Texas Hunting Forum

Hog Cleaning

Posted By: DLALLDER

Hog Cleaning - 08/03/09 06:56 AM

Okay, I need some help. I have killed and cleaned several hogs in the last 2-3 years but I have always had a nice cleaning shed to hang em from. I am going hunting where that will not be possible so what is the best way to take the hams, loins and maybe front shoulders with it laying on the ground. I ain't no spring chicken so I need the easiest way possible.

Posted By: chouse

Re: Hog Cleaning - 08/03/09 07:17 AM

Do it just like you would any big game animal. Gut it and then work one side at a time. I take the tenderloins first, after i gut the animal then lay it on its side. Use the skin like a blanket to keep the meat off the ground. Get the backstrap then the ham and the front shoulder from the first side. Then roll him over and do the same thing. Good luck.

Posted By: cable

Re: Hog Cleaning - 08/03/09 07:19 AM

Shoot it. Take a pic. Leave it. Repeat

Posted By: mightyp

Re: Hog Cleaning - 08/03/09 07:20 AM

Quote:

Shoot it. Take a pic. Leave it. Repeat

lol...true story.

Posted By: ouixch

Re: Hog Cleaning - 08/03/09 07:21 AM

go get yourself a crank winch at tractor supply and some rope and hang it from a tree

Posted By: jodster

Re: Hog Cleaning - 08/03/09 07:32 AM

I'd still hang them in a tree from there hind legs (spread). Take a cummalong if you have to do it by your self. I usually gut them after they fall (Yankee habit)

While hanging head down Skin them, remove front quarters, back strap, neck, other usable meat and fat(meat and fat on ribs and belly) anything worth making sausage, tenderloins, cut back bone at hind quarters and carcass falls, carefully split hind quarters (this is when your meat has the best chance to fall in the dirt) and remove rear feet while hind quarters laying in cooler , remove liver and heart from gut pile. My brothers FIL uses heart, kidney and liver for sausage. I love deer liver fried in mushrooms onion butter.

PS I use Quarters and neck for roast, left over roast is cut up in to stew. back stap and tender loins maybe steaks or something special. other meat buger-lean sausage-fatty. Big hogs all sausage.

Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: Hog Cleaning - 08/03/09 08:03 AM

i like the leave it idea for hogs lol, but other than that, id find me a good come along (hand crank winch) and hang that bastage from a tree. ive never had a nice cleaning shed, i typically hang em from a tree, or from a tractor bucket... the tracto is my fav since i can raise and lower it lol!

Posted By: jodster

Re: Hog Cleaning - 08/03/09 08:13 AM

I can't beleive how may people leave them lying. Wild porkers ar sum darn nice eaten yall!!!!!

Posted By: cable

Re: Hog Cleaning - 08/03/09 08:26 AM

They are good. I love to eat them, but if you kill a lot of them every week (which I don't- but there are AT LEAST 5 killed every week at my buddies' ranch) then what the heck are you going to do with 250 hogs a year? We shoot them and leave them and if someone wants one then it gets cleaned. Otherwise we are just trying to control a problem.

Posted By: DSST_Construction

Re: Hog Cleaning - 08/03/09 08:46 AM

Quote:

They are good. I love to eat them, but if you kill a lot of them every week (which I don't- but there are AT LEAST 5 killed every week at my buddies' ranch) then what the heck are you going to do with 250 hogs a year? We shoot them and leave them and if someone wants one then it gets cleaned. Otherwise we are just trying to control a problem.

find someone that will eat them and use the meat

Posted By: B-swit

Re: Hog Cleaning - 08/03/09 10:21 AM

just leave them in this heat. i cleaned two a couple weeks ago and ive already told myself if anymore get killed this summer there going straight to our bone pile. no more hog cleaning in this heat for me.

Posted By: SpoonPlatoon

Re: Hog Cleaning - 08/03/09 07:21 PM

When we just want the hams and loins we string em up by the nearest tree then skin the back quarters. After skinning them we make two cuts, one one each side of the backbone from where you stopped on the hams to the base of the neck. Then skin from their back towards their sides and cut the loins out. After that pop the ball sockets outta place on the back hams and you have a pig that you didnt have to gut, and lotsa good meat!

Posted By: B-swit

Re: Hog Cleaning - 08/03/09 09:15 PM

Quote:

just leave them in this heat. i cleaned two a couple weeks ago and ive already told myself if anymore get killed this summer there going straight to our bone pile. no more hog cleaning in this heat for me.

not to mention i spent over 20 bucks last week buying atleast three bags of ice a day trying to keep it iced down in this heat until i could get it to the processor.

Posted By: scattergun

Re: Hog Cleaning - 08/04/09 05:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

not to mention i spent over 20 bucks last week buying atleast three bags of ice a day trying to keep it iced down in this heat until i could get it to the processor.

Not sure I would have told that story.

Posted By: billy gordon

Re: Hog Cleaning - 08/04/09 05:57 AM

bigdaddy590,Thats about the easyiest way i know also.

Posted By: pig out

Re: Hog Cleaning - 08/04/09 06:50 PM

there is a pulley at academy for like 20 bucks that i use to clean all my big game

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum