Texas Hunting Forum

Dry...again

Posted By: Creekrunner

Dry...again - 01/11/23 01:02 PM

I know I'm a worry wort, but it's getting awfully powdery again. Except for those two+ weeks of drizzle and a little rain at the end of it, we haven't had squat. I put out protein right before Christmas.

Does anyone know if El Niño is supposed to move off in the Spring? Is there a current site that calmy discusses/forecasts the weather pattern without the climate alarmists agenda front and center?
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Dry...again - 01/11/23 01:26 PM

Ya noticed same thing at the lease. Tanks are full but that’s because was no grass to keep the water from running back in the fall.

Get ready 5-6 years from now are going to rough years. 22 and most likely 23 fawn crops will be rough
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Dry...again - 01/11/23 01:26 PM

I know California is flooding.
Posted By: Bones72

Re: Dry...again - 01/11/23 02:03 PM

Seems to me we go into perpetual drought with periods of intense flooding. No such thing as a "normal" year here in Central Texas. What seems to be making it worse is all the Californians, and other escapees from high tax/blue states moving into the I-35 corridor making higher demands on limited water resources. Lakes around my neck of the woods will have trees growing in em if the weather doesn't make a significant change. Whitebass runs are going to be real poor. On the other hand doves could be real good if you find a tank that's at least a mud puddle in September. I guess it'll be to the coast for fishing, if gas prices hold, and praying on the deer to come through in some kind of fashion.
Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: Dry...again - 01/11/23 06:44 PM

Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Dry...again - 01/11/23 09:46 PM

What did you expect when you dug out that tank?
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Dry...again - 01/11/23 10:13 PM

My winter rye just burned up in Jan.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Dry...again - 01/11/23 11:05 PM

El Nino at least throught all of 2023 with some reports 2024 too. You know the weather man/gal do get it a little more right these days with all the technology. Too bad this cold front not bringing any rain. I know CA would like to send us some
Posted By: GNTX

Re: Dry...again - 01/11/23 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Always ready 2 hunt
El Nino at least throught all of 2023 with some reports 2024 too. You know the weather man/gal do get it a little more right these days with all the technology. Too bad this cold front not bringing any rain. I know CA would like to send us some

Saw a news report yesterday talking about how they really don’t have any way of capturing all of that excess water to have on hand for dry spells. Most of the excess rain runs right back into the ocean.
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Dry...again - 01/12/23 02:56 PM

Yup
We had a wet December with a 6"+ downpour on 12/11 and then another .35" on the 19th. It filled tanks up by now we are getting dry once again. Could sure use an 1" or so to help the winter grass and clovers along a little. I'm stretching my last few rolls of hay as much as I can. smdh
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Dry...again - 01/12/23 03:32 PM

I have heard of folks in the northwest getting depressed with overcast/gray skies. Who would've thought bluebird clear skies could do the same thing? We need rain. Bad.
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: Dry...again - 01/13/23 03:41 PM

Hope we don't have a recurrence of last year!!!!

As I stated in my early post Worst season for us in 12 years!!!

Only saw one shooter, No Fawns,

Hunted every day but one week both Archery and rifle. No daytime sighting at all for the last 2 weeks. Cameras showed only night time visits to feeders.

8/22 and 9/1 delivered 9 inches of flash flooding and vegetation was amazing. Day time Feeder activity was non existent for the whole season.

Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Dry...again - 01/13/23 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by GNTX
Originally Posted by Always ready 2 hunt

Saw a news report yesterday talking about how they really don’t have any way of capturing all of that excess water to have on hand for dry spells. Most of the excess rain runs right back into the ocean.

Some have wanted to build/create lakes there for decades but the environmentalists have fought it every step of the way. They want to blame lack of water on climate change but it's more likely that the problem is twice the number of residents using the same amount of resources.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Dry...again - 01/15/23 07:02 AM

My pond is low but bedding traps was easy last week. The dirt was not dry after about 3 inches down.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Dry...again - 01/15/23 02:19 PM

Hard freezes put a hurt on our oats and winter peas. No moisture in last 5 weeks hasn't helped. Springs are doing good for amount of rain last year. Winter Peas and protein have deer in great shape. Deer are not eating that much protein after the freeze as one might think. Corn feeder activity is up a bit but deer sightings are hit or miss.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Dry...again - 01/17/23 11:24 AM

Three ponds too dang low; one almost gone. Spring fed creek is still going but won’t for long.
Posted By: don k

Re: Dry...again - 01/17/23 12:51 PM

All of my springs have quit. I was cleaning out a creek fed spring that goes into one of my tanks. I dug down about 4 ft. and it was damp but no water.
Posted By: tlk

Re: Dry...again - 01/17/23 12:58 PM

just read El Nino is forcast to continue through all of 2023

Re: Dry...again - 01/17/23 02:19 PM

Well aren't you the bluebird of happiness. It is going to be painful buying and putting out protein. I'm going to need to decide real soon whether to keep all the corn feeders going or drop down to just a couple, like I usually do. I try to narrow it down in an effort to funnel the @#$%^^ pigs to my traps.
Posted By: NGHTTRN

Re: Dry...again - 01/18/23 01:33 AM

82% we will be in a "neutral" state by April this year.

Moving to El Nino later on. We've been bone dry.

Re: Dry...again - 01/18/23 01:39 AM

The suicide prevention forecast for rain is 40% for Saturday here. Then 20% for a couple of days after that. That will go to 0% in the next few days like the trend has been.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Dry...again - 01/18/23 03:04 AM

Yep, bone dry and SOL.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Dry...again - 01/18/23 04:20 AM

Farmer's almanac predicts a dry summer...but they've also predicted a colder than normal January. I remember reading somewhere that they predict the nino winds to change for 2023, ending the drought, but I can't find it now.
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Dry...again - 01/18/23 09:03 AM

The weather is supposed to return to a more normal pattern starting in March with a El Niño. We hope. It’s been 3 years of La Niña.

Re: Dry...again - 01/18/23 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
The suicide prevention forecast for rain is 40% for Saturday here. Then 20% for a couple of days after that. That will go to 0% in the next few days like the trend has been.

Yup
Exactly right

They have no clue and throw those chances of rain in there 'just in case'!

Re: Dry...again - 01/18/23 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Huntmaster
The weather is supposed to return to a more normal pattern starting in March with a El Niño. We hope. It’s been 3 years of La Niña.

I'm more confused than ever between El Niño and La Niña. Something's gotta change and get a little wetter. Praying.

Re: Dry...again - 01/18/23 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Originally Posted by Huntmaster

I'm more confused than ever between El Niño and La Niña. Something's gotta change and get a little wetter. Praying.

El Nino = wet in south texas

La Nina = dust bowl

We either want neutral or El Nino

Re: Dry...again - 01/23/23 02:33 PM

drier than a popcorn fart again. Haven't had a drop this year yet and praying this 100% chance tomorrow gives the ground a drink at our place

Re: Dry...again - 01/23/23 03:07 PM

We have a fence being extended at our new home; pipe with double pipe on top. The welders have had 3 small grass fires, two of them on the nice neighbor's yard. They're waiting to start again 'til Wednesday, hopefully after some rain. They'll be starting on the not-so-nice neighbor's side; the one with the trash dump back yard, fading wood home siding, big star rusting down the garage wall (on our side) and thinks my fence sticking up 4 inches above his will detract from the beauty of his white...plastic...fence (that has sections falling down). The lack of perspective of some people is astounding.

Keep praying for rain.

Re: Dry...again - 01/23/23 03:30 PM

Were supposed to start fence work next week. Im scraping it to bare dirt to avoid a grassfire.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Dry...again - 01/23/23 03:33 PM

I was in Bracketteville over the weekend and boy it was really really dry.

Re: Dry...again - 01/24/23 01:47 PM

Raining. Decent. Thanks to The Almighty.
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Dry...again - 01/24/23 02:54 PM

I have had about a quarter of an inch at the house, more north of town but not sure how much. Praying that we get blessed with more before the system moves out.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Dry...again - 01/24/23 03:08 PM

.50” here already this morning.

Re: Dry...again - 01/24/23 06:36 PM

Not anything worth mentioning in Crystal City.

Couple of wet deer.
Posted By: don k

Re: Dry...again - 01/24/23 07:24 PM

I got an inch here in Bandera this morning. Most rain at one time in quite a while.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Dry...again - 01/24/23 08:49 PM

Total for the day .84”. Now the sun is out.

Re: Dry...again - 01/24/23 09:58 PM

Boerne

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Dry...again - 01/25/23 03:43 PM

I ended up with .4" in town and .5" on the river about 9 miles west. While our gauge down south on the county line broke, I am guessing about a quarter of an inch. This is not near enough especially when the wind got to blowing near 40 mph out of the west yesterday afternoon. It is extremely important that we get some good rains this late winter and early spring so that we can get some forbes and winter grass growing.
Adios,
Gary

Re: Dry...again - 01/25/23 04:14 PM

.27" to .31" in NW Gillespie County. Glad to get what we did but like everyone else.....we need more and sooner the better.

Re: Dry...again - 01/26/23 10:17 PM

Blessed with .75" 1/24/23

Every drop counts for sure

Re: Dry...again - 01/30/23 01:10 PM

Got a little drizzle over the weekend here.
About 15/100 total.
I'll take every last drop and thankful for it
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Dry...again - 01/30/23 01:48 PM

We have a forecast of rain for 8 of the next 10 days. East Texas. Already saturated.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Dry...again - 01/31/23 03:49 PM

Does ice count?

Sigh.
Posted By: Papalote

Re: Dry...again - 02/07/23 07:12 PM

I got 1/2" during last week's cold spell south of ft mckavett. Not much but better than nothing. I did get to burn a few cedar piles.

Re: Dry...again - 02/07/23 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Papalote
I did get to burn a few cedar piles.
up

Yeah, during the ice, worrying about the ranch, I finally found something to feel guilty about - I shoulda been out there burning the dumps that have the old, crappy blinds in them that I've drug from all over the ranch. bang

'Guess there's always next year's ice storm. confused2
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Dry...again - 02/20/23 01:21 PM

Left NB at 10 Am to go down to NE Lasalle County. Had some feed to put put. Tanks are in fine shape, but the pasture is near desert like. Almost everything is grey. The notable exceptions being the green prickly pear and guayocan. Not a leaf on a mesquite tree. The black brush is attempting to begin it's bloom and it's gold is somewhat vibrant.

Protein consumption isn't quite robust yet, but those lil' deer ae sure hitting the cottonseed hard. it's been a while since we have had good rains in March and early April. I can only hope it will be different this year.

Re: Dry...again - 02/20/23 02:05 PM

It was too dusty for the wife, with her compromised lungs, for her to drive her buggy around the ranch. She had to slum it with me driving the 1/2 ton. 'Was gonna turn the windmill on for her goldfish, but the tail spring has come off. bang I ain't climbing up there. $$$

Come on El Niño!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum