Texas Hunting Forum

King Ranch Norias Division

Posted By: Ramsey

King Ranch Norias Division - 03/01/24 04:11 AM

I just came back from a Nilgai hunt pn the King Ranch. The lodge we stayed in was awesome and beyond equipted with everything we would ever need. We also got a tour of the 240,000 acres which consisted of miles of coastline, sand dunes, Oak forest, coastal planes and brush country. The tour was a close second to the hunt itself, Whitetail deer, pigs, javelina, Oryx, Waterbuck, Nilgai and turkey were everywhere. Saw some outstanding mature deer all over. This should be a consideration for the bucketlist hunter. I give our trip a 10 out of 10. Hunt post will come from buddy who is a much better writer than me.
Posted By: freerange

Re: King Ranch Norias Division - 03/01/24 04:18 AM

worthless
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: King Ranch Norias Division - 03/01/24 12:57 PM

clap
Posted By: BigPig

Re: King Ranch Norias Division - 03/01/24 01:05 PM

I want to see the video of Judd humping it 9 miles in a day
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: King Ranch Norias Division - 03/01/24 01:11 PM

Magical place no doubt. The huge sand dunes engulfing the oak motts are spectacluar - almost hard for the mind to fathom. As referenced, the views are spectacular, but the hunting is awesome and my oh my, fishing that coast line can be a blast.

What a resource. Did you get on both sides of 77 or only the East side?
Posted By: tlk

Re: King Ranch Norias Division - 03/01/24 02:27 PM

I got to hunt deer on the King ranch years ago. Amazing place. The deer were almost tame.

I am in process of finishing up a great book about how the King ranch came to be. Fascinating read.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: erathar

Re: King Ranch Norias Division - 03/01/24 02:40 PM

I’m lucky to be on the ranch just about everyday. It’s a pretty amazing place. I’m also going to be hunting Nilgai a little later this spring. Looking forward to it.
Posted By: Gringo Bling

Re: King Ranch Norias Division - 03/01/24 06:22 PM

I was fortunate to be able to hunt with my FIL on the Norias many times until he died 10 years ago tomorrow. We killed some beautiful bucks and 6 nilgai (4 bulls, 2 cows). Also, many turkey, pigs, javelinas, quail, dove, and a couple of rattlesnakes. Even helped Border Patrol hunt down some illegals crossing through one morning. By far, the best hunting paradise I've ever gotten to experience.
Posted By: Capt.JVH

Re: King Ranch Norias Division - 03/01/24 07:40 PM

I'm anxious to hear more about this hunt and see some pictures! I have been planning on doing one of these hunts at the King Ranch for a few years. Back in my boarding officer days with the Coast Guard I got more than one good drug bust on that shoreline. I got to see some monster deer on the shore as well with thermals and night vision while out on patrols.

Since those days I've wanted to go back and hunt there.

Let's see some pictures!
Posted By: UpRound

Re: King Ranch Norias Division - 03/01/24 10:42 PM

My house is 200 yards from the King Ranch Laureles Division, sometimes I see big rack bucks walking the fence line!
Posted By: erathar

Re: King Ranch Norias Division - 03/02/24 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by UpRound
My house is 200 yards from the King Ranch Laureles Division, sometimes I see big rack bucks walking the fence line!

Good to see some fellow South Texans.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: King Ranch Norias Division - 03/02/24 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by erathar
Originally Posted by UpRound

Good to see some fellow South Texans.

Yes it is. We are few and far between.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: King Ranch Norias Division - 03/02/24 02:52 AM

Got some of those tame bucks on video with an old VHS video camera back in early 90’s. They just stood in the brush right off the road waiting for us to drop some corn in the road.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: King Ranch Norias Division - 03/02/24 03:54 AM

spoiler alert.

huge bull peep
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: King Ranch Norias Division - 03/02/24 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
Got some of those tame bucks on video with an old VHS video camera back in early 90’s. They just stood in the brush right off the road waiting for us to drop some corn in the road.

They are not tame anymore, sound of a truck and they bolt. Year round hunting!!! Deer are reasonably tame
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: King Ranch Norias Division - 03/02/24 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Ramsey

They are not tame anymore, sound of a truck and they bolt. Year round hunting!!! Deer are reasonably tame

When I was there in ‘91 quail hunting, we saw a big blue nilgai bull about a mile away on top of a sand dune. As soon as it saw us, it took off running.

Re: King Ranch Norias Division - 03/03/24 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Ramsey

When I was there in ‘91 quail hunting, we saw a big blue nilgai bull about a mile away on top of a sand dune. As soon as it saw us, it took off running.

Nilgai have always been like that. The deer on the west side of 77 not so much. I’ll never forget when my bud was in the open, rattled in a near 180 and then arrowed him.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: King Ranch Norias Division - 03/05/24 06:54 PM

What does the King Ranch do to control hog numbers? Just curious if ya'll just drove by the hogs and waved?

Re: King Ranch Norias Division - 03/05/24 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by BenBob
What does the King Ranch do to control hog numbers? Just curious if ya'll just drove by the hogs and waved?

They occassionally have these things called helicopters.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: King Ranch Norias Division - 03/05/24 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone

They occasionally have these things called helicopters.

Wading fished baffin one time and was 200 yards off beach watching them hammer them for 2 hours. It was pretty cool, they would push them in to the marsh and then hammer down, then go round them up more and do it again.
Posted By: freerange

Re: King Ranch Norias Division - 03/05/24 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone

They occassionally have these things called helicopters.

Flew our place yesterday and today for hogs and coyotes.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum