Texas Hunting Forum

790#'s.

Posted By: 1860.colt

790#'s. - 09/25/23 02:35 AM

Seen were a 790# wild hog was caught around De Leon Tx.
Jan. 16 2015 Two hunters (not gonna mention names) caught a massive
wild hog the size of a grizzly bear. Using 2 bull dogs ta take it down
so they could tie the legs.
Biggest hog I've taken was roughly 300#'s. & that was a big one.
Looked like a pen raised down @ Old Sabine River WMA.
Have seen several down their that size.

Just find it hard ta believe a hog can get ta that size in wild.
As said the 300#'er looked as just got off farm.

Figured put it in discussion section.
Keep it friendly. Think it's been pen feed.

Pic of supposed 790 # hog
[Linked Image]

flag
Posted By: redchevy

Re: 790#'s. - 09/25/23 02:37 AM

Don’t buy if for a sec
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: 790#'s. - 09/25/23 02:55 AM

No way it’s the hog in the pic. I’m not going to comment on the weight but I’m guessing it was a domestic hog that got loose. The hog in the article is a big one but no telling how big. https://www.mysanantonio.com/sports...00-pound-hog-caught-in-Texas-6043871.php

Re: 790#'s. - 09/25/23 05:04 AM

krmitchell cheers that's sane article I seen , except pic's of hogs.
A hog ta get that big, some one tissue a feeding it.
300lb hog in wild is big. Ones i've seen & got were set free or escaped.
flag
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: 790#'s. - 09/25/23 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy
Don’t buy if for a sec

Me either. The natural thing to do is shoot the biggest one, which helps prevent/reduce huge wild one. Could it be true, I suppose, but I don't believe it.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: 790#'s. - 09/25/23 05:45 PM

Not a lot in the picture for scale except for the road. AT 790 lbs, I would expect it to be 7-8 feet long or really fat. Based on the road, it is not 7-8 feet long. Based on the shape, it isn't really fat.
Posted By: Hunter Daddy

Re: 790#'s. - 09/25/23 06:00 PM

That looks like maybe a 250# boar.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: 790#'s. - 09/25/23 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Hunter Daddy
That looks like maybe a 250# boar.

That pig don't weigh no 250.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: 790#'s. - 09/25/23 06:51 PM

200lb hog in the pic!
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: 790#'s. - 09/25/23 07:08 PM

Doesn't even look like a hog you'd see on U.S. soil.

Betting photo is from another country and hog is nowhere near the claimed weight.

Re: 790#'s. - 09/25/23 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by flintknapper

Betting photo is from another country and hog is nowhere near the claimed weight.

Ding Ding Ding Ding! That is because the picture of the hog isn't from US soil. It isn't from North America. It isn't even from the northern hemisphere. It is just a pic stolen from online. It is a giant forest hog from a park in Kenya, not even the same species as our hogs. It is Hylochoerus meinertzhageni. They get up to 600 lbs or so, but that isn't particularly large one.

https://www.istockphoto.com/photo/g...ational-park-kenya-gm925718008-254027386
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_forest_hog

The hog has been misidentified here and here, even being attributed to Indiana, LOL.
https://a-z-animals.com/reference/tusk/
https://www.indianola-ia.com/opinio...a2be938-d307-11ed-8899-bb9ff1deea52.html

Colt is up to his old tricks again.
Posted By: QMC SW/EXW

Re: 790#'s. - 09/25/23 11:24 PM

The hog in the photo looks like a Giant Forest Hog sow, see the prominent wart on the cheek. Not found in the USA, found in the northern parts of Africa where the savannah and heavy rain forest meet.
Posted By: reeder05

Re: 790#'s. - 09/26/23 12:26 AM

I am going to bet that the majority of people on this forum have never seen a 300lb hog...

200lbs is alot bigger than one would think.

Posted By: angus1956

Re: 790#'s. - 09/26/23 01:02 AM

Ok I'm 270 so this hog is close to 300. smile

[Linked Image]
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: 790#'s. - 09/26/23 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by angus1956

[Linked Image]

Nice Boar.

I'm thinking it has 20 lbs. of caked MUD on it. up
Posted By: angus1956

Re: 790#'s. - 09/26/23 01:19 AM

He sure was the boss hog in our area till I shot him.
Lots of Mudd for protection when fighting.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: 790#'s. - 09/26/23 01:24 AM

The biggest one that we've weighed was close to 250...and that was a monster. Most pigs on our place never make it to 200, much less 750. I'm always skeptical of anybody claiming much over 300. It's super rare for pigs to get any bigger than that in Texas. Pigs have too many two legged predators here.
Posted By: kry226

Re: 790#'s. - 09/26/23 02:04 AM

Here's a fat sow I shot back in 2010. The girth was amazing and looks to be comparable to Angus's boar, but the pic doesn't do her justice. She's likely full of piggies too. That's a bull-barreled M700 leaning against her.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: 790#'s. - 09/26/23 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by angus1956

[Linked Image]

I didn't get this one on a scale, how much you think he weighed? [Linked Image]
Posted By: Blank

Re: 790#'s. - 09/26/23 04:59 PM

I think big hog stories are exaggerated even more than big bass. Some certainly get big, but most never get close to an actual scale!!! Here's some big ones, weighed, and their pics.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/hunting/biggest-wild-hogs-ever/
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: 790#'s. - 09/26/23 05:34 PM

This is the De Leon pig.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Wytex

Re: 790#'s. - 09/26/23 07:13 PM

Looks like a fed feral hog, no mud on it?

Huge though, good golly.
Posted By: Cochise

Re: 790#'s. - 09/26/23 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
This is the De Leon pig.

[Linked Image]

Looks like a Duroc that had been fed and either was let out or got out. IIRC you couldn't see the pigs ears in all but one of the photos posted and in that one you could barely make out an ear notch.

People get pigs to feed out or their kid to show and do not have any clue what a PITA they are to keep. Back in the day we had a Duroc boar that was in the 850 range and a York that was pushing 750 - all these people claiming to shoot "600 pound 'wild' pigs" ain't - with few exceptions.
Posted By: rickym

Re: 790#'s. - 09/26/23 08:15 PM

Did a whitetail hunt with Blaine back in 2018 on his grandfathers ranch near De Leon.
We talked about the hog, he showed me a few other photos of it. Also told me it was barely 600 pounds.
He’s a forum member, or at least he was years ago.
Posted By: Blank

Re: 790#'s. - 09/26/23 08:48 PM

Google is your friend. I did a quick search, and was shocked to read this. That is a LOT of pork!!! Apparently, they were taking him to display at the World's Fair in Chicago when he fell and broke a leg and was put down.

"History’s Largest pig was Big Bill, a Poland-China breed who weighed in at a hefty 1,157 kg (2,552 lb) and was 2.74 m (9 ft) long. This huge hog stood 1.52 m (5 ft) to his shoulder, about the same as an average-height 12-year-old girl."

Re: 790#'s. - 09/26/23 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy

Ding Ding Ding Ding! That is because the picture of the hog isn't from US soil. It isn't from North America. It isn't even from the northern hemisphere. It is just a pic stolen from online. It is a giant forest hog from a park in Kenya, not even the same species as our hogs. It is Hylochoerus meinertzhageni. They get up to 600 lbs or so, but that isn't particularly large one.

The hog has been misidentified here and here, even being attributed to Indiana, LOL.

Tis NOT my story.
That's the pic that was shown in article i seen.
krmitchell has posted a thread. It shows different hog
cheers don't believe one get that big in wild.
Have a good one.
flag
Posted By: MClark

Re: 790#'s. - 09/27/23 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by krmitchell
No way it’s the hog in the pic. I’m not going to comment on the weight but I’m guessing it was a domestic hog that got loose. The hog in the article is a big one but no telling how big. https://www.mysanantonio.com/sports...00-pound-hog-caught-in-Texas-6043871.php

My friend in Cross Plains said "I don’t mess with those boys from De Leon"
I saw big hog tracks on his property. Saw an huge Ol’ hog ghosting through the shadows before enough light for scope. One of those "is that really what I’m seeing type sightings".
These are not largest but the picture I could find(Who takes pictures of hog tracks???).

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: 790#'s. - 09/27/23 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by 1860.colt

Tis NOT my story.
krmitchell has posted a thread. It shows different hog
cheers don't believe one get that big in wild.
Have a good one.
flag

Tis your thread.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: 790#'s. - 09/28/23 12:57 AM

It’s this picture fro 2015
Posted By: FacePaint

Re: 790#'s. - 09/28/23 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by MClark
Originally Posted by krmitchell

My friend in Cross Plains said "I don’t mess with those boys from De Leon"
I saw big hog tracks on his property. Saw an huge Ol’ hog ghosting through the shadows before enough light for scope. One of those "is that really what I’m seeing type sightings".
These are not largest but the picture I could find(Who takes pictures of hog tracks???).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
This hog was taken in Coleman/Cross Plains by a freind of mine a couple of years ago.

Attached picture FullSizeR.jpg
Attached picture 20201127_124219.jpg

Re: 790#'s. - 09/28/23 01:17 PM

Link?

Re: 790#'s. - 09/28/23 03:24 PM

Link?

[Linked Image]

Don't have link, as mentioned, pic in krmitchel's link is different.
No one says ya have ta read me threads nor post.

Hogs that big 780#'s ? You actually think they get that big in wild ?
My hunting was on (wooded) lease, some feeders, & mostly OSBWMA.
You hunt several places farm land. We're chances of hog could get ta be in 300#range.
How many you seen weighing 500#'s.
Friend had a pig farm, boar weigh close ta 800#'s, it got feed daily, & in small pen.
Didn't havera forge in wild for food.

Got D- in grammer, was busy spending time out in d woods.
Some pics on this form people try make hog look bigger than what it really is.
Did a few photos different thread of hog took.
One me AR in front of hog, next pic, AR behind hog, ta show difference.

Still say: this is hunting forum, got on hear ta see if any one wanted ta do some hog hunting on WMA's
Help out with hog problem, seen lots of people get shot down bye some on here, (they probley never meet the person), asking ta help out. The problem tis : hunting has become a richman sport.
Low-income workers can't afford today's prices. They too looking for places ta hunt.
Tis a big suporter of WMA's do it yourself hunts.
Some can't handle the truth,.
It wasn't my grammer, that put me on peoples ignorance list, tis way i type.

confused2 havent seen to many of your video's lately. Because of the heat ?
rock_on Best wishes.

flag
Posted By: FacePaint

Re: 790#'s. - 09/28/23 04:35 PM

My apologies I should have given more detail of the above pic. I dont do any social media other than this or post because I'm not good at it.
I was not there when this hog was taken but I do belive I saw him the evening before. I was hunting hogs with my guide freind late one evening ( no thremal gear ) over a feeder on the edge of a big, tall and somewhat thick sunflower field we had been dove hunting on. We took some hogs that had came into the feeder, upon going to recover them I heard something out in the middle of the sunflower field and saw the top of the sunflowers swaying, waving. It was moving fast going up the field and could only make out somthing black and only the top of it, right below the tall sunflowers. As I continue to watch it came out of the sunflower field maybe 150 yards and made a right thur an open gate hauling [censored] down the length of the bar wire fence on the othe side. The top of his back looked to be as high as the top wire on the fence. I told my guide freind to look but he was busy with the dead hogs but I told him what I saw. If we had waited a little longer I think he would have come into that feeder but he was smart that day. The next day or two my guide friend texted me these pics saying they had gotten him. Thats my adventure and all I know about this hog. I have not seen anything or heard of anything esle regarding this hog.

Re: 790#'s. - 09/28/23 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by FacePaint
My apologies I should have given more detail of the above pic. I dont do any social media other than this or post because I'm not good at it.
I was not there when this hog was taken but I do belive I saw him the evening before. I was hunting hogs with my guide freind late one evening ( no thremal gear ) over a feeder on the edge of a big, tall and somewhat thick sunflower field we had been dove hunting on. We took some hogs that had came into the feeder, upon going to recover them I heard something out in the middle of the sunflower field and saw the top of the sunflowers swaying, waving. It was moving fast going up the field and could only make out somthing black and only the top of it, right below the tall sunflowers. As I continue to watch it came out of the sunflower field maybe 150 yards and made a right thur an open gate hauling [censored] down the length of the bar wire fence on the othe side. The top of his back looked to be as high as the top wire on the fence. I told my guide freind to look but he was busy with the dead hogs but I told him what I saw. If we had waited a little longer I think he would have come into that feeder but he was smart that day. The next day or two my guide friend texted me these pics saying they had gotten him. Thats my adventure and all I know about this hog. I have not seen anything or heard of anything esle regarding this hog.

confused2 who U apologising too ? One less hog .
Looks like it foraging on grain feed more than one in d woods
flag
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: 790#'s. - 09/30/23 02:30 AM

I watched a 705 pound domestic hog go across the scales at a local processor. The pic in the original post ain’t even close.

Re: 790#'s. - 09/30/23 02:21 PM

cheers as mentioned, that's the pic shown in article i seen,
krmitchel has a different pic. That hog could be @ the 800# range.

A hog ta get that size, isn't living (hiding/surviving)
out in woods, foraging around. Just my 2cents
Farm pen feed can get that big.

It could get that big in one of the HF type places for hog hunts,
we're protein is feed, & like the big rack deer, is passed up.
Let age, (weight) put on ta draw more hunters.

Not sure, if remember right the hog was held down by 2 bulldogs.
& feet tied. That's a dang big hog ta try that on. Even a 300# hog
would be hard ta hold down.

Did some old school branding on ranch, & some work with veterinary
casterating hogs, without squeeze shoot.

edit : archery has already started here, health & money funds,
have kept me out so far, bro's & me 80 some year young mom have been out.
Mom had a buck within range, but was head on, so no shot.
Areas i have trail cams, plan ta hunt, look good.
One area had pic of 5 deer, 4 were bucks.
Yet when shotgun/muzzleloader season hits,
deer have already changed thar patterns.
Archery starts today in texas .
Best wishes.

flag
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum