Texas Hunting Forum

Brady Tx.

Posted By: redog

Brady Tx. - 08/20/09 05:20 PM

Does anyone hunt north of Brady Tx close to the river or on the river.I am interested in two leases up there one is on hwy 283 and the other is on hwy 377

I have never hunted in that part of the country and am looking for info on how big the deer are there...horn and body size, if there is a lot of deer in the area and if there is hogs....any other info would be great also...
Thanks in advance,
Shane

Posted By: huntindude

Re: Brady Tx. - 08/20/09 09:32 PM

I hunt 2 or 3 times a year in brady on ranch rd 2028. You wont be disappointed in the numbers, but don't expect trophies. Unless hunting high fence with good management. I usually see 15-20 deer at a time at the feeders. Plenty of axis also. Only one pig killed in 15 years. They think it was livestock pig that got loose from heavy rain 5-6 years ago.

Posted By: txhunter24

Re: Brady Tx. - 08/20/09 09:36 PM

Some of the best sheer numbers of deer in the state. Like fishindude said dont expect trophies everywhere but there are some mixed in out that way.

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Brady Tx. - 08/20/09 09:55 PM

Closer to the Brady mountians the bigger the deer get.

probely 2 to 4 deer in McCulloch County break the 160 mark every year

Re: Brady Tx. - 08/21/09 03:12 AM

Thanks for all the info guys ...I found out that one of the leases is close to Lohn tx. on the river. would 130-140`s be call a trophy for the area?

Posted By: 4x4willie

Re: Brady Tx. - 08/21/09 03:21 AM

lohn area should have some really nice deer,lot of people are trying to manage that area so chances are that you could get 130+ i grew up there and the deer are very plentiful and horns are very nice

Posted By: Hunts_With_Stick

Re: Brady Tx. - 08/21/09 03:28 AM

Originally Posted By: redog
Thanks for all the info guys ...I found out that one of the leases is close to Lohn tx. on the river. would 130-140`s be call a trophy for the area?

If a 130-140 is not a trophy in your book then I would really like to see your trophy room!

Re: Brady Tx. - 08/21/09 03:58 AM

I guess it depends on what part of Texas you hunt in ....But yeah a 130-140 is a trophy to me and the reason i ask is that some reply's are saying don`t expect any trophy deer in that area but yes i would love to have a place to manage.....Trophy room well mine still under construction!!..Thanks Stick for your reply and thanks again to all others ...keep`um comm`in!!

Posted By: cuzican

Re: Brady Tx. - 08/21/09 02:44 PM

I hunt a few miles south of brady, like everyone says there are plenty of deer. I have never seen an exotic on a low fence area south of town, but i have seen a few axis on 377 just north of the brady airport. South of town, we are covered up with hogs.

We have nice bucks, but i have not seen anything over 130 in the 6 years i have been hunting there. We only shoot 10 pt or better that appear to be over 4 yrs, so i watch a lot of deer through out the year.

If you can get on a lease in that general area for a decent price i would.

Re: Brady Tx. - 08/21/09 03:14 PM

I guess it depends on what part of Texas you hunt in ....But yeah a 130-140 is a trophy to me and the reason i ask is that some reply's are saying don`t expect any trophy deer in that area but yes i would love to have a place to manage.....Trophy room well mine still under construction!!..Thanks Stick for your reply and thanks again to all others ...keep`um comm`in!!

Brady has great genetics.. Just like any where else.. manage for age and you get big deer.

Hot spots are Salt Gap-Cow Gap and voca

As far as no trophies bang

Jacboy's feed

See for yourself

Re: Brady Tx. - 08/21/09 03:24 PM

HTB

Another good place for pictures... 100 percent bowhunting

Re: Brady Tx. - 08/21/09 03:27 PM

Originally Posted By: jgiles
HTB

Isnt this a high fence operation?.... just sayin

Re: Brady Tx. - 08/21/09 03:30 PM

Originally Posted By: txhunter24
HTB

LMAO,,, NO!!!!!!!! main part is 4k ALL low fence... I share a fence with them.

All there places are low fence

Re: Brady Tx. - 08/21/09 03:34 PM

HTB

LMAO,,, NO!!!!!!!! main part is 4k low fence... I share a fence with them

I have seen some of their hunts on the outdoor channel and they are loaded with awesome deer! You are a blessed man to neighbor them JGiles. I always figured they were high fenced. I would hunt near Brady if I had the opportunity lets put it that way. up

Re: Brady Tx. - 08/21/09 03:38 PM

HTB

LMAO,,, NO!!!!!!!! main part is 4k low fence... I share a fence with them

I have seen some of their hunts on the outdoor channel and they are loaded with awesome deer! You are a blessed man to neighbor them JGiles. I always figured they were high fenced. I would hunt near Brady if I had the opportunity lets put it that way. up

The guy that runs it Ken is a top notch guy..

If you scroll though jocby's picutes you will find a flier for protien... now that ranch is high fenced... 8k but its all native genetics.

Don't think there is a place in tx that has bad genetics... build it and they will come laugh

Hunting is what you make of it. But yes I am blessed and am extremely thankful

Posted By: BBDhillcountry

Re: Brady Tx. - 08/26/09 02:01 AM

you share a fence with them too?

Re: Brady Tx. - 08/26/09 03:28 AM

Originally Posted By: BBDhillcountry
you share a fence with them too?

nidea same one as you

Posted By: Big Tony

Re: Brady Tx. - 08/26/09 03:36 AM

Does anyone hunt north of Brady Tx close to the river or on the river.I am interested in two leases up there one is on hwy 283 and the other is on hwy 377

I have never hunted in that part of the country and am looking for info on how big the deer are there...horn and body size, if there is a lot of deer in the area and if there is hogs....any other info would be great also...
Thanks in advance,
Shane

I hunt about 2 miles south of the Colorado, about 4 miles East of 377. This will be my 14th year on the lease. Awesome area, lots of Deer and Hogs. On an average, you should get a chance at a good one at least once a year, for comparison.
If ya want to get an idea on Deer density, Drive those county roads at night eek2

Re: Brady Tx. - 08/31/09 12:03 AM

Well im going to look at the 550ac place on the Co.river off of 283 been talking to the hunter that was there for four years ..said they have trained some dogs to hunt birds and the landowner does not allow dove hunting so there moving down the road...said lots of nice deer there but no hogs...thanks for all ya`lls info sounds like its worth checking out.

Posted By: Big Tony

Re: Brady Tx. - 08/31/09 12:11 AM

Let us know if it works out for you. Maybe we can meet up out there some time.

Posted By: o2bwest

Re: Brady Tx. - 08/31/09 12:17 AM

A good friend of mine has a ranch near Lohn. He has some really nice deer. The genetics are good in that area.

Re: Brady Tx. - 08/31/09 12:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Big Tony
Let us know if it works out for you. Maybe we can meet up out there some time.

Cool!! Will do...Going to look at it Sunday.

Posted By: Cody Malone

Re: Brady Tx. - 08/31/09 02:38 AM

good luck, hope u found ya a good one

Re: Brady Tx. - 09/04/09 04:11 AM

Im going up Sunday to look at this lease that borders the Co. river... on the map it looks like a lot of open fields but on the river areas it looks to be a lot of brush....What kind of soil is there black dirt,sandy,red dirt???? and what do they plant in the fields there in the winter/summer in that area said lease is a little past fife Tx. off of 765 ....
Thanks guys,
Shane

Posted By: bubbagunn

Re: Brady Tx. - 09/04/09 12:42 PM

I have 3 ranches in the general area. 1 in Salt Gap, 1 in Melvin and one between Melvin and Eden. Dont let the wide open land fool you there are some awesome deer in that area. I cut through 765 through Lohn sometimes to go to Salt Gap if Im running late, there is some BA land through there. I'll be down there this weekend working on bow blinds. Good Luck!! They call it black dirt out there but it is nothing like North Tx black dirt!! Most of the crops in that areas are cotton, oats, wheat and sorghum grasses. (some maise)

Re: Brady Tx. - 09/07/09 04:26 PM

Well we went up to look at the lease and it look good... saw some deer and tracks its right on the Co.river so i hope its a good area cause we went a head and leased it... seem like a good ol landowner but strict...i like that tho....someone that cares about his place and dont let it get trash out....old school lease but for the most part just common sense is all it takes .......

Again thinks all of you for your advice and help......

Any good info on how to hunt the area would be great!

Shane

Posted By: Hornsfan

Re: Brady Tx. - 10/23/09 04:38 AM

Been hunting Brady since the early 80's. I don't expect many trophies either. Below are some pics of my 'culls'

Happy Hunting!

Posted By: BORN2HUNT

Re: Brady Tx. - 10/23/09 07:10 PM

I live about 45 min. from Brady and have family there. If it were me I would take a lease around Brady. There are 1000's of deer. Some of the biggest bucks ive seen were down around Brady.

Posted By: rstewlandman

Re: Brady Tx. - 10/23/09 08:17 PM

I hunt in Menard County just south of Brady and yes there are lots of Deer, but we don't have any as big as the pics above

Posted By: TxFisher

Re: Brady Tx. - 10/25/09 01:18 AM

We have nice bucks, but i have not seen anything over 130 in the 6 years i have been hunting there. We only shoot 10 pt or better that appear to be over 4 yrs, so i watch a lot of deer through out the year.

Hey cuzican, I don't mean to knock your management practices, but only shooting 10 pts or better on your lease is probably one of the worst things you can do. After a few years all you are going to have a are a bunch of old mature 6,7,8, and 9pts running around on your lease, and after a while they are going to be the major breeders in your deer herd. If you really want to have big bucks on your place you have to kill the inferior bucks on the property, and shoot as many doe as you can legally kill. Also let the young 10 pts mature, which you said that you are doing .

We learned the hard way on our lease, 10 years ago a 120" deer on our lease was a trophy. Today we are killing mid-140s class deer and it is all due to the fact that we killed as many doe as we legally could, we let the young 10 pts mature, and we took out every inferior buck we could take. JMO

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum