Texas Hunting Forum

Cabin or camper?

Posted By: Sewer rat

Cabin or camper? - 12/07/20 07:57 AM

We just bought a hunting property. We are looking to have some sort of place to stay there. There are many options but we are leaning towards a cabin of some type as RVs seem to deteriorate quickly. I was looking at some of the shipping container cabins made by xcalibur containers. Anyone have something like this? It doesn’t have to be too fancy but something on site would be nice.
Posted By: Papalote

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/07/20 09:20 AM

Build something tight and insulated. You will be glad long term.
Keep mouse bait out 24/7. They will move in when you leave.
RVs are quick and easy but problematic.
We progressed from '76 Airstream to AthensParkHome (park model RV) to a properly built wooden structure over 20 years.
With all the calamity of late, building materials are up in price.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/07/20 12:02 PM

Cabin up
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/07/20 12:17 PM

Get a container cabin by Xcaliber. You won’t be disappointed.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/07/20 12:19 PM

X caliber container. Brent is my neighbor and makes them, perfect and secure for deer hunting. Also won't lose value.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/07/20 12:19 PM

Neither.

We stay in an 18 foot cargo trailer. We added electrical that’s ran by the generator, a simple 1500 watt heater burns you out. The walls and roof are insulated with regular fiberglass insulation, really helps with sound. We have had it since 2015 and have zero leaks, never had a mouse inside, and never have bugs.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/07/20 12:21 PM

Last time I looked, those converted shipping containers were very pricey. I'd start with a large portable building being delivered and get a general feel for the place first, then decide if you want to upgrade.

I've only had one travel trailer for a short time - "Chateau Debris". grin You're right, they can become a problem. If you enjoy a "Zen-like" attitude towards maintenance and can stay vigilant as to it's condition, they're great. I'm not that guy.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/07/20 01:13 PM

If you can, take some time and research your options . Five years ago, I needed new accommodations. A RV would have been easiest, but and for many reasons, I did not want one. We do have water, septic and electrical at camp. I just had to tie into it. I was not in a rush and started internet searching. One day on CraigsList, I found what appeared to be a rough on the outside, but good on the inside converted 10 X 30 job trailer. It was on a deer lease that a guy was vacating He wanted $6K. Took one look and wrote that out. Arranged for a transport service to come pick up and haul two hours from Westoff to Fowlerton. They tied it down and I had buddies help me hook up the utilities. When delivered, this is what it looked like.

[Linked Image]

I was fine with that, but Wifeypoo made bring her down the next week with a power washer, a bucket of cool roof and some paint. We left and it looked like this.

[Linked Image]

You can work with 8 foot widths, but that two extra feet we have is really convenient. We took out the bunks in the BR and put in a queen bed, had to add a couch, replace a light fixture in the kitchen and the large A/C up front. Been using it ever since and believe I have real value left.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I have been seeing some very good "oil field deals" out there. You juts have to look.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/07/20 01:16 PM

X calibers are nice
Posted By: Dove Murderer

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/07/20 01:38 PM

I just completed my deer camp with an x-caliber hunting cabin and storage container. Outside of a delayed delivery on the cabin, the experience was great and end product great. Most of the other members of my camp who run travel trailers with covers seem to be taking a close look at mine and are talking about converting once their trailers finally implode. PM me if you’d like to discuss, or if you’d like me to text pictures.
Posted By: DUKFVR

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/07/20 02:14 PM

Having done both on our property, cabin all the way.
Posted By: TPACK

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/07/20 02:15 PM

Just a thought. They will probably TAX anything you do except a travel trailer.
Posted By: B_Man

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/07/20 02:30 PM

we had a nice 5th wheel out there but the place was real rough- basically no concrete pad or anything
and we had mice problems all the time. We decided to go with a small cabin, concrete floor with foam insulation, etc.
and have never looked back. You can finish it to whatever level you want. It was a lot more reasonable than some of those
finished out storage containers. See pictures below of 5th wheel and cabin pics.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/07/20 03:19 PM

Container, but I wouldn't pay for build-out. If you can't weld then id pay for door, window and ac to be cut in. Rest I'd do your self and save a significant amount of $
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/07/20 03:28 PM

Don't get a camper unless you are worried about the tax implications and/or want to use the camper elsewhere. Something more permanent will be better and more comfortable. My buddy got a repossessed double wide for his ranch for around 25k delivered a few years back if memory serves me correct. Might try to go that route.
Posted By: Kingsview Safaris

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/07/20 03:31 PM

Cabin!
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/07/20 06:17 PM

You can buy those pre-fab cabins on skids for pretty reasonable, and at one place I have one of those and it works for a short stay place. The other we have a fully built barndo which is obviously nicer, but not cheap.

I'd never buy a travel trailer to put on a place that I owned.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/07/20 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Sewer rat
We just bought a hunting property. We are looking to have some sort of place to stay there. There are many options but we are leaning towards a cabin of some type as RVs seem to deteriorate quickly. I was looking at some of the shipping container cabins made by xcalibur containers. Anyone have something like this? It doesn’t have to be too fancy but something on site would be nice.

refrigerated trailers can turn out good, already insulated
Posted By: Papalote

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/08/20 12:00 AM

Look at Athens Park Homes. 399 SQ ft. Park model RV. Think tiny mobile home. Titled so non taxable. Only good for two people though.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/08/20 12:13 AM

Rv’s are easy but a temporary measure. The container homes are great as well but not the most attractive option. Ranch king makes some really nice metal cabins.

A barndo would get my vote if you can stand a new build.

Where is the property located? Getting good trades to build can be something to consider
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/08/20 12:25 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

To my surprise when we purchased our 1/4 section my wife took and interest in a Morgan building. Keeping Ma Ma happy was the best I ever could have done
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/08/20 12:33 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/08/20 12:50 AM

Another thing to consider is, is this gonna be a year round place for the family to use, or just mainly during hunting season with a bunch of dudes?

That can affect the accommodation situation greatly

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/08/20 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Flashprism
[Linked Image]

To my surprise when we purchased our 1/4 section my wife took and interest in a Morgan building. Keeping Ma Ma happy was the best I ever could have done

We insure dozens of places for people who have fabbed out something similar to this. Most all seem to be well pleased.
Posted By: TLew

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/08/20 03:56 AM

What does one of those Morgan's go for? Guessing it would be considered an improved building and taxed which a landowner (when you're a leasee) wouldn't appreciate?

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/08/20 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Container, but I wouldn't pay for build-out. If you can't weld then id pay for door, window and ac to be cut in. Rest I'd do your self and save a significant amount of $

Don’t even need to weld. Buy one with doors on both ends. Build a wall just inside the double doors with entry door and windows. Shut the double doors when gone for security. No exposed windows to get broken by hail or criminals.

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/08/20 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by BigPig

Don’t even need to weld. Buy one with doors on both ends. Build a wall just inside the double doors with entry door and windows. Shut the double doors when gone for security. No exposed windows to get broken by hail or criminals.

True, but I just think a door in middle makes for a better use of space inside.

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/08/20 09:30 AM

If I buy the 40 foot it will have an inward opening door somewhere around the middle, but if I get the 20 then it will not. I’m not sure the 40 will be able to make the turn into our property unless the trailer has slider axles

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/08/20 03:08 PM

Building 8700.00 well 2500 about another 7000 to finish Craig's list mostly total about $18,000
Posted By: jhunter77

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/08/20 03:44 PM

Just keep in mind if you go with a container that's not prefabbed you need to be sire there's plenty of ventilation. I've heard several stories of people running propane heaters and not waking up.

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/08/20 04:03 PM

If I buy the 40 foot it will have an inward opening door somewhere around the middle, but if I get the 20 then it will not. I’m not sure the 40 will be able to make the turn into our property unless the trailer has slider axles

On a 20’ if you put door in the middle it gives the ability to put pocket bunks on the end. But if you don't need them, the end door makes it a lot easier and cheaper from a build out perspective
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/08/20 04:15 PM

We bought a 12x60 office trailer that had been made into a living space by the previous owner for $3k. Much better build quality than an RV, wider than a shipping container, and no taxes since it's titled and on axles. And we'll easily get our money back out of it if we ever decide to sell.
Posted By: jadkins

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/08/20 04:39 PM

I have a bumper pull slide out camper that I bought new 2 years ago and so far no issues. I keep at ranch uncovered and pull it somewhere once or twice a year. I'm at the ranch and "run it" a couple times a month year round. No issues so far. Mice got in it this summer and I caught 2 and haven't seen evidence since. I keep bait out now.

When should this thing start falling apart. Any suggestions on upkeep aside from building a cover for it?

JA
Posted By: jnd59

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/08/20 05:42 PM

Ok. So here is our story. We built a small, one room cabin and added on to it as we progressed. Anytime there was remodeling we would look for old windows and doors and ask if we could use them. After about 7 years we had a 1600 foot cabin built on the cheap but air tight with sheet rocked walls, electricity and a water tank. In 2007, a range fire took all of it including a 53 jeep I had just spent a year re-building. We hired a bulldozer to clear the area around the cabin before fire season but it didn't make a difference. Unlikely to happen, I know, but if we'd still had trailers we could have gotten them out before the fire. That being said, I would rebuild if I were inclined to be on a lease again. If you have some construction knowledge and watch the ads for deals, you can build one for a reasonable price. You don't need a slab, you can pour footings your self. Honestly, on the first one room cabin, we didn't even poor footings. We just buried cinder blocks and set the floor joists on them. Worked ok for about 4 years then we had to reset them.
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/08/20 06:44 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Just curious, but what size is that? My wife has mentioned a cabin a while back, and got me to thinking about something similar to this to put on her family land. We have 2 young boys, but want something big enough for the 4 of us plus eventually possibly a couple of their friends when they get older. Not trying to hijack the OP. You can PM if preffered.

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/09/20 01:59 PM

ZK 14x36 incl 4 ft porch

we had them add lofts front and back and it has 1 bedroom so sleeps 12 with couches

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/09/20 02:00 PM

ZK 14x36 incl 4 ft porch

we had them add lofts front and back and it has 1 bedroom so sleeps 10 with couches

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Man I like that
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/09/20 02:18 PM

I really like the idea of a container build. In the end, I went with a site built awning over my camper that is pretty nice. I would have bought the container and done the work myself, and been way under what I have in my current set up. But, I just couldn't solve the portability issue and ease or resale of my camper over the container. I would have put up an interior wall, leaving secure storage for my ATV and other gear and equipment. Nice finished out interior the rest of the way. Doing it myself I saw about $4500.00 all in for my needs.

Given your level of permanency, it seems the container would be a good start. Even if you pony up and pay someone to do it for you, you could always let it go with the place if you sell.

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/09/20 02:27 PM

There are other opportunities besides Morgan for a shell cabin. Check out Derksen for one.
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/09/20 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Biscuit
ZK 14x36 incl 4 ft porch

we had them add lofts front and back and it has 1 bedroom so sleeps 10 with couches

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Man I like that

I do too, a lot. That's awesome Flashprism. That puts things into perspective. Very nice set up.

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/09/20 04:23 PM

Flashprism -- mind sharing a ballpark on what the bill winds up being on one of those (base price, build out, transport, etc.)?
Posted By: TMonjure

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/09/20 07:02 PM

I had a cabin built by Amazing Buildings it was just a shell, 16x40 and did all of the finish out myself. At the time the shell was about 9k and all the finish out and furnishing was another 15k. Well worth it.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/09/20 07:22 PM

So a cabin shed or fabricated shed is considered a taxable homestead on a pad or pilings? Is there any value exclusion for tax purposes, $15K or less?
Posted By: TMonjure

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/09/20 07:33 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/09/20 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by TMonjure
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nice

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/09/20 08:37 PM

really nice
Posted By: Lotto

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/11/20 03:36 AM

Less than $15K 24x32

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Sewer rat

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/11/20 05:13 AM

Thanks for all the replies. Wanted to give an update. We bought a cheap <10k camper today. We are going to use it for now while we research and build something more permanent. I think we will be able to sell the camper for close to what we paid for it. With some luck we will be staying at the ranch this weekend.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/11/20 11:10 AM

Thanks for all the replies. Wanted to give an update. We bought a cheap <10k camper today. We are going to use it for now while we research and build something more permanent. I think we will be able to sell the camper for close to what we paid for it. With some luck we will be staying at the ranch this weekend.

Good move, You can have a cover built over your camper for not much, like about 2k. Let me know if you want a contact.

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/11/20 12:19 PM

Yep, good move. Have big fun with it all.

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/11/20 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson

Good move, You can have a cover built over your camper for not much, like about 2k. Let me know if you want a contact.

$2k cover? I'm in for contact info. Almost all of the ones I've gotten calls on are $8k+ for a double wide cover
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/12/20 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
If you can, take some time and research your options . Five years ago, I needed new accommodations. A RV would have been easiest, but and for many reasons, I did not want one. We do have water, septic and electrical at camp. I just had to tie into it. I was not in a rush and started internet searching. One day on CraigsList, I found what appeared to be a rough on the outside, but good on the inside converted 10 X 30 job trailer. It was on a deer lease that a guy was vacating He wanted $6K. Took one look and wrote that out. Arranged for a transport service to come pick up and haul two hours from Westoff to Fowlerton. They tied it down and I had buddies help me hook up the utilities. When delivered, this is what it looked like.

[Linked Image]

I was fine with that, but Wifeypoo made bring her down the next week with a power washer, a bucket of cool roof and some paint. We left and it looked like this.

[Linked Image]

You can work with 8 foot widths, but that two extra feet we have is really convenient. We took out the bunks in the BR and put in a queen bed, had to add a couch, replace a light fixture in the kitchen and the large A/C up front. Been using it ever since and believe I have real value left.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I have been seeing some very good "oil field deals" out there. You juts have to look.

Nice setup!

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/13/20 02:53 PM

TLEW
All costs 2012 Base year
I have detail on all but an overview is:

Building empty structure 8800.00
interior Paneling, insul
fixtures, Cabinets, appliances
etc 6000.00
Well drill, pipe and pump 5000.00
Total 19800.00

If someone wants more detail message me. I have accounting degree and can overwhelm you if you want.
I am not wealthy but a jack of all and master of nothing. Did ALL work and bought Craigs list, damaged and or close outs at lowes and HD. So cost is surpressed,
Hasn't burned down so I guess we are OK
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/13/20 03:05 PM

For a purely hunting season experience and just myself on 1-2 night excursions, I'd either do motel or travel trailer, not permanent structure. Motels are definitely more comforts, not to mention restaurants nearby but is also nice to be able to hit the travel trailer mid-day for a couple of hour siesta. I myself did the motel thing until this season but found a fairly inexpensive travel trailer on THF this Feb. and have enjoyed it very much. I have no electricity or water but do have an airtight and leak free place to sleep conveniently. For my short stays, it works out fine.
Posted By: lthomas132

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/13/20 03:08 PM

Our 500 ac. came with a basic cabin. Bathroom, heat & AC. My hunting buds are the maintenance crew.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: lthomas132

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/13/20 03:29 PM

We created a facetious FaceBook page for the Grassburr Ranch: https://www.facebook.com/Grassburr-Ranch-1727369484004911
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/20/20 08:16 PM

A tiny homes website that sends out emails about tiny homes, some for sale some for nightly rentals. Thousands of ideas for small cabin builds. It is amazing how many people rent places like this just to get away for the weekends and pay exorbitant prices to basically camp in wood house/shack.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Cabin or camper? - 12/20/20 08:39 PM

Here is another site for small homes https://tinyhousetalk.com/

If you sign up for the emails you will get a lot of ideas for a cabin build.

And the cream of the crop a forum. https://www.small-cabin.com/forum/
This is the best for a lease. https://www.small-cabin.com/forum/2_599_0.html
Create the walls using 1x6's or 2x6s or 1x8s or 2x8s so they interlock as done in the link. The base instead of a slab, use a layer of 12x12 paving stones on a bed of sand. Shed style in a 8x12 or 8x16. one long front wall higher than the back wall, sloped side walls.

The door and window units can be prefabbed to fit screw in to the openings, and removed intact for disassembly. The roof, by making a shed style roof, using sheet metal, it can be disassembled. The walls stack and unstack like a giant Lincoln Logs toy kit
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum