Texas Hunting Forum

Wind Calculations

Posted By: BlackSnake

Wind Calculations - 01/08/24 10:13 PM

Is there a crosswind chart for hunting over 250 plus yards with a 338? Wanted to reach out to some pigs 350 to 450 yards but man it’s windy today. 30 to 40mph with 50 gusts. At what distance to you factor crosswind while hunting?
Posted By: P_102

Re: Wind Calculations - 01/08/24 10:17 PM

Lots of available apps you can download to your phone. Several here use Shooter, $10, but there are free ones out there too.
You’ll need to know velocity, bc, etc.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Wind Calculations - 01/08/24 10:17 PM

You have to know your BC and your muzzle velocity. Then you can plug it into any one of many different calculators (I usually use Hornady's). Just knowing that it it a 338 (lapua?) does not give enough info.
Posted By: TPACK

Re: Wind Calculations - 01/08/24 10:24 PM

Just wait for a day that’s not windy. Problem solved.

Re: Wind Calculations - 01/08/24 10:25 PM

Once you know your full value wind drift, use this chart to adjust for the angle of the wind.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Wind Calculations - 01/08/24 10:50 PM

Federal has a great one for free, printable too.
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Wind Calculations - 01/08/24 10:55 PM

With that much wind and varied gusts we've learned to shoot either right into to it or with it. Gusts make shooting crosswind at higher speeds too iffy for me.
Factor in terrain and how it can funnel wind, you may have some higher or lower speeds between you and the targets.
Go take some practice shots and see how well you can shoot in it maybe.

Re: Wind Calculations - 01/09/24 12:21 AM

I wasn’t trying to get you to answer my windage torrent I was asking if there is a chart that I can plug all my info in for a 338. I have two of them. One scoped in MOA and the other in Mill
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Wind Calculations - 01/09/24 12:45 AM

I’d love to meet the person that can reliably shoot in gusts like this at any sort of distance.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Wind Calculations - 01/09/24 01:12 AM

Consider practicing in windy conditions and figure it out first hand
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Wind Calculations - 01/09/24 01:27 AM

The most difficult part about wind is judging what it is doing at your target. Distance is science, wind is art.

.338 LM, 5 mph 3 or 9 o'clock to the shot.

200 yards 0 Mil
300 yards .1
400 yards .2
500 yards .3

Multiply all those by 3.43 and you'll get MOA.

200 yards 0 MOA
300 yards 1/4 to 1/2
400 yards 1/2 to 3/4
500 yards 1

3 or 9 o'clock, but now a 7-8 mph wind, multiply those values by 1.5
3 or 9 o'clock, but now a 10 mph wind, mutiply those values by 2
3 or 9 o'clock, but now 11 to 13 mph wind, multiply those values by 2.5
3 or 9 o'clock, but now 14 to 16 mph wind, mutiply those values by 3

You see the pattern. Like on the wheel, 1 or 2 o'clock, you start with your 5 mph, and cut it in half. Work from there.

This is why Mils are easier. Wind.

Re: Wind Calculations - 01/09/24 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by J.G.
The most difficult part about wind is judging what it is doing at your target. Distance is science, wind is art.

.338 LM, 5 mph 3 or 9 o'clock to the shot.

200 yards 0 Mil
300 yards .1
400 yards .2
500 yards .3

Multiply all those by 3.43 and you'll get MOA.

200 yards 0 MOA
300 yards 1/4 to 1/2
400 yards 1/2 to 3/4
500 yards 1

3 or 9 o'clock, but now a 7-8 mph wind, multiply those values by 1.5
3 or 9 o'clock, but now a 10 mph wind, mutiply those values by 2
3 or 9 o'clock, but now 11 to 13 mph wind, multiply those values by 2.5
3 or 9 o'clock, but now 14 to 16 mph wind, mutiply those values by 3

You see the pattern. Like on the wheel, 1 or 2 o'clock, you start with your 5 mph, and cut it in half. Work from there.

This is why Mils are easier. Wind.

This is more like what I’m asking for. Thank you.

I heard the wind explained like water flowing down a river. It can be calm and suddenly change in direction and speed. Water pushes up and swirls around faster as it hits objects such as stumps or rocks. Wind does exactly this. I would be shooting across 200 yards of canyon with crosswinds. Maybe further depending on the angle. Lots of varaitables, but this helps a lot. Thank you
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: Wind Calculations - 01/09/24 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Wytex
With that much wind and varied gusts we've learned to shoot either right into to it or with it. Gusts make shooting crosswind at higher speeds too iffy for me.
Factor in terrain and how it can funnel wind, you may have some higher or lower speeds between you and the targets.
Go take some practice shots and see how well you can shoot in it maybe.

Yup. Took a shot at a nice pronghorn buck NW of Casper a few years ago. Buck was 250 yards down in a deep draw, and I was up top. First shot was way right. Fortunately had three guys spotting for me and was able to make corrections on next shot. When we got down in the draw, wind was blowing almost opposite what it was on top.
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Wind Calculations - 01/09/24 02:28 AM

Most apps need the following

Bullet weight
Bullet BC
Bullet velocity
Sight in distance
Scope mounting height

Punch in all the variables and you'll get your data.

Re: Wind Calculations - 01/09/24 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I’d love to meet the person that can reliably shoot in gusts like this at any sort of distance.

cool2

Re: Wind Calculations - 01/09/24 03:02 AM

cool2

roflmao

I knew when I wrote that you’d post some dumb [censored] like this. I KNEW it would be you.

You and I will meet this year. You have my word.

Re: Wind Calculations - 01/09/24 03:15 AM

grin

I look forward to it!

Re: Wind Calculations - 01/09/24 05:13 AM

cool2

roflmao

I knew when I wrote that you’d post some dumb [censored] like this. I KNEW it would be you.

Jason's a good dude. And, yes, he can shoot in the wind. Senior and his son Michael can as well (also good guys), as can quite a few others that I've met at some of the matches that I've attended. I can not...yet.

Re: Wind Calculations - 01/09/24 05:23 AM

Yeah, yeah, we’ll see.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Wind Calculations - 01/09/24 05:56 AM

The problem is, when you get above 20+ mph and gusting, I can't tell the difference from a 25 to 35 mph or in between. I've spent a lot of time on a tower at 1000 yards in 25-40 mph. When the wind is that high, and if you miss, you can not correct for your shot quick enough to get a hit before the wind changes again.

To answer your original question, you will certainly need to factor in wind at 250 yards + with 25 mph or more wind. You will need to calculate it, based on your ammo specs, BC, distances and MOA or Mils. There's many 338 chamberings, so no clue what you are shooting.
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Wind Calculations - 01/09/24 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by unclebubba

cool2

roflmao

Jason's a good dude. And, yes, he can shoot in the wind. Senior and his son Michael can as well (also good guys), as can quite a few others that I've met at some of the matches that I've attended. I can not...yet.

What is your definition of "can shoot in the wind'?

Re: Wind Calculations - 01/09/24 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jgraider
[quote=unclebubba]

What is your definition of "can shoot in the wind'?

At some of the matches I've competed in, on brutally windy days some of the top finishers would score in the mid to upper 60's out of a possible 80 points.

Re: Wind Calculations - 01/09/24 03:36 PM

I've had the pleasure of watching the world's greatest sniper trainer and his "students" train up in Canadian, TX where the wind blows to some extent every day. The most accomplished long range shooter the sport has ever known lives there too, last name Tubb and had the same opportunity with him. It's really eye opening to watch the best shooters on the planet deal with consistently doping the wind. It's likely the internet experts who claim they've mastered the art are nowhere near the same league as these guys.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Wind Calculations - 01/09/24 03:39 PM

https://accuracy1st.com/

Known all over the world, trains military and LEO's and has a 360° range in Canadian, Texas. Students get to shoot in wind coming from all sides, depending on targets set up in a circular arrangement. It's not known wind from an established set up to fixed berms. Not that expensive for what you get, IMO.
Posted By: Sewer rat

Re: Wind Calculations - 01/09/24 03:40 PM

The wind impacts bullets at long distances way more than most people think. This past weekend we were shooting 500-1,000 yds and the winds were about as calm as they get around here and still at 500 yards the wind was pushing our bullets over 2’.

Tons of great apps out there to calculate this stuff. If you want to get serious about it buy a Kestrel.

Re: Wind Calculations - 01/09/24 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
https://accuracy1st.com/

Known all over the world, trains military and LEO's and has a 360° range in Canadian, Texas. Students get to shoot in wind coming from all sides, depending on targets set up in a circular arrangement. It's not known wind from an established set up to fixed berms. Not that expensive for what you get, IMO.

That's the ticket. They also have some gear every now and then that civilians don't even know exist.....thermal/NV stuff that is incredible.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum