Texas Hunting Forum

weird track

Posted By: hopalong

weird track - 02/08/24 03:11 PM

I am of the opinion this may be a big cat, pic is at our dumpster and the boot is a size 11/ 13" long

we don't have any dogs big enough to make the track, at least none in close proximity.

what say the thf?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JTS

Re: weird track - 02/08/24 03:13 PM

I'm thinking dog, I see the nail print. In soft ground they look a lot bigger than normal.
Posted By: FowlTrouble

Re: weird track - 02/08/24 03:14 PM

Canine
Posted By: hopalong

Re: weird track - 02/08/24 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by JTS
I'm thinking dog, I see the nail print. In soft ground they look a lot bigger than normal.

what I thought too, but looked it up and cougars will walk with claws out.

only thing making me think it is a cat is riverby ranch (new lake mitigation land) guys said a few months back they saw one in the same location.

no reason to tell us they did if they didn't.

gonna check with our game warden too, see if he wants to come look at it.

I am in far ne fannin county, about 2 mi. south of the red river.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: weird track - 02/08/24 03:24 PM

Looks exactly like a dog track to me.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: weird track - 02/08/24 03:37 PM

wrong pad for a cat
Posted By: Double AC

Re: weird track - 02/08/24 04:27 PM

Big dog, cat prints are a lot more round
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: weird track - 02/08/24 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
wrong pad for a cat

Originally Posted by Double AC

Both these would have gotten my vote, from past understanding. I thought it was pretty well understood.

But after internet searching, the following graphic makes it clear as mud. That could easily be a hind-leg print from a cougar. (I still lean dog, though).

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: weird track - 02/08/24 04:42 PM

Dog.

Re: weird track - 02/08/24 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
wrong pad for a cat

Both these would have gotten my vote, from past understanding. I thought it was pretty well understood.

But after internet searching, the following graphic makes it clear as mud. That could easily be a hind-leg print from a cougar. (I still lean dog, though).

[Linked Image]

That's a neat graphic, haven't seen it before. Based on that it looks most like the front track of a dog to my eyes. Size relation between toe and heel pads and the triangular shaped heel pad is what is driving me there
Posted By: Wytex

Re: weird track - 02/08/24 05:20 PM

Looks like you're getting the same responses as over on TFF, it's a dog.
When a big cat leaves claw marks they are not as prominent as a canine.

Here are some mt lion tracks, the snow had stopped only about 45 minutes to an hour before we crossed them.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: weird track - 02/08/24 05:51 PM

Canine.

Heel pad proportion and shape all wrong for cat.

Don't bother your GW with it.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: weird track - 02/08/24 08:15 PM

From the size, I would suggest Great Pyrenees. Anybody near you have one, hopalong?
Posted By: Triton$

Re: weird track - 02/08/24 08:36 PM

It's still a canine track
Posted By: Triton$

Re: weird track - 02/08/24 08:39 PM

wrong pad for a cat

[Linked Image]

That print looks absolutely nothing like a feline print. Zero
Posted By: QMC SW/EXW

Re: weird track - 02/09/24 06:01 PM

Big dog.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: weird track - 02/09/24 06:06 PM

wrong pad for a cat

[Linked Image]

big cats are stealth predator, their feet spread out in loose median more then a canine, track a cat in the snow and you will under stand. thats a big doggie track
Posted By: J.G.

Re: weird track - 02/09/24 07:04 PM

Looks just like the track my 80 pound Labrador leaves.
Posted By: LeftHandStan

Re: weird track - 02/10/24 02:34 AM

From the size, I would suggest Great Pyrenees. Anybody near you have one, hopalong?

A Great Pyrenees showed up on my porch about 11 months ago. Black and white. Double dewclaws and all. Scared the [censored] out of me. He's still around, and is a fine dog friend.

The tracks in the OP look EXACTLY like his.

Re: weird track - 02/10/24 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by LeftHandStan

A Great Pyrenees showed up on my porch about 11 months ago. Black and white. Double dewclaws and all. Scared the [censored] out of me. He's still around, and is a fine dog friend.

A lot wander off as part of their instinct to guard more territory, a lot get dumped because people don’t understand the needs of LGDs and that they are not just big white golden retrievers. All will be loyal to you til they die and will not hesitate to defend property and life
Posted By: LeftHandStan

Re: weird track - 02/10/24 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by LeftHandStan

A lot wander off as part of their instinct to guard more territory, a lot get dumped because people don’t understand the needs of LGDs and that they are not just big white golden retrievers. All will be loyal to you til they die and will not hesitate to defend property and life

He's ride or die for sure. I don't know his backstory, but I'd wager some jerkface just dumped him.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum