Texas Hunting Forum

East Texas Hunting - Bannister or Moore Plantation?

Posted By: b34r

East Texas Hunting - Bannister or Moore Plantation? - 02/13/24 04:39 PM

Hi everyone,
I'm taking my brother and a army vet friend of mine who have never hog hunted in their lives to east texas so that we can hunt with rifles and camp out. I normally bow hunt, but looking forward to this.

Which area is better to run into hogs? Bannister or Moore Plantation?
Last year I went out with a group to Moor Plantation and we saw a lot of sing but no hogs the entire 3 days there. And we went everywhere around that area. Is Bannister a better bet or should I be looking at other areas?

Thanks
Posted By: freerange

Re: East Texas Hunting - Bannister or Moore Plantation? - 02/16/24 12:50 AM

Sorry you arent getting any feedback on this thread. I never heard of those places so maybe thats the case with many.
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: East Texas Hunting - Bannister or Moore Plantation? - 02/16/24 01:32 AM

Hunters Creek Ranch. East Texas/Mount Vernon 75457
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: East Texas Hunting - Bannister or Moore Plantation? - 02/20/24 03:58 AM

Boar’s Den area of https://www.fws.gov/refuge/trinity-river. It’s about 2800 acres with plenty of pigs. That’s totally contingent on the river level. If the Trinity is out of its banks, the entire area will be, at least, 18” in water for pretty much all of the season.

Turkey hunted Moore’s a couple of times. It is rich with wildlife. But, you know Pigs are nomads. Their presence is unpredictable.
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: East Texas Hunting - Bannister or Moore Plantation? - 02/23/24 11:21 PM

I hunted bannister about 4-5 years ago, but not for hogs. I did see plenty of sign for them, but like reloader 28 said they are nomads. With the warmer temps coming on I would stay close to the many creeks flowing through the area. You may have to walk and bust them out of beds. If that is your plan, hunt into the wind. You can get very close to them if you do that. If you talk to the wardens or rangers in the area they might point you in the write area. Good luck. Smoke em if you can.
Posted By: b34r

Re: East Texas Hunting - Bannister or Moore Plantation? - 03/01/24 05:52 AM

Thank you everyone for your replies, super helpful. I'm going to call the warden on the way in and see what they've been seeing in the area(s). I'll leave an update after the hunt. Thanks again
Posted By: kry226

Re: East Texas Hunting - Bannister or Moore Plantation? - 03/01/24 11:51 AM

I've hunted Bannister a lot but never saw any pigs. Always saw deer though, and killed a few too.
Posted By: Yellowhammer

Re: East Texas Hunting - Bannister or Moore Plantation? - 03/03/24 01:29 AM

I’ve seen and killed a few hogs while deer hunting at Bannister, but don’t see them all that often.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum