Texas Hunting Forum

How do you hide buying guns from your wives.

Posted By: RBrandonDuck

How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 07:32 PM

Hey guys,
My name is Brandon and I am an gun addict. How do you guys go about hiding your purchases from your wives. As you can tell from my 500 mag post I am not good at it. I have been married for 3 months and I haven't figured it out yet. All help is needed

Posted By: dapenko

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 07:34 PM

Should have married a woman into guns like I did...just sayin.

Posted By: txhunter24

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 07:34 PM

Marry a woman who encourages hunting and firearm purchases. Dont need to hide anything from a good woman. up

Posted By: RYNO wheels

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 07:35 PM

First thing I would do is make sure she isn't a member on the THF!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 07:35 PM

Hello. My name is Joe and I'm a gun addict as well. Wow, I feel much better admiting this in a public forum, but it's not going to stop my addiction. Do yourself a favor and just tell her upfront and don't try to hide it.

Posted By: LG

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 07:36 PM

It's an investment! Gun safe and hide the keys/combo. "bulid up a stash" a little cash at a time etc...

Posted By: dapenko

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 07:37 PM

Matter of fact mine WANTS to see and hold every gun I purchase and NEVER asks how much! Yeah, I'm one lucky SOB.

Posted By: Fooshman

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 07:38 PM

My gf buys more guns than I do.

Posted By: Mr. Clean

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 07:39 PM

Hello...My name is Kirk...I too am a GUN ADDICT.

I just tell my wife, "Oh Baby, I have had that one for years...I just took it out to use it a lil'bit!!!"

Seriously, tell her you found one and what a great investment they are. I bought and sold so many guns this past year, it paid for our vacation.

Posted By: Superduty

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 07:40 PM

Just tell her you traded the new gun for something you had laying around. Like binoculars, old ladder, or say the guy needed the cash bad and you bought it super cheap, with the economy and all. Its a deal you couldn't pass up.

BTw, my safe is full cause of most of those execuses.

Shane

Posted By: nutbehindthebolt

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 07:40 PM

once you have bought enough guns, they all sorta look alike to most women, you just have to be careful not to pull out too many at the same time. she will never know the difference. good luck

Posted By: TX_Huntress

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 07:43 PM

Don't hide anything! As long as you aren't putting restrictions on her spending while you're buying things, it shouldn't matter.

Posted By: huntandfish

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 07:45 PM

I thought I was the only one that loves to buy guns(I call it love, easier then addicted). I always think I have the perfect rifle. A few months later I find another perfect one. Then they get traded/swapped around. My local gunshop owner laughs and tells everybody he rents me guns, for I never keep them long enough. I'm always trading them in for something else. My wife has seen so many rifles/pistols come and go. Even her own rifle, a remington mountain rifle ss/laminated in .260 that was accurized by hill country rifle got traded off for my Kimber Montnaa the other day!! She was pissed once she found out(My big mouth). Then I had to go trade some other rifles in to get her a Kimber Montana in .243 that should be in Friday!! I've been looking for that perfect rifle forever.

Posted By: hunter_sawyer

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 07:50 PM

I got my wife involved in shooting before we got married. Now, whenevr I buy buy a gun (that I dont really need) I tell her I bought it for her. She thinks I'm sweet and I can buy guns whenever I want.

Posted By: PrimitiveHunter

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 07:51 PM

Buy the gun, leave it behind the seat of your truck till she's in the shower, then sneak it in among you others. Don't bring it out for a while and then (if you're as old as me), you can say you don't remember how much you paid for it or exactly when you got it but it must not have been much and been a good while back. That's the way to do it if you don't want to outright lie.

If you can lie, just tell her you traded a couple of your other guns for it so you actually reduced the number of guns you have.

As an addition to my other short list of "Nevers", never let her know how many guns you have.

The only reason I keep these things close to my chest is that every time I buy something for me, she thinks I need to buy something for her. She doesn't care how many guns I have as long as she gets something out of the deal.

Posted By: dkershen

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 07:53 PM

Don't hide it.. just find something she spends $$ on to justify your expenditure. I have a 10-1 ratio I apply against the wifes shoes. Her full shoe closet equals my full gun safe. And everybodies happy.

Just wish shoes appreciated in value like guns. smile

Posted By: rugger

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 07:54 PM

Originally Posted By: huntersdaddy
I got my wife involved in shooting before we got married. Now, whenevr I buy buy a gun (that I dont really need) I tell her I bought it for her. She thinks I'm sweet and I can buy guns whenever I want.

Ha ha. I do the same. Every new gun i bring home is "for her".

Posted By: Fatalwishes' Wife

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 07:54 PM

My wife owns more guns than I do lol. Shouldn't have to hide anything. Doesn't build trust and without trust there is no relationship period.

Posted By: q-dot

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 08:01 PM

My bride and I have been together for 30 years...early on we created our mad money accounts...we pay into it each pay day...doesn't matter how much you decide on...just decide to do it every pay day and stick with it...she doesn't care what I spend my mad money on nor do I care what she spends her mad money on...sure cuts down on a lot of fussing, hiding and sneaking shtuff in the house...good luck to you...

Posted By: rattlesnake

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 08:01 PM

Buy a gun safe. ALl guns look the same to most women.

Posted By: Big Will

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 08:02 PM

Buying guns is 1 of my hobbies and my wife understands that. I guess Im just lucky.

Posted By: BackStrapper

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 08:05 PM

"honey I have had that gun for years" works everytime

Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 08:09 PM

My wife's dad was a gunsmith, she is usually right in the middle of all the gun buyng decsions.

Posted By: colt45-90

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 08:09 PM

if mine says anything, I say lets go look in your shoe closet, nothing else is said.

Posted By: wife2huntandfish

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 08:11 PM

Originally Posted By: huntandfish
I thought I was the only one that loves to buy guns(I call it love, easier then addicted). I always think I have the perfect rifle. A few months later I find another perfect one. Then they get traded/swapped around. My local gunshop owner laughs and tells everybody he rents me guns, for I never keep them long enough. I'm always trading them in for something else. My wife has seen so many rifles/pistols come and go. Even her own rifle, a remington mountain rifle ss/laminated in .260 that was accurized by hill country rifle got traded off for my Kimber Montnaa the other day!! She was pissed once she found out(My big mouth). Then I had to go trade some other rifles in to get her a Kimber Montana in .243 that should be in Friday!! I've been looking for that perfect rifle forever.

I am his wife, and he changes guns like underwear, but that's cool, as long as I can still keep my couple. And, yes, it helps to be married to someone with similar interests, or someone easily persuaded...

Posted By: d.g.ruff

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 08:11 PM

I just buy something for her every now and then. Like I bought a $120 ring off here a while back. I'll buy her a necklace every now and then too. That way she CAN'T b!tch too much...

Posted By: PrimitiveHunter

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: BackStrapper
"honey I have had that gun for years" works everytime

Every time. Besides, having secrets are half the fun of the whole thing. Who wants their wife to know everything about them and everything they're doing? Dirty little secrets (like a new gun) are one of the small acts of civil disobedience that are good to have. That way when she starts in on something, you can always think to yourself "Ha! She doesn't know about me new gun!". Of course, when she asks why you're smiling, you have to think fast!

Posted By: LarryC

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 08:15 PM

Originally Posted By: q-dot
My bride and I have been together for 30 years...early on we created our mad money accounts...we pay into it each pay day...doesn't matter how much you decide on...just decide to do it every pay day and stick with it...she doesn't care what I spend my mad money on nor do I care what she spends her mad money on...sure cuts down on a lot of fussing, hiding and sneaking shtuff in the house...good luck to you...

I've been married for 20 years and we did the same thing early on. Sure makes things a lot easier, but she still rolls her eyes each time a bring home another gun or fishing pole.

Posted By: six_anthonys

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 08:19 PM

This is an easy one...

1. Set her up her own bank account and put $500 in it.
2. Everytime you buy a gun put a little love money in her account.

You will be amazed what a private bank account for your wife will do for your marriage, s#$ life, general peace and freedom. Women love stability and their own little stash of cash really helps!

Later in life....When you have teenagers that love to hunt like I do..then buying two new berretas last weekend is just guns for the kids....Blame it on the kids and your wife will just laugh and no big deal...

Posted By: six_anthonys

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 08:21 PM

Originally Posted By: LarryC

I've been married for 20 years and we did the same thing early on. Sure makes things a lot easier, but she still rolls her eyes each time a bring home another gun or fishing pole.

Larry C has the right idea...I did not see his post....

Posted By: luv2brode

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 08:21 PM

get her into guns then she will be all for it

Posted By: huntandfish

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 08:22 PM

Originally Posted By: wife2huntandfish
Originally Posted By: huntandfish

I am his wife, and he changes guns like underwear, but that's cool, as long as I can still keep my couple. And, yes, it helps to be married to someone with similar interests, or someone easily persuaded...

I just e-mailed my wife about people talking on the forum about buying guns and gf's/wives geeting mad or not caring at all. She e-mailed me back to look at the post again and she already registered/left a post. Dam she's quick!! She also know my main online stomping grounds as you can see.

Posted By: wife2huntandfish

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 08:23 PM

Originally Posted By: six_anthonys
This is an easy one...

1. Set her up her own bank account and put $500 in it.
2. Everytime you buy a gun put a little love money in her account.

You will be amazed what a private bank account for your wife will do for your marriage, s#$ life, general peace and freedom. Women love stability and their own little stash of cash really helps!

Later in life....When you have teenagers that love to hunt like I do..then buying two new berretas last weekend is just guns for the kids....Blame it on the kids and your wife will just laugh and no big deal...

I hope huntandfish reads this wink

Posted By: Diablobowhunter

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 08:23 PM

Just had my 26th anniversary and if you start hiding stuff from your wife....gonna be a problem later. I am lucky that my wife grew up in the country in Mississippi and doesn't really have a problem with anything related to the outdoors. But if you want your marriage to last...you have to be upfront and honest about your addiction. Or you can be like my Dad, get rid of her, get another, get rid of her, get another..........he lives in a retirement community in an efficiency apartment on disability and social security....I'm just sayin'

Posted By: hornedfrog

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 08:24 PM

I guess I am one of the lucky ones as well. A few weeks before our wedding my bride told me that I could not buy any more guns. I think my responce was along the lines of get the he## out of my jeep! Then she explained that she ment I could not buy any more untill I picked up the new safe that was bought and paid for. She said she hated to watch me dig the guns out of the back. So, she was right and we got the new safe in the house. She has figured out that there is always going to be one more gun. Lately they have been for her as well.

Posted By: Justin T

Me and my friend from work call this the "manvelope"!

Posted By: TreeBass

My wife normally buys me guns grin

Since she loves to hunt and fish, she ends up spending more in academy than I do bang

Posted By: helomech

I just ask my wife how much money we have (she takes care of the money) and if we have enough money I buy the gun I want. If not I wait.

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 08:26 PM

Most companies have direct deposit.

Skim a little off via DD into a secret secret account.

Read quick this message will disappear shortly

Posted By: TreeBass

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 08:26 PM

Originally Posted By: helomech
I just ask my wife how much money we have (she takes care of the money) and if we have enough money I buy the gun I want. If not I wait.

yes sir, sounds like my house

Posted By: gogburn

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 08:27 PM

Hello, my name is Gary and I am a gun addict.

My first wife told me I had too many guns. We were walking through Bass Pro one day and saw a 51 gun safe. I told her that if a man wasn't supposed to have 51 guns they wouldn't make a safe to hold 51 guns. up

That didn't work , on to the second wife.

Posted By: clay breaker

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 08:28 PM

Go out and buy enough parts and tools to build you about half a dozen Ar15's and AR10's. Scatter the parts all over the house, tell her you got them cheap. Put one together and sell it and split the money with her, and tell her that covered all the parts. Then build the others and put them in your safe. Problem solved.

Posted By: 30ft jon boat

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 08:29 PM

i dont lie to my wife ever..and no she's not behind me...we discuss all purchases and i tell her this is what makes me happy..so she say's ok 99%of the time..if all bills are paid and money in the savings i say whats it gonna hurt..hand her$500 and tell her to have a good weekend and you go shoot your gun...if you have been married for 3 months and are lying and trying to find ways to hide stuff.. you dont need a hunting forum..jmo

Posted By: psycho0819

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 08:41 PM

You could do what I did with my last one. I walked in and said, "Babe, I just did a side job and made about $1500. It's all extra money that we'll never miss if we spend it. Here's $500 for you and the kid, and I'm gonna use my $1k to buy a new rifle". How can she argue against $500 of free money?

Jay

PS, I could have made well over $2k on that job, no-one will ever know.

Posted By: CFR

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 08:44 PM

Originally Posted By: nutbehindthebolt
once you have bought enough guns, they all sorta look alike to most women, you just have to be careful not to pull out too many at the same time. she will never know the difference. good luck
I found the above post to be quite accurate! I also employ the tactic of telling her what I am doing while she is watching TV and not paying attention. That way, you can honestly say that you told her. In all seriousness, I think you've got to be fair with her as well. Don't complain about how she spends money if you don't want her upset with your own purchases. I am lucky enough to have a wife that if she wants something, she will just buy it, and she knows I'll do the same. You should not have to feel guilty about things. At the same time, if you really can't afford that new gun, just be honest with yourself that you need to wait.

I will share my best one yet....A couple of years ago my wife needed to swing by her office on a Saturday to do an hour or so of work. We were planning on seeing a movie afterwards, so I went with her. I went in the office of one of her coworkers to play on the computer. By the time she was ready to go, I had placed an order for a Rock River Arms Varmint AR along with a Meopta scope to go on. I don't think she was too pleased with me that day, but she got over it.

Posted By: Curly

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 08:44 PM

Never have never will.

Posted By: Wild Boar

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 08:48 PM

Im buying and selling all the time she has gotten used to it after 15 years and dont every say anything anymore. But I remember one time we had a throw down in walmart over me buying a gun and I just showed her and bought 2 insteed of 1 boy was she pissed, after that i solved the problem by just getting my on checking account and I dont have to ask for the check book or if we have enough money for me to send alittle. My buddies always have to ask permissing from their wives before buying anything and thats crazy, I didn't get married to have someone tell what I can spend my money on.

Posted By: Justin T

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 08:49 PM

Don't lie. Only been married 3 months here as well, and I certainly wouldn't be lying. Whenever I go hunting, I always "ask" for permission, to which she usually says yes. That way she knows I have thought of her. Before I bought my kayak, I talked to her about it. Before I spend 200 bucks on a new tripod, I will talk to her about it.

"A happy wife is a happy life."

Posted By: texretvet

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 09:08 PM

Originally Posted By: helomech

That's pretty much how it works around here.

I do sell some stuff on eBay, and if I have sold enough to buy a gun I want, then I will buy it.

If you are young and just starting out, sometimes money can be tight. If that is the reason, STOP!! Get your priorities straight, and buy the things you need to live first. You might want to have something for home defense and hunting, but a shotgun can take care of both of those needs. The time will come when you can pretty much get what you want.

My wife and I spent a lot of time being poor (well, paying our bills and having nothing left over) when I was going to college, and when I first got out of the military. We did without the things we wanted to get the things we needed.

Now if she wants a new Coach purse or if I want a gun, we can usually do it.

Sorry for the lecture. BUT, if you can afford it and she still says no way, you are a grown man and can buy what you want, she is not your mommy, she is your partner.

Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 09:27 PM

Guys, If you think you are pulling the wool over the wife's eyes you are badly mistaken. She know when you are lying even if you have only been married a very short time. I have done like q-dot for many, many years and has worked very well for me. She has her mad money and I have mine. I am lucky because my wife does enjoy hunting and fishing so when I tell her I have bought a gun or a fishing rod for her, I better mean it cause she will claim it in a heart beat as hers.

Posted By: highlonesome1

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 09:31 PM

Buying a gun is an investment not unlike gold stocks etc...
She is down with whatever if we can afford it. I have quit smoking and plan on passing the savings on to a mini 14.

I have found that it is NOT easier to beg forgiveness.....

Posted By: Geoff927

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 09:33 PM

I don't tell my wife anything, she dosen't like me anyway.

Posted By: Frisbie

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 09:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Mr. Clean
Hello...My name is Kirk...I too am a GUN ADDICT.

I just tell my wife, "Oh Baby, I have had that one for years...I just took it out to use it a lil'bit!!!"

Seriously, tell her you found one and what a great investment they are. I bought and sold so many guns this past year, it paid for our vacation.

Wow. so you have really been putting it to everyone here on the forum I guess..... ouch man. grin

Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 09:35 PM

Guys, If you think you are pulling the wool over the wife's eyes you are badly mistaken. She know when you are lying even if you have only been married a very short time. I have done like q-dot for many, many years and has worked very well for me. She has her mad money and I have mine. I am lucky because my wife does enjoy hunting and fishing so when I tell her I have bought a gun or a fishing rod for her, I better mean it cause she will claim it in a heart beat as hers.

Posted By: rifleman

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 09:47 PM

I don't hide it... I suggest that "she" needs a new gun every once in a while and those are great cuz I can dbl and triple up on the expenses of those. I can get away with a lot, though not married yet (might as well be though)... but I fully acknowledge that I will be biting the pillow and taking it like a man at the malls when she decides to have a spending spree.

Posted By: Longhunter

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 09:56 PM

Hi, I'm Mel and I'm a gun addict.

My wife likes eating deer meat and most other stuff I shoot. She has bought a couple guns for me over the years. We first met at the start of hunting season, I had just returned from an elk hunt. We were still together @ the end of hunting season. The first to last the whole season. We married in May. That was 26 years ago. Its been good, and I DON'T lie to her no reason to. king

Posted By: rifleman

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 10:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Longhunter
Hi, I'm Mel and I'm a gun addict.

We first met at the start of hunting season, I had just returned from an elk hunt. We were still together @ the end of hunting season. king

now that you mention it...this woman I'm fixin' to marry is the first one I haven't sent packing when hunting season rolled around. Think I may have finally gotten my priorities in order.

Posted By: decook

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 10:45 PM

Ever watch Quigley Down Under?
I bought a custom Lone Star rolling block Gove sidelever in 45-90 for BPCR long range. I told my wife, sez I "You get me this gun I'll look just like Tom Sellack"

So now every time I go to the gun rack at Academy or Cabelas, all I hear is
"I'm WAITING...."

Moral of the story, don't do what I did.

-dave

Posted By: RIDER

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 10:58 PM

TRY TELLING THE TRUTH! IT IS EASIER TELLING THE TRUTH THAN TRYING TO REMENBER A LIE.

Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 11:03 PM

I never lie to mine when I aquire a new gun. I have a safe full of them, and when she sees me carry one in she assumes it is just one of them. I save up some cash and when the time is right I get one. If she did ask I would tell her yeah its new.

Posted By: gogburn

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 11:03 PM

Originally Posted By: highlonesome1
How do you hide buying guns from your wives

Maybe if you only had one wife (at a time) it would be easier. confused2

Posted By: Hunts_With_Stick

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 11:14 PM

Originally Posted By: highlonesome1
Buying a gun is an investment not unlike gold stocks etc...
She is down with whatever if we can afford it. I have quit smoking and plan on passing the savings on to a mini 14.

I have found that it is NOT easier to beg forgiveness.....

X2! Telling her straight up is alot easier than making up reasons why you did it. For me it's all a matter of common sense if we can afford it then go do it if not then don't.

Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 11:30 PM

My wife is an accountant, and does the books for our gun shop.... so I just buy what I want and go on about my business.

Posted By: kidde

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 11:45 PM

I tell my wife up front. Lying is no good because you will get caught. I'd rather listen to her complain for an hour now than for months later because I lied. It takes a lifetime to be honest, an instant to become a liar. With that out of the way, I have on occasion "forgot" to mention something I purchased but if she asks I always tell the truth. If she asks.
Paul

Posted By: BigSexyCamo

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/06/09 11:49 PM

as long as my bills are paid first my wife doesn't care.

Posted By: peepers

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/07/09 12:11 AM

i seem to always get the greatest deal on guns....... so she thinks

Posted By: Greg

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/07/09 12:34 AM

I have friends who do, but I don't hide anything from my wife. Our relationship is built on trust and I sure would not want her not being honest with me. We talk about my purchases and if it's a good time... then I do... if not... I'm okay with it.

Most of my purchases just come from others I have sold.

I bought an ATV with the $$ I got from an AR I sold. Bought a boat with the money I got from selling the ATV. Bought my most recent project with the money I got from selling the boat. It seems that each time I add a little $$ to it, and over the 9 years we have been married, I have rolled up quite a bit.

Yes I have a problem... I know. rofl

Posted By: Luv2Hunt

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/07/09 12:48 AM

To promote peace in the house, tell your wife. Better yet, get her blessing and all is well.

Posted By: catwhacker

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/07/09 01:30 AM

If you have only been married 3 months you should have other things on your mind. I just a few short years you will have plenty of time to buy guns. Don't lie to her you will regret it.

Posted By: dickiedoo

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/07/09 01:49 AM

the last gun i got my wife just said STOP but didnt say stop what.

Posted By: RamItOne

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/07/09 02:06 AM

Simple just keep them at the girlfriends house smile

Posted By: WTGuide

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/07/09 03:03 AM

I tell mine I'll buy what I want...when I want....and she don't like it tuff poopie...I don't answer to her and I'm the bread winner around here... coach....................................................................................................................so does that sound manly enough?... peep rofl

Posted By: notamtchance

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/07/09 03:10 AM

Just be honest that you what one and how much it is. If you're not and she figures it out on her own you're dead meat. And it will kill her truest in you.

Posted By: gnw98

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/07/09 03:11 AM

hey you could tell her that you bought (whatever gun you are wanting)before you actually buy it and based on her reaction then you will know. If you doesnt try to kill you or something then heck go out and go ahead and buy the thang, but if she grabs the frying pan or something then just laugh and tell her you were just kidding and you havent bought anything... LOL Or you could just use this quote....ITS BETTER TO ASK FORGIVENESS THAN PERMISSON!!!!

' Ps I wouldnt lie to my wife though smile

Posted By: MrRoachie

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/07/09 03:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
My gf buys more guns than I do.

Does she have a sister???? Send pictures of guns!!!!

Posted By: NDN98

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/07/09 05:05 AM

My wife and I are big fans of the "don't ask, don't tell" philosophy when it come to my guns or her shoes. I can't tell the difference between any of her 10 pairs of black shoes and she cant tell the diffenece between a shotgun or a rifle.

Posted By: DSST_Construction

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/07/09 05:16 AM

Originally Posted By: notamtchance
Just be honest that you what one and how much it is. If you're not and she figures it out on her own you're dead meat. And it will kill her truest in you.

AWWWWWW

Posted By: janie

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/07/09 01:12 PM

I buy more firearms than my hubby does. He's never once complained. Go figure. wink

Posted By: copperhead

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/07/09 03:04 PM

Have her buy it for you.

Posted By: elkhunter7x6

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/08/09 12:18 AM

My wife does not know the combination to my gun safe!

Posted By: passthru

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/08/09 01:05 AM

I still carry my pair. I bought a Taurus 850CIA Ultralite today. I deny her nothing I can afford either. She is the queen but the king still rules. stir

Posted By: Stax

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/08/09 01:30 AM

My wifes Dad was a gun collector...I got lucky!

If you need an ace in the hole try this....

"Honey Steve needed some money, this thing is worth about $1500 bucks........I got it for $100, I was thinking of selling it next year and using the money for our vacation!!!

You will keep the gun, she will forget and you will get some "quality time" because she will thinks it SWEET!!! banana

Posted By: BMowatt

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/08/09 01:35 AM

I go with don't ask don't tell

Posted By: rstewlandman

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/08/09 02:25 AM

not telling is a good way to wind up broke or divorced or both, if your financially able then what would be the problem in telling her, if your not, quit acting like a 2 year old and man up and support your family....if you have to hide it or omit it you shouldn't buy it, this is not a man of the house issue, it is more of an issue of trust, if you start hiding guns she'll start hiding purses....then her hotel reciepts...My opinion is to have a joint account, do a family budget and allot a certain amount of money each money for each to blow, if you can save your blow money to buy a gun its your choice and you won't need to hide it....

Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/08/09 02:34 AM

Without reading 4 pages of this stuff all I can say is, never attempt to deceive or lie to your spouse, If you want to keep her. This from a man who’s been married longer than most here has been alive.

Posted By: 1chevy02

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/08/09 04:25 AM

fixing to get married and now shes asking for a new shotgun for pheasant season
last year for christmas she bought me a savage 12bvss so i guess im lucky?

Posted By: Curtis

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/08/09 01:29 PM

You don't hide it. You shouldn't have to.

Posted By: Bradbury

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/08/09 01:48 PM

buy a safe, dont give her the combo or give it to her one digit off. take it in the house when she is not there, put it in the safe, drive 100 miles get rid of the box. But who would keep secrets? LOL

Posted By: Shake1

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/08/09 06:28 PM

What happens when the shoe's on the other foot? I do not hide this stuff from my wife as there would be no trust in the relationship. Best of luck.

Posted By: OFBHWG

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/08/09 07:03 PM

Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
Without reading 4 pages of this stuff all I can say is, never attempt to deceive or lie to your spouse, If you want to keep her. This from a man who’s been married longer than most here has been alive.

X2

Posted By: Hawgg

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/08/09 08:52 PM

I don't, never have never will. Deception is just as bad as lieing or stealing, she is my wife and deserves honesty.

Marriage is a 2 way road and I like mine smooth.

Posted By: binoguy

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/08/09 09:52 PM

i'm no marriage counselor but if you hide anything from your lady, it'll come back and bite hard. if you can't be honest with her, you got bigger problems

Posted By: Chivo

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/09/09 12:30 PM

No wife ~ no problem

Posted By: lakewaydr50

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/09/09 01:31 PM

I'm married to a total non-hunter/non-gun woman, have been for 17 years. When I told her I was going to buy new duck guns last year the first words out of her mouth was; "why can't you use the ones you already have?" At that point all I owned as far as shotguns go, was a vintage A5 Belgium Browning and a single barrel Winchester shotgun the belonged to my great grandfather. I had to explain to her that steel shot would destroy both of these guns and she finally understood. I started a savings account a couple of yers ago just for hunting purchases, I had to shut it down early this year so I didn't have it this time around. I took a pretty good pay cut and had to adjust my budget. I am plan to start it back up after Christmas. This is the best way around making those purchases I found, she still ask questions when I spend the money and I have it in the account but she understands that the whole idea behind doing the savings account is so I can feed my habit so it's OK. Never and I mean NEVER take money out of you checking account or budget to pay for these purchases especially if your are just getting started or you have kids or kid(s) on the way. Also if she is paying the bills I highly encourage you to sit down with her and participate in this process. We had several "run ins" at first over how much money ought to be left over at the end of the month at first. The problem was I just didn't realize actually how much money it took to keep us afloat. My two cents.

Posted By: n-all

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/09/09 02:05 PM

Just buy her something nice everytime you buy a gun..and all is well.

Posted By: rstewlandman

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/09/09 02:06 PM

Hiding purchases and other things from a spouse is how those stories of the man (or woman) have to have a sit down with their wife (husband) and explain to them WE not I are in 60K in Credit card debt and now are being sued...which is the only reason for the confession.....The number 1 cause of divorce in North America......and this thread explains why...

Posted By: MELackey

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/09/09 02:35 PM

depends on the finances. I've managed to parlay Christmas and birthday money into a few guns. I've also managed to get a few from my Dad for what he has in them when he finds a good deal. My last purchase really hurt. I wanted a Glock 22, but the $425 was not on the approved spending list. The wife saw my guns. Each one was different, but to her guns are guns and she thought I had more than enough. Tried explaining that a decent semi-auto hand-gun was necessary, but it didn't free up the money. Had to part with a cheap 9mm Norinco and my first handgun, S&W k frame .357.

You just do what you have to do. Cut a neighbors lawn for $25 per week (did that right after I got married). Do odd jobs. Maybe you sit down with the wife and tell her you want the hand cannon and it costs this much. Tell her how you plan to save the money by brown bagging it for x number of weeks / months and the first of the whenever, you want to purchase the gun.

If she says no based on the idea that she just doesn't want you to have it, then you're just stuck. Squirrel away the money, save your pocket change, and get it when you have anough cash squirreled away. BUT, if things are tight and bills are behind, good luck explaining how you ended up with extra money squirreled away...

Posted By: brian88

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/10/09 06:17 PM

i don't never would in fact she is the first person i show a new gun too

Posted By: MacD37

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/10/09 11:57 PM

HOW DO YOU HIDE BUYING GUNS FROM YOUR WIVES?

First off I only have one wife at a time, and I found one who didn't know one gun from another, and I had a lot of guns before I met her. The only problem I have had is she can count! confused2

Maybe the Telaban has the right idea not letting their women go to school! cowboy texas

Posted By: notamtchance

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/11/09 03:38 AM

My wife said, "separate bank account". LOL.

Posted By: fishhuntgolfgeek

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/11/09 07:28 AM

I've got this one down pat....When I bought new golf clubs such as drivers or fairway woods,...I would put my old club head covers on the new clubs in my bag. I kept my bag in the garage and the wife never took notice. So with new rifles or handguns...I just put the new weapon in my old cases for transport. I store most my weapons in a gun safe. So when it's time to take it out for hunting or shooting...I just put the new weapon in the old case and walk on by the wife like nothing happened.....It's a chore...but it works for me.... wink

Posted By: John2

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/11/09 06:21 PM

I dont know why you guys need to cover anything up,i'm honest with my wife and if I want anything I usually go get it.She is the one that handles our finances so she knows when and what I buy.Lots of times she incourages me to buy but just like now,she wants me to buy a new truck but i'm not interested.On the other hand I tell her to buy herself something or if I know she is wanting then I usually buy it for her.Keep everything up front is the best policy.

Posted By: Makwa

Re: How do you hide buying guns from your wives. - 10/11/09 08:30 PM

I can't hide it. She is a big game hunter herself and while she lets me do all the reloading, she would spot a new rifle in a heartbeat. She's not hard to get along with if there is something I really think I need. I have enough rifles and shotguns to cover the spectrum and I actually have things weeded out to what works and I can't part with.......I prefer to use my spare coin on hunting trips, not more toys.

Must be old guy syndrome.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum