the can...

Posted By: Redboneman

Re: COONS!!! please help - 10/17/09 09:07 PM

I prefer to use dogs. clap

If your in the San Antonio area, I know that myself and a couple of other guys are looking for a place to run coon. We have absolutely no interest in anything but your coons. We are just some guys who love running coon dogs. We all use shock collars and none of our dogs run deer. period. Let me know if your in the area. Thanks.

Redboneman

Posted By: mossyoakman

Re: COONS!!! please help - 10/18/09 12:07 PM

put some peanut butter jars open around but away from your feeder it will distract them from the feeder it seemed to work for me i have not seen any on my game cam since and i had a pic with 7 of them in one pic.

Posted By: father of 4

Re: COONS!!! please help - 10/18/09 01:56 PM

Go to the local hardware store or hunting store and get some leg traps. Take them out, set your corn around the trap in a circle, not in the middle of it. When you go out to check them, have your 22. Get a coon, pop it in the head, reset the trap, then try again.

Posted By: redog

Re: COONS!!! please help - 10/18/09 08:49 PM

when using bait traps do you need a trappers lic.?

Posted By: rifleman

Re: COONS!!! please help - 10/18/09 10:44 PM

I believe you do if you plan on selling any part of the animal.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum