Texas Hunting Forum

GOAT PROOF

Posted By: redog

GOAT PROOF - 09/15/09 03:40 AM

I know were gonna have some fun with this one but whats the best way to goat proof your feeders???

Posted By: Hunts_With_Stick

Re: GOAT PROOF - 09/15/09 03:54 AM

Man I hunted in Sonora and there were tons of goats I hated it! I got a pellet gun and started shooting and sooner than later they left. Shoot Billy and the herd will follow!!

Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: GOAT PROOF - 09/15/09 03:57 AM

goat fence? like netwire, or cattle pannels??

Posted By: rifleman

Re: GOAT PROOF - 09/15/09 04:02 AM

shoot all the goats...they are worthless.

Re: GOAT PROOF - 09/15/09 04:04 AM

not so true rifleman, weve considered doin away with some cattle on one place and thorin in some goats.... pretty profitable creatures....

Posted By: JCB

Re: GOAT PROOF - 09/15/09 04:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Brandon A
not so true rifleman, weve considered doin away with some cattle on one place and thorin in some goats.... pretty profitable creatures....

Thats odd......our landowner just sold off all of his goats and got into cattle!

Posted By: rifleman

Re: GOAT PROOF - 09/15/09 04:20 AM

show goats?

Re: GOAT PROOF - 09/15/09 04:29 AM

Originally Posted By: JCB
Originally Posted By: Brandon A

Thats odd......our landowner just sold off all of his goats and got into cattle!

lol

Re: GOAT PROOF - 09/15/09 04:29 AM

Originally Posted By: rifleman
show goats?

nope, just goats, i think it has to do with what kinda vegetation u got.

Posted By: AdgerC15

Re: GOAT PROOF - 09/15/09 04:50 AM

hair goats...

Posted By: LG

Re: GOAT PROOF - 09/15/09 12:29 PM

Eletric fence!

Posted By: PrimitiveHunter

Re: GOAT PROOF - 09/15/09 12:56 PM

Originally Posted By: redog
I know were gonna have some fun with this one but whats the best way to goat proof your feeders???

Posted By: BenBob

Re: GOAT PROOF - 09/15/09 01:34 PM

If you do the math, the rancher can make more in 2 years off of 3 crops of kids which can be done than he can make in 2 years of leasing to hunters. I would have never believed this until I sat down and figured it out. Of course having hunters and raising livestock is the ideal situation for the landowner.

TO keep the goats out, buy the 4 inch bull wire panels and use them instead of just normal fencing and enclose your feeders area with this. It comes in heights that goats cannot clear. Do not buy the 6 inch bull wire, because they can get their horns through there and then they are stuck. If you use normal wire fencing, you have to stretch it and dig holes for posts and all of that. For the bullwire, just buy or make a T post driver and drive T posts into the ground and wire the bullwire to them and you are done.

Posted By: postoak

Re: GOAT PROOF - 09/15/09 02:36 PM

Are people eating that much kid, or is this some sort of fad like emu?

Posted By: cody

Re: GOAT PROOF - 09/15/09 03:08 PM

Fad. It won't stick.

Re: GOAT PROOF - 09/15/09 03:20 PM

Goats are no fad. They have been around since Moby Dick was a minnow. They do not take much to survive. You eliminate a few predators and you can have a 150% kids crop of 3 kiddings in 2 years. Do the math and see for yourself.

Posted By: cody

Re: GOAT PROOF - 09/15/09 03:26 PM

I know the existence of the goat is not a fad. They didn't materialize out of thin air 15 years ago or anything. I'm saying the meat goats will not become the next major food source for the U.S. JMO of course. I've yet to see goat in the meat counter at United, I don't think burger king is sellin a goat burger. I'm saying the meat craze is a fad. I don't think it will keep up much longer. I'm not a goat hater by anymeans, my family made their living off hair goats back in the days when hair goats were a viable means of income.

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: GOAT PROOF - 09/15/09 03:37 PM

I don't think he saying goats are a fad just the current high kid prices

Posted By: bubbagunn

Re: GOAT PROOF - 09/15/09 03:42 PM

I was always told that you need a fence that will hold water to keep a goat in. I guess you need a fence that will hold water to keep a goat out!!

Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: GOAT PROOF - 09/15/09 03:52 PM

Originally Posted By: BenBob
If you do the math, the rancher can make more in 2 years off of 3 crops of kids which can be done than he can make in 2 years of leasing to hunters. I would have never believed this until I sat down and figured it out. Of course having hunters and raising livestock is the ideal situation for the landowner.

TO keep the goats out, buy the 4 inch bull wire panels and use them instead of just normal fencing and enclose your feeders area with this. It comes in heights that goats cannot clear. Do not buy the 6 inch bull wire, because they can get their horns through there and then they are stuck. If you use normal wire fencing, you have to stretch it and dig holes for posts and all of that. For the bullwire, just buy or make a T post driver and drive T posts into the ground and wire the bullwire to them and you are done.

+1 up

Goats will eat the same browse your deer like and they will eat higher up on the plants. Your rancher needs to keep their numbers within reasonable limits.

Posted By: wellingtontx

Re: GOAT PROOF - 09/15/09 03:53 PM

According to my BIL nothing worse than removing a dead, rotting goat from your feeder pen after it has managed to get in, get stuck and died !

Texas Heat, feeder pen, dead goat and beer - PRICELESS

Still laughing about that one !!

Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: GOAT PROOF - 09/15/09 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By: BenBob
Goats are no fad. They have been around since Moby Dick was a minnow. They do not take much to survive. You eliminate a few predators and you can have a 150% kids crop of 3 kiddings in 2 years. Do the math and see for yourself.

Like you said, no fad at all, they are being slaughtered and shipped to the middle east at a good price.

Posted By: Mr. Clean

Re: GOAT PROOF - 09/15/09 04:03 PM

A steady supply of lead works well.

Re: GOAT PROOF - 09/15/09 05:41 PM

Originally Posted By: cody
I know the existence of the goat is not a fad. They didn't materialize out of thin air 15 years ago or anything. I'm saying the meat goats will not become the next major food source for the U.S. JMO of course. I've yet to see goat in the meat counter at United, I don't think burger king is sellin a goat burger. I'm saying the meat craze is a fad. I don't think it will keep up much longer. I'm not a goat hater by anymeans, my family made their living off hair goats back in the days when hair goats were a viable means of income.

I do not care what they are used for. My point was that you can make more money off of goats in 2 years than you can off of hunting in 2 years. With that in mind, you need to keep the rancher happy and not be shooting up his goats. If he has to choose, the goats make him more money and they never shoot up the place and they never give him any lip. So, if the rancher has to choose, you get the boot and the goats stay.

Posted By: ralph

Re: GOAT PROOF - 09/15/09 10:58 PM

A man who raises goats told me that to cattle and horses a fence is a barrier-to a goat,it's a challenge!

My dad told me the way to determine if a fence would keep goats in or out is to build a fence and throw a bucket of water against it.

If any water goes through, a goat can get out (or in)!

Posted By: TexasEd

Re: GOAT PROOF - 09/16/09 03:30 AM

we had goats as a kid and the priests from the church across the road would always call up and tell us they were in the cemetery eating all the flowers.

Never could keep them in even with big conduit yokes around their necks.

Posted By: HOG SNIPER

Re: GOAT PROOF - 09/16/09 03:36 AM

300 mag should do it

Posted By: rstewlandman

Re: GOAT PROOF - 09/16/09 03:46 AM

yup thats one long going fad....we use goat wire in menard county, not to many problems with goats getting in with the exception of a billy that climbed over a low spot, but we fixed the low spot and no trouble since.....been hunting with goats 15 years, with a lot less problems than we get from cows in Madisonville

Posted By: poisonivie

Re: GOAT PROOF - 09/16/09 04:20 AM

Need to use 4x4 or 6x12 mesh. The 6x12, they can stick their head thru and can still get it back out. The 6x6 is just a "gill net". Goat is the #1 most consumed meat in the world. It just hasn't caught on here in the USA.

Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: GOAT PROOF - 09/16/09 08:26 AM

Originally Posted By: ralph
A man who raises goats told me that to cattle and horses a fence is a barrier-to a goat,it's a challenge!

My dad told me the way to determine if a fence would keep goats in or out is to build a fence and throw a bucket of water against it.

If any water goes through, a goat can get out (or in)!

Your dad must have went to the same school I did. There is no such thing as a goat proof fence, a fence only slows them down.

Posted By: passthru

Re: GOAT PROOF - 09/18/09 12:27 AM

Originally Posted By: poisonivie
Need to use 4x4 or 6x12 mesh. The 6x12, they can stick their head thru and can still get it back out. The 6x6 is just a "gill net". Goat is the #1 most consumed meat in the world. It just hasn't caught on here in the USA.

Carp is #1 fish consumed in the rest of the world. Aint caught on here yet either. Got goats or sheep I will hunt somewhere else.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum